The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Sdbucs

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Sdbucs »

I mean I'd say Evans, Godwin, Palmer, McMillan is one of the top of the league at overall WR depth. Could be much worse.

I mean hell, look at the Lions. Outside of Amon-Ra they have literally nobody.
The 49ers have Deebo, Ayiuk, and Pearsall.
The Dolphins have Tyreek and Waddle.

Those are 3 of the best offenses in football.

You guys are acting like the sky is falling at WR. Look around you.

This team will go as far as Baker Mayfield can take us.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If we handle things right on defense.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:21 am
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:25 am

Well, it won't be Shepherd, so that already reduces the pool. I've seen enough of Palmer to believe he's the legitimate NFL WR who's a good player to have on the roster. I don't know if he could be a true WR3, but it's possible, at the very least I see him as a WR4 and happy to have him. I see Jarrett as backend roster fodder and the most likely to be the first guy cut, if someone else shows something. McMillan... we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Interesting, I was thinking we could get much more out of Jarrett. Atleast as much as what Justin Watson is giving the Chiefs.
You may be right. I'd like to see your projection of how that would work out, if so, at who's detriment?

Here's where I'm coming from... Baker Mayfield is our QB, not Patrick Mahomes. We're not going to throw the ball 600 times... well, we might, if we're losing a lot. We threw the ball 566 times last year and I don't see a major jump in pass attempts this year, do you? Hey, let's say we do... if we throw the ball 600 times this season and Mayfield completes 65% of his passes (a slight increase from last year), 7.4 ypa (a little increase from last year), with a td% of 5.2% (another increase), his stat line will look like this: 390 comp / 4500 yards / 31 TD's.

Do you think his numbers will look like that this season (to note, only Dak Prescott did that last year - only Mahomes the year before)? No? Me either, but let's say they do. That's 26 receptions, 456 yards, and 3 TD's more, than last year. That's almost exactly what Watson (27/460/3), got last year. So, if you think Jarrett can get "At least as much as" that, you're saying that 100% of my projected upgrade for Mayfield will go completely to Jarrett.

With that being said... I don't discount the possibility that you could be correct about Jarrett, which brings me back to my prior question. At what cost? If we believe that Mayfield makes a modest improvement of say 4200 yards with 29 TD's, who's losing production? Evans, Godwin, White, Palmer, or Otton? Look, I can buy Otton & White, but I'd contend that the vast majority of passes that went to Otton and White, were out of necessity because after looking at Evans and Godwin, Mayfield isn't good enough as a QB to check down to a 3rd or 4th WR often enough, to where he needed to check down to his last resort and hit Otton and White.

I'll say this too, if you think that he'll pass Palmer as the 3rd option, I certainly won't fault you nor debate you on that. You may be right in the end. I just haven't seen enough from Jarrett to warrant that. I'm sure you follow college football way more than I do and you may feel that when things click for him, they net result will be way better than Palmer. That works for me. I'm just going by what I see on Sunday's.

I am curious to see how they work McMillan into the fold. I'll be honest, it's Mayfield's limitations as a QB which lead me to the conclusion that they wasted the pick on McMillan, unless they truly believe that he's another Chris Godwin type where he gets his feet wet in Y1, a big jump in Y2, and legit W1/W2 in Y3. Short of that, I think they screwed up there.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:50 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:21 am

Interesting, I was thinking we could get much more out of Jarrett. Atleast as much as what Justin Watson is giving the Chiefs.
You may be right. I'd like to see your projection of how that would work out, if so, at who's detriment?

Here's where I'm coming from... Baker Mayfield is our QB, not Patrick Mahomes. We're not going to throw the ball 600 times... well, we might, if we're losing a lot. We threw the ball 566 times last year and I don't see a major jump in pass attempts this year, do you? Hey, let's say we do... if we throw the ball 600 times this season and Mayfield completes 65% of his passes (a slight increase from last year), 7.4 ypa (a little increase from last year), with a td% of 5.2% (another increase), his stat line will look like this: 390 comp / 4500 yards / 31 TD's.

Do you think his numbers will look like that this season (to note, only Dak Prescott did that last year - only Mahomes the year before)? No? Me either, but let's say they do. That's 26 receptions, 456 yards, and 3 TD's more, than last year. That's almost exactly what Watson (27/460/3), got last year. So, if you think Jarrett can get "At least as much as" that, you're saying that 100% of my projected upgrade for Mayfield will go completely to Jarrett.

With that being said... I don't discount the possibility that you could be correct about Jarrett, which brings me back to my prior question. At what cost? If we believe that Mayfield makes a modest improvement of say 4200 yards with 29 TD's, who's losing production? Evans, Godwin, White, Palmer, or Otton? Look, I can buy Otton & White, but I'd contend that the vast majority of passes that went to Otton and White, were out of necessity because after looking at Evans and Godwin, Mayfield isn't good enough as a QB to check down to a 3rd or 4th WR often enough, to where he needed to check down to his last resort and hit Otton and White.

I'll say this too, if you think that he'll pass Palmer as the 3rd option, I certainly won't fault you nor debate you on that. You may be right in the end. I just haven't seen enough from Jarrett to warrant that. I'm sure you follow college football way more than I do and you may feel that when things click for him, they net result will be way better than Palmer. That works for me. I'm just going by what I see on Sunday's.

I am curious to see how they work McMillan into the fold. I'll be honest, it's Mayfield's limitations as a QB which lead me to the conclusion that they wasted the pick on McMillan, unless they truly believe that he's another Chris Godwin type where he gets his feet wet in Y1, a big jump in Y2, and legit W1/W2 in Y3. Short of that, I think they screwed up there.
If this is how you feel then why in the Hell would you spend $7M on the WR3?! Lol.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You know what, I'm getting tired of Baker Mayfield talk. Come on, you need to accept Mayfield as our quarterback, and hopefully he will lead us to the Super Bowl. Anything is possible, right?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So when's Bucs mandatory camp start?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:50 pm You know what, I'm getting tired of Baker Mayfield talk. Come on, you need to accept Mayfield as our quarterback, and hopefully he will lead us to the Super Bowl. Anything is possible, right?
I come back and see CannonFire still crying about Mayfield. Lol
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:01 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:50 pm You know what, I'm getting tired of Baker Mayfield talk. Come on, you need to accept Mayfield as our quarterback, and hopefully he will lead us to the Super Bowl. Anything is possible, right?
I come back and see CannonFire still crying about Mayfield. Lol
Same lol
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@CannonFire “The QB isn’t good enough to get the ball to the 3rd WR!”

Also @CannonFire “We should have spent $7M on the 3rd WR!”

😆
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:57 pm So when's Bucs mandatory camp start?
Mini-camp is June 11. I cant find anything concrete about training camp, one source said July 30 but that doesn’t seem right. If so I'd imagine late June and Early July
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:03 pm @CannonFire “The QB isn’t good enough to get the ball to the 3rd WR!”

😆
In one thread a while back He wanted Justin Fields over Mayfield, he has it out for Baker. This kind of obsession is unhealthy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I will say though that the WR3 in Coen's offense is expected to be more of a contributor than in Canales'.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Baker Mayfield Played Part In Sterling Shepard Coming To Tampa

While Mayfield plays quarterback, he also showed he can be a recruiter as well. In a conversation with NFL Insider Josina Anderson, Shepard spoke about how the conversations went on to get him in Tampa. Anderson said that Shepard was “astounded” by the news in their phone call together.

“It’s hard not to smile right now. I wasn’t expecting this,” Shepard told Anderson. “Three days ago Baker (Mayfield) texted me asking ‘how does your body feel?’ I said, ‘I feel great. How’s the baby?’ Baker said, ‘The baby is good.’ Then Baker asked me, ‘man, you think you got one more in you?’ I said, ‘it just has to be right with everything I’ve got going on with my family because I’ve already turned done other opportunities. But I’ve been kind of thinking about it when I run outside everyday and lift.

“Plus, when I golf with Saquon (Barkley) he’s been telling me I need to quit playing around because I still got it.’ Then Baker said, ‘well have your agent reach out because I know they threw your name out around here the other day. So my agent hit them up. The Bucs wanted me to fly out the next day. Jo, I strapped my cleats on and hit that workout like I’ve been running routes all my life. The rest is history.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:07 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:57 pm So when's Bucs mandatory camp start?
Mini-camp is June 11. I cant find anything concrete about training camp, one source said July 30 but that doesn’t seem right. If so I'd imagine late June and Early July
TC dates haven't been released as of yet.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:25 pm
Baker Mayfield Played Part In Sterling Shepard Coming To Tampa

While Mayfield plays quarterback, he also showed he can be a recruiter as well. In a conversation with NFL Insider Josina Anderson, Shepard spoke about how the conversations went on to get him in Tampa. Anderson said that Shepard was “astounded” by the news in their phone call together.

“It’s hard not to smile right now. I wasn’t expecting this,” Shepard told Anderson. “Three days ago Baker (Mayfield) texted me asking ‘how does your body feel?’ I said, ‘I feel great. How’s the baby?’ Baker said, ‘The baby is good.’ Then Baker asked me, ‘man, you think you got one more in you?’ I said, ‘it just has to be right with everything I’ve got going on with my family because I’ve already turned done other opportunities. But I’ve been kind of thinking about it when I run outside everyday and lift.

“Plus, when I golf with Saquon (Barkley) he’s been telling me I need to quit playing around because I still got it.’ Then Baker said, ‘well have your agent reach out because I know they threw your name out around here the other day. So my agent hit them up. The Bucs wanted me to fly out the next day. Jo, I strapped my cleats on and hit that workout like I’ve been running routes all my life. The rest is history.”

Same kind of slap in the face that Tom wanted to do.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:03 pm @CannonFire “The QB isn’t good enough to get the ball to the 3rd WR!”

😆
Apparently you're new to football. So, like @Bootz, I think that Boyd is a high end WR3 / low end WR2. That means he is more reliable than Palmer, who I'd much prefer be our #4, because that's what I think he is. Boyd would certainly command the ball way more than Palmer and much he can be game planned more as a primary target. The net result would be less targets for Palmer & Otton, which I'm perfectly happy with.

Also, if Evans or Godwin got hurt, we wouldn’t be really all that screwed with Boyd and one of the other 2. With Palmer, Shepard, or anyone else, I think we are substantially behind the 8-ball. Since neither Palmer, Shepard, McMillan, or Jarrett should ever be game planned for, Boyd substantially improves Coen's options in preparation for games every week.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Not sure what you mean. What did I say that implied Mayfield wasn't our QB?

Sure, I'd love for us to win a Super Bowl. Don't recall ever saying otherwise. Looks like you just want to create an argument just so you can complain.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:10 pm

😆
Apparently you're new to football. So, like @Bootz, I think that Boyd is a high end WR3 / low end WR2. That means he is more reliable than Palmer, who I'd much prefer be our #4, because that's what I think he is. Boyd would certainly command the ball way more than Palmer and much he can be game planned more as a primary target. The net result would be less targets for Palmer & Otton, which I'm perfectly happy with.

Also, if Evans or Godwin got hurt, we wouldn’t be really all that screwed with Boyd and one of the other 2. With Palmer, Shepard, or anyone else, I think we are substantially behind the 8-ball. Since neither Palmer, Shepard, McMillan, or Jarrett should ever be game planned for, Boyd substantially improves Coen's options in preparation for games every week.
Actually we are screwed if Evans got hurt.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:58 pm

Actually we are screwed if Evans got hurt.
We are with the WR corp we have now... unless one of these young guys really excel.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:38 pm I mean I'd say Evans, Godwin, Palmer, McMillan is one of the top of the league at overall WR depth. Could be much worse.

Let's be honest, if we stop being biased the WR the depth is not good. It's in the average area and that's being generous. Nearly every single team has depth WR's they drafted or have signed that are as good or better than what we do.

Depth is not your top couple of guys it's what's after that. McMillan hasn't played a snap, was rated 10th-15th type WR in this draft by most pundits. Palmer I hope can improve this year but as it stands is an average WR at best and he's up against it as a 6th rounder historically speaking. Shepard won't contribute. No one signed him for a reason as he hasn't done anything for 4 years. I'm not even going to discuss Jarrett. He has 4 catches in his career.

If we get an injury to a top guy the season is over. I don't think I'm being negative, more so realistic.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Barnzy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:31 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:38 pm I mean I'd say Evans, Godwin, Palmer, McMillan is one of the top of the league at overall WR depth. Could be much worse.

Let's be honest, if we stop being biased the WR the depth is not good. It's in the average area and that's being generous. Nearly every single team has depth WR's they drafted or have signed that are as good or better than what we do.

Depth is not your top couple of guys it's what's after that. McMillan hasn't played a snap, was rated 10th-15th type WR in this draft by most pundits. Palmer I hope can improve this year but as it stands is an average WR at best and he's up against it as a 6th rounder historically speaking. Shepard won't contribute. No one signed him for a reason as he hasn't done anything for 4 years. I'm not even going to discuss Jarrett. He has 4 catches in his career.

If we get an injury to a top guy the season is over. I don't think I'm being negative, more so realistic.

Start with the other teams working more with their bottom depth WR's - that's the way it should be done and we should be much better at it.

You don't just say "next man up", you have them ready. Instill confidence with all who will be fighting for a job.

my take
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I can see and somewhat agree with what you are saying. We have been pretty lucky on the injury front past few years (generally speaking). But If a ton of guys were to start going down, things likely fall apart and we'll fall short. However, if Evans and Godwin were to get hurt then it'll be Sheppard(Vet), Palmer(Speed) and Mcmillian(Rookie with promise). We're only talking hypothetically, and Until it doesn't work there is no reason to not be optimistic all 3 will be put in the right spot to succeed.

There has been a lot of talk this off-season about how the OLine has been putting the work in and showing progress (VIA Free Agency or Rookies prior adding strength and size). We won't really know till the season starts. It's key though because If they have cleaned things up this year, it will open the offense up and it could be a big year for Baker, WR's and running game.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Not saying Shepard will be a big contributor, but from what I posted above it sounded like he had turned down other opportunities until this chance with Baker and the Bucs materialized.

Also, if you look at ANY roster in the league that has a player making $20M+ and THAT player gets injured it’s likely that team is in trouble. We have 2 guys at WR making $20M+.

Generally speaking we have one of the deepest WR rooms in the league.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

😆

Yes, I’m “new to football.” Sorry for pointing out your uniquely contradictory comments I guess?

I don’t think anyone would have viewed signing Boyd for $2M as a negative. That’s a nice deal for the Titans. You also mentioned Brown for $7M though, which is what I’m referring to, and that is not so good.

Also, Boyd is more of a short to intermediate threat from the slot. We already have that in Godwin and/or McMillan. Boyd is redundant. I can see why they didn’t pursue him.

Brown would have been interesting, but not at $7M, and Palmer emerging as a deep threat WR3 is what’s best for this offense. He should get the opportunity to do so.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:20 am

Yes, I’m “new to football.” Sorry for pointing out your uniquely contradictory comments I guess?

I don’t think anyone would have viewed signing Boyd for $2M as a negative. That’s a nice deal for the Titans. You also mentioned Brown for $7M though, which is what I’m referring to, and that is not so good.

Also, Boyd is more of a short to intermediate threat from the slot. We already have that in Godwin and/or McMillan. Boyd is redundant. I can see why they didn’t pursue him.

Brown would have been interesting, but not at $7M, and Palmer emerging as a deep threat WR3 is what’s best for this offense. He should get the opportunity to do so.
Sorry, my bad, Brown also fits the same mold as Boyd. High end 3's that can be 2's.

Boyd and Brown both fit what I said. They can be game planned for a lot of targets as the #1 or #2 read, I don't believe Palmer is that. Both Godwin and Evans, as well as Brown are versatile enough to play the X, Y, & Z role, so if either gets hurt, we would be fine with a relatively minor drop off and still have a player like Palmer to rely on as the 3, in that situation.

We only have McMillan because we just drafter him :lol: If they had signed Boyd, obviously that pick wouldn't have needed to be made and could've been used on a different player.

Palmer is a nice player that can contribute, but he shouldn't be relied on. Evans and Godwin obviously are, but so are Boyd & Brown.

Palmer = Scottie Miller
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:40 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:20 am

Sorry, my bad, Brown also fits the same mold as Boyd. High end 3's that can be 2's.

Boyd and Brown both fit what I said. They can be game planned for a lot of targets as the #1 or #2 read, I don't believe Palmer is that. Both Godwin and Evans, as well as Brown are versatile enough to play the X, Y, & Z role, so if either gets hurt, we would be fine with a relatively minor drop off and still have a player like Palmer to rely on as the 3, in that situation.

We only have McMillan because we just drafter him :lol: If they had signed Boyd, obviously that pick wouldn't have needed to be made and could've been used on a different player.

Palmer is a nice player that can contribute, but he shouldn't be relied on. Evans and Godwin obviously are, but so are Boyd & Brown.

Palmer = Scottie Miller
I guess you missed my point. Boyd is a similar player to Godwin and/or McMillan. He would play the same position those two are expected to play running short/intermediate routes from the slot. Brown is more of a deep threat with every year of his career having an average depth of target over 11 yards. Boyd's highest ADOT ever was his rookie year at 9.3 with last year being his lowest at 6.5.

Brown would have made some sense, but at $7M I'd rather see if Palmer can fill the deep shot role.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Sterling Shepard to wear number 25. That's just gross.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:58 am Sterling Shepard to wear number 25. That's just gross.
Um why?
Snake

Post by Snake »

A WR wearing 25? Yuck
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Just cut him now.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:56 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:40 am

Palmer = Scottie Miller
I guess you missed my point. Boyd is a similar player to Godwin and/or McMillan. He would play the same position those two are expected to play running short/intermediate routes from the slot. Brown is more of a deep threat with every year of his career having an average depth of target over 11 yards. Boyd's highest ADOT ever was his rookie year at 9.3 with last year being his lowest at 6.5.

Brown would have made some sense, but at $7M I'd rather see if Palmer can fill the deep shot role.
I didn't miss your point, I think you're looking at a bunch of trees and not realizing there's a forest. Forget McMillian, he's irrelevant to the discussion because if they had signed Boyd or Brown, it would've happened before the draft and McMillian wouldn't have been drafted.

As far as saying Brown is absurd. Brown is a straight up X/Y guy while Godwin is an X/Y/Z, meaning all 3 (them plus Evans), can be on the field at the same time. Boyd is a Y/Z guy, so he can on the field with both Evans and Godwin also. On top of that, both Brown and Boyd are better, more polished, and more reliable than Palmer, thus making Palmer the situational #4 that best fits him.

Signing either Brown or Boyd also gives you insurance incase either Evans or Godwin miss time, they can step in and be productive. If the injury replacement is Palmer (which it is right now), that's not a good sign. To get that at $7M and still have Palmer (because I'm not saying to cut him), to fill the deep shot role. Palmer isn't being replaced or anything, he'll still be utilized. At the cost of either $2 or $7M either pick #92 gets used to fill a different need or Shepard never gets signed. Simply, I'd rather have Brown or Boyd & a different 3rd pick than McMillan & Shepard. With Brown or Boyd, I know I have a legit #3 & #4 (Palmer), on my roster and a 3rd round pick that I hope pans out. What we have is a questionable #3 (Palmer), or a #3 (3rd round pick that we hope pans out), and a guy like Shepard who may or may not even make the team. I guess Shepard's role on the team depends on how the powers that be feel about Jarrett. If that's the case, he's basically fighting for that 5th/6th role.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

"I'm just here so I don't get fined"

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So if you show up but refuse to participate in practice aren’t you still technically “holding out?” Or is that not a real thing until training camp?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:06 pm So if you show up but refuse to participate in practice aren’t you still technically “holding out?” Or is that not a real thing until training camp?
They call it a "hold in". I don't think participation is mandatory either. Just have to be present. Same applies for TC.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Dude most teams don't even have a true WR#1. We have a should be HOF WR #1, and a top tier WR #2. There are maybe 10 other teams in the NFL that have a duo like ours. And their depth?

Some examples of top offenses WR #3:

Dolphins - OBJ
Cowboys - Jalen Tolbert
Eagles - Parris Campbell
Lions - Kalif Raymond
Bills have "depth" and their WR #1 is Khalil Shakir or their rookie.

None of those situations are anywhere better than ours.

Just ffs our team has such bigger fish to fry than our WR depth.

TE? Bottom 5 in the NFL.
RB? Bottom half of the NFL.
IOL? Bottom half of the NFL.
QB? Bottom half of the NFL.

Getting old hearing complaining about our WR3 of all positions.