Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

BLT

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by BLT »

This thread had a great run, but we all know who we want to be our QB next year.

-BLT
CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt »

BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:29 pm This thread had a great run, but we all know who we want to be our QB next year.

-BLT
Yup.
Kyle Trask.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

At this point we are going to need a few more pieces than a QB, so I want the lowest priced QB with the highest upside so we can rebuild a team that can compete year end and year out. We know what the last 2 years were all about, and I was 100% good with it. But I'd prefer start building around some of the young talent with some guys that can play 3-5 more years.

Trask needs his shot, Gabbert can give it a go for me too. If Heinicke doesn't stay in Washington, I love his tenacity.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’m cool with giving Trask his shot. He looked pretty good in preseason I thought. Don’t have to hand him the job either, let him “compete” with Gabbert and Griffin. If they suck? Well that just accelerates the rebuild.
MJW

Post by MJW »

There are three paths here:

A) We think we still have a chance at the Superbowl in 2022 and/or 2023, so we push all our chips to the middle of the table and attempt to acquire a quarterback who can get us there - Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Deshaun Watson are the only three I can think of who might fit this description.

B) We accept that this era is over, and we go young (Trask) and/or cheap (Trask, Gabbert, someone like Dalton or FitzMagic). We take the short-term L, build around the young talent we already have over the next few years, and then worry about a QB who can take the next step.

C) We split the difference with a solid veteran in the Jimmy G/Cousins/Carr mold, and we split the difference between going all-in and waiting a couple of years to make another run. We try to fill our roster holes, but we don't ship away future assets and cap space to do so.

All three COULD work out, but OBP needs to figure out which way they want to go and commit.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 pm There are three paths here:

A) We think we still have a chance at the Superbowl in 2022 and/or 2023, so we push all our chips to the middle of the table and attempt to acquire a quarterback who can get us there - Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Deshaun Watson are the only three I can think of who might fit this description.

B) We accept that this era is over, and we go young (Trask) and/or cheap (Trask, Gabbert, someone like Dalton or FitzMagic). We take the short-term L, build around the young talent we already have over the next few years, and then worry about a QB who can take the next step.

C) We split the difference with a solid veteran in the Jimmy G/Cousins/Carr mold, and we split the difference between going all-in and waiting a couple of years to make another run. We try to fill our roster holes, but we don't ship away future assets and cap space to do so.

All three COULD work out, but OBP needs to figure out which way they want to go and commit.
Three valid scenarios. What are your thoughts on Arians? I can only see wanting him to stay if A is the choice above. I do not think he is a long-haul rebuild coach.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:05 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:01 pm I would probably trade at least two first round picks to have Rodgers for 4 years. It’s instant contention if we can keep good pieces around him. Versus sucking major ass or being a treadmill team.
I doubt the Packers trade him within the Conference.
Why does everyone act like trades in conference never happens. It happens a lot. 24 times for players last two years plus a draft picks trade between Wash and Philly.

The Goff trade alone is an example of in conference trade.
Last edited by kaimaru on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:51 pm If Brady is confirmed to retire this year, we would have even less money to spend. I doubt we could outbid anyone for the services of Russ or Rodgers or Carr. Watson to me is damaged goods, Goff is a JAG, Winston makes me want to vomit. Any rookie would just be a rookie.

If only we took advantage of Brady's last year by redshirting a talented rookie behind him to take over the reins this season. Wait, what? That's exactly what we did? Well, thank God we did that!

While I have no access to practice to see what he's looking like on a day-to-day basis to make a firm judgment, assuming that he's the guy he was in college with some progression as a rookie, I would like to see Trask get a shot at the starting gig.
He has to payback 16 million in signing bonus and we save 8 million so 24 million more cap space.
Sanka

Post by Sanka »

PetePierson wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm Bring back the Human Turnover Machine!

Fucking imbeciles.
Do not compare Winston of the Bucs to the Winston of the New Orleans Saints. You have had your fun with Brady just like you did Gruden, Winston will be too stupid to sign with a failure of an organization like the Bucs and their toxic fans who blamed Winston for everything.

I just hope Winston resigns with the Saints and does not go to the Steelers because the AFC is no joke with Josh Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes. Ale Barrow in the SB.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Who the fuck said Beetlejuice 3 times?
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:54 pm
The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:05 pm

I doubt the Packers trade him within the Conference.
Why does everyone act like trades in conference never happens. It happens a lot. 24 times for players last two years plus a draft picks trade between Wash and Philly.

The Goff trade alone is an example of in conference trade.
There are in-conference trades and then there's trading the conference's best quarterback to another team and knowing you'll have to get through him to go to the Superbowl. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's very much an "all things being equal" sort of proposition. The only way I can really see it happening is if the Packers are leaning into a serious rebuild and the compensation from the team is significantly better than whatever the AFC is offering.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:22 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am Also, the 64th pick in the draft is essentially a 3rd round pick, which are often depth/project players with expectations of contributions but hopes of greatness. Not many project that as a day 1 starter.
IMO, your first, second, and third round picks should all be day one starters with your first rounder making a sizeable impact (Tristan Wirfs).

Fourth and fifth rounders should be the project type players who can hopefully develop into starters down the road. Or if you're lucky, you get first round talent that dropped due to injury or off field issues.

Sixth and seventh rounders (and UDFAs) should be guys who can add depth and play special teams.
IMO your first, second, third, and fourth round picks should be day 1 starters.

Your fifth, sixth, and seventh rounders can be projects.
McFan

Post by McFan »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:45 pm Taking all of that in to consideration I'm basically Tom Brady, just 10 years younger.
If a "ten years younger" Gisele comes with it, well, kudos bro...

(actually current Gisele wouldn't get kicked out of my house either)
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Sanka wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:05 am
PetePierson wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm Bring back the Human Turnover Machine!

Fucking imbeciles.
Do not compare Winston of the Bucs to the Winston of the New Orleans Saints. You have had your fun with Brady just like you did Gruden, Winston will be too stupid to sign with a failure of an organization like the Bucs and their toxic fans who blamed Winston for everything.

I just hope Winston resigns with the Saints and does not go to the Steelers because the AFC is no joke with Josh Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes. Ale Barrow in the SB.
Sanka. I have to partially agree with Pete on this.

I think Winston is the same player in both Tampa and New Orleans. I think the difference was the system and coach. Perhaps Winston learned something from the Saints that he can take with him but I would be worried about him returning under the Buccaneers' current coaching regime. To be honest given his propensity for stupid plays at critical moments I would still worry about him on other teams as well. He is not bad and he might find success, but I do not think he is on the level of Burrow, Allen, Mahomes, or Hebert.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:33 am IMO your first, second, third, and fourth round picks should be day 1 starters.

Your fifth, sixth, and seventh rounders can be projects.
I think that vision for draft picks is because we have all been long-suffering Buccaneers fans. Teams that are constantly in Super Bowl contention usually have better more experienced players in place and draft picks are more often backups that will develop. I could be wrong but I really think the expectation of draft picks is different for teams that are 2-15 vs 13-4.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sorry, my blue font was broken.

But yes, "our rookies need to be day 1 starters" is 100% a loser team mentality.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We absolutely should look behind door #2. I like Trask as much as the next guy, but I'm also in zero hurry to start him.

If we could get say Carr for a day 3 pick, I'd be all for it.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I was watching the presser with Jason LIcht last night and someone asked about potentially doing a Rams type of move of trading for an established QB since the Bucs roster is built to win now.

I think that idea has merit. With a good QB the Bucs will be a playoff team (especially given the state of the division) and be drafting in the mid-late 20's.

So packaging two late first rounders in attempt to get Rodgers, Wilson, Watson (sans legal issues) would be worth it imo. I certainly would favor that over handing the reins over to Traskbert
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Trask has to be the starter if we cannot get Rodgers, Wilson or Watson. I would not want Blaine Gabbert anywhere near OBP in 2022. The guy has always looked like hot trash on any team he tried to start. Any money spent on him would be a waste of cap space. I would rather the QB2 spot be someone still unproven, but with some small possibility of good QB play like Gardner Minshew. The Washington football team benefited from Heinecke as a solid backup and Gabbert is grade A trash in comparison. Enough of paying BA's guys. BA will bail into retirement if he sees a sinking ship and we cannot afford to downgrade the team with his guys.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:56 am We absolutely should look behind door #2. I like Trask as much as the next guy, but I'm also in zero hurry to start him.

If we could get say Carr for a day 3 pick, I'd be all for it.
Carr would be an excellent fit for an Arians offense. For me this all comes down to can they keep enough of this team together for one more shot. If we can, then try to get a QB. If not, then do not mortgage the future in some delusional attempt at a Super Bowl run that only gimps the team for the next four to five years. The Buccaneers need to avoid that fatal trap of:

1. Hire a new coach, gut roster, start building, fired in three years
2. Repeat step 1.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Why would the Raiders be willing to part ways with Derek Carr. There is absolutely no reason to watch that team play except for the small possibility of Carr playing decent enough to get them to WC round. So why would they trade away the only player that gives them some chance to be relevant?
MRM

Post by MRM »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 pm A) We think we still have a chance at the Superbowl in 2022 and/or 2023, so we push all our chips to the middle of the table and attempt to acquire a quarterback who can get us there - Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Deshaun Watson are the only three I can think of who might fit this description.
I think this team still has so many pieces to win now, especially in a crap division. That depends on how many free agents go somewhere else. If you can keep half or more than half, this team can still win the division with a good QB. May have to revisit this in March once we see where things are.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Jonny wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm Why would the Raiders be willing to part ways with Derek Carr. There is absolutely no reason to watch that team play except for the small possibility of Carr playing decent enough to get them to WC round. So why would they trade away the only player that gives them some chance to be relevant?
It's a wish list for a reason, I guess.

There are thoughts that the Raiders want to move on from Carr, but I don't see it as likely.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Jonny wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm Why would the Raiders be willing to part ways with Derek Carr. There is absolutely no reason to watch that team play except for the small possibility of Carr playing decent enough to get them to WC round. So why would they trade away the only player that gives them some chance to be relevant?
The jury is very split on Carr. He's somewhere between Wentz, a QB who looked to be on in the thick of an MVP race in one of his earlier years, but never really got close to the conversation ever since, and Kirk Cousins who some people think is "good enough to win with" and others believe is the dreaded "good enough to keep you mediocre".

I personally like Carr and think he would thrive in a BA system. But it all comes down to what Josh McDaniels thinks. He's been verbally very supportive of Carr but we also know what happen in Denver.

I think Josh likes Carr and will keep him. But in the event it's just lip service I'd love to be the one to swoop in.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

At this point I’m willing to risk trading for Watson if he is available. There will be people bitching about it, but fuck it.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:02 pm At this point I’m willing to risk trading for Watson if he is available. There will be people bitching about it, but fuck it.
Multiple 1st round picks before his trial...It seems too risky to me.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Primeminister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:02 pm At this point I’m willing to risk trading for Watson if he is available. There will be people bitching about it, but fuck it.
Stop killing my dream of having a talented, young QB.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I look at the Bengals and I’m jealous. Never thought I’d say that.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:07 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Let me kill it a bit further for you.

Guess what Deshon Watson's cap number is for the upcoming season. $40 million for this season.

Now guess how much cap space we have as of today. $7 million.

For an asking cost of multiple first round picks AND we would have to increase our cap space by at least sixfold, Watson is way too rich for our blood.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:07 pm
Primeminister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:07 pm

Let me kill it a bit further for you.

Guess what Deshon Watson's cap number is for the upcoming season. $40 million for this season.

Now guess how much cap space we have as of today. $7 million.

For an asking cost of multiple first round picks AND we would have to increase our cap space by at least sixfold, Watson is way too rich for our blood.
Be it known that I, in fact and in totality, hate you.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Watson has been my most wanted QB not named Brady since he was at Clemson, but this cloud over him... it’s dark. I just don’t see it ending well for him, or any team that trades for him.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

If we aren't seeing what Trask can do, someone needs to go kick Lichts ass wasting a pick on him instead of on a player that might have helped us to get another ring
MJW

Post by MJW »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:21 pm If we aren't seeing what Trask can do, someone needs to go kick Lichts ass wasting a pick on him instead of on a player that might have helped us to get another ring
I could see Arians saying, "I don't want to see what a pup can do, I'm at the end of the line" or words to that effect. In which case, I'd expect us to make a push for A-Rod, Watson, or Wilson. Possibly Carr as well, because I know there are people who believe he'd take a Stafford like jump with real talent around him.
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:23 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:21 pm If we aren't seeing what Trask can do, someone needs to go kick Lichts ass wasting a pick on him instead of on a player that might have helped us to get another ring
I could see Arians saying, "I don't want to see what a pup can do, I'm at the end of the line" or words to that effect. In which case, I'd expect us to make a push for A-Rod, Watson, or Wilson. Possibly Carr as well, because I know there are people who believe he'd take a Stafford like jump with real talent around him.
In order to have that real talent we need to keep Godwin and a few others.