2022 Offseason Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: 2022 Offseason Thread

Post by Snake »

It seems to reason that if you want to draft a “project” to sit behind the goat for a few years, you would take a young QB with athleticism. Not a fifth year senior pocket quarterback.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I came here to post the tweet but you fine people gladly beat me to it. Definitely a wasted pick. Imagine a world were a 24 year old 5th year senior picked in the 2nd round can't even COMPETE against a shit QB like Blaine Gabbert for the backup job. If we can swing a trade for a conditional 6th it'll be more valuable than Trask is, who we're seemingly grooming to be our Jason Garrett (If you know the reference, kudos.)
Nano

Post by Nano »

How fucking terrible do you look in practice if you're not even being considered for the backup spot. He's not even ready to compete with Gabbert.

Hackenberg level pick
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Can't wait to see him open the 2023 season on Thursday night at home against the Packers...
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nano wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:05 pm How fucking terrible do you look in practice if you're not even being considered for the backup spot. He's not even ready to compete with Gabbert.

Hackenberg level pick
Team could be going with a “devil you know” approach to backup QB and are rolling with the ten year vet and not giving backup QB much thought beyond that. That wouldn’t be the case if Trask was Dan Marino, of course. So it’s telling, but maybe not as telling as we think? Idk
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 pm
Nano wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:05 pm How fucking terrible do you look in practice if you're not even being considered for the backup spot. He's not even ready to compete with Gabbert.

Hackenberg level pick
Team could be going with a “devil you know” approach to backup QB and are rolling with the ten year vet and not giving backup QB much thought beyond that. That wouldn’t be the case if Trask was Dan Marino, of course. So it’s telling, but maybe not as telling as we think? Idk
He’s a sunk cost luxury, but saying he’s not even ready to push for the backup job in the media is brutal.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Trask, Justin Herbert, and Tua Tagovailoa were all born the same week in March 1998. 2 of them are heading into their 3rd season as starter, the other is stuck as the 3rd string QB.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Jags Kicker Josh Lambo is suing for $3.5 mil for "emotional distress" caused by being kicked/verbally abused by Urban Meyer.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Ravens withdrew the ERFA tag on RB Ty'son Williams. The book on him is he's dangerous with the ball in his hands but he can't pass block. I'm pretty sure we have an opening in the offense for a guy like that.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:29 pm Trask, Justin Herbert, and Tua Tagovailoa were all born the same week in March 1998. 2 of them are heading into their 3rd season as starter, the other is stuck as the 3rd string QB.
Ask me how much I care.

I honestly could not care less about "the early years" of Trasks career. Do you honestly think anyone gives a F about the first "wasted" years of Rodgers? Nah. Not saying Trask is going to be Rodgers, but this fetishizing young QB saviors is just weird.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:30 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:29 pm Trask, Justin Herbert, and Tua Tagovailoa were all born the same week in March 1998. 2 of them are heading into their 3rd season as starter, the other is stuck as the 3rd string QB.
Ask me how much I care.

I honestly could not care less about "the early years" of Trasks career. Do you honestly think anyone gives a F about the first "wasted" years of Rodgers? Nah. Not saying Trask is going to be Rodgers, but this fetishizing young QB saviors is just weird.
With Rodgers you saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Even with Brady, you saw the light at the end of the tunnel his rookie year. There has to be a progression at some point. These days it's sooner rather than later.

I get that the niche thing for a fan is optimism. But I've told you guys for a decade and a half, take these situations as they are not as you want them to be. There's no reason a 2nd round pick isn't competing for the backup job in his 2nd year. He shouldn't have been drafted that high if that's the case. You can find a much better value in a developmental QB much later in the draft.

It was a bad pick. That's the reality.

Edit: BTW, Rodgers was always the primary backup to Favre his 3 years he sat. The equivalent would be taking Rodgers in the 1st and having him sit behind Joey Harrington for 3 years.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

PetePierson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm Definitely not a wasted pick.....
Tuesday brought word about what Tom Brady plans to do once he remains retired for more than a few weeks, but it remains unclear if he’ll transition from the playing field to the broadcast booth after the 2022 season.

Whether he plans to retire or not, Brady is in the final year of his contract with the Buccaneers and uncertainty about what lies beyond doesn’t seem to be changing the team’s plans for second-year quarterback Kyle Trask. The 2021 second-round pick was the third quarterback behind Brady and Blaine Gabbert as a rookie and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen said on Tuesday that he doesn’t think Trask is ready to push for the No. 2 job this offseason.

“It’s more of a learning curve,” Christensen said, via Jenna Laine of ESPN.com. “I don’t see him competing with Gabbert this year . . . I see Gabbert being the backup and Kyle being the developmental guy.”

Trask should get plenty of reps during the offseason program and Christensen said that the quarterback’s “time is coming,” but it doesn’t sound like there’s much he can do to speed that process up in the short term.
At least the Buccaneers did not pull a Packers and trade up to get Jordan Love. Right?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:56 am
PetePierson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm Definitely not a wasted pick.....

At least the Buccaneers did not pull a Packers and trade up to get Jordan Love. Right?
Who is Love competing with for the backup QB spot?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:37 am
Doctor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:30 am

Ask me how much I care.

With Rodgers you saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Even with Brady, you saw the light at the end of the tunnel his rookie year. There has to be a progression at some point. These days it's sooner rather than later.

I get that the niche thing for a fan is optimism. But I've told you guys for a decade and a half, take these situations as they are not as you want them to be. There's no reason a 2nd round pick isn't competing for the backup job in his 2nd year. He shouldn't have been drafted that high if that's the case. You can find a much better value in a developmental QB much later in the draft.

Edit: BTW, Rodgers was always the primary backup to Favre his 3 years he sat. The equivalent would be taking Rodgers in the 1st and having him sit behind Joey Harrington for 3 years.
Brady threw three passes his rookie year, what light were you seeing. Rodgers was 9 of 16 with 1 INT and 0 TDs his rookie year. Rodgers wasn't the primary starter until his 4th season. Again, what light were you seeing in Brady/Rodgers after their "rookie years."
VauntedTampa2

Post by VauntedTampa2 »

Whoever posted the Trask article didn't post all of the quotes that were given in the interview. They gave their reasoning.

When are they supposed to give Trask any meaningful reps when you have a championship level roster lead by TB12? The only meaningful reps they were able to see from his was during pre-season. Why would you throw Trask in with the 1's when you're trying to win a super bowl with Brady?

They know what they have in Gabbert; maybe they want Trask to continue his ascension without the pressure.

Do I think the pick was dumb? Yes. Do I see their reasoning behind their recent comments? Yes. This piece doesn't convey to me that Trask sucks and that's why he isn't competing for the #2 spot.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

That reasoning sucks ass. If Trask were rookie Joe Burrow in practice they would give him practice reps. The fact they believe it is a waste of time and resources to give Trask the reps paints a poor picture of Trask. There is no way around that and I’m a guy who was okay with the Trask pick.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:41 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:37 am

Brady threw three passes his rookie year, what light were you seeing. Rodgers was 9 of 16 with 1 INT and 0 TDs his rookie year. Rodgers wasn't the primary starter until his 4th season. Again, what light were you seeing in Brady/Rodgers after their "rookie years."
Both were actually good enough to be active on game days and get live game action. Brady started his rookie year #4 on the depth chart and worked his way up to 2. Trask Meanwhile can't even hold a candle to the great Blaine Gabbert and OTAs haven't even started yet and already he's been counted out of the #2 spot. That ain't good.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

VauntedTampa2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:31 pm Whoever posted the Trask article didn't post all of the quotes that were given in the interview. They gave their reasoning.

When are they supposed to give Trask any meaningful reps when you have a championship level roster lead by TB12? The only meaningful reps they were able to see from his was during pre-season. Why would you throw Trask in with the 1's when you're trying to win a super bowl with Brady?

They know what they have in Gabbert; maybe they want Trask to continue his ascension without the pressure.

Do I think the pick was dumb? Yes. Do I see their reasoning behind their recent comments? Yes. This piece doesn't convey to me that Trask sucks and that's why he isn't competing for the #2 spot.
"They know what they have in Gabbert"....I mean, DUH! EVERYBODY knows what we have in Blaine Gabbert. He sucks. He's a journeyman who would make this team much worse if he ever had to step on the field. If he's dogwalking Trask on the practice field and behind the scenes that's not a good sign. I don't see how anyone can be foolish enough to try and defend this.
Backside

Post by Backside »

VauntedTampa2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:31 pm
They know what they have in Gabbert;
Yes, and they prefer that to Trask. Which is precisely the problem.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Backside wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:25 pm
VauntedTampa2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:31 pm
They know what they have in Gabbert;
Yes, and they prefer that to Trask. Which is precisely the problem.
I'm honestly not worried about it yet. Or at least, I'm not ready to pull the plug. Trask was a massive project when he came into the league. He basically didn't start a game at quarterback between his Freshman year of HS and his Junior year of college. He throwing motion was funky. His footwork was a mess. He was basically a 6'5 240 lbs lump of clay.

OBP feels safer with a QB with 4 years playing for Arians? I don't really blame them. 2022 is not about getting reps for the future.

Now, if Brady leaves next year and the FO doesn't believe Trask can or should compete for the starting job, I'll join the "wasted pick" chorus. But look at it this way....Matt Hasselbeck didn't start a game until his Age 26 season...Kurt Warner didn't start a game until his Age 28 season...Trent Green didn't start a game until his Age 28 season...Jeff Garcia didn't start a game until his Age 29 season...Roger Staubach wasn't the designated starter until he was 29...ETC

There are lots of ways to get there. Not everyone comes in ready to compete.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

So now we're supposed to believe a guy who can't compete for the #2 job is going to be ready to compete for the #1 job in a year's time??

I know fans are supposed to be optimistic because, ya know, what else we gonna do? But there's a fine line between being optimistic and naive.

@MJW, everything you listed about Trask, the flukey delivery, not starting for nearly 7 years, the bad footwork, being a lump of clay, is all why he had no business being a 2nd round pick. You just named a guy you take in the late 7th. And the fact that you have to go back 20 years to find guys in "comparable" situations to Trask's cements this as a bad pick.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:17 pm So now we're supposed to believe a guy who can't compete for the #2 job is going to be ready to compete for the #1 job in a year's time??

I know fans are supposed to be optimistic because, ya know, what else we gonna do? But there's a fine line between being optimistic and naive.

@MJW, everything you listed about Trask, the flukey delivery, not starting for nearly 7 years, the bad footwork, being a lump of clay, is all why he had no business being a 2nd round pick. You just named a guy you take in the late 7th. And the fact that you have to go back 20 years to find guys in "comparable" situations to Trask's cements this as a bad pick.
He has traits. Just like, say, Malik Willis, who was drafted a handful of picks later than Trask was this last draft. Nobody was laboring under the idea Willis would come in and start anytime soon. But you could see a set of elite traits that could be developed. With Trask, his size his elite. Great touch. Plus accuracy. Can throw every pass in the playbook. ETC. What he does really well dovetails nicely with what we want from our quarterbacks. Then it just becomes a question of development.

And yes, every situation is different. Which is also why making blanket statements about a guy being a bust after one year on the bench is coocoo for cocoa puffs.

If you want to make the case that the last pick of the 2nd Round was a bit too high based on his profile, go for it. But that's the only case you can make here based on the fact we're still growing him. We knew what we were getting into.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

We're not talking about Trask riding the bench. Being stuck behind Tom Brady is 1 thing. Being stuck behind Blaine Gabbert is a completely different set of circumstances and everyone knows this or they should. It's really not much of a debate. If you aren't even good enough to compete with a shit QB like Gabbert, that speaks volumes.

Also, please never change. I miss these little contradictory gems from you but this one is gold.
MJW wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:41 pm But you could see a set of elite traits that could be developed. With Trask, his size his elite. Great touch. Plus accuracy. Can throw every pass in the playbook. ETC. What he does really well dovetails nicely with what we want from our quarterbacks.
MJW wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 pm Trask was a massive project when he came into the league. He basically didn't start a game at quarterback between his Freshman year of HS and his Junior year of college. He throwing motion was funky. His footwork was a mess. He was basically a 6'5 240 lbs lump of clay.
Trask has elite traits but he's a massive project. Bad footwork but somehow is accurate. Please never change.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I can't believe the Dolphins media team put this up.

This looks like Gradkowski trying to launch to Galloway in 2006.

I predict the Dolphins make a late push for Jimmy G (who Mike McDaniel actually knows well) or possibly Mayfield. I cannot believe they're going to go forward with whatever this madness is.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:29 pm We're not talking about Trask riding the bench. Being stuck behind Tom Brady is 1 thing. Being stuck behind Blaine Gabbert is a completely different set of circumstances and everyone knows this or they should. It's really not much of a debate. If you aren't even good enough to compete with a shit QB like Gabbert, that speaks volumes.

Also, please never change. I miss these little contradictory gems from you but this one is gold.
MJW wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:41 pm But you could see a set of elite traits that could be developed. With Trask, his size his elite. Great touch. Plus accuracy. Can throw every pass in the playbook. ETC. What he does really well dovetails nicely with what we want from our quarterbacks.
MJW wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 pm Trask was a massive project when he came into the league. He basically didn't start a game at quarterback between his Freshman year of HS and his Junior year of college. He throwing motion was funky. His footwork was a mess. He was basically a 6'5 240 lbs lump of clay.
Trask has elite traits but he's a massive project. Bad footwork but somehow is accurate. Please never change.
It speaks to OBP favoring known commodities during a Superbowl push. This isn't Madden.

And yes, he has bad footwork and his still accurate. Both of these things can be confirmed with ten seconds of reading his draft profile or ten seconds of watching him with the Gators. Try one.
Let's roll another joint
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Idnt great that these days, we get to argue about a second round pick not playing because we actually have talent in front of him?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:59 am Idnt great that these days, we get to argue about a second round pick not playing because we actually have talent in front of him?
Except no one is arguing about him playing or not playing you know that. The argument is about the fact that Blaine Gabbert is considered "actual talent" when 100% of the football world knows he's anything but. That's the issue.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

acmillis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:59 am Idnt great that these days, we get to argue about a second round pick not playing because we actually have talent in front of him?
There are years of quarterbacks getting mop up duty, funny how the Bucs rarely use that function. Maybe I should say "are in position" for that rare feat. When the game is in hand, I like seeing a QB without constraints, I like where they are being given command of the offense instead of run, run, pass, punt.
Poor Trask is getting thrown into the cauldron and having his bones chewed on before neither.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Et bonum quo antiquius, eo melius.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:48 am
Except no one is arguing about him playing or not playing you know that. The argument is about the fact that Blaine Gabbert is considered "actual talent" when 100% of the football world knows he's anything but. That's the issue.
If Trash (pun intended) isn't going to play at all, who cares if he's backup, or behind Ryan on the depth chart? He'll get an opportunity to play (hopefully) in 2023 and then we should all decide if he is/was a good/bad pick. This whole, "he was a 2nd rounder and he's not even the back up...what a bust" talk is premature. It's not like he's playing behind JW and we all want to see him. NONE of us want to see him play in 2022 whatsoever, so what does it matter where he is on the depth chart?
Kona

Post by Kona »

Some schedule leaks so far,

KC comes to Tampa week 4 Sunday night

Bucs travel to AZ on Christmas Day late game

Week 15 Bucs host Rams Sunday night
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

What's the point of making a big to-do about the schedule if they're just going to leak it out before the official announcement anyway?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb shared a story about a team that promised they were going to take him at a specific draft spot if he was still there when their pick came up but they didn't. He went on to be a UDFA by the team that made the promise. Anyway, now there's a report that the Bucs did that to Lewis Cine in this draft.
Buccaneers accusations could paint franchise in a bad light
by Rob Leeds 13 hours ago

The Buccaneers are generally known as one of the best teams in the draft during the Jason Licht era. Could broken promises change that?

The Lewis Cine news from yesterday that the Buccaneers went back on their word to draft him at the end of the first round was strange.

Why the Bucs would say that when they clearly weren’t dead-set on the idea is unusual, but it ended up working in their favor when they didn’t draft a safety that was not a need and were able to find a player that actually helps the outlook in 2022.

Again, this was weird, but it didn’t really amount to a story. These things tend to happen as teams wheel and deal on draft night. But what happens when this becomes a pattern?

After the Cine story came out, Whitney Holtzman, an NFL agent, came out and said something similar happened to one of her clients. Could more be on the way?

This is not a great look for the Bucs. As previously-mentioned, they do a great job of finding and nurturing young talent to find high levels of success. But how can this continue when players stop trusting the team at their word?

Will players still be willing to meet with the Buccaneers at the same frequency? Do prospects stop trusting the Tampa front office?

Managing trust in the draft is extremely important. Having a good relationship with prospects should always be a focus for the Bucs, especially after the Bo Jackson debacle, and allegedly showing a pattern of making promises like this to players and breaking them when it does little to help anything is not a great look.

More information and likely evidence to the claims is needed before this really becomes a problem, but it certainly isn’t a great look for a team that credits a large portion of its success to the draft.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

That’s a complete non-story. Their premise is what if draft prospects stop believing Tampa will draft them. Okay so what changes if we draft Cine at pick 33 instead of 27? Not a damn thing.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

PetePierson wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 am Boo-fucking-hoo.
Basically