Rapid Reactions: Bucs vs Dolphins

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
The Outsider

Re: Rapid Reactions: Bucs vs Dolphins

Post by The Outsider »

Caradoc wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:13 pm His "horrific two minutes" consisted of an absolute fluke INT that wasn't remotely on him and a strip sack when the entire OL got beat like a cheap drum. He had an excellent outing. He'll come back to earth soon enough, we don't need to pretend now that there was something horrible.
He takes some responsibility for the pick in that he never should have thrown that ball in the first place, but yes it was very flukey.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

That fluke INT was absolutely on Trask.

First, the situation: Less than 2 minutes in the half, your side of the field, 3rd & long. It's okay to take a sack there. Even if he completes the pass to the covered RB, it more than likely doesn't get a 1st.

Secondly, the throw:Late & off balance. That's never a good combination. Again, White was well covered and well short of a 1st down. Very little to gain from that situation even if it were completed.

Third, the result: No, Trask didn't throw this pass to the DB. But his decision to make this throw created the opportunity for the defense to make a play. And they capitalized.

Unnecessary superhero attempts are why Jameis Winston is no longer here. It was 1 play but it was absolutely a bad one.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kind of funny that I very much thought of that game as a Jameis Winston era Bucs game. Plenty of points. Air yards. Weird turnovers. Clutch throws to bring the team back. Costly missed FG. Loss.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 pm Kind of funny that I very much thought of that game as a Jameis Winston era Bucs game. Plenty of points. Air yards. Weird turnovers. Clutch throws to bring the team back. Costly missed FG. Loss.
Only the INT was weird. The strip sack was just what happens when your offensive linemen get manhandled.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Oh please with the "INT was on Trask" BS. Every QB in the league makes that same play in that situation - get out of the grasp, throw it to a rb. Just a freakish bounce. Nothing wrong with that decision, not throwing it up for grabs. People are trying to find a reason to whine.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Caradoc wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:45 pm Oh please with the "INT was on Trask" BS. Every QB in the league makes that same play in that situation - get out of the grasp, throw it to a rb. Just a freakish bounce. Nothing wrong with that decision, not throwing it up for grabs. People are trying to find a reason to whine.
The only QBs who routinely throw the ball while in the grasp of a defender are QBs who won’t be winning games. Trask played well, but that interception is on him.
Last edited by Primeminister on Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Caradoc wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:45 pm Oh please with the "INT was on Trask" BS. Every QB in the league makes that same play in that situation - get out of the grasp, throw it to a rb. Just a freakish bounce. Nothing wrong with that decision, not throwing it up for grabs. People are trying to find a reason to whine.
Trask didn't get out of the grasp though. He was literally falling to the ground sideways. No accuracy on the throw, no velocity, no nothing. It allowed the DB to make a play on the ball. The INT was flukey but it doesn't happen without that poor decision.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

The interception wasn't his fault.

The throw was. If caught, loss of yards, clock continues to run.

Throw it at the feet of the RB, incomplete pass, clock stops.

Decision making will come with experience, not gonna be overly concerned with it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If he takes the sack it's the exact same result as if the RB catches the pass. Loss of yards, clock continues to run. That's why throwing it in the 1st place was the wrong decision in that situation.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I don't even think it was an interception. Yep! I think it touched the ground.

Go nuts.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Caradoc wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:13 pm His "horrific two minutes" consisted of an absolute fluke INT that wasn't remotely on him and a strip sack when the entire OL got beat like a cheap drum. He had an excellent outing. He'll come back to earth soon enough, we don't need to pretend now that there was something horrible.
He never should have thrown the pass in the first place. The sack was an OL thing but he has to put the ball away.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Nobody wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:49 am Real zoomed out thoughts after watching just condensed version:

* Hainsey looked balanced, relatively technically sound, good footwork in Zone. Seemed like we ran more Zone than Duo so that was interesting (maybe because the sense is that Hainesy is a quicker but less stout player…which also showed up on a few reps in Pass Pro). Communication among iOL had some struggles.

* Lefty’s play calling was excellent and that offense is looking increasingly less Arians and increasingly more diverse in the run game and hybrid in the passing game.

* From Stinnie on down, Guard play was not good. Anchor was bad in Quick Sets against Bull Rushes and not consistent work in the run game. And this was against mostly Miami 2s and 3s. Not great.

* WRs had a day from route running to easy receiving of the football to RAC to blocking in the run game. This is going to be an extremely difficult cut.

* Young TEs both showed up. Good reps blocking and for Cotton in the passing game.

* Some solid play in the front 7 on defense and a really great pass rush reps for depth Edge; Speed to Power > convert for Gill and Slap Outside Arm > Dip > convert for Nelson. Good to see.

* Really really too bad that Borregsles absolutely shanked that last FG after ripping the first one post-TO. The difference between that make vs that absolutely slicing shank could have been the difference between him locking in the kicking job.
Alright, I've watched the tape on this and I need to say a few more things:

* I need to go back on my Hainsey commentary above. This was not quite the good game I had thought initially. He had some good reps on Zone runs and a few solid reps in Pass Protection and I think I just let that mislead me a bit. He had a lot of poor reps (whiffs, quick sheds, or getting manhandled) in the run game when he was asked to Drive or Seal a Nose (which is the bulk of what our Center does in the running game). His Pass Pro overall also wasn't as good as I thought. This was not a great showing against the depth iDL of Miami. And, again, there was clearly subtle assignment miscommunication in the iOL here and there. Yeah, I know Mason will be in there during reg season (assuming no injuries), but the LG and C play and communication needs to get drastically better than what they put out there against depth players or we're going to have some struggles on offense.

* Guard play overall was even worse than I thought except for Walton's snaps at RG. He was solid in the snaps he had there (not a ton). Stinnie wasn't good. LG play was pretty much how I thought, except Goedeke, while not great, was much, much better than Leverett. I don't know if Walton can play LG, but I'd like to see it in the preseason games to come.

* Holy crap is Ko Kieft a pleasure to watch. Rudolph better not take his spot. Cut Rudolph right now if that is even a question. This kid is likely to be my favorite pick of this draft. Just fantastic in the run game. Technically beautiful to watch and an absolute finisher with consistent motor. This ain't Stocker. This kid is MUCH better than Stocker was in the first multiple years of his time here and that 1 game of tape looks plain different than what you see out of most NFL veteran TEs in the running game. And its not awkward try-hard without athleticism. Kid looks to be an athlete. I suspect he can catch the ball a little bit. Would love to see him get a lot of snaps this year in 3rd and short and Redzone Tight.

* Trask has got to process much better. This was not a good game in terms of reading coverage presnap correctly and getting the ball where it needed to be on time and with anticipation. Too often, he's prioritizing the wrong routes and holding onto the football when he doesn't need to and checking down after he's misread things initially. Or he's getting the ball out way late (a Hitch to Otton late in the game was like this and it put Otton in danger and led to a PBU on what should have been an easy pitch-and-catch for 6-7). Too many plays like that last game against depth players and a very vanilla defense. Open guys or guys open elsewhere because he didn't read a very vanilla and pretty obvious Cover 3 Zone. He also needs to get through his progressions much, much faster.

Decent game in some ways, but I really don't want to see pre and post snap processing issues like that against 1s in the NFL. I've seen that before in processing-intensive offenses (like this one). It doesn't end well. Next game needs to show a lot more assertive confidence on where he is going with the football and a bevy of throws out with anticipation to the primary read or quickly getting to the 2nd read and getting there with the ball.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Sorry... we must have all watched a different game.
Trask was slow to process, made poor decisions and threw some ugly balls against people that will be calling you trying to sell you a time share in two months.

I should remind all of you Gabbertt looked like prime Warner out there against the same crew. Trask only started producing with the Walmart greeters.

I thought we learned our lesson with the "he just needs more time" nonsense when it comes to homer draft selections. Guess not.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Stinnie wasn't good
I hope this doesn’t surprise anybody. If he’s starting, that’s a very bad thing.
BucFanClw

Post by BucFanClw »

Trask I thought did pretty well. The decision was likely based on an inside 2 minute desperation situation, which he will learn from. The kid is smart. You could see him going through his progressions well for the most part. I'd like to see him start next week to go against the 1's for a series or 2.

I wouldn't want to be making the calls on who gets cut from this WR group. Sterns, Johnson, Darden, and Howland all made good cases for keeping them.

We need to do a much better job of opening rushing lanes, but White had a solid game in his first NFL action.

Cam Gill was the highlight on the defensive side, and overall I think we had a pretty decent showing there outside the easy TD after the int.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Cracks me up reading how "crappy" our QB was and how "awesome" our bottom of the list WR's were. Seems to me the latter can't succeed unless the former does his job. But then again, if this fan base didn't have something to bitch about, this place would dry up and blow away.
Push the damned button already!
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

IronDog wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am Cracks me up reading how "crappy" our QB was and how "awesome" our bottom of the list WR's were. Seems to me the latter can't succeed unless the former does his job. But then again, if this fan base didn't have something to bitch about, this place would dry up and blow away.
I often think about how quiet a Utopia would be…
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

Has anyone mentioned Trask’s tiny arm on that under-throw to Miller. We don’t need another Horace Copeland incident
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Leftwich has had playcalling duties here since day one and it's resulted in three top 3 finishes. I don't know what you think we're "getting away from" but I hope we don't go too far away.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:04 pm Leftwich has had playcalling duties here since day one and it's resulted in three top 3 finishes. I don't know what you think we're "getting away from" but I hope we don't go too far away.
* Lefty’s play calling was excellent and that offense is looking increasingly less Arians and increasingly more diverse in the run game and hybrid in the passing game.
He answered that here.

You are free to disagree about the difference or how much control BA had on the offense. I don't think a single pre-season game is proof either way.

Basically, he hopes we have more balance than we did under BA.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Nobody wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 am
Nobody wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:49 am Real zoomed out thoughts after watching just condensed version:

* Hainsey looked balanced, relatively technically sound, good footwork in Zone. Seemed like we ran more Zone than Duo so that was interesting (maybe because the sense is that Hainesy is a quicker but less stout player…which also showed up on a few reps in Pass Pro). Communication among iOL had some struggles.

* From Stinnie on down, Guard play was not good. Anchor was bad in Quick Sets against Bull Rushes and not consistent work in the run game. And this was against mostly Miami 2s and 3s. Not great.

* WRs had a day from route running to easy receiving of the football to RAC to blocking in the run game. This is going to be an extremely difficult cut.

* Young TEs both showed up. Good reps blocking and for Cotton in the passing game.

* Some solid play in the front 7 on defense and a really great pass rush reps for depth Edge; Speed to Power > convert for Gill and Slap Outside Arm > Dip > convert for Nelson. Good to see.

* Really really too bad that Borregsles absolutely shanked that last FG after ripping the first one post-TO. The difference between that make vs that absolutely slicing shank could have been the difference between him locking in the kicking job.

* I need to go back on my Hainsey commentary above. This was not quite the good game I had thought initially. He had some good reps on Zone runs and a few solid reps in Pass Protection and I think I just let that mislead me a bit. He had a lot of poor reps (whiffs, quick sheds, or getting manhandled) in the run game when he was asked to Drive or Seal a Nose (which is the bulk of what our Center does in the running game). His Pass Pro overall also wasn't as good as I thought. This was not a great showing against the depth iDL of Miami. And, again, there was clearly subtle assignment miscommunication in the iOL here and there. Yeah, I know Mason will be in there during reg season (assuming no injuries), but the LG and C play and communication needs to get drastically better than what they put out there against depth players or we're going to have some struggles on offense.

* Guard play overall was even worse than I thought except for Walton's snaps at RG. He was solid in the snaps he had there (not a ton). Stinnie wasn't good. LG play was pretty much how I thought, except Goedeke, while not great, was much, much better than Leverett. I don't know if Walton can play LG, but I'd like to see it in the preseason games to come.

* Holy crap is Ko Kieft a pleasure to watch. Rudolph better not take his spot. Cut Rudolph right now if that is even a question. This kid is likely to be my favorite pick of this draft. Just fantastic in the run game. Technically beautiful to watch and an absolute finisher with consistent motor. This ain't Stocker. This kid is MUCH better than Stocker was in the first multiple years of his time here and that 1 game of tape looks plain different than what you see out of most NFL veteran TEs in the running game. And its not awkward try-hard without athleticism. Kid looks to be an athlete. I suspect he can catch the ball a little bit. Would love to see him get a lot of snaps this year in 3rd and short and Redzone Tight.

* Trask has got to process much better. This was not a good game in terms of reading coverage presnap correctly and getting the ball where it needed to be on time and with anticipation. Too often, he's prioritizing the wrong routes and holding onto the football when he doesn't need to and checking down after he's misread things initially. Or he's getting the ball out way late (a Hitch to Otton late in the game was like this and it put Otton in danger and led to a PBU on what should have been an easy pitch-and-catch for 6-7). Too many plays like that last game against depth players and a very vanilla defense. Open guys or guys open elsewhere because he didn't read a very vanilla and pretty obvious Cover 3 Zone. He also needs to get through his progressions much, much faster.

Decent game in some ways, but I really don't want to see pre and post snap processing issues like that against 1s in the NFL. I've seen that before in processing-intensive offenses (like this one). It doesn't end well. Next game needs to show a lot more assertive confidence on where he is going with the football and a bevy of throws out with anticipation to the primary read or quickly getting to the 2nd read and getting there with the ball.

I expect some flare ups if Red starts planting big name OLB's.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Hainsey, in terms of his build and his game, is very similar to Jensen. Both are much better in pass protection and as movement players. It's not surprising he drafted him to succeed Jensen in this context, or that he's struggling in those other areas.

Leverett is trash. Stinnie was better in 2020 than he was on Saturday. I'll have to re-watch Walton I guess. It would be interesting if he can crash the converssation.

Keift is a Man. He's not going anywhere. He's destined to be a fan favorite too. I think we carry 4 TEs with him, Rudolph, Brate, and Otton. It's a solid group of veterans and youth and different skill sets.

In Trask's defense, we're talking about a player who was a backup for most of his high school career and a backup for most of his college career. He also spent last year not reading defenses, but rebuilding his mechanics. In other words, he was drafted as a project and he still is.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:08 am

Hainsey, in terms of his build and his game, is very similar to Jensen. Both are much better in pass protection and as movement players. It's not surprising he drafted him to succeed Jensen in this context, or that he's struggling in those other areas.

Leverett is trash. Stinnie was better in 2020 than he was on Saturday. I'll have to re-watch Walton I guess. It would be interesting if he can crash the converssation.

Keift is a Man. He's not going anywhere. He's destined to be a fan favorite too. I think we carry 4 TEs with him, Rudolph, Brate, and Otton. It's a solid group of veterans and youth and different skill sets.

In Trask's defense, we're talking about a player who was a backup for most of his high school career and a backup for most of his college career. He also spent last year not reading defenses, but rebuilding his mechanics. In other words, he was drafted as a project and he still is.
Iirc, Jensen wasn't viewed very favorably by many in here his first couple of years with the team either. Then along comes Brady and everything changed. Now his looked upon favorably by most of the fanbase.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 am
MJW wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:08 am

Iirc, Jensen wasn't viewed very favorably by many in here his first couple of years with the team either. Then along comes Brady and everything changed. Now his looked upon favorably by most of the fanbase.
Jensen wasn't viewed favorably by many here in March before re re-signed him. Most were more than happy to let him walk BECAUSE we had drafted Hainsey.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The evolution of my view on Jensen is pretty much this:

* Year 1 = Bottom tier Center for unbelievable overpay when there were better options that we passed on prior.

* Next 3 years (2 with Brady) = Much improved but still a tendency to have terrible PFs/UCs (sometimes drive crippling), have breakdowns in Pass Pro that are costly, and this is happening with an All Pro LG and a very solid RG next to him and the OL-friendliest QB all time taking snaps from him.

Ultimately, in that 3 year arc, he becomes around a top 8-10 Center in the league and his salary regresses to meet that. He also becomes an “intangibles powerhouse.” His teammates love him and he routinely plays with brutal injuries. So while his play on the field is 8-10, those intangibles bounce him up to around 6th best Center in the league.

* Here is the thing in the NFL, the drop-off between Elite/borderline Elite play to JAG/“just south of JAG” play is just HUGE. So if Brady is here and we’re making a run for a title, you really should and HAVE to bring Jensen back. My guess is it’s almost a 100 % sure bet that Jensen’s return was a precondition of Brady unretiring…and you have to think he is MEGA ticked that Jensen is gone day 2 TC because of a lazy LG rep + a reckless Rookie iDL rep. A 45 year old vet making one last stand doesn’t need to be taking snaps from an unknown quantity (with a lesser player next to that unknown quantity to boot).

But if it’s Gabbert or Trask taking snaps in a 5 win season? Hainsey needs to play (whether at Center or Guard).
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Nobody wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 am The evolution of my view on Jensen is pretty much this:

* Year 1 = Bottom tier Center for unbelievable overpay when there were better options that we passed on prior.

* Next 3 years (2 with Brady) = Much improved but still a tendency to have terrible PFs/UCs (sometimes drive crippling), have breakdowns in Pass Pro that are costly, and this is happening with an All Pro LG and a very solid RG next to him and the OL-friendliest QB all time taking snaps from him.

Ultimately, in that 3 year arc, he becomes around a top 8-10 Center in the league and his salary regresses to meet that. He also becomes an “intangibles powerhouse.” His teammates love him and he routinely plays with brutal injuries. So while his play on the field is 8-10, those intangibles bounce him up to around 6th best Center in the league.

* Here is the thing in the NFL, the drop-off between Elite/borderline Elite play to JAG/“just south of JAG” play is just HUGE. So if Brady is here and we’re making a run for a title, you really should and HAVE to bring Jensen back. My guess is it’s almost a 100 % sure bet that Jensen’s return was a precondition of Brady unretiring…and you have to think he is MEGA ticked that Jensen is gone day 2 TC because of a lazy LG rep + a reckless Rookie iDL rep. A 45 year old vet making one last stand doesn’t need to be taking snaps from an unknown quantity (with a lesser player next to that unknown quantity to boot).

But if it’s Gabbert or Trask taking snaps in a 5 win season? Hainsey needs to play (whether at Center or Guard).
You look at tape way more than I do so you're probably more right than I am. My opinion on Jensen, and the OL in general, was more a product of who he/they were blocking for before Brady got here. When it was Jameis at QB, I felt he held the ball too long, therefore bringing pressure upon himself. Brady gets the ball out much quicker, thus helping the OL. As for run blocking, I think Jensen does a fine job. But, again, I don't look at tape like you do.
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Nobody wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 am

Any thoughts of a correlation between Jensen's injury and Brady's vacation?

Whatever story we're being told...it was planned, etc....I found reeking of bs and I don't know what the deal is or even could be but I hadn't considered Jensen getting hurt and Brady stepping out for at least 10 days.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Four Verticals wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Whatever story we're being told...it was planned, etc....I found reeking of bs and I don't know what the deal is or even could be but I hadn't considered Jensen getting hurt and Brady stepping out for at least 10 days.
It wouldn't make much sense to not want to practice because your center went out.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 pm

It wouldn't make much sense to not want to practice because your center went out.
Especially when you know said center is in danger of missing the entire season....
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Maybe he is trying to get some center to come out of retirement.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

tin foil hats aplenty up in here.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 pm

I'm talking reconsideration.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Interesting thought, but I don’t think so. Football and injuries are synonymous. Brady‘s entire lifestyle is dedicated to avoiding injury.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Y'all in here drawing crazy-ass Pepe Silvia maps with red string and Brady's literally just on a family vacation. I almost guarantee you that's it, or something comparable.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Fatukasi kinda reminded me of Kendell Beckwith.