2022 Offseason Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: 2022 Offseason Thread

Post by mdb1958 »

It's a do nothin scheme because of the players performing it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:59 pmLOL
It's malfunctioning.
nybf

Post by nybf »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:46 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:22 pm

Apple TV is available on Fire Sticks and Roku (confirmed). If you don't want to use Apple, don't get Sunday Ticket...but this isn't about hardware.
Also MLB on Apple+ can be streamed on Android devices from their website. I am sure it will be the same with Sunday Ticket.
The one Mets game on apple had a lot of actual broadcast problems. And the booth was a shill all game for Apple products. Fuck Apple broadcasting sports.
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:19 am
kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:46 pm

Also MLB on Apple+ can be streamed on Android devices from their website. I am sure it will be the same with Sunday Ticket.
The one Mets game on apple had a lot of actual broadcast problems. And the booth was a shill all game for Apple products. Fuck Apple broadcasting sports.
I haven't had Sunday Ticket since moving back to Tampa in 2012, but my understanding is it's still the actual networks (FOX, CBS) which carry all the 1pm and 4pm games and that the Sunday Ticket just allows fans from outside the local/regional TV market to watch whatever game they want via the FOX/CBS feed, no?

With Apple taking over Sunday Ticket will they be the ones carrying/broadcasting the games? Will it be an Apple production with their own people in the booth, etc?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:28 am

I haven't had Sunday Ticket since moving back to Tampa in 2012, but my understanding is it's still the actual networks (FOX, CBS) which carry all the 1pm and 4pm games and that the Sunday Ticket just allows fans from outside the local/regional TV market to watch whatever game they want via the FOX/CBS feed, no?

With Apple taking over Sunday Ticket will they be the ones carrying/broadcasting the games? Will it be an Apple production with their own people in the booth, etc?
No the broadcast games will still be on the networks. They are just buying the DirectTV package.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Who all played the inside cornerback for us last year? SMB and the safeties?
nybf

Post by nybf »

I'd be willing to bet as part of any deal they get at least one exclusive game a week. I doubt this is going to just be a cut and paste of Sunday ticket.
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 am

I'd be willing to bet as part of any deal they get at least one exclusive game a week. I doubt this is going to just be a cut and paste of Sunday ticket.
Maybe, but wouldn't that exclusive game be a Primetime game that has it's own slot. The Sunday Ticket doesn't apply to primetime games, just the 1pm and 4pm games on Sunday (like The RedZone Channel).

Amazon owns Thursday Night Football

NBC owns SNF

ESPN owns MNF

Maybe Apple take MNF from ESPN?
Dread

Post by Dread »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:46 am Tim Wansley
You bastard!!
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:51 am
nybf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 am

Maybe, but wouldn't that exclusive game be a Primetime game that has it's own slot. The Sunday Ticket doesn't apply to primetime games, just the 1pm and 4pm games on Sunday (like The RedZone Channel).

Amazon owns Thursday Night Football

NBC owns SNF

ESPN owns MNF

Maybe Apple take MNF from ESPN?
NFL's deals with ESPN, Amazon, Fox, NBC, and CBS go through 2033.

From everything I've read this is exclusively for the Direct TV portion.

Now, they could give them additional rights to the same games, but they can't just take those slots from the other deals that all start next year.

Edit 2: Looking at some of these deals that start next year;

ESPN- $2.7 billion per year includes MNF, Super Bowl LXI, LXV, 1 exclusive national game on ESPN+, Divional Round Game, and the existing Wild Card Game. The deal increases ESPN's games by 23 games each season.

NBC- SNF, Thanksgiving games, Football Night and America, The opening game of the season,2026, 2030, 2034 Super Bowls, and Divisional and Wild Card Games..plus all Deportes games

Amazon- TNF (exclusive).

Fox- Same game schedule as before on Sunday afternoons for NFC games (loses TNF)

CBS- Same game schedule as before on Sunday afternoons for AFC games

All of these combine for $105 billion, not including the Sunday Ticket.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

On defense, besides JTS, are there any others that we are coaching up to hopefully become starters?
Ourlads already has JTS penciled in as the starter - not so sure he's earned it yet.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:40 am On defense, besides JTS, are there any others that we are coaching up to hopefully become starters?
Ourlads already has JTS penciled in as the starter - not so sure he's earned it yet.
I think the same can be said for Mike Edwards. He seems to be in the right place at the right time when he's on the field, so it might seem as if he's ready. But that's usually when he plays as the 3rd safety. When he's been asked to play more, he kind of gets exposed.

Now with Logan Ryan there now OBP might be indicating that they don't think Edwards is heir apparent to Whitehead. It's a contract year for both of them so there could be heavy competition in TC.

Deeper dive, we don't have a ton of young cheap talent invested in this defense. Hopefully this draft we invest in that side of the ball more than we have been.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Well ------------------- I was thinking young or old.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

What older players could the staff be coaching up? Nacho maybe, if Suh doesn't return? Other than that every spot seems to be spoken for. The draft will clear up a lot of things. I think we see more rookies getting significant playing time from this draft class than last year's.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The 2023 cap space gets even smaller.

Max

Post by Max »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:06 pm The 2023 cap space gets even smaller.

Doesn't really matter imo. If Brady retires, we're not contending anyway and can eat most of the cap we spent for 2021/2022 and retool. If he decides to come back, we can easily push things back for another year.

And unlike this and last year, we won't have many high profile FAs next year (Dean, David).
Backside

Post by Backside »

I think Brady will play for another team after this year.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Per Scott Reynolds Bucs sign Deadrin Senat.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:36 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:06 pm The 2023 cap space gets even smaller.

Doesn't really matter imo. If Brady retires, we're not contending anyway and can eat most of the cap we spent for 2021/2022 and retool. If he decides to come back, we can easily push things back for another year.

And unlike this and last year, we won't have many high profile FAs next year (Dean, David).
Ummmm not true at all.

Not only will Brady be a FA, Dean, SMB, Edwards, Ryan in the secondary alone will be FAs. David and Gholston will also be FAs.

What’s the worst is no matter what Brady counts at minimum $32mil against our salary cap in 2023 in dead cap space. Because that amount was designated as a signing bonus, we can’t restructure it. Same thing occurred with Suh & Gronk.

I know this off-season was about people somehow convincing themselves that the NFL salary cap isn’t a real thing. But pushing things back another year becomes harder the more you do it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

We're going to lose guys next year, and it's going to hurt.

But this hasn't been about "next year" since TB12 came back. So let's use this space wisely and get better, hopefully with a defensive lineman or two.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:01 pm What older players could the staff be coaching up? Nacho maybe, if Suh doesn't return? Other than that every spot seems to be spoken for. The draft will clear up a lot of things. I think we see more rookies getting significant playing time from this draft class than last year's.
Deeper dive, we don't have a ton of young cheap talent invested in this defense. Hopefully this draft we invest in that side of the ball more than we have been

A ton of young or old talent - cheap? Yes we just swung a deal with another one.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Backside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:45 pm I think Brady will play for another team after this year.
Doubt it.
Max

Post by Max »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:54 pm
Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:36 pm

Ummmm not true at all.

Not only will Brady be a FA, Dean, SMB, Edwards, Ryan in the secondary alone will be FAs. David and Gholston will also be FAs.

What’s the worst is no matter what Brady counts at minimum $32mil against our salary cap in 2023 in dead cap space. Because that amount was designated as a signing bonus, we can’t restructure it. Same thing occurred with Suh & Gronk.

I know this off-season was about people somehow convincing themselves that the NFL salary cap isn’t a real thing. But pushing things back another year becomes harder the more you do it.
Love how you still pretend to know shit about the cap. We argued cap related things on multiple occasions and you've been wrong every step of the way.

Brady will only count 33 M against the cap if he doesn't renew his contract before the new league year starts next March. Only then would his contract void. If we re-sign him before then, his cap hit will likely end up in the 12-20 M range.

And I wrote high profile free agents and mentioned Dean and David. Apart of them, nobody is going to pay any of the guys you mentioned more than 5 million APY in free agency (as of now), so I wouldn't consider any of them as high-profile.

The cap absolutely is real, btw. People just don't have a clue how it works.
Max

Post by Max »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:08 pm We're going to lose guys next year, and it's going to hurt.

But this hasn't been about "next year" since TB12 came back. So let's use this space wisely and get better, hopefully with a defensive lineman or two.
People have been saying this since 2020. Hasn't happened, and won't happen again if Brady is back for another year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The offense won't get hit too hard in 2023 free agency. Brady, Gronk (when he comes back), and Stinnie are the only projected starters.

The defense? Egads.
Mike Edwards
Logan Ryan
Keanu Neal
Jamel Dean
Sean Murphy Bunting
Lavonte David
Anthony Nelson
William Gholston
Nacho

The only key defensive guys under contract beyond 2022: Vea, JTS, White, Shaq, Winfield and CD24.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:08 pm We're going to lose guys next year, and it's going to hurt.

People have been saying this since 2020. Hasn't happened, and won't happen again if Brady is back for another year.
See above. And let's not act like there were no losses THIS offseason. We lost a really good young guard, a really good young safety, and the best pure runner in our backfield. We're replacing JPP with a largely unknown player. We haven't replaced Suh or McClendon. We haven't replaced (or re-signed) Gronk.

We're going to lose starters next offseason. At some point, if you don't draft well, it catches up with you.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

People say, "Well, the Saints..." but the Saints have generally been an excellent drafting team, especially on their lines. They had a HOF quarterback, and that covered their losses well. Right now, they don't have a quarterback, a left tackle, or a wide receiver, and their defense has suffered some major defections.

We need to get a lot more from the 2022 class than we got from the 2021 class last year.
Let's roll another joint
Max

Post by Max »

Again, the only impact players we can't cheaply replace in free agency are Dean and David.

That's the point I was making.
Max

Post by Max »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:03 pm People say, "Well, the Saints..." but the Saints have generally been an excellent drafting team, especially on their lines. They had a HOF quarterback, and that covered their losses well. Right now, they don't have a quarterback, a left tackle, or a wide receiver, and their defense has suffered some major defections.

We need to get a lot more from the 2022 class than we got from the 2021 class last year.
Yeah and that's not what I'm arguing. The Saints are actually a terrible example for salary cap management. They suck at it. They messed up their cap situation that badly after their SB victory that they went 7-9 four times in a five year span with a HOF QB in his prime and HOF coach.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:50 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:54 pm

Ummmm not true at all.

Love how you still pretend to know shit about the cap. We argued cap related things on multiple occasions and you've been wrong every step of the way.

Brady will only count 33 M against the cap if he doesn't renew his contract before the new league year starts next March. Only then would his contract void. If we re-sign him before then, his cap hit will likely end up in the 12-20 M range.

And I wrote high profile free agents and mentioned Dean and David. Apart of them, nobody is going to pay any of the guys you mentioned more than 5 million APY in free agency (as of now), so I wouldn't consider any of them as high-profile.

You said that same thing with Gronk & Suh.

Here's where your lack of understanding shines. Voidable years can't be restructured if the voided portion is made up of funds already paid out. In this instance, most if not all of Brady's dead cap has been paid out. For obvious reasons, that can't be reduced/changed. If we choose to re-sign him, his cap hit will still include the $32mil in dead cap space.

You made up this fictional tale about teams being able to reduce dead cap hits from voidable years. The ONLY way that happens is if Brady agrees to a pay cut and agrees to pay money back.
Max

Post by Max »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm
Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Here's where your lack of understanding shines. Voidable years can't be restructured if the voided portion is made up of funds already paid out. In this instance, most if not all of Brady's dead cap has been paid out. For obvious reasons, that can't be reduced/changed. If we choose to re-sign him, his cap hit will still include the $32mil in dead cap space.

You made up this fictional tale about teams being able to reduce dead cap hits from voidable years. The ONLY way that happens is if Brady agrees to a pay cut and agrees to pay money back.
Wrong.

Brady's cap charge in 2023 is currently scheduled to be 8 M (that's from the prorated signing bonuses we already paid him).

If he isn't on the roster when the new league year starts, his contract voids and all remaining prorated money (8M in 2023, 2024 and 2025) gets accelerated against the 2023 cap (24 M + the 9 M we just pushed to 2023 equals the 33 M)

If he signs a new contract before the new league year starts, the prorated money that's currently prorated to 2024 and 2025 stays there and doesn't get accelerated against the 2023 cap.

So his 2023 hit would be:.

- 8 M (old prorated money - can't be manipulated)

- 3 M (prorated money from todays restructure, other 6 M goes to 2024 and 2025, assuming no additional void years have been added)

- 2023 base salary (probably vet minimum)

- 2023 signing bonus/contract years (including void years)

And that would likely end up im the 12-20 million range.
MJW

Post by MJW »

There's a report - that makes sense based on what we know about Toney at this point - that the Giants are shopping the Florida wideout.

Dave Gettleman is amazing.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:24 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm

Wrong.

Brady's cap charge in 2023 is currently scheduled to be 8 M (that's from the prorated signing bonuses we already paid him).

If he isn't on the roster when the new league year starts, his contract voids and all remaining prorated money (8M in 2023, 2024 and 2025) gets accelerated against the 2023 cap (24 M + the 9 M we just pushed to 2023 equals the 33 M)

If he signs a new contract before the new league year starts, the prorated money that's currently prorated to 2024 and 2025 stays there and doesn't get accelerated against the 2023 cap.

- 3 M (prorated money from todays restructure, other 6 M goes to 2024 and 2025, assuming no additional void years have been added)

I'm very entertained by these ridiculous parameters you have made for voidable year deals. If that was even a remote possibility don't you think teams would do it with every contract they ever signed a player to?

I don't know how you made this up in your head but you're wrong. You can't even prove what you're saying. So the only thing I can do is wait until next league year where you'll be proven wrong yet again.
Max

Post by Max »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:45 pm
Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Wrong.

I'm very entertained by these ridiculous parameters you have made for voidable year deals. If that was even a remote possibility don't you think teams would do it with every contract they ever signed a player to?

I don't know how you made this up in your head but you're wrong. You can't even prove what you're saying. So the only thing I can do is wait until next league year where you'll be proven wrong yet again.

You're a fucking moron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:51 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:45 pm

You're a fucking moron.
Interesting Greg would go there when he had to correct himself being wrong when he said the same exact thing about Gronk & Suh. I'm sure he'll correct himself again next year.