NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:50 am
Snake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:41 am you know what would be hilarious?

If the dolphins can’t find a single candidate who agrees with them that Tua is a franchise quarterback. It’s going to be the first question. “What do you think about Tua?”
Honestly it wouldn't shock me if that's the reason they are interviewing so many candidates. Chan Galey openly championed for him. Might need to give him a call lol
It was reported a few days ago that they are looking at a HC committed to Tua as the franchise QB. They may be scratching coaches who say "and what if he's isn't?" I wonder if they are looking for a candidate that's all pumped for Tua like they were getting Mahommes?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 pm
It was rumored when Culley was hired that the Texans WANTED to hire Josh McCown at that time, but felt it was a bit too soon in his development to do so (he had literally had just retired.) It'll be interesting to see that theory tested a year later.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 pm
It was rumored when Culley was hired that the Texans WANTED to hire Josh McCown at that time, but felt it was a bit too soon in his development to do so (he had literally had just retired.) It'll be interesting to see that theory tested a year later.
Was reading they want someone else to interview McCown to legitimize his candidacy. Why not bring him in under someone else elder and have them know it’s a pass off job?
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He's never coached more than high school. To bring him in as a head coach is a very risky proposition, but that's typical Houston.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah, I’m skeptical as well. However, being a clipboard holder for nearly 20 years has its advantages. I’d be lying if I said I knew how good of a leader he was or his aptitude for coaching.

I’m at the point where if a new HC doesn’t get paired with a good/great quarterback, does it even matter who you hire?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

To this point Flores is the only fired HC to receive an interview with another team. This would be his 3rd.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Pro Football Radio Team discusses reports that Jim Harbaugh and Stephen Ross have had a preliminary discussion in regards to the vacancy of head coach for the Dolphins. Ross, a Michigan man, doesn’t want to pry Harbaugh away from his alma mater, but Harbaugh seems to be keen on making it back to the NFL.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 am
The Pro Football Radio Team discusses reports that Jim Harbaugh and Stephen Ross have had a preliminary discussion in regards to the vacancy of head coach for the Dolphins. Ross, a Michigan man, doesn’t want to pry Harbaugh away from his alma mater, but Harbaugh seems to be keen on making it back to the NFL.
If you think Jim Harbaugh is the best coach of the Dolphins, and you can get him, you owe it to the actual Dolphins fans to try. The people who buy the season tickets and the hats and the $50 parking. The idea that Ross would refuse to pursue Harbaugh because it would hurt his alma mater should fundamentally piss Dolphins fans off. Especially when they've been so consistently mediocre since he bought the team, and especially since he just fired a relatively successful and promising head coach.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:30 am
Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 am
If you think Jim Harbaugh is the best coach of the Dolphins, and you can get him, you owe it to the actual Dolphins fans to try. The people who buy the season tickets and the hats and the $50 parking. The idea that Ross would refuse to pursue Harbaugh because it would hurt his alma mater should fundamentally piss Dolphins fans off. Especially when they've been so consistently mediocre since he bought the team, and especially since he just fired a relatively successful and promising head coach.
This basically reads like Harbaugh is pleading with Ross to hire him and Ross is apprehensive.

To this point nearly 2 weeks into the coaching vacancies, Harbaugh has not received 1 official interview despite the rumors that he would receive a lot of interest. Seems it's been a 1 way street thus far.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty much no college names this time around. Unless I’m missing the news.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:21 am Pretty much no college names this time around. Unless I’m missing the news.
You're right. Zero
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 am
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:21 am Pretty much no college names this time around. Unless I’m missing the news.
You're right. Zero
There could be a coordinator or two, but Urbie kind of slammed the door on prospects
MJW

Post by MJW »

Crocaneers wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 am
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 am

You're right. Zero
There could be a coordinator or two, but Urbie kind of slammed the door on prospects
I think David Shaw gets any job he wants, but at this point I doubt anyone is even bothering to ask.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kellen Moore’s people reached out to TCU after they fired Gary Patterson. TCU turned him down. He also interviewed for Eagles HC opening last season. And Boise State, his alma mater. Didn’t get offers IIRC. But the Cowboys threw a bunch of money at him after Boise. So that might be misinformation.

Different skill sets between College and NFL HC. I still found this interesting. I think the media likes pushing (white) boy geniuses tbh.

I also wonder how much more money Jerry Jones is willing to throw at him. He had Sean Payton in the building and let him go. Maybe he doesn’t make the same mistake twice? Then again, he hired McCarthy with Moore in the building.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am Kellen Moore’s people reached out to TCU after they fired Gary Patterson. TCU turned him down. He also interviewed for Eagles HC opening last season. And Boise State, his alma mater. Didn’t get offers IIRC. But the Cowboys threw a bunch of money at him after Boise. So that might be misinformation.

Different skill sets between College and NFL HC. I still found this interesting. I think the media likes pushing (white) boy geniuses tbh.

I also wonder how much more money Jerry Jones is willing to throw at him. He had Sean Payton in the building and let him go. Maybe he doesn’t make the same mistake twice? Then again, he hired McCarthy with Moore in the building.
The feeling has always been that Jason Garrett was his attempt to atone for letting Payton walk.

I do kind of find the Kellen Moore fetishism interesting. Like...really, you coordinated a (sometimes) great offense, and all you had was Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard, Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Michael Gallup, and an excellent offensive line? Okay.

And unlike Byron Leftwich - who also could suffer this criticism - Moore hasn't been marinating under great coaches. He's been an assistant for four seasons under Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy - a guy who got fired and a guy who's going to get fired.
Let's roll another joint
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am Kellen Moore’s people reached out to TCU after they fired Gary Patterson. TCU turned him down. He also interviewed for Eagles HC opening last season. And Boise State, his alma mater. Didn’t get offers IIRC. But the Cowboys threw a bunch of money at him after Boise. So that might be misinformation.

Jerruh couldn't keep his ego in check well enough to co-exist with Jimmy Johnson, he then (after Parcells) hired and kept Jason fucking Garrett as a head coach for almost a decade.

Mr. Jones doesn't make good decisions when it comes to coaching personnel, or any personnel for that matter.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:21 pm

The feeling has always been that Jason Garrett was his attempt to atone for letting Payton walk.

I do kind of find the Kellen Moore fetishism interesting. Like...really, you coordinated a (sometimes) great offense, and all you had was Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard, Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Michael Gallup, and an excellent offensive line? Okay.

And unlike Byron Leftwich - who also could suffer this criticism - Moore hasn't been marinating under great coaches. He's been an assistant for four seasons under Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy - a guy who got fired and a guy who's going to get fired.

I definitely see the appeal of Kellen Moore. He's young, he played a decent amount at QB (for a backup) in the league and was always lauded more for his understanding of the game than his physical attributes. He also was behind pretty good QBs in Romo and Cassel for the majority of his time as a player. I have no doubt that Kellen Moore knows how to draw up an offense or call plays. The difference between himself and Leftwich, aside from the obvious difference in the quality of their coaching mentors, is that Leftwich was a much better player for a much longer time than Moore was and the majority of Leftwich's playing time was as starting QB.

It's not often talked about but I really think that with the way offenses work in the NFL today that having been a starting QB at some point can be a major benefit to a prospective OC or HC.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Per espn
According to multiple sources, the Raiders and Vikings both reached out to former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell this week to request to interview him, and he declined both requests. This indicates strongly that Caldwell believes he will get one of the other open jobs, and my understanding is that he’s in the mix in both Chicago and Jacksonville and already is reaching out to candidates for his staff
At least Byron Leftwich staying here.

Edit
Dan Graziano of ESPN reported this week that Caldwell declined the chance to interviews with the Raiders and Vikings about their vacancies. Caldwell said that report is incorrect.

“I would like to correct an erroneous report that I turned down opportunities to interview for the head coaching job with Minnesota and Las Vegas,” Caldwell said. “Those reports are not true. I have profound respect for both organizations and for the Wilf and Davis families and I did not decline any opportunity to interview with them.
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why take a job that isn’t going to have a great quarterback? It’s one thing if you’re 2009 Raheem Morris and about to make 50 times more money. It’s another if you’re Caldwell and beyond set.

Edit: gotta love that Caldwell statement. I’m sure his agent “leaked” the false reports of denial to get his name back out there.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I know Arians is coming back next season but if he retires, will you guys be ok with Payton here?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Payton goes to Dallas if he goes anywhere.

Would not be thrilled if he came here, great coach but bit of a shitty human being.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:23 am I know Arians is coming back next season but if he retires, will you guys be ok with Payton here?
If Arians retires and we keep the majority of our veteran core (led by Brady) to try to win another ring, I'd rather give Bowles or Leftwich the job for some semblance of continuity.

If that doesn't happen, with our coordinators gone to greener pastures and our aging vets including Brady retire, I'd rather go with a young promising mind than an old retread.

I'd have to be pretty desperate to want Sean Payton.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:23 am I know Arians is coming back next season but if he retires, will you guys be ok with Payton here?
NO!!!!! Payton is an ass.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Fuck Drew Brees.

Fuck Sean Payton.

I don’t want anyone on the squad identifying with BountyGate. Even if it happens all the time anyway.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lol, of course I would be ok with that.

Just wouldn’t happen in a million years.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Honestly, how many of us would have thought we would be Tom Brady fans three years ago??? I sure as hell wouldn't have believed I would....

Payton is one hell of a creative coach and right now, we all despise him but if he were to come here, we would likely change our tune

We even accepted AB, lol
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:19 am
Honestly, how many of us would have thought we would be Tom Brady fans three years ago??? I sure as hell wouldn't have believed I would....

Payton is one hell of a creative coach and right now, we all despise him but if he were to come here, we would likely change our tune

We even accepted AB, lol
There’s a line. It’s not like we’re bringing in the ghost of Aaron Hernandez.(although he may still be better than OJ Howard).

Comparison wise: Belicheck coaching the Jets or Bills. Tomlin coaching the Ravens. It just doesn’t happen.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No one is seriously saying they wouldn't want Sean Payton as their head coach. That's just fandom talk they think makes them sound cool.

Dude is 5th among active coaches in winning percentage. And if you think it was because of Drew Brees, not exactly. Payton is 18-8 without Brees starting.

Why would anyone oppose a coach that knows how to win?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:26 am No one is seriously saying they wouldn't want Sean Payton as their head coach. That's just fandom talk they think makes them sound cool.

Dude is 5th among active coaches in winning percentage. And if you think it was because of Drew Brees, not exactly. Payton is 18-8 without Brees starting.

No one? I am seriously saying that I do not want Payton as the HC of the Buccaneers. I think he is the wrong person for the job for multiple reasons. You can disagree with me all you want. You can label it whatever you want. The better question is why would Payton want to leave the Saints? If it is because he is afraid of the rebuild then he is not all that good of a coach, right? I guess the other option is that he is crazy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:31 am
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:26 am No one is seriously saying they wouldn't want Sean Payton as their head coach. That's just fandom talk they think makes them sound cool.

No one? I am seriously saying that I do not want Payton as the HC of the Buccaneers. I think he is the wrong person for the job for multiple reasons. You can disagree with me all you want. You can label it whatever you want. The better question is why would Payton want to leave the Saints? If it is because he is afraid of the rebuild then he is not all that good of a coach, right? I guess the other option is that he is crazy.
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:26 am That's just fandom talk they think makes them sound cool.
!!