Fournette may be out

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Fournette may be out

Post by Defense5599 »

Just got a report that the Bucs may place him on IR due to his hammy injury. IR for a hammy?? WTF???
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Redrum

Re: Fournette may be out

Post by Redrum »

Signed Le'veon Bell
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:32 pm Just got a report that the Bucs may place him on IR due to his hammy injury. IR for a hammy?? WTF???
He ruptured his hammy. If it is a stage 1 rupture, it would still be 3-5 weeks for rehab. So if he is going to miss at least 3 games, why not put him on IR so you can use his money to sign another back?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Redrum wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:37 pm Signed Le'veon Bell
I certainly hope he does not see the field. He has not looked good and could not stick with other teams. Ronald Jones has to be a much better option.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:32 pm Just got a report that the Bucs may place him on IR due to his hammy injury. IR for a hammy?? WTF???
He ruptured his hammy. If it is a stage 1 rupture, it would still be 3-5 weeks for rehab. So if he is going to miss at least 3 games, why not put him on IR so you can use his money to sign another back?
Rupture signifies 90-100 % tear of the tissue.

I assume wherever you got this from meant stage 1 tear/strain?

If it’s a rupture he’s donezo.
nybf

Post by nybf »

You just got a report? Like personally? Was it a homing pigeon or something?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Well that's horrible news.

Bell doesn't excite me, but I mean who else could we get? Todd Gurley? Kerryon Johnson?

Ugh.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think Fournette will be back for playoff
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rojo is a free agent in three months. He can make himself A LOT of money between now and then. Here's hoping he does so.

Also, Vaughn, time for the big boy pants, to paraphrase Dick Vermeil.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Kress

Post by Kress »

Cheb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:05 pm Well that's horrible news.

Bell doesn't excite me, but I mean who else could we get? Todd Gurley? Kerryon Johnson?

Ugh.

The one good thing about Bell is he has always been a hell of a pass blocker. He's almost an extra lineman out there. If Bell isn't serving as an outlet, he will at least give our backup-to-the-backup WR crew an extra second or two to get open. That's about all the silver I can find in that lining.

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:01 am Also, Vaughn, time for the big boy pants, to paraphrase Dick Vermeil.
I heard a nasty stat this morning: Coming out of the backfield, Vaught has been targeted 12 times this year. Out of those 12, he has 5 drops and one fumble. I mean......
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Nobody wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Rupture signifies 90-100 % tear of the tissue.

I assume wherever you got this from meant stage 1 tear/strain?

If it’s a rupture he’s donezo.
My bad, Joebucfan reported it Schefter reported Fournette "blew out" his hamstring.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2021/12/repo ... enny-game/
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

nybf wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 pm
MJW

Post by MJW »

Kress wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am
Cheb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:05 pm Well that's horrible news.

Ugh.

The one good thing about Bell is he has always been a hell of a pass blocker. He's almost an extra lineman out there. If Bell isn't serving as an outlet, he will at least give our backup-to-the-backup WR crew an extra second or two to get open. That's about all the silver I can find in that lining.

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:01 am Also, Vaughn, time for the big boy pants, to paraphrase Dick Vermeil.
I heard a nasty stat this morning: Coming out of the backfield, Vaught has been targeted 12 times this year. Out of those 12, he has 5 drops and one fumble. I mean......
I wasn't expressing optimism about Vaughn at this point. He looks broken. But if he's going to have a career in Tampa, this is his best (last?) opportunity.

As for Bell, yeah. I like the signing. The guy does the two things Rojo really struggles with - pass blocking and catching.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I for one still believe in Vaughn.

When a player is getting limited touches, sometimes he can get in his own head about it, trying to make the most of his opportunities. He overthinks things and fucks up, and then he crawls inside of his head even more. It's a positive feedback loop and can spiral a player down in a really bad way. The best way to get a player out of that is to give him snaps and let him know that he isn't going to get benched when he sneezes.

I say that Vaughn's time to shine is now, and while getting Bell in to take emergency snaps is nice, I'd rather give touches to a young player with upside than a washed up veteran who is literally on his last legs.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:22 am I for one still believe in Vaughn.

When a player is getting limited touches, sometimes he can get in his own head about it, trying to make the most of his opportunities. He overthinks things and fucks up, and then he crawls inside of his head even more. It's a positive feedback loop and can spiral a player down in a really bad way. The best way to get a player out of that is to give him snaps and let him know that he isn't going to get benched when he sneezes.

I say that Vaughn's time to shine is now, and while getting Bell in to take emergency snaps is nice, I'd rather give touches to a young player with upside than a washed up veteran who is literally on his last legs.
That's fair, and I hope he makes good with this opportunity. Dude has an extremely short leash I think. One more fumble or even one more terrible drop, that could be it. Arians has cut guys out of the gameplan for less.
Let's roll another joint
Dread

Post by Dread »

I hope you're right. On the brightside the Bucs will be able to get better look at Vaughn to better gauge how big of a role he'll have in the RB depth chart heading into 2022. Is he a guy who can be relied on and have a role? Or is he a guy who drops passes and fumbles too much?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

We haven't really seen enough of him to lose faith. At least I haven't. If you just took the wrong 20 play snapshot of Lenny as a Buc, one could easily dismiss him as a disaster.

Personally I'd want to see Vaughn get 10 or 15 touches a game at least rather than washed Bell getting time on the field. For better or worse we need to see what Vaughn truly is as a player. Right now is a great opportunity to see if he can rise to the challenge or if he needs to be written off as a draft miss.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I suppose, but if true, that kind of mental makeup isn't exactly what I want to see in a pro athlete - especially at a high-leverage skill position like that. I don't want the guy who fears fucking up again, I want the Alpha who knows he is going to score every time he touches the ball.

Your comment made me think of the little leaguer standing out in right field, secretly hoping nobody hits the ball to him. When Vaughn goes out into the flat on 4th and 3, and Brady starts looking his way, is he thinking "oh shit, better hold on to this one?" Or is it, "oh hell yes, gimme the damn ball."
Kress

Post by Kress »

MJW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:06 am As for Bell, yeah. I like the signing. The guy does the two things Rojo really struggles with - pass blocking and catching.

So at least we're not obvious now. Bell in, 99.9% pass. Rojo in, prepare for a run or, at best, an rpo.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Kress wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:50 am
MJW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:06 am As for Bell, yeah. I like the signing. The guy does the two things Rojo really struggles with - pass blocking and catching.

So at least we're not obvious now. Bell in, 99.9% pass. Rojo in, prepare for a run or, at best, an rpo.
Heck, with Godwin lost put them both out there.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

You heard wrong, he has had two targets and they were in the Saints game.

That game is like playing, I heard Gronk had 9 drops in the Saints game.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I like the idea of RoJo as bell cow against these shitty teams heading into the playoffs. Let him have the Fournette role and see if he can make those simple catches in the flat. If you still don't trust him to pass block, it's understandable, take him out on third and long. But if we don't get him 15-20 carries, and more importantly, time to get into a rhythm, I'll be very disappointed. I still think he has elite ability with the ball in his hand, and may very well be our playoff X-factor at this point.
nybf

Post by nybf »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:33 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 pm

There's an enormous difference between reading a tweet from Schefter and saying "I just got a report."
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Vaughn was mediocre in college and is not just a non-factor when on the field but a liability for us.

Give the ball to Rojo and Bell
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:51 pm Vaughn was mediocre in college and is not just a non-factor when on the field but a liability for us.

Vaughn had two 1000+ yard rushing seasons in the SEC playing for Vanderbilt, with a healthy 6.4 yards per carry and 21 rushing touchdowns. He was far from a mediocre college player.

I'll say for Vaughn what I said for RoJo after everyone was ready to crucify him after his rookie year; give him time and give him touches because the flashes are there.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:51 pm Vaughn was mediocre in college and is not just a non-factor when on the field but a liability for us.

Yeah, I have as much faith in Vaughn as I did when I reviewed his Vandy tape and advanced metrics.

That is, to say, none.

People were pretty pissed at my dismissal of the pick at the time, but I saw a player that wasn’t a natural pass catcher, didn’t show consequential route proficiency or exceptional traits that would translate to winning 1v1 on Angle/Option routes and then winning in space/breaking tackles. I saw major issues and inconsistency in Pass Protection, I saw various issues that made me question his ability to be a reliable runner (1st level contact balance and vision, lack of burst/explosiveness as a one cut runner in Zone, not an exceptional forced missed tackle player nor pile mover).

And no evidence that he would be a great special teams player.

Now we’re seeing some mental issues (not even contributing to STs by end of year 2?). Maybe he’ll figure it out and become an ascendant player. I’m skeptical!
Snake

Post by Snake »

Vaughn was a weird pick and I think the BucZone receipts show that we collectively saw it that way. One dimensional pure rusher without a ton of wiggle and a straight line guy.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How well do advanced metrics work on a 49 play pro career? I hope he has a good game.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:10 pm How well do advanced metrics work on a 49 play pro career? I hope he has a good game.
Advanced college metrics, not professional.

Advanced metrics plus tape show a hell of a lot when projecting a RB. Probably more than any position.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nobody wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Yeah, I have as much faith in Vaughn as I did when I reviewed his Vandy tape and advanced metrics.

That is, to say, none.

People were pretty pissed at my dismissal of the pick at the time, but I saw a player that wasn’t a natural pass catcher, didn’t show consequential route proficiency or exceptional traits that would translate to winning 1v1 on Angle/Option routes and then winning in space/breaking tackles. I saw major issues and inconsistency in Pass Protection, I saw various issues that made me question his ability to be a reliable runner (1st level contact balance and vision, lack of burst/explosiveness as a one cut runner in Zone, not an exceptional forced missed tackle player nor pile mover).

And no evidence that he would be a great special teams player.

Now we’re seeing some mental issues (not even contributing to STs by end of year 2?). Maybe he’ll figure it out and become an ascendant player. I’m skeptical!
I can't speak to the metrics, but I remember doing the math and figuring out his fumble rate at Vandy per touch was roughly double what would be considered reasonable. I was hoping to discover it had been a fluke thus far in Tampa, but no.

Thinking about who I would have loved at that pick (without any hindsight), I was really hoping for Leki Fotu, Terrell Lewis, Saahdiq Charles, Logan Stenberg, or Anthony McFarland (not that one.)

Didn't really get the pick at the time, just on the eyeballs.
Let's roll another joint
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:28 am I heard a nasty stat this morning: Coming out of the backfield, Vaught has been targeted 12 times this year. Out of those 12, he has 5 drops and one fumble. I mean......

You heard wrong, he has had two targets and they were in the Saints game.

That game is like playing, I heard Gronk had 9 drops in the Saints game.
Wait...I thought Gronk had 12 drops and batted a pass up that was intercepted in the Saints game. (Funny, I looked that Vaughn stat up as soon as I read it, too.)
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »