Rapid Reactions Week 15: Bucs lose 9-0 vs Saints

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Rapid Reactions Week 15: Bucs lose 9-0 vs Saints

Post by Grahamburn »

I switched over to Schindler’s List during the second half. Not sure which viewing experience made me cry more.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

So what can really be learned from this game? It's just such a throwaway game that only resulted in playoff seeding consequences and potentially bad injury news to our best offensive weapons.

Otherwise, just a useless game for the Bucs. Nothing about the game last night is representative of the players on this team. The oline is clearly much better than that. Brady, obviously, is not that guy from last night.

I mean what even if the message to the team after that? Don't lose your top weapons and get shut out?

If anything, this points a light at the lack of preparedness this team has between games. And it demonstrates clearly that either the Leftwich and Arians are unwilling or incapable of reevaluating team philosophy and gameplans. Arians is already blaming the loss on injuries and execution and doesn't even question their gameplan which looked no different than the four previous failed attempts to beat the Saints.

What's really worrying is that nothing will be learned by Arians, Leftwich, and possibly even Brady. Because next week and every week thereafter this offense and gameplan will look identical to last night regardless of opponent and their strengths/weaknesses. All it will take is some defense not getting bullied by our brute force whack a mole offense and the whole house of cards will collapse.
nybf

Post by nybf »

ATrain wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:28 pm No words.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

nybf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:59 am
ATrain wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:28 pm No words.
It's a figure of speech
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 am So what can really be learned from this game? It's just such a throwaway game that only resulted in playoff seeding consequences and potentially bad injury news to our best offensive weapons.

Otherwise, just a useless game for the Bucs. Nothing about the game last night is representative of the players on this team. The oline is clearly much better than that. Brady, obviously, is not that guy from last night.

I mean what even if the message to the team after that? Don't lose your top weapons and get shut out?

If anything, this points a light at the lack of preparedness this team has between games. And it demonstrates clearly that either the Leftwich and Arians are unwilling or incapable of reevaluating team philosophy and gameplans. Arians is already blaming the loss on injuries and execution and doesn't even question their gameplan which looked no different than the four previous failed attempts to beat the Saints.

What's really worrying is that nothing will be learned by Arians, Leftwich, and possibly even Brady. Because next week and every week thereafter this offense and gameplan will look identical to last night regardless of opponent and their strengths/weaknesses. All it will take is some defense not getting bullied by our brute force whack a mole offense and the whole house of cards will collapse.
Very good points and you hit it right on the head with our inept coaching staff. They won that Super Bowl last year on talent alone. And while Licht had the idea of bringing everyone back, that only made this team the same as they were while other teams got better.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 am So what can really be learned from this game?
Here's an idea - RUN THE FUCKING FOOTBALL!

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 amI mean what even if the message to the team after that? Don't lose your top weapons and get shut out?
We were getting our asses kicked before we lost these 'top weapons'. I mean not like the Saints didn't have guys not playing.

The message to the team? Oh I don't know - how about we're going to RUN THE MFING FOOTBALL!!

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 amIf anything, this points a light at the lack of preparedness this team has between games. And it demonstrates clearly that either the Leftwich and Arians are unwilling or incapable of reevaluating team philosophy and gameplans. Arians is already blaming the loss on injuries and execution and doesn't even question their gameplan which looked no different than the four previous failed attempts to beat the Saints.
You are absolutely correct. As bad as the team played the coaching staff lost this game.

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 amWhat's really worrying is that nothing will be learned by Arians, Leftwich, and possibly even Brady. Because next week and every week thereafter this offense and gameplan will look identical to last night regardless of opponent and their strengths/weaknesses. All it will take is some defense not getting bullied by our brute force whack a mole offense and the whole house of cards will collapse.
'Nuff said.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

Jones ran 8 times for 63 yards. What is it, 7.5 yards per carry?

As a team we averaged 5.5 YPC.

And that is how you establish your OL playing physical.

I know it looks great to see Brady throwing every down, casuals love it.

Certain teams you need to come in and take the wind out of their sails early.....

You don't allow a team that wants to play bully ball to play bully ball!

You run right down their fing throats. You go 3 and out you run it down their fucking throats the next possession too.

Saints come in fired up to beat us and we let them get right into bully ball....

OL forced to play on their heels, receivers getting mangled and Brady runn...err... lumbering around for his life.

It's SICKENING to watch these punks beat the fuck out of us and laugh all game long as they do it.

I feel bad for the OL, they never had a chance.

3rd and 1 we saw what they could do, pushed the entire center of the line back 5 yards......

And Brady hands off to Vaughn 5 yards behind the LOS. Why? They were getting physical with him.

I just don't understand how we can play 60 minutes, run the ball successfully but still not understand what is happening.

BeliCheat had at least a decent QB this year but comes out and run every play of the entire game but 3 the other night.....

That's how you tailor game plans to who you play.

We have no clue on the sidelines, none.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 am Jones ran 8 times for 63 yards. What is it, 7.5 yards per carry?

Certain teams you need to come in and take the wind out of their sails early.....

You run right down their fing throats. You go 3 and out you run it down their fucking throats the next possession too.

Saints come in fired up to beat us and we let them get right into bully ball....

OL forced to play on their heels, receivers getting mangled and Brady runn...err... lumbering around for his life.

It's SICKENING to watch these punks beat the fuck out of us and laugh all game long as they do it.

3rd and 1 we saw what they could do, pushed the entire center of the line back 5 yards......

And Brady hands off to Vaughn 5 yards behind the LOS. Why? They were getting physical with him.

I just don't understand how we can play 60 minutes, run the ball successfully but still not understand what is happening.

BeliCheat had at least a decent QB this year but comes out and run every play of the entire game but 3 the other night.....

It's just coaching malpractice. If the Three Stooges just dropped their ego for one fucking game and pounded the rock all game, we win that game easily. Brady would've been able to open up the passing game as the game progressed with play action and the Saints defense would've been worn down by the rushing attack.

The decision making that went into that abortion of a game is just inexcusable and indefensible.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sean McVay could put together a better gameplan in his sleep.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Really isn't a surprise that our brand of football this year doesn't travel well.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Maybe with Brady basically losing MVP, which btw he and Arians were CLEARLY trying to win, we can now just focus on winning games by any means necessary and the team will be better for it.

That's about the only silver lining I can muster today.
Snake

Post by Snake »

People make a lot of excuses. Like the offense missing a bunch of contributors. Until you realize the Saints are playing hill at quarterback, are missing Thomas, and both OTs. I’m sure I’m forgetting others. lol…
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:12 am People make a lot of excuses. Like the offense missing a bunch of contributors. Until you realize the Saints are playing hill at quarterback, are missing Thomas, and both OTs. I’m sure I’m forgetting others. lol…
There's no excuse. Brady still had better weapons to work with than Hill. But it would require adjusting and playing the Saints differently, which after 4 tries with identical gameplans and identical results, is clearly not a route Arians and company are willing to take.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:12 am People make a lot of excuses. Like the offense missing a bunch of contributors. Until you realize the Saints are playing hill at quarterback, are missing Thomas, and both OTs. I’m sure I’m forgetting others. lol…
Their HC/play caller.

We are not the type of team that adapts and it's been a criticism of many for all BA coached teams. As pointed out in the game thread, Brady's desire to throw the ball is just as, if not more, responsible for our game plan than any coach. At the line he has the ability to check to a run and more often than not he opts to pass, regardless of the defense he sees.

The Saints are a horrible matchup for us. It's even worse when you lose Godwin, who had 6 catches for 49 yards in 1 quarter of play. After Godwin left, Brady couldn't find open receivers. Even the awesome catch by Evans, he was covered...Gronk got open a few times, but had an off night with drops. WRs not getting open, defense knowing we weren't going to run, Brady getting skittish and that's why we've lost the last however many in a row to the Saints.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 am Sean McVay could put together a better gameplan in his sleep.
Sean McVay’s farts could put together a better game plan than what those clowns gave us last night.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 am Sean McVay could put together a better gameplan in his sleep.
The thing I love about McVay is from drive to drive you simply don't know how his offense is gonna attack you.
BLT

Post by BLT »

The Saints have a horrible QB and WR's. Us being limited with injuries only evened the playing field a little bit, but there's no reason we shouldn't have still won the game by two scores.

The play calling was atrocious and the amount of check downs was astounding. Brady is scared of getting hit he always has been. Jordan and Davenport set the tone and after that Brady said no way in hell I'm holding on to this ball for more than 1.5 seconds if the first option wasn't there immediately he was swinging it out to the RB.

Gronk had a couple of missed opportunities to keep key drives going that was unfortunate.

We were soft. The Saints are dirty and play tough and physical. This offense cowered in response.

SMB didn't look very good on a few plays.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Sounds like they'll be fine but I'm taking the news like this in the midst of all the praise Jesus

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I don't know what the offense was expecting, but they were on another planet of bad. Bad to the point that the entire offense should donate their week's salary to charity because they didn't earn a damn dime of it.
Don't tread on me
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

@Nobody Please make our strategy last night make sense.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:30 pm @Nobody Please make our strategy last night make sense.
Nobody does analysis, not miracles.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BLT wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:17 am
Primeminister wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Buddy, you ARE a troll. Not just current actions. I don’t mind a good troll every so often, but your act got boring a while back even before the name change. It’s too bad because sometimes you make a decent point.

Anyways knock yourself out with debating someone else.
Stop feeding him then
I don’t.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 am Jones ran 8 times for 63 yards. What is it, 7.5 yards per carry?

There is nothing the coaching staff can say today to make this shit make sense. They should have gone the route of the Pats gameplan vs the Bills. It blows my mind that this simple shit is somehow ignored.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

We didn't get into the red zone at all. Not once.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

It’s an 80s movie.

This was the giant can of embarrassing asswhoop and gut-punch that costs you all your dudes.

Next act features the recovery/getting stronger montage.

Final act features the comeback?

That or this was Alien and last night was the chest-burster scene. Ripley will get the creature out of the airlock but the ship and mission is lost.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I have serious doubts about this team going forward. Last night the strength of this team was eviscerated. Not sure getting healthy enough is a possibility at this point.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Okay, here goes. Let the healing begin:

1) This was the most Dungy-esque game I can remember since Dungy. A game where the defense played incredible, but because they didn't score a defensive touchdown or two, we lost because the offense was pathetic. It was understandable when it was Trent Dilfer and Les Steckel. Less so now. Even with the injuries, Brady, Rojo, Gronk, Brate...these are talented players, getting playcalls from offensive gurus and head coaches in waiting.

2) The Godwin loss is devastating. As you might know, I've been big into the analytical approach to our receiver position going forward. But this season has proven that CG is more valuable than Evans, Gronk or any other skill position guy besides Brady. For the first time, I feel like the odds are better for "The Field" than us.

3) Cam Jordan is a good player, but he's not as good as Tristan Wirfs has made him look in these matchups. No idea what the bugaboo is. Jordan just owns WIrfs. It's not like Jordan is the only good player Wirfs faces or anything either.

4) Back on Godwin, just pay him. Let the chips fall with AB. But pay Godwin. Just thinking about how tough the road forward is without him in the lineup, there's no way we should let him walk.

5) I'm so incredibly sick of Devin White overrunning tackles or missing because he tries to grab guys by their necks. He reminds me of John Randle, in the sense that he'll make two terrible plays and then one splash play and it'll be a great drive for D-White. He's not nearly as bad as PFF thinks he is, but last night was the kind of game where I see where they're coming from.

6) Brady looked old. Enough said.

7) Gronk gets a pass. These games happen. It's a testament to his greatness that they're so rare and glaring when they do for him.

8) Mike Edwards picks that damn ball off.

9) JPP is painful to watch. We've reached the point of his career where him doing something mundane like setting an edge or redirecting a run is noteworthy. Much respect. But this should no longer be a timeshare. We should be talking about his snaps vs Cam Gill, not his snaps vs JTS.

10) Okay Succop, that's enough now.

11) Jalen Darden touches end like Jim Morrison concerts - with him falling down. He's already better than App State's Dexter Jackson. No doubt. But there's definitely some of the same energy.

12) Quick quiet RIP to Pat O'Connor, who is the kind of guy you like on special teams and as a 10 snap wave lineman.

13) We feel A LOT like a one-and-done right now. Like we're going to get the 3 seed and play the 49ers at home as favorites and get manhandled.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:43 pm

There is nothing the coaching staff can say today to make this shit make sense. They should have gone the route of the Pats gameplan vs the Bills. It blows my mind that this simple shit is somehow ignored.
Wait - you mean coaches are allowed to study film of previous games the opposing team has played? I think this esoteric tidbit has somehow escaped our brilliant leaders.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Game was so bad, I didn't even want to watch Monday Night Football....