Lavonte down now...

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Pirate Life

Lavonte down now...

Post by Pirate Life »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ar-season/

Foot sprain. Did a black cat walk across the tunnel before the Bucs came out or something?
Snake

Re: Lavonte down now...

Post by Snake »

They pulled that New Orleans voodoo shit.
Kress

Post by Kress »

We should be happy we are sitting where we are 3 weeks out, as opposed to fighting for our playoff lives here. Just limp on in and try to get healthy(er) at this point.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

This just shows how much luck is a part of any super bowl run. We had some guys get bang up and miss a few games here and there but only Vea missed significant time and even he was back for the end of the run.

This year, it's not going our way so much
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Lavonte’s game this Sunday was incredible. Almost every assignment on the field was a win or a big play. It was an absolute clinic in Off-ball LBer play; perfect in coverage including a few very difficult assignment, perfect in run fits B to B, utterly dominant in read > react > spill/fill on perimeter plays (including plays where iDL/Edge didn’t win snd made his job very difficult), fantastic pass rush rep and win, made multiple big plays on his own.

The guy has the worst luck in the world (like playing that kind of All Pro, dominant game when our WRs go down and their backups + TEs + OL are complete no-shows and worse in such a crucial game + our offensive gameplan is such a mess) and the fact that our fanbase is so completely muted on him because he’s not loud and showy or because he wasn’t Kuechly is so frustrating.

I’d have loved to have spent this week breaking down his great play. I could literally pull dozens of clips out.

Replacing him is an impossibility, but the offenses we’re facing are so bad that hopefully it doesn’t matter.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm Lavonte’s game this Sunday was incredible. Almost every assignment on the field was a win or a big play. It was an absolute clinic in Off-ball LBer play; perfect in coverage including a few very difficult assignment, perfect in run fits B to B, utterly dominant in read > react > spill/fill on perimeter plays (including plays where iDL/Edge didn’t win snd made his job very difficult), fantastic pass rush rep and win, made multiple big plays on his own.

The guy has the worst luck in the world (like playing that kind of All Pro, dominant game when our WRs go down and their backups + TEs + OL are complete no-shows and worse in such a crucial game + our offensive gameplan is such a mess) and the fact that our fanbase is so completely muted on him because he’s not loud and showy or because he wasn’t Kuechly is so frustrating.

I’d have loved to have spent this week breaking down his great play. I could literally pull dozens of clips out.

Replacing him is an impossibility, but the offenses we’re facing are so bad that hopefully it doesn’t matter.
Is David HoF worthy in your opinion?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Absolutely. No question.

I’ve made the case elsewhere. His play-making numbers are staggering, he’s been a top 3 Coverage LBer for almost a decade (both Man and Zone), he’s one of the best run and chase LBers ever, his run fits and angles are always on point, his assignment integrity is incredibly consistent.

All of that despite playing multiple positions on multiple defenses with poor play around him.

And he’s a model teammate on and off the field.

The fact that it is even a question is pretty embarrassing as a Bucs fan. It’s an indictment of “the NFL process” and the arbitrary nature with which the casual NFL fanbase/media heralds one player vs ignoring another.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

When will twitter do another info dump for us?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:20 pm Absolutely. No question.

I’ve made the case elsewhere. His play-making numbers are staggering, he’s been a top 3 Coverage LBer for almost a decade (both Man and Zone), he’s one of the best run and chase LBers ever, his run fits and angles are always on point, his assignment integrity is incredibly consistent.

All of that despite playing multiple positions on multiple defenses with poor play around him.

And he’s a model teammate on and off the field.

The fact that it is even a question is pretty embarrassing as a Bucs fan. It’s an indictment of “the NFL process” and the arbitrary nature with which the casual NFL fanbase/media heralds one player vs ignoring another.
I think he's HoF worthy easily. But there's fan bias there that I can't ignore.

Also, as you mentioned, David has been criminally ignored by the media as a whole which could be his main roadblock to Canton. Because his on the field play it longevity, and good nature all warrant a Gold Jacket
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:38 am This just shows how much luck is a part of any super bowl run. We had some guys get bang up and miss a few games here and there but only Vea missed significant time and even he was back for the end of the run.

This year, it's not going our way so much
Nay. OJ Howard. I'm surprised we made it as far as we did last year.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm The guy has the worst luck in the world (like playing that kind of All Pro, dominant game when our WRs go down and their backups + TEs + OL are complete no-shows and worse in such a crucial game + our offensive gameplan is such a mess) and the fact that our fanbase is so completely muted on him because he’s not loud and showy or because he wasn’t Kuechly is so frustrating

Been my favorite player on the team for a long time. Glad we have him around, but can't help thinking he'd be more well-known and have more recognition if he was in a different market. He's one of the best ever at his position.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:59 pm
Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm The guy has the worst luck in the world (like playing that kind of All Pro, dominant game when our WRs go down and their backups + TEs + OL are complete no-shows and worse in such a crucial game + our offensive gameplan is such a mess) and the fact that our fanbase is so completely muted on him because he’s not loud and showy or because he wasn’t Kuechly is so frustrating

Been my favorite player on the team for a long time. Glad we have him around, but can't help thinking he'd be more well-known and have more recognition if he was in a different market. He's one of the best ever at his position.
Absolutely. If he was in a big market and or had a big personality, it would change his perception.

The effed reality that when Kwon was on this team there was a large segment of our fanbase that would (a) fawn over Kwon in the stead of LVD and also (b) try to shit on LVD in order to elevate Kwon tells you all you need to know.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:59 pm

Absolutely. If he was in a big market and or had a big personality, it would change his perception.

The effed reality that when Kwon was on this team there was a large segment of our fanbase that would (a) fawn over Kwon in the stead of LVD and also (b) try to shit on LVD in order to elevate Kwon tells you all you need to know.
Kwon fetishism was weird. Football fans in general have this weird habit of trying to turn every mid/late round draft pick who can play a little into a superstar. He was basically the worst parts of White without the elite athleticism. He was a solid player, but Lynch gave him way too much money and it's not surprising he's been bouncing around a bit.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Backside

Post by Backside »

Niners would be a nightmare WC round scenario. Doubly so if LVD is out that week.
Last edited by Backside on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Backside wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:27 am Niners would be a nightmare WC card scenario. Doubly so if LVD is out that week.
I agree with this.

This would feel A LOT like 2007, when we were division champs and hosted a much more physical opponent playing well (The eventual SB Champ Giants that year) and they manhandled us.

I feel pretty good about a rematch with Washington in our building. I feel good about the Cowboys (though that would likely be a 2nd Round matchup.) It's tough to say with the Rams, who don't look as good as they did when they played us the first time. I think Kyler Murray would chew us up. We'd beat the Falcons and the Vikings IMHO.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

MJW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:15 am
Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 pm

Kwon fetishism was weird. Football fans in general have this weird habit of trying to turn every mid/late round draft pick who can play a little into a superstar. He was basically the worst parts of White without the elite athleticism. He was a solid player, but Lynch gave him way too much money and it's not surprising he's been bouncing around a bit.
MLB get more credit/stardom than OLB in fan world
Kress

Post by Kress »

Pro Bowl snub again....
Dread

Post by Dread »

Backside wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:27 am Niners would be a nightmare WC round scenario. Doubly so if LVD is out that week.
Meh.. The 49ers have Garapalo at QB. I don't see him having the type game he would need to against our defense.

Say what you want about the Bucs run defense, but when we play the run in our base defense there hasn't been a RB that has done much.

Our run D has been exposed when teams run out of 3-4 WR sets to get us in a nickel/4man Dline, a running QB, or we're anticipating pass with a double digit lead.

Has a team lined up an run downhill with their RBs all game like the 49ers try to do?

Anything can happen in football, but it would tale the 49ers 'A game' combined with a poor effort from the Bucs imo

Potentially not having LVD to help on Kittle would hurt
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:00 am
Backside wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:27 am Niners would be a nightmare WC round scenario. Doubly so if LVD is out that week.
Meh.. The 49ers have Garapalo at QB. I don't see him having the type game he would need to against our defense.

Say what you want about the Bucs run defense, but when we play the run in our base defense there hasn't been a RB that has done much.

Our run D has been exposed when teams run out of 3-4 WR sets to get us in a nickel/4man Dline, a running QB, or we're anticipating pass with a double digit lead.

Has a team lined up an run downhill with their RBs all game like the 49ers try to do?

Anything can happen in football, but it would tale the 49ers 'A game' combined with a poor effort from the Bucs imo

This isn't a prediction 1 way or another. But your assessment of the Niners run game is completely wrong. They are extremely creative and diverse with their run game. They can run out of multiple packages and do so with RBs, TEsn and their FB.

So if you think they simply run out of 21 personnel with power blocking schemes 40 times a game you're sorely mistaken.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I think a team with a good gameplan/scheme is a big weakness to us. And Niners fit that bill perfectly. I can see the narrative being ‘Niners run attack vs the vaunted Bucs rush defense’ with the average fan or media person not realizing that the Bucs run defense isn’t near what it has been the last few years. And we end up getting gashed. Any creative running scheme that isn’t right up the middle has given us fits all year. If we sell out vs the run our secondary can’t handle Kittle Aiyuk and Deebo even if it’s ‘just’ Jimmy G throwing to them.

Obviously we still have the overall talent advantage, and Brady in the playoffs. And the Niners do not have a good secondary. But with the way our team currently looks. If the Niners were coming to town. I’d basically be assuming a loss and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk break tackles better than any trio in football. What does this defense struggle with? You guessed it.

I've been one of Jimmy's biggest critics since he got to San Fran. But this year when he's healthy he's making much better decisions. Shanahan is also playing better to his strengths and not asking him to do things he probably shouldn't. Their receivers are so athletic and versatile all he really has to do is get the ball to them and they do the rest.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:38 am
Dread wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:00 am

This isn't a prediction 1 way or another. But your assessment of the Niners run game is completely wrong. They are extremely creative and diverse with their run game. They can run out of multiple packages and do so with RBs, TEsn and their FB.

So if you think they simply run out of 21 personnel with power blocking schemes 40 times a game you're sorely mistaken.
Kyle Shanhan is their playcaller so they almost never run power. But they do hand it to the tailback very often (even if Deebo is lined up there) which was the point. Like all WCO run schemes from the Mike Shanahan tree they run alot of jet motions with the WRs.

Shanahan, McVay, Kubiak, Stefanski, LaFleur all run the similar scheme. Lots of inside and outside zone runs that everything else is built off of. Stop those zones runs early and they struggle.

But we know you're a 49er fan so it's not a surprise to see you gas them up