Bucs vs Saints Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BLT

Re: Bucs vs Saints Discussion

Post by BLT »

Snake wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:14 pm Still hates White. To be expected.
I mean... White needs to seriously step it up.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:02 am
Snake wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:14 pm Still hates White. To be expected.
I think most would agree, but he's also not near the 66 out of 86 for ILB in the NFL. They are saying he's worse than almost every backup, too.

Just like Tryon isn't almost the absolute worst Edge in the NFL.
Dread

Post by Dread »

The Devin White sucks narrative is back!!

I love this place.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need to step it up and claim power and ownership of the NFCS.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:08 am
BLT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:02 am

I think most would agree, but he's also not near the 66 out of 86 for ILB in the NFL. They are saying he's worse than almost every backup, too.

Just like Tryon isn't almost the absolute worst Edge in the NFL.
Listen I like Devin White. I think he's a budding Superstar in this league. But he deserves no defense at this stage of the season. He has not played as well as he is capable of. I don't know and neither do you how well other ILBs have played compared to him. I didn't agree with PFFs rankings last year. However the tape isn't lying now. DW has not been up to par.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Yeah, we went from... Devin White is the best ILB in the game to... He is NOT the 66th worst!

Miss me with that. He needs to play better.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Hmm.

BLT - I mean
USC - I like
Bootz - I think

Sigh
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Devin White doesn't suck, but he isn't playing as well as he has in the past.

The floor of expectations with Devin White has been raised. It used to be "flash every once in awhile and try not to fuck up too bad." Last year it was "keep flashing and improve your consistency." But now he is in his third season, with an All-Pro and Superbowl ring to his name. Expectations have risen accordingly.

Don't get me wrong; unless he implodes in a big fashion I envision that he's going to be on our team for a long, long time, and I'm glad he's on our team. But his game has always been in making explosive, game-altering plays, and thus far this year they haven't happened. He has one TFL, one fumble recovery, and two pass breakups to go with tackles through seven games. That's it.

Stars shine. Last year, especially in the playoffs, Devin White was brilliant. This year thus far he hasn't been. Average play is okay, but average play isn't good enough for Devin White. Not anymore.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Exactly.

And no one said he sucked. But I think everyone is disappointed he did not pick up where he left off.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Cheb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:46 am Devin White doesn't suck, but he isn't playing as well as he has in the past.

The floor of expectations with Devin White has been raised. It used to be "flash every once in awhile and try not to fuck up too bad." Last year it was "keep flashing and improve your consistency." But now he is in his third season, with an All-Pro and Superbowl ring to his name. Expectations have risen accordingly.

Don't get me wrong; unless he implodes in a big fashion I envision that he's going to be on our team for a long, long time, and I'm glad he's on our team. But his game has always been in making explosive, game-altering plays, and thus far this year they haven't happened. He has one TFL, one fumble recovery, and two pass breakups to go with tackles through seven games. That's it.

Stars shine. Last year, especially in the playoffs, Devin White was brilliant. This year thus far he hasn't been. Average play is okay, but average play isn't good enough for Devin White. Not anymore.
Very true, the other thing is people are playing us different with quick passes and getting rid of the ball quick .
Arians and Bowles said they were really happy with White and he is playing good .
This game will tell us because Jameis will run and so will the rb’s .
He should have some TFL’s this game
BLT

Post by BLT »

Arians and Bowles are not going to tell the media that Devin White has been disappointing, and out of position, instincts have been off, and has given up some YAC after poor tackling attempts.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:46 am Devin White doesn't suck, but he isn't playing as well as he has in the past.

This is an excellent post on DW. He has to shine. He was the 5th overall pick for a reason. No one is saying he's Aaron Curry. But he should be competing with guys like Wagner, Warner, Leonard for best at the position in football. Not having people believe Kevin Minter can admirably fill his shoes.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 am No one is saying he's Aaron Curry.
My post was saying that PFF says that he's worse.

The grade they are giving him is classified as "below back-up level". They are basically saying he's so bad he doesn't belong in the NFL, which is incorrect, even through the most polarizing lens.

Yes, he isn't playing like he was in the playoffs and there are some really bad plays, but he still stands out often in games. He's a quality starter that needs to do better.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

BLT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:06 am Arians and Bowles are not going to tell the media that Devin White has been disappointing, and out of position, instincts have been off, and has given up some YAC after poor tackling attempts.
None of that is true imo, he just hasn’t been lights out like he was last year . He is the Qb of the defense so he makes calls gets people in position . He has just been in more coverage this year with the way people are playing us
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

BLT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:06 am Arians and Bowles are not going to tell the media that Devin White has been disappointing, and out of position, instincts have been off, and has given up some YAC after poor tackling attempts.
I disagree. It would be completely off brand for BA to NOT call out players in the media.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:17 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 am No one is saying he's Aaron Curry.
My post was saying that PFF says that he's worse.

The grade they are giving him is classified as "below back-up level". They are basically saying he's so bad he doesn't belong in the NFL, which is incorrect, even through the most polarizing lens.

Yes, he isn't playing like he was in the playoffs and there are some really bad plays, but he still stands out often in games. He's a quality starter that needs to do better.
One of the numerous reasons I say to hell with PFF. I'm sorry but I can't trust metrics that don't explain how they got to a number. I don't care what they have to say good or bad.

But I don't need PFF rankings to tell me DW isn't playing up to par. This defense relies on him making plays and it's not happening. He has to do better.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Jason Bourne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:24 am
None of that is true imo, he just hasn’t been lights out like he was last year . He is the Qb of the defense so he makes calls gets people in position . He has just been in more coverage this year with the way people are playing us
I mean that's fine, but football games are recorded and you can go back for yourself and watch him do everything I listed above.

Again, he doesn't 'suck', but he's not playing to his potential and is barely average right now.

I'm sure it will change and he will turn it on, but like we are waiting bro.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Really don’t want to be sitting on a loss to Jameis Winston for two weeks.

Get er done.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If White isn’t making splash plays, he’s not doing good enough. He is a feast of famine type player. He wasn’t drafted in the top 5 to accrue a handful of tackles a game and get diced up through the air. This was my worry with him. If he’s not generating those opportunities, it’s hard to argue that he’s a net positive player.
nybf

Post by nybf »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:17 am They are basically saying he's so bad he doesn't belong in the NFL
You guys sure do love to make things up to justify your hatred of PFF.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:29 am I'm sorry but I can't trust metrics that don't explain how they got to a number.
I'm a giver

https://www.pff.com/grades
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

nybf wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:40 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:17 am They are basically saying he's so bad he doesn't belong in the NFL
You guys sure do love to make things up to justify your hatred of PFF.

@PFF
The Player Grading Scale:
100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable

So a 43.3 is not below 59?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ll put it this way: if Devin White finishes his fourth year with 2 TFLs, no sacks, no INTs, no FFs, and continues to be trash in coverage (All of which he’s on pace for this season), I would not pick up that fifth year option.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

based on this thread, it seems as if Devin White is to ILB as Jameis Winston is to QB
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:58 am I’ll put it this way: if Devin White finishes his fourth year with 2 TFLs, no sacks, no INTs, no FFs, and continues to be trash in coverage (All of which he’s on pace for this season), I would not pick up that fifth year option.
You're biased against him, though. Some are on the opposite spectrum with extreme optimism and see him as infallible, both are equally incorrect.

He's absolutely getting his 5th year picked up and rightfully so.

edit: 4th year?...Never mind. I read your post wrong.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:58 am I’ll put it this way: if Devin White finishes his fourth year with 2 TFLs, no sacks, no INTs, no FFs, and continues to be trash in coverage (All of which he’s on pace for this season), I would not pick up that fifth year option.
A decision will have to be made on his option after his 3rd year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Right, what I’m saying is if White continues to play this poorly through next year, I don’t know how you pick up that massive option. We know that he gets torched through the air. His missed tackle percentage is roughly double Bobby Wagner’s and 50% higher than Warner. That’s who he is being compared against

The defense is struggling overall compared to last season. They might get it right. We all know that White’s splash statistics usually come in bunches. It would not surprise me if he blew it up the rest of the season because there’s definitely some easy patches. But if he doesn’t blow it up, he is simply a replacement level sieve.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Is that how it’s drawn up? If he continues to play this terribly, that’s a harder choice than many believe. Or should be.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Jason Licht is picking up everyone's 5th year option no matter what. The Doug Martin situation scared him. He declined Martin's 5th year option and Martin had a career year in his 4th season. Licht felt forced to hand him a big extension, only to be burned by Martin's failing performance and drug suspension. Since then, everyone picked in the 1st has gotten their option exercised. Even busts like Vernon Hargreaves and OJ Howard.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 pm

Is that how it’s drawn up? If he continues to play this terribly, that’s a harder choice than many believe. Or should be.
It's a safe bet that regardless of how he plays the rest of the season, it's getting picked up.

I think you're being a bit irrational in this and I don't think he's been very good this year.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

That's how it's been for the last 10 years. 5th year options have to either be exercised or declined after the players 3rd season. Not their 4th. The difference now is the option is guaranteed no matter what. That's been since 2018 I believe.
Last edited by King Bootz on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 pm Jason Licht is picking up everyone's 5th year option no matter what.
It's true.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 pm

It's a safe bet that regardless of how he plays the rest of the season, it's getting picked up.

I think you're being a bit irrational in this and I don't think he's been very good this year.
I always look at it from a cap allocation standpoint. What is the difference in performance from a bad White to a JAG? That option could be 15m. I do have hangups with him as a player, granted.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Antonio Brown has been ruled out against the Saints. Not sure what happened to him in the Eagles game but it must be pretty serious for him to miss two weeks. Still no work on Gronk, David, or SMB.

It might be best to keep them all out, that way they come back healthy after the bye.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
BLT

Post by BLT »

Gronk is playing. LVD is probably playing. SMB is out.