2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Doctor »

Go get him Bowles.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm haha oof
Former Cardinals’ HC Kliff Kingsbury, a senior offensive analyst and quarterbacks coach at USC, is expected to interview for the Chicago Bears’ offensive coordinator job, per sources. Kingsbury’s USC QB Caleb Williams is expected to receive strong consideration to become the Bears’ No. 1 overall pick.
Didn't we see this story already?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 pm If Belichick hires a competent OC to manage Atlanta's offensive weapons, and works around building that defense, they could be quite good. Especially if the GM saves Bill from himself in regards to making bad personnel and draft moves.

Just saying.
The Falcons are a QB away from being a very good team.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 pm If Belichick hires a competent OC to manage Atlanta's offensive weapons, and works around building that defense, they could be quite good. Especially if the GM saves Bill from himself in regards to making bad personnel and draft moves.

Just saying.
This. Bill is still one of the 3 best defensive minds in football. He may still be one of the 3 best overall coaches.
Defensive minds, sure, there is a lot of football in that brain of his. Top 3 DC, I think he is not anymore
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah no shit
The Dallas Cowboys are expecting Dan Quinn to return as Mike McCarthy’s defensive coordinator for the 2024 season.

Via ESPN reporter Ed Werder.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:23 pm Yeah no shit
The Dallas Cowboys are expecting Dan Quinn to return as Mike McCarthy’s defensive coordinator for the 2024 season.

Via ESPN reporter Ed Werder.
Not really sure why he was expected to leave. Dudes defense just gave up all that to a young Green Bay. Then you gotta find someone to fix The offense
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:46 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm Not liking the idea of BB to the Failcons at all.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He’s a good coach but he’s not the football god people made him out to be. I would be more concerned if they ended up with a good QB.
A QB you say?

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Kansas City Chiefs are preparing for the possible retirement of head coach Andy Reid.

Via ProFootballTalk editor Mike Florio.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He’s a good coach but he’s not the football god people made him out to be. I would be more concerned if they ended up with a good QB.
A QB you say?

That gif gets me every time.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:44 am

A QB you say?

That gif gets me every time.
The night of the DOINK heard round the NFL that put Tom Brady in a special category.... a guy who beat all 32 NFL teams as a starter.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Chargers are interviewing Mike Vrabel.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Wow so Jerry is sticking with McCarthy?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

A QB you say?

I know that's Brady GIF. But sometimes the 12 reminds me of Dilfer :lol:
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Central_Buc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 am Wow so Jerry is sticking with McCarthy?
Yep. The Cowboys are a consistent QB away from contending for a Super Bowl trophy. The trouble is, Jerry will meddle in the process. The Cowboys will never get over the hump of getting to the NFC title game until Jerry the owner fires Jerry the GM.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 am Wow so Jerry is sticking with McCarthy?
Yep. I said it a few days ago, Jerry Jones is not as impulsive and knee jerk as people want to make him out to be.

McCarthy has a great resumé. 1 of just 7 current active coaches with a SB ring.
Most hated man in America.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 am
Yep. I said it a few days ago, Jerry Jones is not as impulsive and knee jerk as people want to make him out to be.

I agree keeping McCarthy is a great coach and Jones made the right decision to keep him. However, Jones gets the impulsive reputation for a couple of reasons:

1) The Chan Gailey and Wade Phillips firings. Both coaches had good resumes in Dallas...never a full losing season...but couldn't win a playoff game and got fired after pretty short stints. Phillips had an 11-5 year in 2009, got off to a bad start in 2010, and got canned for Jason Garrett. After that, people saw Jones as quick with the hook. The Glazers had the same reputation after canning Dungy and Gruden.

2) Some of Jones' quotes in the past doesn't exactly put faith into his coaches. For example, even with McCarthy's great year, he said before the playoffs that we'll see how things go. And with two great coaches out there with Belichick and Harbaugh, I think people thought that even though McCarthy is a great coach, that would be an upgrade. Obviously, if you look at resumes, Bill would have been, and Jerry did bring in Parcells before for his resume.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:00 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 am

I agree keeping McCarthy is a great coach and Jones made the right decision to keep him. However, Jones gets the impulsive reputation for a couple of reasons:

1) The Chan Gailey and Wade Phillips firings. Both coaches had good resumes in Dallas...never a full losing season...but couldn't win a playoff game and got fired after pretty short stints. Phillips had an 11-5 year in 2009, got off to a bad start in 2010, and got canned for Jason Garrett. After that, people saw Jones as quick with the hook. The Glazers had the same reputation after canning Dungy and Gruden.

2) Some of Jones' quotes in the past doesn't exactly put faith into his coaches. For example, even with McCarthy's great year, he said before the playoffs that we'll see how things go. And with two great coaches out there with Belichick and Harbaugh, I think people thought that even though McCarthy is a great coach, that would be an upgrade. Obviously, if you look at resumes, Bill would have been, and Jerry did bring in Parcells before for his resume.
So it took going to back 15 years to find evidence of an "impulsive reputation"...Nevermind that the team has had 2 coaches in the last 14 years, because he fired a HC after a 1-7 start 15 years ago that means he's "impulsive".

That would make the majority of owners in the NFL impulsive.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:55 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm haha oof

Didn't we see this story already?
Sadly, yes.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:25 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:00 am

So it took going to back 15 years to find evidence of an "impulsive reputation"...Nevermind that the team has had 2 coaches in the last 14 years, because he fired a HC after a 1-7 start 15 years ago that means he's "impulsive".

How many owners fire their head coach after two or three consecutive winning seasons? I can think of two...one of which resides here in town. Can you think of any others? As I said when you do that, that reputation carries with you, no matter how long ago it was.

Plus, if McCarthy was so safe, why didn't Jerry have to come out and wait til Wednesday of this week to say, "We're keeping our coach." Maybe the guy he really wanted said no? I don't know...just saying that's it a bit odd. And many in the media, including Adam Schefter whose sources are a lot better than yours, was on Dan Patrick this week and thought the Cowboys were making a change.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:01 pm

How many owners fire their head coach after two or three consecutive winning seasons? I can think of two...one of which resides here in town. Can you think of any others? As I said when you do that, that reputation carries with you, no matter how long ago it was.

Plus, if McCarthy was so safe, why didn't Jerry have to come out and wait til Wednesday of this week to say, "We're keeping our coach." Maybe the guy he really wanted said no? I don't know...just saying that's it a bit odd. And many in the media, including Adam Schefter whose sources are a lot better than yours, was on Dan Patrick this week and thought the Cowboys were making a change.
Yes, that's it. Move those goal posts right along.

Again, 15 years. Yet somehow Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy have been the only 2 HCs since 2010 and multiple winning seasons without a ring.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Who is moving all these sets of goal posts? Must be a ton of work.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:20 am
The Kansas City Chiefs are preparing for the possible retirement of head coach Andy Reid.

Via ProFootballTalk editor Mike Florio.
If true(almost certainly it isn't) then that will close the chapter on the Mahomes era of the NFL. Reid is what makes the Chiefs work.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:21 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:20 am
If true(almost certainly it isn't) then that will close the chapter on the Mahomes era of the NFL. Reid is what makes the Chiefs work.
Just like Belichick was made Tom Brady work.

Brady would be terrible outside of NE system, right?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:20 pm Who is moving all these sets of goal posts? Must be a ton of work.
It’s his famous words for saying “You are right. Let’s deflect the conversation.”
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:21 pm

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I will add that Reid has a history of consistently getting the most out of his QBs where as Belichick has only done so with Brady.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

On record. Are people saying Patrick Mahomes sucks without Andy Reid. Yes or no?
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:35 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I will add that Reid has a history of consistently getting the most out of his QBs where as Belichick has only done so with Brady.
Nobody called Reid a great head coach until he got Mahomes. He was known as a brilliant offensive mind who stunk in the playoffs. Great QBs lift coaches up. Both Reid and Bellichick are both all-time greats, but can't do what they've done without great QBs.

Mahomes, like Brady, will be fine. He's played this season with a bottom 3 skill position group and a below average pass-blocking offensive line, which includes a RT who telegraphs every pass play per multiple defensive ends.

Lugz just hates Mahomes, despite him already being a 1st round HOF lock, he thinks he stinks.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:38 pm On record. Are people saying Patrick Mahomes sucks without Andy Reid. Yes or no?
You don't remember Lugz saying Mahomes wouldn't be able to play in the 80s and was one of the worst QBs in the league if not for Reid?

"I just really hate that sponge-head" was the quote.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 pm

Yes, that's it. Move those goal posts right along.

Again, 15 years. Yet somehow Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy have been the only 2 HCs since 2010 and multiple winning seasons without a ring.
If we exclude rings won as a coordinator, then there's at least one more....
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:38 pm On record. Are people saying Patrick Mahomes sucks without Andy Reid. Yes or no?
You don't remember Lugz saying Mahomes wouldn't be able to play in the 80s and was one of the worst QBs in the league if not for Reid?

He hates how he runs too 🤣🤣🤣🤣
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Lugz was right about one thing... Mahomes would not have been able to play in the 80s. The way he plays, he would've gotten himself killed with 80s rules in place. And his receivers would've gotten mugged.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm

Lugz was right about one thing... Mahomes would not have been able to play in the 80s. The way he plays, he would've gotten himself killed with 80s rules in place. And his receivers would've gotten mugged.
No QB playing today would've survived.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:04 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm

No QB playing today would've survived.
A few might've survived. The best ones I can think of are Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, and Brock Purdy. Classic drop back QBs. However, they wouldn't be putting up the numbers they put up today. They'd need road graders on the O-Line and a big, hard RB/FB combination. Everyone would.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Reid hasn't retired yet, so this question is very premature.

That said, I think you'd have to be crazy to think that a team wouldn't get worse if they lost one of the best offensive minds and most successful head coaches in NFL history.

Would Mahomes suck if Reid retired? I wouldn't go that far. But I would expect him to fall into the mortal realm from the lofty heights he currently occupies, especially with his favorite target Kelce entering his age 35 season this fall. A top talent to be sure, but more in the top-five QB discussion instead of the undisputed number 1.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Sirianni isn't meeting with ownership for a exit interview for the season until today. Would that be odd if he is fired today or tomorrow? You're making way too much about timing