2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Snake »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:20 pm For present and future Seattle.

Chargers, easily for me.

They have the most important pieces in place, a division that is seemingly up for grabs with how KC has been, and great weather. Ownership doesn’t and taxes don’t seem to be great, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons.
Chargers have the QB. If Belichick can fix the defense, they could be a SB contender within 2 years.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Wherever Bill ends up, I am curious to see what kind of staff he builds. His coordinator hires were possibly more of a dumpster fire than his skills as a GM. Mac Jones looked decent under McDaniels, but then Bill brought in Patricia in what looked like a bugshit crazy hiring. Then, when it was predictably awful, he stuck with Patricia.

Aside from not having a QB, the Falcons job would be a pretty solid opportunity. There have some potentially elite talent there.

Lastly, what's the deal with Jerod Mayo? I've heard all the buzz about him being the next HC but I have absolutely no idea what he did in New England to warrant that sort of thing. I've not really followed New England much post Brady, outside of their offensive struggles and how Matt Patricia was to offensive coordinating what Matt Millen was to GMing. It looks like Mayo went directly from being ILB coach to head coach, that's one hell of a promotion
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 pm Seattle IMO 1-53 is better than every other team here. Right mixture of veterans and young players.

Chargers roster is old, beat up and expensive. They are $35mil over the salary cap.

Washington is intriguing but they are closer to rebuilding than competing.
Problem with Seattle is that a lot of coaches won’t want to hitch their wagon to Geno Smith and the Seahawks don’t have the cap space or draft spot/assets to go upgrade. It’s obviously a team that can win, theyve had consecutive winning seasons, I just don’t think it’s a job with a lot of upside and you could end up canned before getting a chance to replace Geno with your guy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 pm Seattle IMO 1-53 is better than every other team here. Right mixture of veterans and young players.

Chargers roster is old, beat up and expensive. They are $35mil over the salary cap.

Washington is intriguing but they are closer to rebuilding than competing.
Problem with Seattle is that a lot of coaches won’t want to hitch their wagon to Geno Smith and the Seahawks don’t have the cap space or draft spot/assets to go upgrade. It’s obviously a team that can win, theyve had consecutive winning seasons, I just don’t think it’s a job with a lot of upside and you could end up canned before getting a chance to replace Geno with your guy.
Geno Smith has 2 non-guaranteed years left on his deal and it's pretty cheap. As you stated, it's a team that can win. 18 wins over the last 2 seasons. That's better than every other job listed and that's with Geno Smith starting the majority of those games. In fact of all the QBs on these 7 teams, he has the most wins over the last 2 seasons.

So unless its yet another bad hire, which we've seen a lot of lately, the only chance a coach gets canned within 1-2 years is if he doesn't know what he's doing and there's a drop-off.

Furthermore, the Seahawks pick 16th. They can get a QB there if they'd like. They also have 6 other picks. They have draft capital to improve the roster. And as far as improving goes, the have the shortest road. Cap room is tight but they have 44 players under contract already and can cut or restructure some guys to get more space.

This job as it stands has the easiest road to becoming a contender by far.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

The more millennials and, especially Zs make up the entire player landscape, old head coaches will be looooong gone, imo.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Terry Tate wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:59 am Wherever Bill ends up, I am curious to see what kind of staff he builds. His coordinator hires were possibly more of a dumpster fire than his skills as a GM. Mac Jones looked decent under McDaniels, but then Bill brought in Patricia in what looked like a bugshit crazy hiring. Then, when it was predictably awful, he stuck with Patricia.

McDaniels might go to the Chargers with him. They have a lot of talent and he's short term. It may be the only situation which currently makes sense for BB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:53 am
Players done letting Davis run good HC out of town. Love to see it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Harbaugh >>>> Pierce
Snake

Post by Snake »

Harbaugh NFL record

2011: 13-3 - NFCC appearance
2012: 11-4-1 - super bowl appearance
2013: 12-4 - NFCC appearance
2014: 8-8

He's also built winners at three separate universities. Including a national champion.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:11 am Harbaugh NFL record

He's also built winners at three separate universities. Including a national champion.
Jim Harbaugh's winning percentage as a NFL head coach is the fifth best of all time at 69.5%, higher than any active NFL head coach, and is the highest of any living human being.

Dude can coach ball.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Makes you wonder what the Vikings were thinking when they reportedly passed on him when he wanted the job.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Exactly. I know a lot of people wouldn’t like it, and it would be perceived as unfair. But if the Buccaneers lose this game…I would fire Bowles in a millisecond hire Harbaugh if he wanted the job.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I think he'd opt for a team that's mostly in place already. I'd take him here as well since our team is talented already and should get better with more cap room. But teams like Washington, LAC, Vegas, who are probably closer to rebuilding than they are contending, proceed with caution. Harbaugh isn't the type who's gonna sit around rebuilding a roster.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:00 pm

Jim Harbaugh's winning percentage as a NFL head coach is the fifth best of all time at 69.5%, higher than any active NFL head coach, and is the highest of any living human being.

Dude can coach ball.
I really hope he takes the Chargers job. Would love to see what Herbert can do with competent coaching.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

My prediction: Jim Harbaugh flirted with the Chargers for a job but had a change of heart to stay at Michigan.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Chargers job is not nearly as appealing as it seems. That team likely never wins their division or even flirts with it. They are clearly the worst team in the division. They have the 2nd worst cap situation in football and their stars are either aging or injury prone.

Plus there's the elephant in the room. Justin Herbert is not the guy the media and people want him to be. The only thing he has in common with other top QBs is a huge contract.

I don't expect Harbaugh to hitch his NFL future to the 3rd best team in LA.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Also the Chargers owner is piece of shit

Remember Marty Schottenheimer? Spano fired him after he went 14-2
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ben Johnson reportedly is Commanders’ top choice
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:29 pm I think he'd opt for a team that's mostly in place already. I'd take him here as well since our team is talented already and should get better with more cap room. But teams like Washington, LAC, Vegas, who are probably closer to rebuilding than they are contending, proceed with caution. Harbaugh isn't the type who's gonna sit around rebuilding a roster.
He also loves a star quarterback.

Andrew Luck
JJ McCarthy
Colin Kaepernick (one year wonder)

i do not think Baker Mayfield stays if Harbaugh is hired.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

If the Glazers could hire Harbaugh and they chose to keep Bowles instead, the idiot brothers would be the star actors in Dumb and Dumber 3.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:47 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 am

Geno Smith has 2 non-guaranteed years left on his deal and it's pretty cheap. As you stated, it's a team that can win. 18 wins over the last 2 seasons. That's better than every other job listed and that's with Geno Smith starting the majority of those games. In fact of all the QBs on these 7 teams, he has the most wins over the last 2 seasons.

So unless its yet another bad hire, which we've seen a lot of lately, the only chance a coach gets canned within 1-2 years is if he doesn't know what he's doing and there's a drop-off.

Furthermore, the Seahawks pick 16th. They can get a QB there if they'd like. They also have 6 other picks. They have draft capital to improve the roster. And as far as improving goes, the have the shortest road. Cap room is tight but they have 44 players under contract already and can cut or restructure some guys to get more space.

Geno isn’t a albatross contract, but their ability to upgrade in the near future isnt great. They are unlikely to get a QB at 16 that will be a franchise guy (never know, but I wouldn’t bet on it) and they don’t have space to make moves. They do have a roster that can win, but not in a fashion that excites locals and scares opponents. They also don’t have the luxury of being in the NFC South. It’s a mediocre team with a mediocre QB.

I think it’s an okay job, but tbh anyone they hire is unlikely to get more out of it than Carroll did. If I was a leading HC candidate, I wouldn’t rule out Seattle but it wouldn’t be my top choice. Especially with Schneider still there as GM, the power over the roster would likely be minimal. Not saying it’s a bad option, but I don’t think it’s a great one.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:20 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:47 am

Geno isn’t a albatross contract, but their ability to upgrade in the near future isnt great. They are unlikely to get a QB at 16 that will be a franchise guy (never know, but I wouldn’t bet on it) and they don’t have space to make moves. They do have a roster that can win, but not in a fashion that excites locals and scares opponents. They also don’t have the luxury of being in the NFC South. It’s a mediocre team with a mediocre QB.

I think it’s an okay job, but tbh anyone they hire is unlikely to get more out of it than Carroll did. If I was a leading HC candidate, I wouldn’t rule out Seattle but it wouldn’t be my top choice. Especially with Schneider still there as GM, the power over the roster would likely be minimal. Not saying it’s a bad option, but I don’t think it’s a great one.
Oh Please! Why can't they get a good QB at 16 or in free agency?? You're trying to contrive a narrative that's extremely shortsighted and illogical.

That statement is true only if you don't know what you're doing. There are multiple ways and opportunities to upgrade your QB position. Also as this and every single year indicates, you don't have to have a top 15 pick to get a QB.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:42 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:20 pm

Oh Please! Why can't they get a good QB at 16 or in free agency?? You're trying to contrive a narrative that's extremely shortsighted and illogical.

That statement is true only if you don't know what you're doing. There are multiple ways and opportunities to upgrade your QB position. Also as this and every single year indicates, you don't have to have a top 15 pick to get a QB.
I mean, theoretically you could get a QB anywhere, they could end up with the next Brock Purdy with the last pick for all we know, but the odds of that aren’t great. I would rather have a top QB prospect, cap space and ability to shape the roster to how I want in Washington than take a job with an aging mediocre QB and a mediocre roster. Plus as I said, John Schneider will get the final say on roster decisions in Seattle rather than the coach. I would take the job over Tennessee, New England, Carolina and even Vegas but I don’t think it’s a destination to be excited about.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:42 pm

I mean, theoretically you could get a QB anywhere, they could end up with the next Brock Purdy with the last pick for all we know, but the odds of that aren’t great. I would rather have a top QB prospect, cap space and ability to shape the roster to how I want in Washington than take a job with an aging mediocre QB and a mediocre roster. Plus as I said, John Schneider will get the final say on roster decisions in Seattle rather than the coach. I would take the job over Tennessee, New England, Carolina and even Vegas but I don’t think it’s a destination to be excited about.
AKA you prefer the route where you have to do the least amount of work. Yea, most NFL teams don't have that luxury. And the options aren't just top 15 pick or Mr. Irrelevant. You could be like the Ravens, who have a 32nd overall pick. Or the Cowboys with a 4th round pick. Or the Chiefs who traded up.

Saying that a team has to have a top 15 pick to find a QB when they are paying people like scouts, coaches, personnel experts millions to make these decisions sounds like a major waste of money.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:07 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm

AKA you prefer the route where you have to do the least amount of work. Yea, most NFL teams don't have that luxury. And the options aren't just top 15 pick or Mr. Irrelevant. You could be like the Ravens, who have a 32nd overall pick. Or the Cowboys with a 4th round pick. Or the Chiefs who traded up.

Saying that a team has to have a top 15 pick to find a QB when they are paying people like scouts, coaches, personnel experts millions to make these decisions sounds like a major waste of money.
It’s not about wanting an “easy way”, it’s about wanting the best scenario possible for long term success. I take a shot at a blank slate with an elite QB prospect over what Seattle has every day of the week. Just because crazy things happen and people find franchise QBs in random spots doesn’t mean one should put their eggs in the basket of finding a random QB. It’s not that you can only find a QB with a top pick, it’s just better odds. Not to mention the cap space and flexibility to handle the roster your way in a place like Washington compared to Seattle.

Walking into a job with an existing GM that has the favor of the owners over me is just as much reason to prefer a different job as the QB situation anyways.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Steelers' Mike Tomlin will discuss his coaching future with his family during the offseason, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... lsr8gbtx05
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Tomlin? 👀
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sounds like he might want some time off? Would be released from his contract, if so.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:57 amTomlin? 👀
I thought you were #1 Fan of Todd Bowles?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I'm predicting Belichick to Philly after we smoke them Monday :D
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:07 am Didn't people want him because he coached Trask in college? Maybe they'll make a trade for Trask if he's hired, right?

It was mentioned. Eagles' fans want him gone.
Rooney Rule candidate. The guy was in charge of an underachieving high powered offense from just the year before. There's no way anyone thinks he's a serious candidate. Odds are, if the Bucs win tomorrow night, he'll be fired anyway. They won't need to ask for permission.