Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:08 am Build the team around him and Trask would let it be known how good he is.
What needs to be "built" around him?
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:46 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:08 am Build the team around him and Trask would let it be known how good he is.

Yes I think you might be able to answer that - please give it a shot.

I will say this, so much is riding on how much the brass thinks of our young o-line's future.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:52 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:46 am

I will say this, so much is riding on how much the brass thinks of our young o-line's future.
So better rotating guards.. we're not that far off from being an offensive juggernaut.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

This is like when people thought Freeman was a franchise QB after the 2010 season. Or like when people thought Winston was a franchise QB after making the pro bowl his rookie year.

People need to not be afraid to see what they see. Mayfield is a great backup, nothing more. There were 3 other teams who kicked him to the curb last year. There were another 28 teams last off season who felt he wasn't worth giving a chance to start. Yet, there's people who think that th3 team who was wrong about Freeman and then the guy who was wrong about Winston, finally got something right that everyone else had wrong?

Good thing some of you don't move to Springfield and have the last name Simpson, you'd cause mass confusion. LOL
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Noles1724 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:19 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:52 am

So better rotating guards.. we're not that far off from being an offensive juggernaut.
It's how you keep White fresh
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:48 am This is like when people thought Freeman was a franchise QB after the 2010 season. Or like when people thought Winston was a franchise QB after making the pro bowl his rookie year.

People need to not be afraid to see what they see. Mayfield is a great backup, nothing more. There were 3 other teams who kicked him to the curb last year. There were another 28 teams last off season who felt he wasn't worth giving a chance to start. Yet, there's people who think that th3 team who was wrong about Freeman and then the guy who was wrong about Winston, finally got something right that everyone else had wrong?

Good thing some of you don't move to Springfield and have the last name Simpson, you'd cause mass confusion. LOL
Baker is a ruined woman.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:52 am
CannonFire wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:48 am This is like when people thought Freeman was a franchise QB after the 2010 season. Or like when people thought Winston was a franchise QB after making the pro bowl his rookie year.

Baker is a ruined woman.
He's a perfectly good backup. Great even, but not a starter for a team who wants to compete for a championship. He's the kind of guy that the 90's Lions would throw out there. Pretenders, not contenders. I see no problem in giving him top backup money. We just need to go get a starter.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Curious, what would it take to change your mind? A playoff win?

Or is your mind made up and Baker is forever ruined for his time with Cleveland and Carolina?
Backside

Post by Backside »

No matter what happens from here, I have crow to eat on Baker. I want to wrap up the division and see how he and the team look in the playoffs before we really start to have the conversation. But I am very open to giving him mid level starting QB money on a two year deal or something. We won't get a top QB draft pick, I'd be fine drafting one to develop but they wouldn't be the starter next year. I think Baker has earned that.

If we wrap up the division vs the Saints, I hope we see Trask in a meaningless Panthers game in week 18.
Kress

Post by Kress »

People seem so stuck in an either/or. He's a good quarterback, apparently. He's no Mahomes, and he's no Gabbert, but he's proven himself solid. Just let him be him. We can win with him, and that's what matters.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:53 pm Curious, what would it take to change your mind? A playoff win?

Or is your mind made up and Baker is forever ruined for his time with Cleveland and Carolina?
I’d like to see a list of the guys anyone would even take over him right now? There might be 7-8? Then I’m sure a few would rather roll the dice on a college kid? So maybe there’s 10 QBs on the entire planet that could objectively be better options?

Small number. I hope he’s our guy and he signs with us. We re-sign Evans. Build it.

Barring something unforeseen in these last couple games and a playoff embarrassment I think you were very right.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:11 pm People seem so stuck in an either/or. He's a good quarterback, apparently. He's no Mahomes, and he's no Gabbert, but he's proven himself solid. Just let him be him. We can win with him, and that's what matters.
Mahomes is showing everyone you can’t do it all by yourself. Have to have good players around you to be successful.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:53 pm Curious, what would it take to change your mind? A playoff win?

I'm not on the camp that thinks Baker is a good backup or a top backup. I think he is a starting QB in the NFL and mid tier. The real question is, is Baker a franchise QB or a stopgap option?

Baker is young enough to have room for massive improvement and be a franchise QB, especially in the current era where it is rare to find QBs that play exceptional on-schedule 9 out of 10 snaps.

For me to consider him a "franchise QB" for the Bucs, he needs to close the season out strong (continue the current gameplay) and have a solid showing against a top tier team in the playoffs, even if it results in a loss. Dallas would qualify for that top tier team imo, especially because of their better than solid defense.

A Baker who plays with full confidence, pulling the trigger when his eyes tell him a WR is about to get open, is a solid QB that you can win a Superbowl with.

The guy that won Falcons game on a clutch final drive is actually a one year contract, draft a QB in 1st round type of stopgap option, because he played like dogshit until that point with his tentative tendencies, holding the team back and making his OC look bad. Hopefully we are done with that version of Baker and he's started to believe in himself.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Didn’t Baker get an injury early in that Atlanta game? Like, first drive? Then gutted it out to drive us for the game winning score.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:02 pm Didn’t Baker get an injury early in that Atlanta game? Like, first drive? Then gutted it out to drive us for the game winning score.
His hand was injured in the Lions game and thumb in the Titans game. Not sure what injury he had in the Falcons win
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:23 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:02 pm Didn’t Baker get an injury early in that Atlanta game? Like, first drive? Then gutted it out to drive us for the game winning score.
His hand was injured in the Lions game and thumb in the Titans game. Not sure what injury he had in the Falcons win
Think it was a knee/ankle. Track came in for two plays after a first down sneak.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That was the Colts game
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:29 pm That was the Colts game
Yup.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

You wanna sign Baker? Be my guest. Just don’t give much (any preferably) guaranteed $ beyond year one. Draft a qb early and throw the keys to the kid when, not if, BAker Bakers.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's a cynical take, but I'd take that plan.

Though I think he's looking at not of a Geno deal.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker isn't doing something unprecedented, for him. It's more or less a carbon copy season of his best season in Cleveland.

The question isn't "what" he's doing. It's "how" he's doing it.

Can we expect him to sustain this performance?

- given the personnel around him (both coaching and players)
- given the luck factor, the division, the circumstances surrounding him.

Can we expect this to become the norm for him, or is it a rare confluence of factors that led to him balling out again for whatever reason.

If I can only expect that performance every few years, he can walk. I don't pay a QB big money if they don't elevate my team. I can handle the team elevating my QB when they're dirt cheap. Not when they cost $30m.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Just read an article that put forward the chance that the Steelers might sign Baker Mayfield. Will Baker decide to test the free agent waters? Or will Baker sign an extension with the Bucs? Bakers' agent is probably advising Baker to test the free agent market.
Snake

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:47 pm Just read an article that put forward the chance that the Steelers might sign Baker Mayfield. Will Baker decide to test the free agent waters? Or will Baker sign an extension with the Bucs? Bakers' agent is probably advising Baker to test the free agent market.
I don't see what the upside is for Baker to go to Pittsburgh. He's gelling with this offense, the NFC South is horrible, Tampa is a pretty low stress market, the team should keep their weapons for the next couple years. The weather...

the money is the money.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm Baker isn't doing something unprecedented, for him. It's more or less a carbon copy season of his best season in Cleveland.

The question isn't "what" he's doing. It's "how" he's doing it.

Can we expect him to sustain this performance?

- given the personnel around him (both coaching and players)
- given the luck factor, the division, the circumstances surrounding him.

Can we expect this to become the norm for him, or is it a rare confluence of factors that led to him balling out again for whatever reason.

If I can only expect that performance every few years, he can walk. I don't pay a QB big money if they don't elevate my team. I can handle the team elevating my QB when they're dirt cheap. Not when they cost $30m.
The big difference in comparing those seasons is the Browns were 3rd in rushing. We’re 30th.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

If we exit in the first round of playoffs, will Baker be deserving of substantially more money than Geno? (30-35 mil instead of 25-30 mil)
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:19 pm If we exit in the first round of playoffs, will Baker be deserving of substantially more money than Geno? (30-35 mil instead of 25-30 mil)
I won't pretend to be naive enough to expect this to happen, but I hope Baker Mayfield's agent and Mike Evans' agent reasonably come together to make sure they're both here for the next three years. They've been too good together to part ways and one without the other doesn't make sense for the Bucs either.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

WTH? That should've never left your mind.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

None of these parties are foolish. I'm sure they understand all the angles. 3 more Baker years would do wonders for Evans final standings on the All Time lists. Add in their belief they can win a ring together. They know.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:04 pm
Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:19 pm If we exit in the first round of playoffs, will Baker be deserving of substantially more money than Geno? (30-35 mil instead of 25-30 mil)
I won't pretend to be naive enough to expect this to happen, but I hope Baker Mayfield's agent and Mike Evans' agent reasonably come together to make sure they're both here for the next three years. They've been too good together to part ways and one without the other doesn't make sense for the Bucs either.
Mike Evans has been good with everybody he played with. Check out his rookie season. Mikes success has fuckall to do with Baker, Brady, me, you, etc.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:17 pm

Mike Evans has been good with everybody he played with. Check out his rookie season. Mikes success has fuckall to do with Baker, Brady, me, you, etc.
Mike elevates QBs he plays with, not the other way around. He got 1000+ yards and 12 TDs with the combo of Josh McCown & Mike Glennon getting him the ball. All those great years with Jameis Winston. Baker isn't doing anything special for Mike that others haven't already done.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

While very true there's still a difference between 1006 yard 6 TD Mike and 1300 yard 13 TD Mike. If nothing to say that despite Mike having been great all year the offense has actually just started clicking. The fact that Mike Evans best season may still be ahead of him is incredible. But possible.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:17 pm

I'll put it a different way. If Baker is not the QB next year then who is? A rookie would be the only logical option. If it's a rookie then that's because these next two games are a disaster, in which case we probably shouldn't re-sign Baker anyway. AND, if it's a rookie then we're rebooting the whole damn thing and should be letting an aging WR go as well.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why? Why would we not want the rookie to have Mike Evans for his first three years? Evans just turn 30 this preseason. That's still a lot of prime juice in the tank.