The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:30 pm
Obsolete wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 pm When you have 2 qbs, you have 0 qbs.
Just out of curiosity, how many QBs do the 49ers have? Titans? The Packers? The Packers last year?
Zero
Jordan Love
Last year they had Aaron Rodgers
Most hated man in America.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

It’s not going to be a two QB rotation but when you don’t have a good QB, both guys are going to end up starting at some point during the season.
Snake

Post by Snake »

We have no reason to believe Jordan Love will amount to anything. Time will tell.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:40 pm We have no reason to believe Jordan Love will amount to anything. Time will tell.
We don't. But the Packers are moving forward with him and have put all their eggs in that basket.

You think Bowles/Licht have even thought of doing so with Trask?
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:30 pm
Obsolete wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 pm When you have 2 qbs, you have 0 qbs.
Just out of curiosity, how many QBs do the 49ers have? Titans? The Packers? The Packers last year?
The packers had 1 qb last season. Aaron Rodgers and now they have 1 in Love, the titans arent scaring anyone this upcoming season, the only example that works here are the 9rs but their whole roster is as good as it gets. However they got bounced in the playoffs due to qb play(yeah, he was injured but still they didnt have anyone else they were comfortable enough with to put in).

You seriously need to chill out and stop trying to go after anyone who isnt drinking the buccaneer flavored kool-aid.
Its ok to be optimistic but dont be upset when people have differing opinions. Its unrealistic to believe the bucs are going to be serious contenders this year and I'm not going to lie to myself and say that they are. I'm just not built that way.
Will I be rooting for them every week? You bet your sweet ass but I'm not going to be shocked if we finish below .500.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:46 pm
Snake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:40 pm We have no reason to believe Jordan Love will amount to anything. Time will tell.
We don't. But the Packers are moving forward with him and have put all their eggs in that basket.

You think Bowles/Licht have even thought of doing so with Trask?
We don't need to wonder about it. The Bucs had the opportunity to ride-or-die with Trask as the chosen one. We instead signed Baker and announced an open competition.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What was so triggering about my question? Anyway...

So the Packers had 1 QB last year... but they have 1 this year... but this one was on the roster last year. So they had 2? Or did Love somehow change from a 0 to a 1?

By this logic, we just need to cut one of Baker or Trask as we have 1 QB right?
Can we just demote one and make him go from a 1 to a 0, thus leaving us with just the 1?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:45 pm What was so triggering about my question? Anyway...

So the Packers had 1 QB last year... but they have 1 this year... but this one was on the roster last year. So they had 2? Or did Love somehow change from a 0 to a 1?

By this logic, we just need to cut one of Baker or Trask as we have 1 QB right?
Can we just demote one and make him go from a 1 to a 0, thus leaving us with just the 1?
Jordan Love was not threatening to supplant Aaron Rodgers on the depth chart while Rodgers was still in Green Bay. There was no competition. No debate. No question. Rodgers was the guy, good or bad. They traded Rodgers and have now made Love the guy.

Trask was here but as @Cheb pointed out we signed Baker and announced an open competition. That means if you have both Matt LeFleur & Todd Bowles in the same room today and you ask them both the same question: Who's your starting QB right now, Lafleur's answer will he "Jordan Love; Bowles' will be "Well idk today but we're having a competition to find out". Meaning Bowles doesn't have a starting QB.

Do you get it now?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We must watch different games. It seems some of you view the sport as a beauty pageant where the prettiest takes all. I view the sport more akin war, often times a battle of attrition, where the best team often does not win for a variety of reasons. You need hedges, contingencies, and fall backs.

I don't get what's so appealing about putting all your eggs in one basket. What makes just handing everything over to Richardson or Winston outright such a sexy concept?

What warrants hype for one QB who sat behind a GOAT for years before taking over and depression for another one?
30 draft spots? The fact that one team went balls deep no hedge? Both of those are nonsensical reasons detached from the game.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Fourteen 5th year options have been declined. Twelve picked up.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:10 pm Fourteen 5th year options have been declined. Twelve picked up.
What about the other two
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:17 pm Or am I not reading the room well and we're pretending there's going to be an actual "QB competition"?
If both of their jobs depend on this year, I don't see how they can put blinders on and not play whomever is looking better.

If my job depended on it, I'd play the janitor if he could win games
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That would be every coach every season.

You play who gives you the best chance to win the game. Even if it's sitting your $100M man for a 6th rounder. That's how you keep your job. Play to win the game.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:17 pm Or am I not reading the room well and we're pretending there's going to be an actual "QB competition"?
I think there will be a real QB competition. I do not think it will be handed to Baker. I could be wrong, but I do not think Baker was given "you are the starter" money.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some people prefer their sports with little conspiracy theories and political drama
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Gee, I wonder what happens if the d-line goes after one more than the other.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:55 pm Gee, I wonder what happens if the d-line goes after one more than the other.
We will see which one runs faster?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s ok to not be sure. We were sure who the QB was when it was Jameis.

We were lucky enough to be blessed with elite QB play the last couple years. We all knew this time was coming.

I don’t understand what fans were expecting?

I guess people just like to complain.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Maybe they've seen enough to know what everyone else already knows.

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I don't think it really matters who the QB is this year. Post Draft and FA roster, looking at our opponents, and I see our absolute maximum of 5 wins. Chances are we only finish with 2 or 3 wins.

The only goals for this season are to hopefully establish Wirfs as a permanent LT and see what our rookies can do. That's it.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:56 am I don't think it really matters who the QB is this year. Post Draft and FA roster, looking at our opponents, and I see our absolute maximum of 5 wins. Chances are we only finish with 2 or 3 wins.

The only goals for this season are to hopefully establish Wirfs as a permanent LT and see what our rookies can do. That's it.
If Wirfs doesnt look as good at LT will everyone in here talk about how he has regressed?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:56 am I don't think it really matters who the QB is this year. Post Draft and FA roster, looking at our opponents, and I see our absolute maximum of 5 wins. Chances are we only finish with 2 or 3 wins.

As QB for the Browns Baker had 6, 6, 11, and 6 wins in his 4 years respectively.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:14 am

If Wirfs doesnt look as good at LT will everyone in here talk about how he has regressed?
No they'll say it's the coaching staff's fault for moving a career RT to LT even though most banged the table for it to happen.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

If Trask exceeds expectations we have a potential long term answer at QB. If Baker exceeds expectations, we have a medium term answer at QB. If both suck, we are in the running for a QB in a very talented QB class.

We’re not in a bad spot as a franchise whatsoever.

Worst case scenario would be Baker winning the QB job and taking us to 7-9 wins. No playoffs. No answer at QB. Bad draft pick.

At least 7-9 wins with Trask would be a sign of promise, but still not necessarily ideal.

We need an extreme (good or bad) out of our QB this year
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

"If Trask exceeds expectations"

Do people not listen to themselves?? Why are expectations low for a 2nd round QB to begin with? Because everyone knows he sucks they just don't want to admit it.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:42 am "If Trask exceeds expectations"

Do people not listen to themselves?? Why are expectations low for a 2nd round QB to begin with? Because everyone knows he sucks they just don't want to admit it.
Expectations for a pocket passing 2nd round QB who has played a handful of snaps should obviously be low. There's a reason a QB drops to the 2nd. It does not mean there is not upside potential.

Derek Carr and Jimmy G were 2nd round picks and I would expect people to have the same level of expectations for them going into their first starts as they should for Trask. I don't like Jimmy G anymore, but at one point in both these careers both of these QBs exceeded 2nd round QB expectations.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm a suggestion maker
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am
Bootz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:42 am "If Trask exceeds expectations"

Expectations for a pocket passing 2nd round QB who has played a handful of snaps should obviously be low. There's a reason a QB drops to the 2nd. It does not mean there is not upside potential.

Derek Carr and Jimmy G were 2nd round picks and I would expect people to have the same level of expectations for them going into their first starts as they should for Trask. I don't like Jimmy G anymore, but at one point in both these careers both of these QBs exceeded 2nd round QB expectations.
And neither of them had to spend multiple years as the Emergency #3 QB. Go figure!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:31 am If Trask exceeds expectations we have a potential long term answer at QB. If Baker exceeds expectations, we have a medium term answer at QB. If both suck, we are in the running for a QB in a very talented QB class.

We’re not in a bad spot as a franchise whatsoever.

Worst case scenario would be Baker winning the QB job and taking us to 7-9 wins. No playoffs. No answer at QB. Bad draft pick.

At least 7-9 wins with Trask would be a sign of promise, but still not necessarily ideal.

We need an extreme (good or bad) out of our QB this year
I think it depends how we get to 7-9 wins if we do. There's a realistic chance Baker is franchised, or even extended, and we have this duo again in 2024. If this team wins 9 games I would expect Bowles and Licht keep their jobs.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Baker Mayfield franchised.......

It would truly be a Bucs Life.
alphabetsend

Post by alphabetsend »

A QB "competition" for a new signing is to allow the locker room time to get behind the new guy. This competition is to allow Mayfield to win over the locker room. The same reason there was a "competition" in Carolina last year with Mayfield vs. Darnold. It's about locker room respect and claiming leadership in the eyes of the veterans and established stars on a team. Because a new QB comes in as an unknown, this gives them a chance to prove they're a leader worth following.

Based on the article and Licht's comments, the third QB they're bringing in they want to be a player who will not risk competing for the job, is further evidence arguing for this. They want a real veteran (not a 6th year player who has started everywhere they've played like Mayfield) to help facilitate the QB room and potentially play as back-up if Trask really isn't up for it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Oh so that's why there are QB competitions in New Orleans between Carr & Winston. & In NY between Rodgers & Wilson. And and Vegas between Jimmy G & Stidham....To allow the new guy time for the locker room to get behind them.

Got it.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

After the Bucs start 2-5, will it be the QB's fault or will the blame go for the team as a whole?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:57 pm After the Bucs start 2-5, will it be the QB's fault or will the blame go for the team as a whole?
It'll be Bowles' fault.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:17 pm Baker Mayfield franchised.......

It would truly be a Bucs Life.
Or extended. Similar to what the Seahawks did with Geno Smith.