Stetson Bennett

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
13F11B

Stetson Bennett

Post by 13F11B »

Guy looks like a Drew Brees type player, but I have not seen many of his games. Interesting story. What thoughts does anyone else have on the guy?
Big Irv

Re: Stetson Bennett

Post by Big Irv »

He’s got a great name. My father had a Stetson and those things are awesome. Can’t speak to him as a player.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:09 pm Guy looks like a Drew Brees type player, but I have not seen many of his games. Interesting story. What thoughts does anyone else have on the guy?
Everyone with his level of success deserves a chance, but I don’t see him as a prospect, personally.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:15 pm
13F11B wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:09 pm Guy looks like a Drew Brees type player, but I have not seen many of his games. Interesting story. What thoughts does anyone else have on the guy?
Everyone with his level of success deserves a chance, but I don’t see him as a prospect, personally.
Yeah I agree, he’s not that good but gotta give him props for making the plays when he had to.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Phantom wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:51 am
Snake wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Yeah I agree, he’s not that good but gotta give him props for making the plays when he had to.
He's improved in leaps and bounds this year. Went from a game manager to someone who can actually play. Winning a Natty will do that to your psyche. But I agree, he's a late round developmental project at best.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I cannot understand why nobody hasnt named their kid Foghorn Leghorn yet.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Hey!

Leghorn Camarda
Dread

Post by Dread »

This is an insult to Drew Brees, sure Brees didn't have great arm strength later in his career but when he was coming out of Purdue he could absolutely sling it.

He's like 30yrs old already, kidding aside he's like 25yrs old.

He's a midget who lacks arm strength. There is no upside to his physical attributes.

Being a good game manager is very important to being a good QB. Bennett has shown to be a good caretaker of the offense.

But in the NFL you need a QB who can throw the 20yd out with enough zip on it so the CB can't close. He aint that guy and never will be.

Great story for sure, but not an NFL QB.

Won't even get drafted.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Dread wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:50 pm
This is an insult to Drew Brees, sure Brees didn't have great arm strength later in his career but when he was coming out of Purdue he could absolutely sling it.

He's like 30yrs old already, kidding aside he's like 25yrs old.

He's a midget who lacks arm strength. There is no upside to his physical attributes.

Being a good game manager is very important to being a good QB. Bennett has shown to be a good caretaker of the offense.

But in the NFL you need a QB who can throw the 20yd out with enough zip on it so the CB can't close. He aint that guy and never will be.

Great story for sure, but not an NFL QB.

Won't even get drafted.
I have done more reading on him and that seems to be the consensus.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

There's plenty to like. Stetson Bennett is a senior who slings a good ball, he's produced in big games, he wins a ton of games, and he has a surprising ability to make plays with his legs.

That said, the number of quarterbacks who have produced in the NFL who are under 6 feet or smaller is a very short one (no pun intended), and the majority of them had other elite traits. Elite speed (Kyler Murray), elite accuracy (Drew Brees), elite escapability (Russell Wilson), or were just all-around excellent players with no real holes in their game (Doug Flutie). Call it instinct, but Stetson doesn't pass the "elite in any category" sniff test, though an optimist may argue that his moxxy is top-tier.

Would I draft him in the fifth or sixth round? Sure; cheap quarterbacks are always a good investment and who knows maybe he'll surprise me. But would I expect him to become my starting quarterback? Barring catastrophe, no.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Cheb wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:04 pm There's plenty to like. Stetson Bennett is a senior who slings a good ball, he's produced in big games, he wins a ton of games, and he has a surprising ability to make plays with his legs.

That said, the number of quarterbacks who have produced in the NFL who are under 6 feet or smaller is a very short one (no pun intended), and the majority of them had other elite traits. Elite speed (Kyler Murray), elite accuracy (Drew Brees), elite escapability (Russell Wilson), or were just all-around excellent players with no real holes in their game (Doug Flutie). Call it instinct, but Stetson doesn't pass the "elite in any category" sniff test, though an optimist may argue that his moxxy is top-tier.

Would I draft him in the fifth or sixth round? Sure; cheap quarterbacks are always a good investment and who knows maybe he'll surprise me. But would I expect him to become my starting quarterback? Barring catastrophe, no.
Stetson sounds like Case Keenum or Jim Sorgi. Someone who will make a 15 year career out of being a backup.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

The Outsider wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:32 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:04 pm There's plenty to like. Stetson Bennett is a senior who slings a good ball, he's produced in big games, he wins a ton of games, and he has a surprising ability to make plays with his legs.

Stetson sounds like Case Keenum or Jim Sorgi. Someone who will make a 15 year career out of being a backup.
$4 - $5 million a year (after your first four), and you only have to play extensively in three games in August. After that, you pretty much carry a clipboard. Good work if you can get it.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Does anyone carry a clipboard? Just curious.

Anyway, I agree with all of the above. He's fantastic - in college and when surrounded by guys who will play on Sundays, as they are lined up against guys who won't. I've never been a big believer in the notion that "game manager" is a bad thing for a QB, because that's literally part of the job, but he doesn't seem to have much more than that, and there are other parts of the job.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Kress wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:24 pm Does anyone carry a clipboard? Just curious.

Anyway, I agree with all of the above. He's fantastic - in college and when surrounded by guys who will play on Sundays, as they are lined up against guys who won't. I've never been a big believer in the notion that "game manager" is a bad thing for a QB, because that's literally part of the job, but he doesn't seem to have much more than that, and there are other parts of the job.
These days, the clipboards are probably tablets. But the same concept.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:30 pm
Kress wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:24 pm Does anyone carry a clipboard? Just curious.

These days, the clipboards are probably tablets. But the same concept.

Smashable tablets. Apparently.