NFL '22 - Coachs Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: NFL '22 - Coachs Hot Seat

Post by Phantom »

At least 4 years? My effin ass
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:38 am Raiders coach can’t be comfy right? History of being bad and this slow start… watch out
Although I'll bet he knows how the Falcons coach feels. A roughing the passer penalty on a sack/strip/fumble cost him the game.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:10 am Would love Peyton but letting Bowles go early like that looks bad on our part. Gotta give Bowles at least 4 years.
At least 4 years?! If the team isn't producing well or developing why hold on that long? I mean that talk is a bit premature. We're 3-2 and leading the division. But there should be no minimum number of years for keeping around, no matter the circumstances.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:29 am
Central_Buc wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:10 am Would love Peyton but letting Bowles go early like that looks bad on our part. Gotta give Bowles at least 4 years.
At least 4 years?! If the team isn't producing well or developing why hold on that long? I mean that talk is a bit premature. We're 3-2 and leading the division. But there should be no minimum number of years for keeping around, no matter the circumstances.
And if it does? You're correct in the sense that when everyone leaves via FA or retirement they'll likely need a new coach coming in with a plan. It's too early to say Bowles can't be successful, hes a good defensive mind.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:39 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:29 am

And if it does? You're correct in the sense that when everyone leaves via FA or retirement they'll likely need a new coach coming in with a plan. It's too early to say Bowles can't be successful, hes a good defensive mind.
Lets face it, this team is all in for this year. We're capped out and will not be able to retain our stars moving forward. Godwin, Evans, Vea, Shaq, CDIII, all of them will be gone within the next two years.
MRM

Post by MRM »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:38 am Raiders coach can’t be comfy right? History of being bad and this slow start… watch out
Marc Davis is goofy. Who know what he'll do. Some may disagree with this. But I'm making a change after last night. Have a chance to tie the game with 4 minutes left and go for 2, miss it, and lose by 1. We see week after week a coach or two make dumb decisions all in the name of analytics. The beginning of analytics is anal and that's where these decisions come from.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

May as well give Bowles the four years. It'll take that long to get out of cap hell anyway. Why bring in another coach and then saddle them with this cap situation? And what good coach would take the job in the first place?

There are enough good players still here to be a playoff contender with an average QB.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am At least 4 years? My effin ass
There are some coaches that make better coordinators than Head Coaches. We all know Bowles failed with the Jets as HC. Id like to think he will take what he learned from there and apply things different here.

I agree with @Grahamburn to wait for a clean slate (cap wise, personnel wise) then go after a coach that has a plan in mind to rebuild.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That’s your opinion, man I’ll stick to mine
McFan

Post by McFan »

Kingsbury just got a seven year deal when they resigned Kyler Murray. The Bidwell's are notoriously cheap owners. He's safe for 4 years minimum as long as they are at least "average".
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Central_Buc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:24 am
Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am At least 4 years? My effin ass
There are some coaches that make better coordinators than Head Coaches. We all know Bowles failed with the Jets as HC. Id like to think he will take what he learned from there and apply things different here.

I agree with @Grahamburn to wait for a clean slate (cap wise, personnel wise) then go after a coach that has a plan in mind to rebuild.
The Jets front office is a dumpster fire though.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:05 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:24 am

Very true. I'd like to think of that job as the ultimate challenge.

The way they are playing this year so far maybe things are changing. Would like to see them do well.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Very true. I'd like to think of that job as the ultimate challenge.

The way they are playing this year so far maybe things are changing. Would like to see them do well.
Hey, don't jump up and try to destroy King Bryan's delusions.
Push the damned button already!
Dread

Post by Dread »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:56 pm May as well give Bowles the four years. It'll take that long to get out of cap hell anyway. Why bring in another coach and then saddle them with this cap situation? And what good coach would take the job in the first place?

There are enough good players still here to be a playoff contender with an average QB.
Fans overstate 'cap hell' while underestimating the ability/leeway that's built into the system for teams to manipulate the salary cap.

NFL teams are recruiting people out of Ivy league schools and giving them modern data analytic tools to run models of how to mitigate the restrictions of the salary cap in ways that we didn't see 5-10 years ago.

The Bucs have deferred alot of money to future years, but we can easily control the rate of which we feel that pain.

Some teams take choose to take their medicine all at once like the Patriots did after Brady left in that Cam Newton year, or like the Falcons are doing now.

Other teams like the Saints just continue to kick the can down the road.

With the cap growing year over year (outside of a pandemic) it makes sense to borrow from the future if you think about it. Especially if you feel like you have a roster that can make a run at the championship.

But if you have a roster in obvious transition it also makes sense to take your medicine all at once and balance the books.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

We have to "kick the can down the road" next offseason just to get the under the cap. We don't have any choice. There's not enough cuttable or tradeable money to get the books in the Black without using proration. Any layman can go to Over the Cap, pop open the calculator and fix our cap situation next year. Any GM worth their weight should be able to make next years cap deficit disappear.

The only question is, how much money do we kick? Do we just get to bare minimum for the cap and draft picks or do we go more extreme we there's money left over for FA spending.
Dread

Post by Dread »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:31 am We have to "kick the can down the road" next offseason just to get the under the cap. We don't have any choice. There's not enough cuttable or tradeable money to get the books in the Black without using proration. Any layman can go to Over the Cap, pop open the calculator and fix our cap situation next year. Any GM worth their weight should be able to make next years cap deficit disappear.

The only question is, how much money do we kick? Do we just get to bare minimum for the cap and draft picks or do we go more extreme we there's money left over for FA spending.
There is nothing stopping an NFL team from borrowing from future years until the end of time, or a new CBA restricts it.

Obviously the level to which the Bucs have done it the past 2 years is not sustainable over time, but the ability to prorate via 'dead years' and manipulate isn't going away so we can continue to maneuver as needed and control how much 'cap hell' we want to endure in any given season. Same way the Saints have done for the last 5 years.

I feel that when Brady retires we will likely be willing to accept a large dose of dead cap that following year as we transition away from Brady and other vets (Shaq, LVD, Gholston). But if Brady decides to come back (unlikely) then we'll see another of offseason of crazy cap manipulation by Greenberg.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Croc, add Brandon Staley to list, if the Chargers miss playoff again, I expect they make a run at Sean Payton.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Phantom wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:23 am Croc, add Brandon Staley to list, if the Chargers miss playoff again, I expect they make a run at Sean Payton.
Payton with the Chargers roster would be a problem for the league.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I believe Payton is waiting for the Cowboys job to open up
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:00 pm I believe Payton is waiting for the Cowboys job to open up
That’s the majority consensus. Chargers job might be more enticing. Lots to work with there.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Dread wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:31 am We have to "kick the can down the road" next offseason just to get the under the cap. We don't have any choice. There's not enough cuttable or tradeable money to get the books in the Black without using proration. Any layman can go to Over the Cap, pop open the calculator and fix our cap situation next year. Any GM worth their weight should be able to make next years cap deficit disappear.

There is nothing stopping an NFL team from borrowing from future years until the end of time, or a new CBA restricts it.

Obviously the level to which the Bucs have done it the past 2 years is not sustainable over time, but the ability to prorate via 'dead years' and manipulate isn't going away so we can continue to maneuver as needed and control how much 'cap hell' we want to endure in any given season. Same way the Saints have done for the last 5 years.

I feel that when Brady retires we will likely be willing to accept a large dose of dead cap that following year as we transition away from Brady and other vets (Shaq, LVD, Gholston). But if Brady decides to come back (unlikely) then we'll see another of offseason of crazy cap manipulation by Greenberg.
As soon as Brady is done, we should bite the bullet and do everything we can to hasten the rebuild. It seems about 95% that'll be in the next four months.

And like the last guy said, there isn't even enough to work with there either way. We're a projected $47 mil over with just the contracts on the books.

Very few of our contracts on the books beyond 2022 have easy outs this offseason. We can save $10 mil by cutting Donovan Smith, $10 mil by cutting or trading Shaq Mason, $3 mil by cutting Russell Gage, $3.5 mil by cutting Lenny, $2 mil for cutting Brate, almost $4 mil by cutting Succop...that's about it.

The only good news is, the only "We can't let him get away" free agent in Jamel Dean IMHO. LVD would be an emotional decision. Gholston would have to take a very team-friendly deal. Almost all the rest worth mentioning are over 30. It'd be nice to keep Mike Edwards and one of the younger depth linemen, but that's really it.

We're looking at 2 years of deep cap hurting. If we draft well during the next three years, we can probably become competitive again in 2025.

You know what the alternative looks like? New Orleans right now. They're still playing kick the can, but they lost a HOF QB and a HOF Coach, and now, while they still have most of their prime stars, their depth is poor and they're looking at 7-10 or 8-9.

Don't kick the can. Suck for two years. Find a true QBOTF in the next 3 drafts. Lock up the pups and clear cap space to build around them.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

Arizona looking at 2-4 right now.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Add Todd Bowles to the list. 3-3 with the GOAT.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:50 am
Dread wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm

As soon as Brady is done, we should bite the bullet and do everything we can to hasten the rebuild. It seems about 95% that'll be in the next four months.

And like the last guy said, there isn't even enough to work with there either way. We're a projected $47 mil over with just the contracts on the books.

Very few of our contracts on the books beyond 2022 have easy outs this offseason. We can save $10 mil by cutting Donovan Smith, $10 mil by cutting or trading Shaq Mason, $3 mil by cutting Russell Gage, $3.5 mil by cutting Lenny, $2 mil for cutting Brate, almost $4 mil by cutting Succop...that's about it.

The only good news is, the only "We can't let him get away" free agent in Jamel Dean IMHO. LVD would be an emotional decision. Gholston would have to take a very team-friendly deal. Almost all the rest worth mentioning are over 30. It'd be nice to keep Mike Edwards and one of the younger depth linemen, but that's really it.

We're looking at 2 years of deep cap hurting. If we draft well during the next three years, we can probably become competitive again in 2025.

You know what the alternative looks like? New Orleans right now. They're still playing kick the can, but they lost a HOF QB and a HOF Coach, and now, while they still have most of their prime stars, their depth is poor and they're looking at 7-10 or 8-9.

Don't kick the can. Suck for two years. Find a true QBOTF in the next 3 drafts. Lock up the pups and clear cap space to build around them.
Some uncomfortable trade discussions should be taking place as well.

Anyone that's 27 or 28 or older that's making big money needs to be shopped. They have no business being on a rebuilding team and we need the draft capital.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Snake wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:42 pm Arizona looking at 2-4 right now.
Kliff has been logged as Uncomfortable since the inception
Todd has entered the list
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Dalton has lost 11 straight prime time games.

Arizona has lost 8 straight home games.

Kingsbury’s seat could get hot tonight!
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 pm
Losing in the Big 12 with Patrick Mahomes?

Still one of the weirdest coaching hires ever. It's like Bidwell said, "We want our next coach to be young, handsome, have a goofy scheme that seems exciting to the Zoomers, and be friends with Sean McVay. The rest will sort itself out."

I will always be dubious of any scheme that requires the QB to be in shotgun in short yardage situations.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

It had to be purely the McVay association. Dude picks coaches about as well as QBs considering that contract they gave Murray.

I wouldn’t be surprised if when Kingsbury is fired Kyler is jettisoned by the new regime.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Capsaicin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:52 am It had to be purely the McVay association. Dude picks coaches about as well as QBs considering that contract they gave Murray.

I wouldn’t be surprised if when Kingsbury is fired Kyler is jettisoned by the new regime.
I dont know if last nights game helps the temp for KK .. I don't want to upgrade him until I see more. He's on the list. That said ... New Orleans is certainly the new dumpster fire, but you dont fire an "interim".
Snake

Post by Snake »

Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 am
Certainly appears to be a break in the marriage .. not a large KM fan, and this doesn't help matter (but KK may own some of the blame)
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

TB notches up two slots with the drumming in Charlotte
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Do it dom
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Todd Bowles is done. This team will not turn it around. The offense is regressing. The defense is still 3rd and first down. Fire Bowles now, trade Brady for a bag of peanuts and start planning for the next 12 years of suck.