NFL '22 - Coachs Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
nybf

Re: NFL '22 - Coachs Hot Seat

Post by nybf »

It's officially Head Coach Search Season

Snake

Post by Snake »

Gotta get that Rooney Rule outta the way asap
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Oh look! Yet another organization that apparently doesn't know about all the off field issues Bienemy has that disqualifies him from being a HC....
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Honestly, I'd rather give Bienemy a chance here in 2023 than have another year under Bowles. Listening to him speak, he at least seems to have some energy about himself that could be infectious in the locker room.
And of course he's had tons of time as Reid's understudy and could bring an actual modern offense to the Bucs.

Oh and we wouldn't have to deal with the annoying manufactured "meh black head coaches" issue by firing Bowles and replacing him with a white guy.
nybf

Post by nybf »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:26 pm Honestly, I'd rather give Bienemy a chance here in 2023 than have another year under Bowles.
:lol:

This might be my favorite lugz take.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Oh shit, is that doxxing?
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

nybf wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 pm Oh shit, is that doxxing?
You're gonna be sent to the gulag with MB where you 2 must fight to the death, winner earns freedom!
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 pm Oh look! Yet another organization that apparently doesn't know about all the off field issues Bienemy has that disqualifies him from being a HC....
Any theories as to why none of these organizations have hired him, when in the last five years we've 6 other black head coaches get hired, plus Steve Wilks twice (sorta?)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 pm Oh look! Yet another organization that apparently doesn't know about all the off field issues Bienemy has that disqualifies him from being a HC....
Any theories as to why none of these organizations have hired him, when in the last five years we've 6 other black head coaches get hired, plus Steve Wilks twice (sorta?)
Leads you to "wonder" why they interview him at all. Ya know, since those issues are so damning yet widely known..
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:05 am
MJW wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 am

Leads you to "wonder" why they interview him at all. Ya know, since those issues are so damning yet widely known..
I don't think it's the issues.

At some point, if a guy has interviewed with a dozen companies for the same job, and his resume is solid, occam's razor suggests something is happening in these interviews that is getting his resume thrown in the trash. I won't speculate. But they're getting him in the room, talking to him, and then deciding to hire someone else. Unless absolutely no black coaches were getting hired (we're averaging more than 1 a cycle, which is way too low, but it's not like it's not happening), the common denominator in all these interviews is Bienemy.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not really. The problem with guys in Eric's position is that despite Reid repeatedly putting out that Eric is calling the plays, the thought that Eric is just a frontman will always stick in GM's minds. GM's who are often have their own jobs at stake with their hiring, don't want to get hit with the "Dude, OBVIOUSLY Andry Reid was the brains there moron".
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:09 pm Not really. The problem with guys in Eric's position is that despite Reid repeatedly putting out that Eric is calling the plays, the thought that Eric is just a frontman will always stick in GM's minds. GM's who are often have their own jobs at stake with their hiring, don't want to get hit with the "Dude, OBVIOUSLY Andry Reid was the brains there moron".
Its very Interesting that GMs didn't have this in their minds when they decided to hire Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy as HCs.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:05 am

At some point, if a guy has interviewed with a dozen companies for the same job, and his resume is solid, occam's razor suggests something is happening in these interviews that is getting his resume thrown in the trash. I won't speculate. But they're getting him in the room, talking to him, and then deciding to hire someone else. Unless absolutely no black coaches were getting hired (we're averaging more than 1 a cycle, which is way too low, but it's not like it's not happening), the common denominator in all these interviews is Bienemy.
Dan Reeves on line 1.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Dennis Allen is remaining the HC of the Saints per their owner.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Please. Some team conduct an interview with Lefty. Please.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:16 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 am

Dan Reeves on line 1.
I don't understand this reference. Please explain.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:16 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:09 pm Not really. The problem with guys in Eric's position is that despite Reid repeatedly putting out that Eric is calling the plays, the thought that Eric is just a frontman will always stick in GM's minds. GM's who are often have their own jobs at stake with their hiring, don't want to get hit with the "Dude, OBVIOUSLY Andry Reid was the brains there moron".
Its very Interesting that GMs didn't have this in their minds when they decided to hire Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy as HCs.
Yeah, I don't agree with Doctor's point. Teams have no problem hiring OCs who don't call plays. It's become common.

In a league where black coaches get hired with regularity, Eric Bienemy getting in the door a dozen plus times and then leaving without a job leaves the obvious answer here as "What happens behind the door." Maybe it's unfair, in that Socratic Dialogues kind of, "A man who can talk about being a doctor well will be treated like a doctor before a skilled doctor who cannot" kinda way. But there are no better theories.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

In this very cycle, the top coordinator, arguably, is DeMeco Ryans. The second most desired college coach is David Shaw, and he'd be #1 if Michigan wasn't about to get NCAA screwed. Ejiro Evero, Aaron Glenn, and Jerod Mayo are all hot names scheduled for multiple interviews.

"Racism" is not an explanation for why Bienemy hasn't gotten a job. 7 black hires, 1 latino (2 if we didn't already count Flores as black), and a Muslim (not a race, but you get it) hired in the last 5 cycles. Still not enough, of course. But it's really tough to argue his skin color is why Bienemy hasn't gotten a job.

And the "doesn't call plays" thing...Bootz said it himself. Lotta guys with similar situations got hired.

Occam's razor, again, is that Bienemy is behaving in a way during these interviews that leads teams to believe he would not be successful as a head coach. Black coaches with shorter/less impressive resumes have been hired several times since Bienemy started interviewing.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:29 pm Dennis Allen is remaining the HC of the Saints per their owner.
Interesting. They're in a similar situation to us, just without a HOF quarterback to drag their mediocre coach to the playoffs by his face. I'm all for it.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Sean McVay announced he's returning in 2023. I'm very surprised. They are still allowing their assistants to go after other jobs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:57 pm Sean McVay announced he's returning in 2023. I'm very surprised. They are still allowing their assistants to go after other jobs.
Think they had to throw a bag at him?

The fact that he announced it suggested he was actually considering leaving huh?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:02 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:57 pm Sean McVay announced he's returning in 2023. I'm very surprised. They are still allowing their assistants to go after other jobs.

The fact that he announced it suggested he was actually considering leaving huh?
I think not only was he considering it, but IMO he had made up his mind and had either a last minute change of heart or like you said they threw a bag at him.

No way in hell you'd give your entire staff free reign to get another job elsewhere if you believe there's a chance your current HC is returning. It just wouldn't make sense.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:40 pm Please. Some team conduct an interview with Lefty. Please. And keep him there.
FIFY. You left part of the thought off the page.
Push the damned button already!
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:15 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:02 pm

I think not only was he considering it, but IMO he had made up his mind and had either a last minute change of heart or like you said they threw a bag at him.

No way in hell you'd give your entire staff free reign to get another job elsewhere if you believe there's a chance your current HC is returning. It just wouldn't make sense.
This. I don't believe he was playing an angle. This was his first truly shitty season as a head coach. The end of his "rock star" status in LA. And it happened right after climbing the mountain. Oh, and he can't even really look at free agency or the draft as easy paths to improving, nor do they have a ton of exciting young talent to build on.

I am 100% sure he strongly considered taking a year. Hell, he could take a year, re-enter the league next offseason (which figures to have many more job openings than this one, based on history), and go to a much better situation with hero status renewed.

All I can think is the Rams either spoke to his heart and love of football, or told him they were going to make his life as difficult as possible if/when he decided to come back later.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Why is he still lying?

Snake

Post by Snake »

“I love my wife of 25 years. I definitely wasn’t turned down by the hot 21 year old!”
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:58 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:35 pm

Yea...Gone...

Doubled down on what he said in December. He'll be coaching Michigan in 2023.
No back tracking this time Bootz, you said he is staying. When he leaves make sure to come eat some crow
Grilled or fried?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah.. Jim Harbaugh and Caleb Williams to Buccaneers in 2024! :roll:
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:43 pm
acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:58 pm

No back tracking this time Bootz, you said he is staying. When he leaves make sure to come eat some crow
Grilled or fried?
Has the season started yet?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:12 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:43 pm

Grilled or fried?
So you're calling Harbaugh & now the President of the University of Michigan liars, huh?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:38 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:12 pm

So you're calling Harbaugh & now the President of the University of Michigan liars, huh?
I’m saying there’s a non zero chance he leaves, yes.
Bootz… you’re a lil premature here, buddy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:13 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:38 pm

That's right. Keep showing us you're the liar we know you are.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:15 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:13 pm

How am I lying?
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:22 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:15 pm

How am I lying?
Just tune him out when he starts with the "lying" crap, that's pretty much what I do at this point

Doesn't understand the concept of "being wrong"
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:04 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 pm

Sure. Just like you'll eat crow whenever he announces that he's staying at Michigan for next season, right? Oh wait....He's done it twice now. You like yours fried, grilled or fresh?
Unlike you, I’m not too proud to admit when I’m wrong.
Sound familiar, kiddo?