Mike Evans Career Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Mike Evans Career Tracker

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:19 pm

2 great receivers who play a completely different game.
Nobody needs to tear down Davante Adams to hold up Mike Evans or vice versa.
Exactly and it would be weird to try and do so.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 pm
_MB_ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 pm
Nobody needs to tear down Davante Adams to hold up Mike Evans or vice versa.
I just take it as some well-meaning perspective.

Adams is one of the first guys named if you ask most fans who the best wideout in the league is. Evans is rarely very high on that list unless you're asking a Buccaneers fan or a fan who really knows his shit. In reality, there's very little Adams has accomplished individually that Evans hasn't. His statistical peaks have definitely been a bit higher. But when the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Evans ends up with the superior career.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:03 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 pm

Adams is one of the first guys named if you ask most fans who the best wideout in the league is. Evans is rarely very high on that list unless you're asking a Buccaneers fan or a fan who really knows his shit. In reality, there's very little Adams has accomplished individually that Evans hasn't. His statistical peaks have definitely been a bit higher. But when the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Evans ends up with the superior career.

In 2023 Mike will make history as the first Buc WR to do a decade.

Only thing that puts Adams in the conversation is catch % and QB stability.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:53 am

And talent.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

9 straight seasons with 1000+ yards receiving. 10425 total. #45 all time.

Averaged 17+ YPR during his last two seasons with Jameis/Fitz. 14.3 with Brady. Just found that curious.

81 touchdowns now. Good for 30th all-time.

In terms of what is achievable next season:

If ME13 scores 7 TDs next season, he jumps from 30th all time to 14th all time. Every player from 1-13 either is a HOFer or is a HOF lock. If he manages to tally 20 more career receiving TDs (seems low) he would be 8th all-time.

Another 1k season jumps him from 45th all time to 34th. Another 3k yards takes him to 17th.

Evans career is somewhat paradoxical. His year end totals end up being solid. Like a metronome. Year in, year out. But the week to week production certainly feels like it has extreme variance. 150 yards, 2 TDs. Or a ghost.

Anyways, the accolades aren’t really stacking up as he nears 30 y/o. 4 pro bowls as the decline phase looms. He needs another 1-2 of those and to keep this stat accumulation to give himself the best shot at the HOF.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Mike Evans is the best buccaneer ever.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Mark Allstats on line 1
Push the damned button already!
Snake

Post by Snake »

IronDog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:45 am Mark Allstats on line 1
I’m partial to Rhonde
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

If Brady is gone, and we suck (HIGHLY likely), any chance Mike says..."nah, I'm good" and either retires or requests a trade?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Evans has 800 more yards, 7 fewer TDs in essentially the same number of targets over the same number of years.

Evans had 3 seasons with Brady
Adams had 8 seasons with Rodgers

I’m not trying to tear down Adams to bring up Evans but I just don’t understand why Adams is basically recognized as the top dog in the NFL right now and Evans not even discussed. I honestly don’t think either are #1, hello Tyreek Hill, but to say there is such a gap between the two of Evans and Adams? Why?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:31 am 9 straight seasons with 1000+ yards receiving. 10425 total. #45 all time.

Averaged 17+ YPR during his last two seasons with Jameis/Fitz. 14.3 with Brady. Just found that curious.

81 touchdowns now. Good for 30th all-time.

In terms of what is achievable next season:

If ME13 scores 7 TDs next season, he jumps from 30th all time to 14th all time. Every player from 1-13 either is a HOFer or is a HOF lock. If he manages to tally 20 more career receiving TDs (seems low) he would be 8th all-time.

Another 1k season jumps him from 45th all time to 34th. Another 3k yards takes him to 17th.

Evans career is somewhat paradoxical. His year end totals end up being solid. Like a metronome. Year in, year out. But the week to week production certainly feels like it has extreme variance. 150 yards, 2 TDs. Or a ghost.

Anyways, the accolades aren’t really stacking up as he nears 30 y/o. 4 pro bowls as the decline phase looms. He needs another 1-2 of those and to keep this stat accumulation to give himself the best shot at the HOF.
Mike Evans also has a skill set that is more compatible with aging than Adams does. Evans relies much more on his size and strength advantage than he does on his speed. Once Adams starts to lose a little bit of that speed and quickness he'll be a shadow of himself.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

A competent OC could make a world of difference for this team. Get a better running scheme, be creative in play calling (especially 1st down), and adapt to what the defense is doing during the game. We will all know more in a month, followed by more clarity post-draft. Right now it is just wild speculation.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 am

Evans has 800 more yards, 7 fewer TDs in essentially the same number of targets over the same number of years.

I’m not trying to tear down Adams to bring up Evans but I just don’t understand why Adams is basically recognized as the top dog in the NFL right now and Evans not even discussed. I honestly don’t think either are #1, hello Tyreek Hill, but to say there is such a gap between the two of Evans and Adams? Why?
We should get this, as Bucs fans. And Snake said it earlier: it's just so feast or famine with ME. Either he absolutely dominates the game or he's a non-factor in the box score. When most think of a #1 receiver, they think of a guy who maybe has 2 or 3 games a season, at most, where he's quiet. WIth ME it's usually double that.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:20 am

We should get this, as Bucs fans. And Snake said it earlier: it's just so feast or famine with ME. Either he absolutely dominates the game or he's a non-factor in the box score. When most think of a #1 receiver, they think of a guy who maybe has 2 or 3 games a season, at most, where he's quiet. WIth ME it's usually double that.
That makes ME getting 1000+ yards a season that much more impressive. Though looking at Adams's numbers this year his big games were bigger, but he has several quiet games.
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:20 am

Our very own Falcons Julio Jones.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Every player with over 90 receiving TDs in in the HoF. Mike has 81. Has a good chance of eclipsing 90 next year. Has a pretty good chance of going over 100 for his career.

He's gonna make it into the hall.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Consider this… without Mike Evans, I don’t think Brady is a Buccaneer. Without Brady, likely no SuperBowl season. Mike Evans is a top 5 Buccaneer in my opinion and should be on our Mount Rushmore just because of what he represents in our modern era. Selmon, Sapp, Brooks and Evans… in no particular order.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:16 am Every player with over 90 receiving TDs in in the HoF. Mike has 81. Has a good chance of eclipsing 90 next year. Has a pretty good chance of going over 100 for his career.

That doesn't or shouldn't work going forward. I mean there's a long list of passing/receiving stats that "every play who has done X is in the HOF" that will be routine in this era. If that's the case, most WRs and QBs will be HoF from this generation. Matt Ryan is top 10 or even top 5 in many passing stats, but outside of 1 season he's been an average or even below average QB.

I do think ME has a very good shot at the HoF, but it does hurt him that outside of 1 year he's never been considered a top 4 WR...many writers, the people who vote, consistently leave him out of the top 10 annual rankings.

I think comparing ME to Ronde is a good comparison as how he's viewed outside of Tampa. They both have HoF numbers and both should eventually get in, but it's not the lock that Tampa fans think it should be.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:30 am
The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:16 am Every player with over 90 receiving TDs in in the HoF. Mike has 81. Has a good chance of eclipsing 90 next year. Has a pretty good chance of going over 100 for his career.

That doesn't or shouldn't work going forward. I mean there's a long list of passing/receiving stats that "every play who has done X is in the HOF" that will be routine in this era. If that's the case, most WRs and QBs will be HoF from this generation. Matt Ryan is top 10 or even top 5 in many passing stats, but outside of 1 season he's been an average or even below average QB.

I do think ME has a very good shot at the HoF, but it does hurt him that outside of 1 year he's never been considered a top 4 WR...many writers, the people who vote, consistently leave him out of the top 10 annual rankings.

I think comparing ME to Ronde is a good comparison as how he's viewed outside of Tampa. They both have HoF numbers and both should eventually get in, but it's not the lock that Tampa fans think it should be.
Hopefully that's something that changes as the old guard starts to die off. That's a purely subjective qualifier that shouldn't exist, since a large part of being recognized in the NFL is due to market or team success.

That aside I think he'll end up with the accolades to get in.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I agree. I personally think he will be first ballot too.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Big Irv wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:25 am Consider this… without Mike Evans, I don’t think Brady is a Buccaneer. Without Brady, likely no SuperBowl season. Mike Evans is a top 5 Buccaneer in my opinion and should be on our Mount Rushmore just because of what he represents in our modern era. Selmon, Sapp, Brooks and Evans… in no particular order.
Completely agree with this.

Evans is an all time great.

Most underrated Buccaneer of all time ABOVE David. And that speaks more to Evans than it’s a put down on David, because David is great.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I think Evans is underrated because he makes it look so easy and is quiet about it.

He can get up there for those showbiz one handed grabs, sure. But Evans doesn’t play a flashy game. He gets open. He catches balls. He’s not a Terrell Owens, OBJ “LOOK AT ME” type WR. He just takes care of business. A silent killer with a fire.

I love the guy, but I understand how his game doesn’t translate to the NFL commoner