In the first round of the 2023 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Grahamburn

Re: In the first round of the 2023 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:36 am Zach Evans is a good player. But I’m not taking him in the first round. Just seems like a bad idea given the state of the team.
Those are the first three picks in round order. He’d be the 3rd round pick.

Richardson should stay in school. If he advances as a passer he’ll be #1 in 2024.
mdb1958

Re: In the first round of the 2023 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Post by mdb1958 »

Just like in 2015 I say no to a 1st rd QB with or without Brady.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:14 am
Snake wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:36 am Zach Evans is a good player. But I’m not taking him in the first round. Just seems like a bad idea given the state of the team.

Richardson should stay in school. If he advances as a passer he’ll be #1 in 2024.
Richardson is going to be the most polarizing player in this class. I've read sources that see him as a Top Ten lock. Comps to Cam Newton and Josh Allen. Some who say he's going to be what Tim Tebow was supposed to be.

And others who think he might have to change positions because he's never going to have NFL accuracy (so, what Tim Tebow was.)

Personally, I wouldn't want my team to use any first rounder on him. But second round, without that pressure (and with a much safer pick in the bank already?) He's really interesting.

That said, if he throws well in shorts, some "QB Guru" who misses out at the top of the class will probably overdraft him.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:02 pm
MJW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:23 pm This is almost impossible, but I'll throw out a name:

Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon. 6'3 250 and moves like a guy 20 pounds lighter. Can blitz, can cover.

Nephi, the other other brother, is legit too! Played LB for Utah and Saints picked him up as an UDFA.
Nephi is on Saints active roster.

Those Samoans can ball.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:13 am
Snake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Nephi, the other other brother, is legit too! Played LB for Utah and Saints picked him up as an UDFA.
Nephi is on Saints active roster.

Those Samoans can ball.
Fun Fact: A boy born to Samoan parents in America is 56x more likely to play in the NFL than any other boy born in America.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:25 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:14 am

Richardson is going to be the most polarizing player in this class. I've read sources that see him as a Top Ten lock. Comps to Cam Newton and Josh Allen. Some who say he's going to be what Tim Tebow was supposed to be.

And others who think he might have to change positions because he's never going to have NFL accuracy (so, what Tim Tebow was.)

Personally, I wouldn't want my team to use any first rounder on him. But second round, without that pressure (and with a much safer pick in the bank already?) He's really interesting.

That said, if he throws well in shorts, some "QB Guru" who misses out at the top of the class will probably overdraft him.
I don’t think he can be “overdrafted.” If he’s Josh Allen or Cam Newton he should be the #1 pick.

If his accuracy doesn’t get better than 53% in the NFL he’s borderline useless as a QB and therefore a complete bust no matter where he’s picked.

And, I agree that he’ll likely be taken by someone who thinks they can turn him into a 60%+ passer. If he’s that he’s an absolute weapon.

If I were one of these teams with multiple firsts I’d be all over him. Houston, for example. Take Anderson #1 overall and then use your other first on Richardson and let him sit for a year.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

How about Frank Gore Jr?! Epic game!!
Nano

Post by Nano »

Looking at Tankathon, our 3-round mock is...

19. Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida (As a Gators fan, just no. Stop)
51. Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland (I mean, why not. Get rid of Donovan Smith finally)
83. Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA (Let Licht have his yearly useless RB in the 3rd round)
Snake

Post by Snake »

@King Bootz asked me where I would take Jayden Daniels. If I would take him in the first, or wait for the second round. I didn’t answer because I didn’t have an answer. I do now. I would take him in the first round if I identified him as THE guy (passes the draft process, etc.)

I’m watching this league. I see athletic quarterbacks killing it everywhere.

I’m betting on athleticism. Escapability, the ability to generate looks on the move. This is the league now. Tom Brady loses interior protectors and now he looks like shit.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:22 pm @King Bootz asked me where I would take Jayden Daniels. If I would take him in the first, or wait for the second round. I didn’t answer because I didn’t have an answer. I do now. I would take him in the first round if I identified him as THE guy (passes the draft process, etc.)

I’m betting on athleticism. Escapability, the ability to generate looks on the move. This is the league now. Tom Brady loses interior protectors and now he looks like shit.
I'd argue that athleticism is a must for QBs in today's NFL. The league moves quickly. Statues use to be able to get it done 2-3 years ago. They can't anymore.

I don't know much about Daniels game but I do like that he has experience. He's someone we likely will keep an eye on.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:28 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:22 pm @King Bootz asked me where I would take Jayden Daniels. If I would take him in the first, or wait for the second round. I didn’t answer because I didn’t have an answer. I do now. I would take him in the first round if I identified him as THE guy (passes the draft process, etc.)

I'd argue that athleticism is a must for QBs in today's NFL. The league moves quickly. Statues use to be able to get it done 2-3 years ago. They can't anymore.

I don't know much about Daniels game but I do like that he has experience. He's someone we likely will keep an eye on.
There are very few NFL QBs - at least, designated starters - who can't move a little. Better than 95% of the QBs I grew up with, anyway. The statue QB has gone the way of the safety who can only hit, or the 270 lbs inside linebacker. Those guys pop up on occasion but they're rarities.

This is why I have some curiosity about Tanner McKee, actually. There's a lot to like about his game, but he makes Mike Glennon look like Mike Vick. I'm interested to see where he goes.
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Anthony Richardson does have some Josh Allen type college stats so far. If we get rid of the clowns and bring in an offensive minded coach that's worked with similar QBs then I could be intrigued by us taking a shot.

Maybe Ken Dorsey? Or the Eagles OC?

But drafting Richardson with Bowles standing there with his thousand yard stare and Leftwich clicking Random Play from Madden playbooks is a recipe for disaster.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:46 am Anthony Richardson does have some Josh Allen type college stats so far. If we get rid of the clowns and bring in an offensive minded coach that's worked with similar QBs then I could be intrigued by us taking a shot.

Maybe Ken Dorsey? Or the Eagles OC?

But drafting Richardson with Bowles standing there with his thousand yard stare and Leftwich clicking Random Play from Madden playbooks is a recipe for disaster.
There's no evidence Leftwich has any interest in a mobile QB, if we assume the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Drafting Trask doesn't seem like a move by a guy itching to install the zone read.

I don't think they'll draft a QB, which is totally fine with me. But if they do, it'll be someone like Tanner McKee, who would lose a footrace to Lieutenant Dan.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If it were Richardson as a late 2nd or Snakes guy late in the draft, I'd go with Daniels. Much easier to process him as a stop gap/gimmick if needed.
I actually wonder if Richardson could switch positions.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If someone is pointing a gun to my head and tells me to pick Richardson and Snake’s Guy

Richardson>Daniels. They both sucks anyway

I honestly believe the Bucs will draft someone like Caleb Williams in 2024 drsft
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:03 pm If someone is pointing a gun to my head and tells me to pick Richardson and Snake’s Guy

I honestly believe the Bucs will draft someone like Caleb Williams in 2024 drsft
You may not be wrong there. I’m gonna take a look at Richardson tonight.

This quarterback draft seems pretty weak
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:19 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:03 pm If someone is pointing a gun to my head and tells me to pick Richardson and Snake’s Guy

Which is why we'll take one this year, then bypass the mother lode for a safety and two kickers next year.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Most mock has Richardson projected top 4 to the Lions... Big mistake..

here's good one

MJW

Post by MJW »

Prediction: Richardson goes in the top 15 to either the Raiders or Panthers.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Anthony Richardson is wildly inconsistent as a passer, and for that reason I don't like him as a prospect. Yes, sometimes he'll flash a rare 1% throw which will blow your socks off, but those aren't commonly seen, maybe one a game? And when you balance those rare flashes of brilliance against his troubling inaccuracy, particularly on short and medium depth routes, I just don't think it's worth it. It's Winstonesque, but Winston routinely made more of those Wow throws. To his credit, I think Richardson doesn't put the ball at risk near as much as Winston does.

Here's two of his game from this year, versus Tennessee and Florida State. Feel free to form your own opinions, but mine doesn't scream first round quarterback.

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Is Anthony Richardson just this years Malik Willis?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:37 pm Is Anthony Richardson just this years Malik Willis?
What does that even mean?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

acmillis wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:55 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:37 pm Is Anthony Richardson just this years Malik Willis?
What does that even mean?

Should be obvious. Mobile QB with a canon arm but questionable decision making and subpar accuracy. And we see how poorly Willis has performed in the league so far.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Richardson is a better prospect, flat out. Fun factoid - of the quarterbacks drafted in 2022, Willis had, by far, the worst completion % from a clean pocket. In fact if memory serves it was one of the worst in the country. He's also significantly smaller (3 inches and 30 lbs) than Richardson. But with a guy like that, you're looking for traits. Willis can do some things physically you can build on. Richardson does more of those things, and is a better pure passer.

Richardson needs the right situation. That's the biggest thing. You look at guys who were better athletes than quarterbacks coming into the league, the ones who worked out almost always had great QB coaches who incorporated their skills. Donovan McNabb had Andy Reid. Daunte Culpepper had Dennis Green. Steve Young had Bill Walsh.

If Richardson ends up somewhere like the Giants with Brian Daboll, he could be very, very good. If he ends up somewhere like Washington, he'll probably end up getting moved to tight end.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Please don't write a sell the farm letter to Licht!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:02 pm

Which is why we'll take one this year, then bypass the mother lode for a safety and two kickers next year.
Arians, Licht, Leftwich, and Bowles should all have to watch Trask play us into a top 5 pick and then get fired.

Like, here you go. We had Tom Brady and a chance to repeat and you spent a 2nd on this kid. Now, endure it, morons.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Definitely should invest heavily in the offence. In the first I like Addison, Evans is getting older and Addison would add speed and route running- basically a young AB type. Round 2 I’d look for a RT, someone who can start and be solid and allow Wirfs to replace Smith. 3rd Charbonnet would be a nice Lenny replacement.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Random Thoughts.

1) Don't reach for a quarterback. Please. Now is absolutely not the time.

2) Build the lines whenever reaching won't be required.

3) Don't draft for 2023. Even if one would be inclined to draft for "next year," nothing we do in this draft is going to keep us competitive short term.

4) Don't (ever) play the, "We have a guy under contract at that position for 3 more years!" game. You never win. Turnover, scheme change, and injury change everything frequently. Draft talented players who fit your philosophy. There are literally a thousand examples of teams passing on clearly superior players because they were "set" at a position only to look like assholes within the next 18 months.

5) That said, don't draft a running back until Day Three, if at all. Just don't. We can litigate the topic again some other time.

6) If we do draft a receiver high, it needs to be someone with a 5th gear and/or true RAC ability. This is a slowest, plodding-est Bucs offense I can remember since our shitty OC was our shitty QB hucking balls to Sammie Fucking Stroughter. We haven't had a guy who could "steal" big plays from good defenses since AB wandered off the field.

7) This is the flipside to #4 - don't draft a guy because you need to fill a hole on the current roster. It never works out. Having a mediocre Day Two pick manning a spot instead of a mediocre veteran doesn't make you better. As my dad liked to say, "flush $100 down your toilet and see if it's worth more."
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@MJW

Give me your value picks for #6. Not a high pick.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:44 am Random Thoughts.

1) Don't reach for a quarterback. Please. Now is absolutely not the time.

2) Build the lines whenever reaching won't be required.

3) Don't draft for 2023. Even if one would be inclined to draft for "next year," nothing we do in this draft is going to keep us competitive short term.

4) Don't (ever) play the, "We have a guy under contract at that position for 3 more years!" game. You never win. Turnover, scheme change, and injury change everything frequently. Draft talented players who fit your philosophy. There are literally a thousand examples of teams passing on clearly superior players because they were "set" at a position only to look like assholes within the next 18 months.

5) That said, don't draft a running back until Day Three, if at all. Just don't. We can litigate the topic again some other time.

6) If we do draft a receiver high, it needs to be someone with a 5th gear and/or true RAC ability. This is a slowest, plodding-est Bucs offense I can remember since our shitty OC was our shitty QB hucking balls to Sammie Fucking Stroughter. We haven't had a guy who could "steal" big plays from good defenses since AB wandered off the field.

7) This is the flipside to #4 - don't draft a guy because you need to fill a hole on the current roster. It never works out. Having a mediocre Day Two pick manning a spot instead of a mediocre veteran doesn't make you better. As my dad liked to say, "flush $100 down your toilet and see if it's worth more."
I want to trade Evans and some of our defensive pieces so we can throw all our assets towards the offense for 2024 and beyond. We need to be MUCH faster, younger, and cheaper on the offense literally at every position group. We need deep speed, short area quickness, shiftiness, separators, damn near everything to do with speed we need in droves.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I would absolutely love to add Kelee Ringo. The WR class looks great too.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If Bijan is there....
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:10 pm If Bijan is there....
We'd be insane to take him? Utterly bugfuck crazy?
Let's roll another joint
Nano

Post by Nano »

Post week-17 Tankathon

21. Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
52. Tanner McKee, QB, Stanford
83. Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Three guys I am looking at for our first round pick in no particular order:

- Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State. Big dude, plays nasty, but doesn't play with consistent extension with his arms. That can be taught and repped. He will likely be overdrafted because of lack of talent at tackle; dude might be the number two or three guy in the class, not sure if he'd last to our pick. He has great upside, but his rawness could make for some agonizing snaps as a rookie against professional talent.
- Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon. He's fast, he's sticky in coverage, he can play multiple techniques, great tackler, improving ball skills. The only thing he doesn't have is elite speed, but his speed seems good enough. Looks like a future starting corner to me. He's also only a sophomore, so he's still probably got plenty of room for growth. He would do well to replace Dean and SMB next season, because we can't keep both and Zyon looks more than a bit lost.
- Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan. Akiem Hicks is going to be paid nearly $5 million dollars by the Bucs next season to sit on his couch. Vea needs a friend in the middle, a powerful run-stuffer who can do the dirty work between the B gaps and not give up ground. Nacho is great and all, but he is not under contract (has signed three straight one-year contracts with us) and will be 30 when next season starts. The only other DT under contract is Logan Hall, who is not a run stuffers and had a very bad rookie campaign in general. Mazi has excellent physical traits and will probably blow up the combine, but he is short and has all the finesse of a dump truck. Think a more athletic Kelly Gregg, which I mean as a high compliment.