Welcome Ko Kieft!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Welcome Ko Kieft!

Post by MJW »

Big...Big blocking tight end. 6'5 265. Caught 7 passes last year. I love it.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Re: Welcome Ko Kieft!

Post by King Bootz »

We had to trade up to get a blocking TE with 12 career catches? Great.

Oh BTW, he's older than Devin White.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:26 pm We had to trade up to get a blocking TE with 12 career catches? Great.

Yeah, I don't get the trade up. But whatever.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Love this write up. 4.95 40 @ 259 pounds. "I'm surprised he was drafted". We traded up in the 6th for him. Love it!

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

The trade up seems silly but there is no real need for three 7th rounders either. I would have preferred OL/DL depth but we are at a point in the draft where guys we are considering are marginally better than UDFAs at best.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:35 pm The trade up seems silly but there is no real need for three 7th rounders either. I would have preferred OL/DL depth but we are at a point in the draft where guys we are considering are marginally better than UDFAs at best.
It's safe to assume OBP has a specific role in mind and thinks he's an excellent fit for it. And that they did not see both of those conditions being met with those 7th round picks.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Goofy looking ginger? Check
Angry run blocker? Check
Minnesota Gopher? Check.

Licht couldn't help himself.

In all seriousness, if he can offer plus snaps as a run blocker, I'm all for it.

Here's some highlights of the Gophers running for 300+ yards against Maryland. Look for #42; that's our guy.

Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Anytime you can add an old, unathletic, undersized guard, you have to do it and you definitely have to trade up to do it.
Nano

Post by Nano »

This is not a real person
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Is that supposed to be good tape?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:37 pm Is that supposed to be good tape?
I wouldn't say it was perfect, but he was making a ton of key blocks to spring big runs.

Look on the bright side.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:26 pm We had to trade up to get a blocking TE with 12 career catches? Great.

Yeah, I don't get the trade up. But whatever.
Licht the Lush is tanking his job.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:17 pm
That suggests they'll make some kind of fullback gadget out of him.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Naismith wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:29 pm Anytime you can add an old, unathletic, undersized guard, you have to do it and you definitely have to trade up to do it.
I detect slight irony in this post.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:53 pm
Naismith wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:29 pm Anytime you can add an old, unathletic, undersized guard, you have to do it and you definitely have to trade up to do it.
That would be sarcasm, my young padawn.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

The Outsider wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:36 pm
Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:53 pm

That would be sarcasm, my young padawn.
Irony is sarcasm in a tux.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can this guy speak German?
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:19 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:17 pm
That suggests they'll make some kind of fullback gadget out of him.
I've always hated that Arians never employed a guy like this. Sometimes, it's fun to watch your back (especially a physical back like Lenny) run behind a goddamn juggernaut. I still love watch old clips of the "Rhino Backfield" with Alstott running behind Lo Neal in 1998.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm thinking pass blocking myself.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:40 pm I'm thinking pass blocking myself.
You ain't wrong.

We've been using a lot of 6th lineman looks in recent years - more than I've ever seen here. Now we have a guy who blocks like a guard but, compared to a guard, can actually leak out and catch a pass reasonably well.

No, I don't understand the tradeup. I don't. But it says to me that OBP has some real plans for this kid. And that's exciting for me.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Gage, Lenny, Vaughn, Bernard, the new guy, they all could be involved.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

For Kieft to even make it to game day, 1 of 3 things have to be the case. 1: Gronk isn't re-signed. 2: Gronk is re-signed & Brate or Otton are released. 3: Gronk, Brate, or Otton are injured.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:59 pm For Kieft to even make it to game day, 1 of 3 things have to be the case. 1: Gronk isn't re-signed. 2: Gronk is re-signed & Brate or Otton are released. 3: Gronk, Brate, or Otton are injured.
Worst case they stash him on the practice squad until they can figure out the thing they drafted him for.

Sounds to me like they want to use him for a wrinkle in the offense. That's why I said it sounds like some fullback lead blocker kind of shit.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:08 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:59 pm For Kieft to even make it to game day, 1 of 3 things have to be the case. 1: Gronk isn't re-signed. 2: Gronk is re-signed & Brate or Otton are released. 3: Gronk, Brate, or Otton are injured.
Worst case they stash him on the practice squad until they can figure out the thing they drafted him for.

Sounds to me like they want to use him for a wrinkle in the offense. That's why I said it sounds like some fullback lead blocker kind of shit.
Maybe. More realistically if he makes the roster and is active on game day seems like a guy who's going to be a ST contributor.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Here's a little something I watched on the treadmill this morning:

Look for our boy in black, #42. Consistently good run blocking against top competition; most explosive runs were right behind him.

I am liking this late round pick more and more. All aboard the Kieftwagon.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm
_MB_ wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:08 pm

Maybe. More realistically if he makes the roster and is active on game day seems like a guy who's going to be a ST contributor.
He seems like a "I will run through a brick wall" kind of guy. His destiny is out of his hands at the moment.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

H-Back. Fullback. TE. Jumbo. Goal line. Max protect.

Honestly feel like the front office went into this thing with a pretty specific plan.

This kid has nothing to do with Gronk signing or not signing.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Let me get this straight:

We drafted a guy with a unique skill-set, one that we didn't have on the roster.

Our reason for doing so is because we don't want to play him and utilize that unique skill set.

He's just here in case one of those other guys, the ones who have totally different skill-sets than his, get hurt. At which point, we're going to use him to replace them in the offense. Even though he doesn't do any of the things they do well.

Are you high?
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:41 pm

We drafted a guy with a unique skill-set, one that we didn't have on the roster.

Our reason for doing so is because we don't want to play him and utilize that unique skill set.

He's just here in case one of those other guys, the ones who have totally different skill-sets than his, get hurt. At which point, we're going to use him to replace them in the offense. Even though he doesn't do any of the things they do well.

Are you high?
We'll circle back to this thread and particularly this post once the season actually gets here in September.

It's very easy and costs nothing as far as credibility is concerned to say a 6th round rookie with limited potential is going to be a key part of the offense. Everyone is drafted for a reason.

It makes me wonder why we don't see more rookies contributing. Oh and his "unique skills set", I'd hope we had more than 1 guy on this roster that can block.

And even still, your post here makes the one you quoted no less true. Maybe you can tell me where the swap will come. Will there be 4 TEs active on game day? 1 less WR, RB, or OL?

But again, we'll circle back to this one in September.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:46 pm
MJW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:41 pm

Are you high?
We'll circle back to this thread and particularly this post once the season actually gets here in September.

It's very easy and costs nothing as far as credibility is concerned to say a 6th round rookie with limited potential is going to be a key part of the offense. Everyone is drafted for a reason.

It makes me wonder why we don't see more rookies contributing. Oh and his "unique skills set", I'd hope we had more than 1 guy on this roster that can block.

But again, we'll circle back to this one in September.
I'm not going to the mat for this kid. I've never seen him play.

I do know that his scouting report says he's a boffo blocker, and that he caught 12 passes in 4 years, and we traded up to get him.

The only logical conclusion from all that is, "We wanted to add a tight end/fullback specifically as a blocker." He's not here to slot in for Gronk or Brate or Otton or McElroy, all of whom (exempting Gronk, who does everything well) are pass catchers first. He's here to be a blocker.

If he shows himself to be as good a blocker as advertised, he will absolutely be active on gamedays. If not, he'll probably be cut. But one thing I'm sure of is, he's not here "in case" someone else gets hurt. We're not talking about, like, Tanner Hudson, who was a poor man's Brate. He's a nobody's poor man on this roster, because he's the only guy who (potentially) excels at doing the thing he was drafted to do. S'all.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why not put another OL on the field if the guy is a total non-threat in the passing game?

He's also taking those every-other-game reps that Vea would take at FB/TE, right? is that worth committing another roster spot to?
Last edited by Snake on Sun May 01, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:57 pm Why not just put another OL on the field?
A few reasons -

- You don't have to "report him," which means it might be a little easier to sneak him out on block and release plays without the defense already looking for it.
- Even if he's a garbage truck of a tight end, he's still faster/quicker/more agile than most linemen, and with better hands.
- Special teams.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:00 pm
Snake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:57 pm Why not just put another OL on the field?
A few reasons -

- You don't have to "report him," which means it might be a little easier to sneak him out on block and release plays without the defense already looking for it.
- Even if he's a garbage truck of a tight end, he's still faster/quicker/more agile than most linemen, and with better hands.
- Special teams.
Makes sense.

He still feels like a solution in search of a problem. But I suppose we are at the end stages of building a contender. Shore up the margins where you can.

Leftwich/TB12 could also have some tricks up their sleeve with Arians out of the building. Look forward to it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:07 pm
MJW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:00 pm

A few reasons -

- Special teams.
Makes sense.

He still feels like a solution in search of a problem. But I suppose we are at the end stages of building a contender. Shore up the margins where you can.

Leftwich/TB12 could also have some tricks up their sleeve with Arians out of the building. Look forward to it.
That's an excellent way to describe it. He really is a solution in search of a problem. This has never been an offense that depends upon the success of TE blocking or a FB making plays. Even if Kieft helped usher in a new wrinkle, it would still be a small wrinkle and the offense as a unit wouldn't deviate much from it's identity.

It's for that reason I wouldn't count on having a guy who's at best good for 2-3 plays a game a guaranteed active player on game days. Especially as a 4th TE.