Welcome Cade Otton!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Welcome Cade Otton!

Post by Primeminister »

The TE everyone wanted

Miller4Prez64

Re: Welcome Cade Otton!

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think he was probably the best TE on the board but I’m not too big on him tbh.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He's a younger version of Cameron Brate. Solid pass catcher but an average blocker. But he fills a need with OJ moving on and Gronk undecided about playing in 2022.

Licht's picks are filling needs, but I seriously doubt he's picking the right players.

Fitting they announced the pick in Munich considering the Bucs will be playing there.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Snake

Post by Snake »

Unfamiliar with Otton. Curious what we can dig up.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:14 pm He's a younger version of Cameron Brate.
Basically what I came to post. He's a bit taller, a bit lankier. But he does the same things.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Is it just me or are those videos not very impressive?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I really like Cade Otton, and I think he's great value in the fourth round. He's a good blocker but not great, a sneaky good route runner, with enough athleticism to get the job done. Does he have a dominant trait, no, but he does just about everything well enough. As a developmental guy, that's more than fine by me.

Not every time at bat needs to be a home run. Sometimes you need guys who just get on base. Cade Otton gets on base.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:19 pm Is it just me or are those videos not very impressive?
Seems bothered by contact inside the route.
Could use additional play strength.
Urgent after the catch, but average yards-after-catch talent.
More willing than aggressive in taking on blocking duties.
Frequently out-muscled and loses his stalemate block.
Not enough core strength to sustain and seal defensive ends.
Average reliability when asked to make backside cut-offs on outside zone runs.
As Cheb said, it seems like he's gonna get by with wits and finding soft spots in zones.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:19 pm Is it just me or are those videos not very impressive?
You're right, they're not, but I doubt Brate's (at Harvard or even here) would pop anyone's eyes out. Decent size and catch radius. Runs good routes. Athletic enough to beat linebackers in coverage. Frame to add a little bulk and length to become a decent blocker.

Like Brate, ideally he's your second tight end I think. But I don't have a problem with that in the 4th round. He'll make the 53, contribute quality reps, play special teams, etc.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 pm As Cheb said, it seems like he's gonna get by with wits and finding soft spots in zones.
Just like Brate.
Let's roll another joint
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:23 pm I really like Cade Otton, and I think he's great value in the fourth round. He's a good blocker but not great, a sneaky good route runner, with enough athleticism to get the job done. Does he have a dominant trait, no, but he does just about everything well enough. As a developmental guy, that's more than fine by me.

Not every time at bat needs to be a home run. Sometimes you need guys who just get on base. Cade Otton gets on base.

Sounds like a real blue collar type of player.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Just based on the videos above:

He's a good hands catcher and seems to snatch balls out of the air. He has a natural sense of flowing away from coverage into soft spots when the play breaks down. Some quality low-key push offs too. He really is a lanky guy, as noted by someone. Long legs. I think he's gonna get fucked up a lot in-line. Not everyone can be 6'6 like Gronk and still have great leverage. I don't think he's fluid enough to split out and take advantage of DBs. He is kinda built like a transformer, so there's a lot of moving parts. So you play him in-line, live with the blocking, and hope he can do his Brate thing.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Perrion Winfrey would have been a better pick. Or that Faelele the Ravens drafted.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Redrum wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:42 pm Perrion Winfrey would have been a better pick. Or that Faelele the Ravens drafted.
What if Gronk doesn’t come back?

I’ll admit I think I’d have liked a combo of Ruckert and Pierce better, but they could have gone that route and didn’t. Time will tell.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

My guess is Gronk is coming back and I also think the Bucs know if Gronk is coming back or not. If he wasn't, I think they'd have angled for McBride more. I think this guy is a better blocker than Brate who really struggles in that regard.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Four Verticals wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:21 pm My guess is Gronk is coming back and I also think the Bucs know if Gronk is coming back or not. If he wasn't, I think they'd have angled for McBride more. I think this guy is a better blocker than Brate who really struggles in that regard.
Not to throw shade at Mr Brate, but just about any tight end on a NFL roster is a better blocker.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:23 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:21 pm My guess is Gronk is coming back and I also think the Bucs know if Gronk is coming back or not. If he wasn't, I think they'd have angled for McBride more. I think this guy is a better blocker than Brate who really struggles in that regard.
Not to throw shade at Mr Brate, but just about any tight end on a NFL roster is a better blocker.
LOL! That is absolutely true. I guess my point is that those comparing him to Brate are probably mistaken in where Otton can be used.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Reports were the Bucs didn’t like the price to move up for McBride.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's fine. I actually have McBride behind Jeremy Ruckert anyway. This is good value. Still would love Gronk back.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 am That's fine. I actually have McBride behind Jeremy Ruckert anyway. This is good value. Still would love Gronk back.
Said elsewhere, will keep saying:

Passing on Ruckert will haunt this franchise.

If he turns out to be a JAG or a bust, please, feel free to haunt me with this post. But this feels exactly like 15 years ago, asking myself how the hell Jason Witten fell to the 3rd Round. It's like a bunch of teams simply decided to ignore how obviously suited for the NFL he was.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:08 am
Doctor wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 am That's fine. I actually have McBride behind Jeremy Ruckert anyway. This is good value. Still would love Gronk back.
Said elsewhere, will keep saying:

Passing on Ruckert will haunt this franchise.

If he turns out to be a JAG or a bust, please, feel free to haunt me with this post. But this feels exactly like 15 years ago, asking myself how the hell Jason Witten fell to the 3rd Round. It's like a bunch of teams simply decided to ignore how obviously suited for the NFL he was.
I thought there were a pile of players that would prepare this team for the future - but not enough ammo.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I hope this kid has been doing his deadlifts and squats and eating spinach (and some Mexican supplements). #1 TE spot is available.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Gronk is spreading love all over Twitter this morning.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Took him in the late 3rd round of my dynasty league. Was my only homer pick. Feel decent about it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:02 pm Took him in the late 3rd round of my dynasty league. Was my only homer pick. Feel decent about it.
That's a rock solid pick. It kind of snuck up on us, but Brate will be 31 in about a week. It's only a matter of time until Otton gets that job.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:31 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:02 pm Took him in the late 3rd round of my dynasty league. Was my only homer pick. Feel decent about it.
That's a rock solid pick. It kind of snuck up on us, but Brate will be 31 in about a week. It's only a matter of time until Otton gets that job.

Ko might be on the field more than you think.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:01 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:31 pm

Ko might be on the field more than you think.
I'm Pro-Ko! I'm a fan! I friggin love the old school. Let the boy line up and smack linebackers in the jaw! Line him up in the backfield and let Lenny run behind him and call it Rhino 2.0! I'm here for it.
Let's roll another joint