Kiki Neal Deserves His Own Thread, And I'm Here To Give It To Him

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Kiki Neal Deserves His Own Thread, And I'm Here To Give It To Him

Post by MJW »

Huge fan of this signing. He was the Jordan Whitehead of the Falcons before he got banged up. Just a LOS enforcer type safety. As most know, last year the Cowboys made him a linebacker. While everyone was cooing over Micah Parsons, Neal was consistently one of the their best defenders, making plays from sideline to sideline (despite a sub package designation, he played 61% of their snaps.)

I love that OBP has decided they're not going to let secondary depth hurt us this year. Between CD24, Dean, SMB, Cockrell, Winfield, Edwards, Neal, and Logan Ryan, we have the deepest secondary in the NFL right now. And with Ryan being able to play at a high level at safety or corner, and Neal being able to play safety or as a more traditional off the ball linebacker, we have versatility.

Anyway, welcome Mr. Neal. I hope you're ready to play for the not gross side of the Atlanta-Tampa rivalry.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Re: Kiki Neal Deserves His Own Thread, And I'm Here To Give It To Him

Post by Doctor »

He seems to be that tweener type DB Bowles likes to play all over. Good addition.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Yep. Bowles loves his chess pieces.
Let's roll another joint
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I'm concerned about what's left of him.

I remember on more than one occasion noting that Neal was out for a game against the Bucs. It makes me think of guys like Bob Sanders.

Given the depth we now have in the secondary, I'm glad Bowles isn't relying on Neal to save the defense, but I don't know what we're getting other than a name.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:22 am I'm concerned about what's left of him.

I remember on more than one occasion noting that Neal was out for a game against the Bucs. It makes me think of guys like Bob Sanders.

Given the depth we now have in the secondary, I'm glad Bowles isn't relying on Neal to save the defense, but I don't know what we're getting other than a name.
Depends on how he's used TBH. I trust TB to use him tactically. But yeah, injuries have to be a concern with this guy. After 2 years in the league, he looked like the next great strong safety. Then he basically missed 2 years in a row.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I guess he could help the other frail DB's stay off the injury report.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:48 am I guess he could help the other frail DB's stay off the injury report.
We now have 8 starting caliber DBs. 9 if you're some kind of Ross Cockrell fetishist. And Ryan can seamlessly play any spot. It's not impossible we get screwed by injuries there again, but we're in okay shape if we endure a more or less average number of them.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

With this signing, I'll bet the farm that Licht is going D-Line in the first round of the draft. And there are some uber talented D-Linemen expected to go late in the first round.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:02 am With this signing, I'll bet the farm that Licht is going D-Line in the first round of the draft. And there are some uber talented D-Linemen expected to go late in the first round.
Definitely in the first two rounds. I'd bet money on that.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If he were a former 4th round pick, no one would give this signing a 2nd thought. Fact is he hasn't been the guy MJW is describing in 5 years. Bowles and the staff know this as well which is why A. He was available this late in FA and B. he was only signed to a vet minimum deal.

I think he helps our STs and will only see defensive snaps if guys in front of him are injured. As far as 4th safeties go, you can do a lot worse, but I doubt he sees much playing time if he makes the final 53.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yeah, again, I like the signing and the depth, maybe a possible starter some games, but some of yall read way too much into roster moves in April.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:23 am

If he were a former 4th round pick, no one would give this signing a 2nd thought. Fact is he hasn't been the guy MJW is describing in 5 years. Bowles and the staff know this as well which is why A. He was available this late in FA and B. he was only signed to a vet minimum deal.

I think he helps our STs and will only see defensive snaps if guys in front of him are injured. As far as 4th safeties go, you can do a lot worse, but I doubt he sees much playing time if he makes the final 53.
I'll wait, it's already happened. He could still add to us on the field and I'm sure he could tutor the young one's at the same time.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'd like to have seen Joshua Williams, Tycen Anderson, and D'Anthony Bell.

Throw in Zyon McCollum and then figure out CB or S.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Starting to get a bat signal about Jeffrey Gunter Edge.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I loved Neal through his draft process and wasn’t shocked when he went round 1. He looked like a stud early not sure how we got him so cheap. Can definitely bring some of what Whitehead did, dude can lay the lumber.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's got a minimal one year deal. I doubt he impacts any draft or FA plans.

But he's the exact type of upside FA we love to sign. He's had an awful break with injuries and then covid. I'm all for this prove it deal.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:23 pm He's got a minimal one year deal. I doubt he impacts any draft or FA plans.

But he's the exact type of upside FA we love to sign. He's had an awful break with injuries and then covid. I'm all for this prove it deal.
The whole reason he is - is you cannot make plans with what you aint got. Meaning draft picks.
Kress

Post by Kress »

The whole reason for chicken, is because fish is not pork.

That was my mdb post for the day. Carry on.
nybf

Post by nybf »

should of gone with "aint pork"
Dread

Post by Dread »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:23 am I'd like to have seen Joshua Williams, Tycen Anderson, and D'Anthony Bell.

Throw in Zyon McCollum and then figure out CB or S.
Zyon McCollum is a CB with ideal length and athleticism. I see where he's projected in rd 4 or 5 when I'd bet he's a day 2 pick, probably 2nd rounder.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:44 am Starting to get a bat signal about Jeffrey Gunter Edge.
Are you saying Gotham needs their blind side protected?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:58 am
We now have 8 starting caliber DBs. 9 if you're some kind of Ross Cockrell fetishist.
MJW wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:12 pm Between CD24, Dean, SMB, Cockrell, Winfield, Edwards, Neal, and Logan Ryan, we have the deepest secondary in the NFL right now.

Ummmm
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There are quite a few very good CBs in this draft. I think this just further free's us up to do what we always do anyways but just more prepared- draft BPA. If it's a DB it's a DB.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:51 pm There are quite a few very good CBs in this draft. I think this just further free's us up to do what we always do anyways but just more prepared- draft BPA. If it's a DB it's a DB.
Looking at this roster, CB is up there for me as a top 2 need on this roster behind DL. SMB & Dean are in their contract years and 3 years in, they are who they are. You could argue both had their worst seasons as pros. But beyond that, who's behind our top 3 CBs? 32 year old Cockrell. After that, it's a guess.
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:06 pm should of gone with "aint pork"

Kudos for "should of"
Kress

Post by Kress »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:52 pm
Kress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Kudos for "should of"
Kress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:09 am Have any of you walked a course before? I'm just curious on your take as to how that effects you, but then again, if you did walk, I doubt you had a caddy toting your bag. But also, I doubt you had the Masters pushing you to keep moving.
Kudos for "affect"?

You really reached all the way over there for that? You sonofabitch.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:58 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:58 am
We now have 8 starting caliber DBs. 9 if you're some kind of Ross Cockrell fetishist.
MJW wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:12 pm Between CD24, Dean, SMB, Cockrell, Winfield, Edwards, Neal, and Logan Ryan, we have the deepest secondary in the NFL right now.

Ummmm
Let's roll another joint
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Kress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:54 pm
PetePierson wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:52 pm

Kudos for "affect"?

You really reached all the way over there for that? You sonofabitch.
I was just giving you credit for the "special" effects and psychedelics during heat and fatigue exhaustion.
Push the damned button already!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He had 6 combined tackles in first game, so I don't know how wasn't in that game. Also, he has only had injuries in his 3 of his first 4 seasons. None his last two.

2016-MCL sprain 2 games missed.
2018-ACL grade 3 tear. Missed 15 games.
2019-Pedal Achilles grade 3 tear. Missed 13 games.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Oh I'll take me some Bob Sanders. I loved Bob. And on a minimum deal. Even if he gets hurt, if he helps us out when he's in and even better if he's healthy during the playoffs when it matters most and contributes easy plus side deal.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Those are 2 significant injuries for an athlete relying on speed & agility.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 pm

He had 6 combined tackles in first game, so I don't know how wasn't in that game. Also, he has only had injuries in his 3 of his first 4 seasons. None his last two.

Those 3 injuries in his 1st 4 seasons are why his last 2 contracts have been 1 year deals with different teams. Injuries have long lasting effects, ESPECIALLY leg injuries.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:29 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 pm

Those 3 injuries in his 1st 4 seasons are why his last 2 contracts have been 1 year deals with different teams. Injuries have long lasting effects, ESPECIALLY leg injuries.
I was not disputing that, I was disputing that he was missing a game here or there because of the past injuries.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I'll happily take the guy that gives up 4 inches and 40 pounds to Mike Evans and was still able to level him in a highlight reel play we've all seen before. Dude plays hard AF and hopefully infects the DB room with that style of football. This is a plus move and anyone saying otherwise is fishing for votes.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 pm I'll happily take the guy that gives up 4 inches and 40 pounds to Mike Evans and was still able to level him in a highlight reel play we've all seen before. Dude plays hard AF and hopefully infects the DB room with that style of football. This is a plus move and anyone saying otherwise is fishing for votes.
The question has never been what he was capable of. The question what he is capable of now.

Personally, I think it was a good signing. He is still fairly young and has experience, plus he is cheap. If nothing else, he'd be a great backup. He could be a steal. The floor of this deal is low and the ceiling is very high.