Todd Bowles Head Coach Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Todd Bowles Head Coach Thread

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:55 pm The NFL sent a memo to all teams addressing how $800 million has been spent by teams over the past 5 years on GM's and coaches no longer employed by the team. One of the NFL's stated priorities is to have more People of Color as HC's or GM"s. The league will not allow the firing of Bowles and Lefty.
I wonder how much money the Steelers would want to let Tomlin out of his contract. $200m?

If I’m the Glazer‘s, I pay it.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:55 pm The NFL sent a memo to all teams addressing how $800 million has been spent by teams over the past 5 years on GM's and coaches no longer employed by the team. One of the NFL's stated priorities is to have more People of Color as HC's or GM"s. The league will not allow the firing of Bowles and Lefty.
And if that's the case, the Glazers should sue the league. I don't care if your black, white, red, yellow, or blue. If you suck at your job, I don't want you working for me.

Also get rid of the Rooney Rule for the same reason. No business should ever be forced to interview someone who obviously isn't qualified just because they are a certain ethnicity.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

like I said on other thread, he's a terrible coach. He is way over his head.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:58 pm
I wonder how much money the Steelers would want to let Tomlin out of his contract. $200m?

If I’m the Glazer‘s, I pay it.
Some things are priceless. To the Steelers, Mike Tomlin at 50 years old and his resume is priceless. Needless to say, if we make that call the second we mention his name they are hanging up.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

So owners are forcing NFL teams to keep their HC? I don't understand.

Todd Bowles is year 1 on a 5 year deal. Btw.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:39 pm So owners are forcing NFL teams to keep their HC? I don't understand.

800 million is a lot
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:39 pm So owners are forcing NFL teams to keep their HC? I don't understand.

800 million is a lot
Then I guess we better get used to Bowles. End up with some nice picks out of it.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

A thought crossed my mind today.

I don't think Bill Belichick has much longer in NE, I am starting to think both parties need a change and Bill a change of scenery, if he is not ready to retire may like the idea of being in a warm weather climate now that he is getting older. By the time we let Bowles go maybe the timing will be right.

If there is one guy who has tons of experience rebuilding rosters from scratch (he did it in Cleveland and New England) its Bill.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:59 pm A thought crossed my mind today.

I don't think Bill Belichick has much longer in NE, I am starting to think both parties need a change and Bill a change of scenery, if he is not ready to retire may like the idea of being in a warm weather climate now that he is getting older. By the time we let Bowles go maybe the timing will be right.

If there is one guy who has tons of experience rebuilding rosters from scratch (he did it in Cleveland and New England) its Bill.
Don’t kid yourself, Bill decided when Bill is done in NE.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

acmillis wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:30 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:59 pm A thought crossed my mind today.

Don’t kid yourself, Bill decided when Bill is done in NE.
Im not disagreeing with you.

The way I'm looking at it is even the best in the world, especially when they are somewhere for over 20 years, the message and voice gets old and stale. Even from New England's perspective, nothing lasts forever.

And you know, he is extremely obsessed with this game so would it suprise you if he would like to take on a new challenge while he is young enough at 70 to do this? If so, Why not be us.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Freakin Todd Bowles
We’re pissed off,” Bowles said after the game. “We can’t have, you know — it’s the same old song it’s Bucs vs. Bucs. You know, we play a good first half, and the second half, we come out, and we shoot ourselves in the foot, either by turnovers or penalties or field position on special teams. It’s a tale of two halves, and the half we played in the second half was Bucs vs. Bucs.”
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Put his hands out in front of him like Frankenstein's monster and tell me he doesn't look like he's lost in a fully lit room.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Push the damned button already!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bowles went into this set up counting on Brady/Lefty to hold up their side of things and he's being let down.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pm Bowles went into this set up counting on Brady/Lefty to hold up their side of things and he's being let down.
1) This is true. I have no doubt that's what they had in mind with this arrangement.

2) He's the head coach. Don't want the responsibility? Don't take the big chair and the big money that comes with it. He could have easily declined and had the same dynamic right now that Leftwich has. Then he'd just have to worry about the defense.

I have no idea why anyone would defend Bowles at this point, except to be provocative. The Jets were ass when he was there. We're ass now. He's had 5 full seasons and he's on the cusp of having a losing record in 4 of them. He's a great DC. He's not a head coach. It happens.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What does that even mean? He does take the responsibility, he's said so repeatedly. So unless he immediately fires Lefty and hires a top notch OC and fixes the offense mid season he isn't "taking responsibility"?

I think Bowles is still very much coming into his own on what kind of HC he is going to be. MOST head coaches don't crush it out the gate you know, including BB. You learn a lot your first time around.
We're literally year one of his second time around and we're in agreement the failure here is on the other side. Again, unless he does some magic midseason firing he isn't "good HC material"? Come on.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s 60 years old and in his fifth season as a head coach.

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:54 am What does that even mean? He does take the responsibility, he's said so repeatedly. So unless he immediately fires Lefty and hires a top notch OC and fixes the offense mid season he isn't "taking responsibility"?

I think Bowles is still very much coming into his own on what kind of HC he is going to be. MOST head coaches don't crush it out the gate you know, including BB. You learn a lot your first time around.
We're literally year one of his second time around and we're in agreement the failure here is on the other side. Again, unless he does some magic midseason firing he isn't "good HC material"? Come on.
There is one hall of fame defensive Coordinator off the top of my head who was great at what he did but was unsuccessful in the HC role (for 2 organizations) and that was Dick Lebeau.

Bowles may be the modern version of Lebeau, but if you give him another shot, not only does Leftwhich have to go but money needs to be spent hiring a good OC. Then see if that takes some of the pressure off of Bowles and he can focus on what he does best.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He may be. And I fully agree there are plenty of HC who are totally better left as coordinators.

I just think labeling Bowles as one off this season is extremely knee jerk. It needs to be more than "our same offense was good and it sucks now, on your watch, you're out".
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:06 am I just think labeling Bowles as one off this season is extremely knee jerk. It needs to be more than "our same offense was good and it sucks now, on your watch, you're out".
I think dismissing his time as the head coach of the Jets is a head in the sand.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's not being dismissed, it's just not being weighed entirely. Imagine if the final standing grade of a HC was how they did their first time around. So many great coaches would've never gotten to become great. Hell, BB without Tom holding down the offense could very easily have been labeled that.

His time on the Jets was rough. Sure. But holy heck, take it in context. Besides to classic kiss of death of crap QBs, literally look at the Jets drafts leading up to and during Bowles tenure. Holy failure Batman.

I hate how we go into every commitment so half ass.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Again, he’s 60. I’m not trying to be an ageist here but he’s been around the game for a long ass time. He’s been around successful head coaches for a long ass time. The learning curve should not be what it currently appears to be. If it is, it’s suggests a lack of aptitude. It’s more likely than not that he isn’t fit to be a good head coach.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Well you sound super ageist, lol.

So unless you've made it to your first HC job, failed, got a second one and found your groove by 60.... you're trash.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:06 am He may be. And I fully agree there are plenty of HC who are totally better left as coordinators.

I just think labeling Bowles as one off this season is extremely knee jerk. It needs to be more than "our same offense was good and it sucks now, on your watch, you're out".
It's not just the offense sucking, though. The game management has been questionable, to be kind. The clock management directly cost us at least one win. Communication breakdowns have become common. And we've now lost at least two games where we thoroughly outplayed a team in the first half and got the doors blown off after halftime, when they made adjustments. We've consistently played down to bad opponents. Against particularly well coached teams like the Chiefs and 49ers, we've posed zero threat to win the game. The outcomes were never in doubt.

Bowles was given a team with a winning culture and the vast majority of a roster that was a play (his play) away from the NFC Championship Game last year. Hell, he still has most of the key players from a team that won a Superbowl less than 2 years ago. This might be the best situation any new coach has started with since Mike Tomlin took over the Cowher Steelers. It took Bowles 3 months to turn us into a punchlihne.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 pm

800 million is a lot
29 of the 32 owners are worth at least $1.3 Billion.

The NFC South owners are worth roughly $31 Billion combined.

The owner of the Broncos is valued at $59 Billion just by himself.

It's not that much for anyone but maybe Mark Davis and his paltry $500 million.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

There also was a boatload of players not armed and ready to take this season somewhere - yet still here we are.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So why isn't McVay in the hot seat? The Rams are coming off a fresher SB, are in far worst shape, and yet...
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:47 pm So why isn't McVay in the hot seat? The Rams are coming off a fresher SB, are in far worst shape, and yet...
Track record, for one.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:47 pm So why isn't McVay in the hot seat? The Rams are coming off a fresher SB, are in far worst shape, and yet...
Track record, for one.

Promise, for two. He shows the ability to adapt and innovate. Bowles shows the ability to just grab another hammer so he can keep railing on that square peg.
MJW

Post by MJW »

McVay, in 5 full seasons, has a record of 55-26. He's been to the playoffs 4 times. He's been to two Superbowls, winning one. In those full seasons, he's never posted a losing record.

Bowles, in 4 full seasons, has a record of 24-40. He's never been to the playoffs. He's been in last place 3 of those 4 seasons, despite sharing the division with the (then) terrible Bills and Dolphins.

I'm going to say that's why.
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:47 pm
McVay, in 5 full seasons, has a record of 55-26. He's been to the playoffs 4 times. He's been to two Superbowls, winning one. In those full seasons, he's never posted a losing record.

Bowles, in 4 full seasons, has a record of 24-40. He's never been to the playoffs. He's been in last place 3 of those 4 seasons, despite sharing the division with the (then) terrible Bills and Dolphins.

Let's not also forget that McVay has infectious energy and appears to be a fun coach to play for, while Bowles could put a corpse to sleep with his lifeless tone of voice and permanent 1000 yard stare.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:39 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Let's not also forget that McVay has infectious energy and appears to be a fun coach to play for, while Bowles could put a corpse to sleep with his lifeless tone of voice and permanent 1000 yard stare.
You don’t keep a coach because he’s, “fun to play for.” If that was the case, Belixhek wouldn’t have sniffed a job to begin with
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:41 pm

You don’t keep a coach because he’s, “fun to play for.” If that was the case, Belixhek wouldn’t have sniffed a job to begin with

You might not have ever been an athlete. I don't know, but this post doesn't make it sound like it.

Fun to play for doesn't necessarily mean soft. A good coach, who you respect, is the guy who pushes you, not the guy who pats you on the head.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doesn't help if you're a zombie and also bad.

Dan Campbell didn't achieve immediate success but he was clearly loved in the locker room.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:45 pm

Doesn't help if you're a zombie and also bad.

Dan Campbell didn't achieve immediate success but he was clearly loved in the locker room.
Raheem was loved too
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Kress wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:45 pm

You might not have ever been an athlete. I don't know, but this post doesn't make it sound like it.

Fun to play for doesn't necessarily mean soft. A good coach, who you respect, is the guy who pushes you, not the guy who pats you on the head.
I was thinking as if I’m the owner of a team. Players loved Raheem… do I (owner) keep him because the players love him?