Welcome G Shaq Mason

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kress

Welcome G Shaq Mason

Post by Kress »

Per WDAE, trade from N.E. Great guard pickup.
Nano

Re: Welcome G Shaq Mason

Post by Nano »

Will be interesting to see what was given up...Mason is a damn good guard
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

It’s for a 5th. Good pickup by Licht.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Any reports on what we gave up?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Friend of mine is a diehard Masshole Pats fan, texted me:

“Your Bucs get a A+ RG. Great player great locker room guy.”
Kress

Post by Kress »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm It’s for a 5th. Good pickup by Licht.

Wow! Score. No 5th is going to do what he can do for us this year to help TB12.
Max

Post by Max »

For a 5th rounder

Highway robbery
Snake

Post by Snake »

955 snaps in 2021
4 penalties
1 sack allowed
85.2 PFF grade
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kress wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:15 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm It’s for a 5th. Good pickup by Licht.

Wow! Score. No 5th is going to do what he can do for us this year to help TB12.
Licht is earning his paycheck. The man is dealing right now.!
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I love that Licht is being aggressive instead of just running it back with the exact same group again. Our guard situation kind of forced his hand, but what a pickup.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:19 pm I love that Licht is being aggressive instead of just running it back with the exact same group again. Our guard situation kind of forced his hand, but what a pickup.
Every position group. All the assets. Cash em in!!!
Nano

Post by Nano »

That seems like a bad value for the Patriots. Mason is a good guard, his PFF grade has been above 80+ all but two years of his career(including back-to-back 85+ rated seasons), he's only 28, and his final two years of his contract cost 16 mil total. Wonder what the Pats thinking here is.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:16 pm 955 snaps in 2021
4 penalties
1 sack allowed
85.2 PFF grade
PFF had him graded higher than Marpet and Cappa too.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nano wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:21 pm
That seems like a bad value for the Patriots. Mason is a good guard, his PFF grade has been above 80+ all but two years of his career(including back-to-back 85+ rated seasons), he's only 28, and his final two years of his contract cost 16 mil total. Wonder what the Pats thinking here is.
He’s not perfect, but I’m giving BB the benefit of the doubt still.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If Licht get Honey Badger here, we’re good enough to win the ……

Good free agency signing so far

I don’t want to jinx it
Max

Post by Max »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:23 pm

He’s not perfect, but I’m giving BB the benefit of the doubt still.
Belichick has been a horrible GM for the last 5 years.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kind of a push. We get a starting caliber guard. Pats get $7mil in cap relief. Plus Mason only has 2 years left on his deal. Works out well for both teams IMO.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pats Fans:

“My guess is this is to open room to extend Trent Brown. He is more important for protecting Mac. Shaq Mason is an elite run blocker, but only a half decent pass blocker”

“ Bummer, but at least frees up a spot for Onwenu. If there’s ONE position I trust the Patriots to draft/find good talent, it’s interior o-line.”
Nano

Post by Nano »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Kind of a push. We get a starting caliber guard. Pats get $7mil in cap relief. Plus Mason only has 2 years left on his deal. Works out well for both teams IMO.
Does work out well for both team when you read more into it, but most Pats fans were expecting to get a lot more for Shaq Mason than just a late 5th.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Major major upgrade over Alex Cappa. With Mason next to Wirfs, that side of the line is going to be a bitch to handle for opposing defenses.

Now Hainsey and Stinnie can compete at LG with the loser being the number one backup.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Snake

Post by Snake »

Guards aren’t super valuable in a vacuum?
Nano

Post by Nano »

So, I guess our line next season will be

D. Smith
S. Mason
R. Jensen
R. Hainsley(Unless Hainsly is better suited for the other side, not sure).
T. Wirfs
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Nano wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:31 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Does work out well for both team when you read more into it, but most Pats fans were expecting to get a lot more for Shaq Mason than just a late 5th.
Fans rarely get what they want. It shouldn't be looked at as an indication of whether something worked or didn't work for the team.

From my perspective, this trade doesn't really fit us well but Mason can play and won't be a liability. He's a much better run blocker than he is pass protecting though and everyone knows we despise the run game. So we'll see how we plan on working around that. But I think anything more than a 5th for him would've been too much.
Max

Post by Max »

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Wow! This front office is killing it.

From an article ranking Pat's players:

Guard Shaq Mason -- PFF grade: 88.3
Their take: “New England pieced its offensive line back together this season, and the unit began to really dominate once again, with Shaq Mason playing some of his best football at right guard. Mason has been a run-blocking monster since his college days in a triple-option offense at Georgia Tech. He recorded an 87.2 run-blocking grade this season and allowed 16 pressures across 589 pass-blocking snaps despite blocking for a rookie passer.”

Our take: Yup, that’s a third offensive lineman on the top 101 list. Mason is absolutely deserving of this recognition, which begs the question as to why he’s not getting more love in Pro Bowl voting. He’s absolutely dominant in just about everything that he does. And the fact that the Patriots have so many impressive offensive linemen bodes well for quarterback Mac Jones, if he can elevate his play for 2022.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:34 pm From my perspective, this trade doesn't really fit us well but Mason can play and won't be a liability. He's a much better run blocker than he is pass protecting though and everyone knows we despise the run game. So we'll see how we plan on working around that. But I think anything more than a 5th for him would've been too much.

That's perception... Well, let me back up. That's you being contrarian, because, Bootz. ;) Anywho, that's more perception than reality. He's seen as a run blocking monster because he came from triple-option GT. But in the NFL, he has done just fine in pass pro. Just fine, indeed.

955 snaps in 2021
4 penalties
1 sack allowed
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:39 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:34 pm From my perspective, this trade doesn't really fit us well but Mason can play and won't be a liability. He's a much better run blocker than he is pass protecting though and everyone knows we despise the run game. So we'll see how we plan on working around that. But I think anything more than a 5th for him would've been too much.

That's perception... Well, let me back up. That's you being contrarian, because, Bootz. ;) Anywho, that's more perception than reality. He's seen as a run blocking monster because he came from triple-option GT. But in the NFL, he has done just fine in pass pro. Just fine, indeed.

955 snaps in 2021
4 penalties
1 sack allowed
Based off what Snake just posted, Pats fans seem to agree with the same sentiment. You're projected your own interpretation of what I said. No need because I was clear and you basically reiterated that you agree: he's a better run blocker than he is pass protector. Do you disagree with what you just said yourself?
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

This offseason rules!!!!
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

If the best or 2nd best G in the draft is still available when we pick I’d like to go that route. Even with the loss of Marpet and Cappa, our OL can be just as good or even better than last year.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Brazen331 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:50 pm If the best or 2nd best G in the draft is still available when we pick I’d like to go that route. Even with the loss of Marpet and Cappa, our OL can be just as good or even better than last year.
I'm down. I want to keep the best line in football.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Excellent trade.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

WalterFootball grade:

Buccaneers acquire G Shaq Mason from Patriots for 5th-round pick
The news just keeps getting better for the Buccaneers. Forty-eight hours ago, they didn't even expect to have Tom Brady or any of their interior offensive linemen. Since then, Brady canceled his retirement, while Ryan Jensen was re-signed. Still, there was a big need at guard in the wake of Ali Marpet's retirement and Alex Cappa's free-agency departure. Tampa Bay filled one of the holes with this trade.

Shaq Mason is one of the best guards in the NFL. He's due $16 million for the next two years, but that seems completely reasonable for a player of his caliber. He's well worth the fifth-round pick as a short-term boost to help the Buccaneers win another Super Bowl.

The Buccaneers won this trade by a wide margin. I get the Patriots wanting to shed some salary, but I'd rather have Mason over the fifth-round pick and the freed salary cap space, given that the Patriots are developing a young quarterback. I'd want Mac Jones to have the best protection possible, but New England is a team that often seems to find talented blockers out of thin air.

Grade for Buccaneers - A
Grade for Patriots - C
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:46 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:39 pm

955 snaps in 2021
4 penalties
1 sack allowed
Based off what Snake just posted, Pats fans seem to agree with the same sentiment. You're projected your own interpretation of what I said. No need because I was clear and you basically reiterated that you agree: he's a better run blocker than he is pass protector. Do you disagree with what you just said yourself?

Oh, for fuck's sake, Bootz. Here you go, I'll play:

Yes, that's what I said, which is why you agreed with my agreement of the disagreement with your original sentiment, which is why you admitted you were wrong but now agree with me because I said that's what you said in your interpretation of what I responded to your statement with by saying what I said. So thank you for that concession - it's rare, coming from you, but I'm glad to see you saw the light - and now you are free to please carry on with your nonsense.

Good day, sir.

I said, good day.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:01 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:46 pm

Oh, for fuck's sake, Bootz. Here you go, I'll play:

Yes, that's what I said, which is why you agreed with my agreement of the disagreement with your original sentiment, which is why you admitted you were wrong but now agree with me because I said that's what you said in your interpretation of what I responded to your statement with by saying what I said. So thank you for that concession - it's rare, coming from you, but I'm glad to see you saw the light - and now you are free to please carry on with your nonsense.

Good day, sir.

I said, good day.
Don't get upset you have to play the game you started. It's a real beta male trait. Start a fire and then cry when you inhale a little smoke.