Free Agency Frenzy Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: Free Agency Frenzy Thread

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:06 am Fun Unrelated Note -

The Dolphins famous (infamous for Houston) "Laremy Tunsil" trade has now netted the Dolphins:

- Tyreek Hill
- Jaylen Waddle
- Jevon Holland
- 2023 1st Rounder
- 2023 3rd Rounder

It's gotta be in the conversation for "most one-sided trades ever after Hershel Walker."
I think they gave up too many picks for Hill, but when you look at it this way it’s impressive.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Redrum wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:14 am

The Dolphins famous (infamous for Houston) "Laremy Tunsil" trade has now netted the Dolphins:

- Tyreek Hill
- Jaylen Waddle
- Jevon Holland
- 2023 1st Rounder
- 2023 3rd Rounder

It's gotta be in the conversation for "most one-sided trades ever after Hershel Walker."
That's quite the return for Tunsil. If Tua is any good that offense should take off this year.
"if" says it all.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I imagine the next great Alabama QB will be found out as well.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Redrum wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:14 am

- Tyreek Hill
- Jaylen Waddle
- Jevon Holland
- 2023 1st Rounder
- 2023 3rd Rounder

That's quite the return for Tunsil. If Tua is any good that offense should take off this year.
They had the worst line in the league last year, and it was the worst pass blocking group by far. If they're better (they should be with Armstead and Connor Williams) Tua should be okay. Or at least, he should get a fair evaluation. If he doesn't make good, they have two 1sts next year so they can always make a move. And that guy will have a pretty good team around him.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

At some point, paying X amount of dollars for a guy who provides Y amount of value for your team doesn’t make sense and it’s a relationship that good teams are assessing regularly. So, good on KC for understanding they can still have a good offense without breaking the bank for a dynamic WR. This Reid/Mahomes window is gonna have a lot of guys who come and go. Keeping a pipeline of cost-controlled talent is crucial and getting more bites at that apple is big. Say what you want about Reid…he’s fielded competitive teams his entire career and they ran the gamut in terms of personnel. If he told the GM the money is better spent elsewhere + picks, I’m inclined to believe him.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:26 am At some point, paying X amount of dollars for a guy who provides Y amount of value for your team doesn’t make sense and it’s a relationship that good teams are assessing regularly. So, good on KC for understanding they can still have a good offense without breaking the bank for a dynamic WR. This Reid/Mahomes window is gonna have a lot of guys who come and go. Keeping a pipeline of cost-controlled talent is crucial and getting more bites at that apple is big. Say what you want about Reid…he’s fielded competitive teams his entire career and they ran the gamut in terms of personnel. If he told the GM the money is better spent elsewhere + picks, I’m inclined to believe him.
Well put.

There are no sacred cows. Everyone has a number. When you become bad math for the organization - either because of cost or declining ability - you gotta go. Paying that contract to Hill was bad math for the Chiefs. So they moved on. We saw Belichick run the Patriots this way for years, and too rarely did we acknowledge that looking at players this way is the second best reason they were able to compete for 20 years (we know the #1 reason, of course.)

Also, this is a good reminder, as teams hand out these insane contracts this offseason, that if you're any good, the cap monster will show up at your door one day, and you will lose players you'll miss.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 am

- Tyreek Hill
- Jaylen Waddle
- Jevon Holland
- 2023 1st Rounder
- 2023 3rd Rounder

I think they gave up too many picks for Hill, but when you look at it this way it’s impressive.
Quality >>> Quantity always. Plus, circumstances are different here for Miami.

You look at the 5 picks they gave up and you can put it this way. Would you trade the 29th overall pick for Tyreek Hill? Absolutely. Throw in the 50th overall pick? Yes, still a good trade off. Throw in a 4th this year, and a 4th and 6th next year? Are you really losing anything other than numbers? Not exactly. They still have 5 picks this year.

Go to 2023. Miami gets a 1st from the 49ers and a 6th from the Bears. The only thing they lose is a 4th & 6th in 2023. And they’ll still have Tyreek Hill.

Miami had the picks to make this deal and instead of using them on players who potentially pan out, they used them on an elite weapon in his prime. I don’t see how this is anything but a great trade for Miami.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

For some reason I'm feeling Tyrann Mathieu will at least be tossed an offer from us. Whether he accepts or not is another story.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am For some reason I'm feeling Tyrann Mathieu will at least be tossed an offer from us. Whether he accepts or not is another story.
What is some reason? We just signed Logan Ryan?

We have absolutely no need for a high priced safety?

We have an immediate need for a RG/LG depending where Shaq fits in. A 1 TE until Gronk resigns, even then it’s a major position need. I’d argue 1 midround RB is needed(JAG). Then you need two or three nearly ready DE/OLB types. Where is the money for this safety named Mathieu who’s commanding 10-12 a year coming from outside of your Madden-esque mind.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:18 am
Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 am

Quality >>> Quantity always. Plus, circumstances are different here for Miami.

You look at the 5 picks they gave up and you can put it this way. Would you trade the 29th overall pick for Tyreek Hill? Absolutely. Throw in the 50th overall pick? Yes, still a good trade off. Throw in a 4th this year, and a 4th and 6th next year? Are you really losing anything other than numbers? Not exactly. They still have 5 picks this year.

Go to 2023. Miami gets a 1st from the 49ers and a 6th from the Bears. The only thing they lose is a 4th & 6th in 2023. And they’ll still have Tyreek Hill.

Miami had the picks to make this deal and instead of using them on players who potentially pan out, they used them on an elite weapon in his prime. I don’t see how this is anything but a great trade for Miami.
This is what I tried to explain to one of the guys at the halfway house I work at yesterday.

Value of picks is often off of a chart right?

1-1 has like 5000 value where as 1-5 has like 1000 value. Now 1-29 doesn’t have that much value. Throw in a mid round 2nd, then a 4th(argue here that we got one of the best guards in the league for a 4th).
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

BJJ34 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:35 am
Bucsfan83 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am For some reason I'm feeling Tyrann Mathieu will at least be tossed an offer from us. Whether he accepts or not is another story.
What is some reason? We just signed Logan Ryan?

We have absolutely no need for a high priced safety?

We have an immediate need for a RG/LG depending where Shaq fits in. A 1 TE until Gronk resigns, even then it’s a major position need. I’d argue 1 midround RB is needed(JAG). Then you need two or three nearly ready DE/OLB types. Where is the money for this safety named Mathieu who’s commanding 10-12 a year coming from outside of your Madden-esque mind.
No reason, just as feeling. This type of feeling is usually right since I have a high amount of intuition. Like I said, though, if it's rejected or not is a different story entirely. I do expect an offer to be made though. Call it the Brady effect.

*Edit* And Sherman did sign with us last year, did he not? Although he didn't do much, but I see the same type of competitiveness with brady with him as he did Matthieu.

Also, as much as I dislike Bowles, he does have a link with him, and our staff drafted him, etc.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:17 pm

If you believe you have the athletes that can stop him in space.

You're showing your lack of knowledge regarding an Andy Reid led system. His passing game attacks at all levels. Mainly the short, intermediate routes. ESPECIALLY screens.

They used Hill at all levels. He has 197 receptions over the last 2 seasons. And if your position is that he's exclusively a WR that runs 9 routes, you're sorely mistaken.
One knock on Reid's system is that it was very dependent on Hill taking 7 yard screens for 45 yards. I'm not saying "that's the entire offense" but by the Chiefs 3rd possession or so they tried it several times and we snuffed it right out. It was by about then I knew the Bucs were gonna beat them in the Super Bowl because Hill's evasiveness after the catch and with any kind of space was always their greatest magic trick. When they didn't have that, they didn't really have much of anything other than "Get the ball to Kelce" and we did a good enough job matching up. Reid will have to add another wrinkle somehow to compensate for the loss of Hill and it's gonna be really interesting to see if he can
If it can be done, I believe Reid is one coach that will get it done. I'd put him in the top 5 of current coaches around the league with guys like Belichick and Tomlin.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

The Dolphins gave up 5 picks and $30M a year for Hill, when they could've given up 2 picks and $28M for Adams a week ago. Yeah... they're idiots.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am The Dolphins gave up 5 picks and $30M a year for Hill, when they could've given up 2 picks and $28M for Adams a week ago. Yeah... they're idiots.
The Dolphins gave up picks #29 & #50
The Raiders gave up picks #22 & #53

So it's really a wash there.

The difference is 2 4ths, a 6th, and $1.75mil a year. I don't know if it's the Day 3 picks or the $1.75mil a year but somewhere you're putting entirely way too much stock into something there.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why is the knee jerk reaction on here to say Miami got fleeced? Some of you said it during the Tunsil trade (I totally disagreed) and you're saying it now.

The fact that Miami only gave up one (late) first round pick is amazing. They get a premiere WR at current market value. Not everyday a #1 WR knocks on your door like that. I think the move is fantastic.

Now WILL it work? I don't know. Their wonderkid head coach has a running background, is in over his head (imo), and has never had a weapon like Hill before. Honestly this could be a Randy Moss Raiders situation and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:55 am Why is the knee jerk reaction on here to say Miami got fleeced? Some of you said it during the Tunsil trade (I totally disagreed) and you're saying it now.
Do you have any links to this?

My recollection is that many (here) thought Miami robbed the Texans and it was the beginning of O'Brien being a terrible GM.

Tunsil was just coming off a year where he was really bad and wanted big money.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I feel like the college ranks produce a good amount of quality WRS every draft. Obviously Hill is special and you can’t count on drafting another him. But it certainly seems like a lot of money and assets for a WR. Especially for a team with a QB who can’t best utilize his deep speed. Mahomes to Tua is penthouse to outhouse.

He’s a serious weapon though. Acknowledged.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:55 am Why is the knee jerk reaction on here to say Miami got fleeced? Some of you said it during the Tunsil trade (I totally disagreed) and you're saying it now.

My recollection is that many (here) thought Miami robbed the Texans and it was the beginning of O'Brien being a terrible GM.

I'd have to go dumpster diving. May even be on the old board.

I always felt the Tunsil lovers were really just Licht haters who were mad he passed on Tunsil more than anything.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm

I always felt the Tunsil lovers were really just Licht haters who were mad he passed on Tunsil more than anything.
There were quite a few people who were upset about that, but I feel like many thought the Dolphins robbed the Texans anyway.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

The fact that Miami only gave up one (late) first round pick is amazing. They get a premiere WR at current market value. Not everyday a #1 WR knocks on your door like that. I think the move is fantastic.

Now WILL it work? I don't know. Their wonderkid head coach has a running background, is in over his head (imo), and has never had a weapon like Hill before. Honestly this could be a Randy Moss Raiders situation and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
No one person not named Brady is worth 4 or 5 other humans. Elite QBs change teams, people can argue an Elite d-lineman can as well, but a WR? I am not saying they were fleeced, but they got taken. This Board would go crazy if we committed 5 draft picks for 1 Wr.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:13 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 pm

There were quite a few people who were upset about that, but I feel like many thought the Dolphins robbed the Texans anyway.
I remember it the same way. It helped start the BO’B is insane/incompetent narrative.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

bucarican wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:15 pm

No one person not named Brady is worth 4 or 5 other humans. Elite QBs change teams, people can argue an Elite d-lineman can as well, but a WR? I am not saying they were fleeced, but they got taken. This Board would go crazy if we committed 5 draft picks for 1 Wr.
Some of the board went crazy when we paid Godwin his due. And that dude balled the fuck out for us.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grand jury mulls another Watson charge…

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/335 ... aun-watson
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cryptic tweet from SMB. Something could be coming for the Bucs

Nano

Post by Nano »

TE might be an issue. Wonder if we trade for someone this offseason. Seems like that's the popular thing to do.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Nano wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm

TE might be an issue. Wonder if we trade for someone this offseason. Seems like that's the popular thing to do.
He’ll be back
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Come on, Gronk. You know you want to.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

The other day he said he would make Tommy sweat before announcing his return. All in revenge for Brady making Gronk wait for his own eventual return.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Gronk will be back, let’s not kid ourselves.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Yea that's a non-story. Everyone knows Gronk is a clown and has a flare for the dramatics.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

As a sidebar, listening to Rich Risen tear into Urban Meyer brings me such joy.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:14 pm Bc Cool Daddy BA used the TE position so well prior to Gronk.

His fucking blocking will be missed most.
Your post made me interested in how well Gronk was actually utilized in his time here

So in 2 years here Gronk has 100 catches for 1423 yards and 13 tds.

That's actually great for an older, oft-injured TE who was competing with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Bryant for targets.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s an elite blocker and a clutch pass catcher. Nothing wrong with being the fourth option most games at this point in his career.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Gronk is still doing everything you want from a TE on the field. If we can get him back that's a huge win. To think, people were whining how trading for Gronk was a waste and merely name chasing. Oh how times have changed.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »