College Prospects

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
mdb1958

Re: College Prospects

Post by mdb1958 »

If Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral were there at 27 and nobody would offer us nothing - what would you think?

What would you think after one or two years?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 am If Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral were there at 27 and nobody would offer us nothing - what would you think?

I like Pickett but not sure if he is a true 1st round talent or just the best in a weak QB draft that will end up a 1st round pick. I do like the way Pickett plays and I think he would be a leader in the huddle.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

ATH stands for athlete. You see it more projected onto high schoolers entering college. Basically, he doesn't fit nearly into a positional box or maybe he fits in two, so we will see.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:31 pm ATH stands for athlete. You see it more projected onto high schoolers entering college. Basically, he doesn't fit nearly into a positional box or maybe he fits in two, so we will see.
He is a small DE and there was talk of moving him to LB or Safety.
Safety sounds good to me.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:37 pm
He doesn't look terrible but made some mistakes and had some completions that would have been intercepted at the NFL level because he was a bit inaccurate. Overall I like his play. My understanding is that he chose to return for his Junior year. Should be on the radar for next year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 am If Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral were there at 27 and nobody would offer us nothing - what would you think?

I really, really like Pickett. I'm not quite sure who to comp him to. A poor man's Joe Burrow, maybe. He has that same kind of mentality. He's an alpha. I've enjoyed scouting him. He'll elevate a franchise. He might not ever be a *S*uperstar, but he'll be a "that's our QB!" type of player. Give him some help, I think he can win a chip. If I was the Panthers at #6, I take him, the end. If he's there at #27, and we pass on him for Trask (a nice prospect but a guy who'll only ever be as good as his supporting cast), that'll break my heart.

Corral I don't like here. He's a Point Guard. A distributor. A Jeff Garcia type. In an offense that uses 6'5 JUGS machine type passers, he doesn't make sense to me.

watch some Carson Strong. To me, he was born to play in this offense. He's a far superior version of Trask. If he hadn't blown out his knee, I think he'd be a Top Ten type prospect.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:24 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:37 pm
He doesn't look terrible but made some mistakes and had some completions that would have been intercepted at the NFL level because he was a bit inaccurate. Overall I like his play. My understanding is that he chose to return for his Junior year. Should be on the radar for next year.
I like his motion. Very sharp and compact. But he puts way too much air under the ball, even when the look calls for a rope. You put that much air under the ball in the NFL, you're getting picked. I get Colt Brennan vibes from him. His arm is a bit better. But you can't play in the league if every pass you throw has an arc.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:17 am
13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:24 pm

I like his motion. Very sharp and compact. But he puts way too much air under the ball, even when the look calls for a rope. You put that much air under the ball in the NFL, you're getting picked. I get Colt Brennan vibes from him. His arm is a bit better. But you can't play in the league if every pass you throw has an arc.

He has a year or two to work on his flaws.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MY WR's

Dareke Young, WR, Lenoir-Rhyne
Height: 6-1. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.5.

Jaivon Heiligh, WR, Coastal Carolina
Height: 6-0. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

Dai'Jean Dixon, WR, Nicholls State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 201.
Projected 40 Time: 4.5.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Any thoughts on Kameron Brown - Coastal Carolina
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Anybody have any info on this guy?

Tabyus Taylor Notre Dame College
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Joshua Williams ?? Fayetteville State
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Let's see if the NFL blinks.
2022 NFL draft combine: Agents organizing boycott over 'bubble' restrictions, per report
Agents want the league to relax its restrictions for this year's combine
By Jordan Dajani
16 hrs ago
1 min read

Agents representing more than 150 NFL draft prospects are organizing a boycott of all testing, on-field workouts and interviews at the NFL combine in Indianapolis if "bubble" restrictions for this year's event aren't changed, per NFL Media's Ian Rapoport. The 2021 NFL Combine did not take place due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and while it was to return this year, as of now players are set to be confined to a "bubble." The NFL laid out its restrictions in a memo this weekend. Many players will reportedly answer by boycotting the combine.

The bubble restrictions include prospects being allowed just one "medical support person" who must be fully vaccinated. The memo also states that players will be restricted to secure combine venues during their entire time in Indy, and that players who violate these policies will be disqualified and sent home.

Per Rapoport, players being denied access to their full team of coaches and trainers is a main sticking point, and if the NFL does not ease the planned restrictions, many top prospects will only complete medical evaluations at this year's combine.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones wrote earlier this week about changes to the combine and how they could lead to players skipping the bench press. On Sunday, Jones added that changes may now lead to players skipping the combine.

The NFLPA had sent a letter to every agent earlier on Sunday denouncing the combine and its new restrictions:

"We have spoken to several agents to reinforce our long standing opposition to the NFL Scouting Combine and agree and support the decisions by those to not attend. The combination of the NFL's proposed "bubble" and fact that we still have an antiquated system of every team doctor examining players and having them perform yet again needs serious modification or elimination. While we do not represent these players we have advocated for their rights to fair treatment.

"Our union has always encouraged players to take control of their careers from the very beginning and we appreciate that agents are looking at ways to support that goal."
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:49 pm Let's see if the NFL blinks.
They blinked. And it didn't take long. :lol:
2022 NFL Combine Bubble Restrictions Removed After Pushback from Prospects, Agents
PAUL KASABIAN
FEBRUARY 22, 2022

AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall
The NFL Scouting Combine will remove some COVID-19 restrictions amid pushback from draft prospects and agents.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, a memo was sent out revealing those changes:

Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Only part of what he's done - but could you guys handle a DT that has averaged a little over 53 tackles a season for three years in a row?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb, who might take a chance on Brandon Smith?
MJW

Post by MJW »

I thought this was interesting. CJ2K was a beast. Goodwin has had a nice little career. The rest of these guys were trash.

Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Have I mentioned DivII Sam Roberts yet - just the type to make Pete lose his roster spot.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kenny Pickett has an 8.5 inch hand. I have a 9 inch hand and the ball still feels big (har har).
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:21 pm Kenny Pickett has an 8.5 inch hand. I have a 9 inch hand and the ball still feels big (har har).
This is going to be a really interesting situation. I'm old enough to remember when Daunte Culpepper "only" having 9.5 inch hands was considered a potential problem in the league (and it kinda was - he fumbled 102 times in 105 career games.) Pickett having an 8.5 inch hand is...I dunno. I don't get hung up on that sort of thing, but that's exceptionally small for a QB.

He's still my favorite QB in this class, but if I'm a GM, I'm definitely assuming he's going to fumble more than average, and factoring that into my decision-making process.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Evan Neal...6'7 and weighed in at 340. And it's not the 340 most players that heavy usually carry.

He's been getting comped to Orlando Brown Jr, but that's all wrong. He's built like the next evolution of Walter Jones.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Christian Watson could be the first receiver off the board.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:56 am Evan Neal...6'7 and weighed in at 340. And it's not the 340 most players that heavy usually carry.

He's been getting comped to Orlando Brown Jr, but that's all wrong. He's built like the next evolution of Walter Jones.
And? Is this a prelude to how great other teams are or are you figuring out the cost of acquiring him?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Look at the size of those mitts. Jesus
Snake

Post by Snake »

Olave and Wilson were both sub 4.4? Dear god. Wilson also has a nearly 10” hand at 6’

Very much looking forward to the corners and safeties. Stingley Jr, Hamilton, the CB from Cincinnati.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Do you take Malik Willis or Trey Lance today?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Jordan Davis: Super Destroyer or Dancing with the Stars?
Snake

Post by Snake »

When you play as high as he does, you might as well be dancing.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:52 am Jordan Davis: Super Destroyer or Dancing with the Stars?
Davis plays incredibly high, but men his size are rarely as athletic as he is; his athleticism at that weight is right up there with Vita Vea. His upside is huge, and some d-line coach is going to think that his issues are entirely correctable, or that his pad level doesn't matter because of his other dominant traits.

I think even if Davis doesn't live up to his hype, he'll still be a serviceable run stopper with a long career, so long as he takes his weight and career with some degree of seriousness.

But then again, maybe his bad footwork and sky high pads mean he will get washed out against pro linemen. Maybe he didn't do the beach press for a reason and he's more a product of his mass moving at quick speed than he is actually strong.

He will most likely be gone before we pick. We will see what happens with his career.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Some metric similar to SPARQ has Davis as the most athletic prospect since Calvin Johnson. Yeesh.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

True or false

In the 2022 NFL Draft

There may be one or more players that could improve every positional group on our roster.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:20 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:52 am Jordan Davis: Super Destroyer or Dancing with the Stars?
Davis plays incredibly high, but men his size are rarely as athletic as he is; his athleticism at that weight is right up there with Vita Vea. His upside is huge, and some d-line coach is going to think that his issues are entirely correctable, or that his pad level doesn't matter because of his other dominant traits.

I think even if Davis doesn't live up to his hype, he'll still be a serviceable run stopper with a long career, so long as he takes his weight and career with some degree of seriousness.

But then again, maybe his bad footwork and sky high pads mean he will get washed out against pro linemen. Maybe he didn't do the beach press for a reason and he's more a product of his mass moving at quick speed than he is actually strong.

He will most likely be gone before we pick. We will see what happens with his career.
I know you're not high on him. I won't delve into the technical aspects (that's your job) but it's vaguely concerning that a guy with his athletic profile wasn't more productive.

You know who a good comp might be? Albert Haynesworth. Similar builds. Haynesworth was also an athletic marvel (he ran a sub 5.0 forty at 320.) He also wasn't super productive in the SEC. The faucet ran hot and cold. Now, of course, all he's remembered as is the biggest FA bust ever. Not saying Davis is the same in that sense. I have no idea. But as a prospect it's an interesting comp.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@MJW I guess it's quite possible he was the first player the QB decided to get away from.

The college game is get there and the pro game is stay there.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I do wonder how the 3rd down snap counts worked for Ga.