MLB '22

Crocaneers

MLB '22

Post by Crocaneers »

Pitchers/ Catchers are scheduled to report today ....

Freakin' Manfred
acmillis

Re: MLB '22

Post by acmillis »

Any chance the season actually gets started on time?

methinks not
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 pm Any chance the season actually gets started on time?

methinks not
Fat chance…
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:01 pm
acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 pm Any chance the season actually gets started on time?

methinks not
Fat chance…
I can't disagree, yet also feel that if MLB misses games .. the overall public is walking away (perhaps never to come back).
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Crocaneers wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:25 pm

Fat chance…
I can't disagree, yet also feel that if MLB misses games .. the overall public is walking away (perhaps never to come back).
IMO, most MLB fans can't walk anymore anyway because they're all 203948230948 years old.

MLB has done a horrendous job keeping younger-ish people engaged, involved, and entertained over the last couple of decades.

The steroid era was the most entertaining (IMO) and since that got "shut down", the popularity has gone the way of a VHS tape.

Juice everything; the ball, the players, whatever else there is to juice (if the players choose to, that is) and the popularity will soar.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:01 pm
Crocaneers wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:25 pm

IMO, most MLB fans can't walk anymore anyway because they're all 203948230948 years old.

MLB has done a horrendous job keeping younger-ish people engaged, involved, and entertained over the last couple of decades.

The steroid era was the most entertaining (IMO) and since that got "shut down", the popularity has gone the way of a VHS tape.

Juice everything; the ball, the players, whatever else there is to juice (if the players choose to, that is) and the popularity will soar.
Um...I don't even know a lot of older folks that are engaged with MLB anymore. Most of the people I know that still follow the sport are middle-aged at most. I checked out after the lockout back in the '90s. Now I only have a passing interest at best.
Don't tread on me
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

I didn't even realize there was a lock out
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Noles1724 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:32 am I didn't even realize there was a lock out
I actually that was one of Manfred's positions ... make sure everyone knows

It'll backfire.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Is there any reason baseball doesn’t just let the players juice? Why not save their game by giving fans the monster pitchers and hitters they want? I’ve never understood this.

Also I’m one of those people who didn’t even know there was a strike. Baseball is going to lose the 43 fans they have left.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 am Is there any reason baseball doesn’t just let the players juice? Why not save their game by giving fans the monster pitchers and hitters they want? I’ve never understood this.

Also I’m one of those people who didn’t even know there was a strike. Baseball is going to lose the 43 fans they have left.
How dare you slander the good name of America's pastime by introducing the idea of allowing players to opt-in to steroid usage!

/old white guys who love baseball and are dying soon but also killing the game for generations to come.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 am Is there any reason baseball doesn’t just let the players juice? Why not save their game by giving fans the monster pitchers and hitters they want? I’ve never understood this.

Juicing was fine until their "hallowed records" were threatened. Brady Anderson hitting 50 HRs was fine. 63+? No, this is evil and must be stopped.

And it's not a strike. The owners locked out the players.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Brockmire predicted this.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Baseball isn't dying because it's not interesting or can't keep people entertained. It's because people know their team has 2-3 years to make good on their window before they go back to being pig shit for another 5-10 years while the same few clubs put on a master class on how to waste money at the pig shit's expense and there's general apathy towards whoever does actually win it all.

MJW's Royals did their best impression of the Bucs being irrelevant damn near 20 years, winning a ring and instantly suck again (like we might) and I cannot fathom why anyone in KC would be more than lukewarm towards them. We can meme about the Mets all we want at NY's expense because it's all part of the gig but at least you can sometimes pretend to hope in his position. The day that team wins it all again I won't sit here in shock like I did KC
Last edited by Swashbuckler on Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Swashbuckler wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 pm Baseball isn't dying because it's not interesting or can't keep people entertained. It's because people know their team has 2-3 years to make good on their window before they go back to being pig shit for another 5-10 years while the same few clubs put on a master class on how to waste money at the pig shit's expense and there's general apathy towards whoever does actually win it all.

MJW's Royals did their best impression of the Bucs being irrelevant damn near 20 years, winning a ring and instantly suck again (like we might) and I cannot fathom why anyone in KC would be more than lukewarm towards them. We can meme about the Mets all we want at NY's expense because it's all part of the gif but at least you can sometimes pretend to hope in his position. The day that team wins it all again I won't sit here in shock like I did KC
Pretty much. MLB has the same 5-6 teams with a legit shot at a title year after year. The rest are just window dressing. Sure, from time to time, a dressing will climb down from the window and compete for a title. Then it's right back to the window for them and we're left with those same 5-6 teams again.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:10 am
Swashbuckler wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 pm Baseball isn't dying because it's not interesting or can't keep people entertained. It's because people know their team has 2-3 years to make good on their window before they go back to being pig shit for another 5-10 years while the same few clubs put on a master class on how to waste money at the pig shit's expense and there's general apathy towards whoever does actually win it all.

MJW's Royals did their best impression of the Bucs being irrelevant damn near 20 years, winning a ring and instantly suck again (like we might) and I cannot fathom why anyone in KC would be more than lukewarm towards them. We can meme about the Mets all we want at NY's expense because it's all part of the gif but at least you can sometimes pretend to hope in his position. The day that team wins it all again I won't sit here in shock like I did KC
Pretty much. MLB has the same 5-6 teams with a legit shot at a title year after year. The rest are just window dressing. Sure, from time to time, a dressing will climb down from the window and compete for a title. Then it's right back to the window for them and we're left with those same 5-6 teams again.
The last 8 years have had 8 different champs. And those last 8 world series featured 11 different teams.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

nybf wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:45 am

The last 8 years have had 8 different champs. And those last 8 world series featured 11 different teams.
And this is where I think MLB is "doing it wrong."...wel, one of the areas at least.

The average fan has the B2 mindset, "the Yankees and Dodgers win all the time." But, they actually don't. However, MLB is ding nothing to promote the non-brands and they just keep letting the public drive home the, "only the big boys matter/win" narrative.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Obviously, I haven't been paying attention which takes me back to my previous post in this thread about checking out.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:12 am And this is where I think MLB is "doing it wrong."...wel, one of the areas at least.

The average fan has the B2 mindset, "the Yankees and Dodgers win all the time." But, they actually don't. However, MLB is ding nothing to promote the non-brands and they just keep letting the public drive home the, "only the big boys matter/win" narrative.
I had a friend who's a big hockey fan. Probably a decade ago I joked with him that if Sidney Crosby walked into the bar right now, only like 3 people here would know who he is.

MLB has that same problem. Mike Trout is one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and he barely has a public face. Forget about pretty much anyone else in the sport.
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 am Obviously, I haven't been paying attention which takes me back to my previous post in this thread about checking out.
And that speaks to a huge issue as well. There's a significant part of the population who doesn't even know MLB is in a lockout right now. Spring training is already delayed. Best case scenario is they have just over one week to reach an agreement before the regular season is in jeopardy. The last bargaining meeting (which was the first in a few days) was over in 15 minutes.

MLB seems to be hell bent on eliminating the minor leagues. Their proposal would save each owner a whopping $300k a year. $300k is one bad game's parking receipts. The last two meetings have stopped because the players won't agree to that.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Parity has gotten much better lately. One can try to argue there isn't as much because all one has to do is go back to 2010 and appearance-wise we've got the Red Sox twice (and now everyone hates them even more because of Cora), the Giants 3 times, the Astros 3 times (any everyone hates them too), the Dodgers 3 times and I think people just hate them period. Despite this, parity IS better. But the root of the problem is save for the Giants, you spend almost every year cheering against some team you find unlikable. Baseball has a huge problem with successful teams being genuinely unlikable.

We've had different champions, but baseball STILL finds a way to further breed contempt in spite of places like KC, Atlanta and DC figuring it out and winning. You can be pig shit before, you'll likely be pig shit after and your moment in the sun can be best remembered as being a Little Engine That Could. People hate that shit and MLB will then proceed to celebrate your accomplishment like the asshole at the beach who points out to a burn victim like "Look at how brave he is showing his scars!" "Yeeaahh!"

I'm not trying to wax political, but your average 30 year old wakes up to enough problems as it is. They're not going to emotionally invest in a sport that all but literally mirrors the socioeconomic aspects of their life. If they had even a morsel of hope that their baseball team that's sucked for 10 years would ever be good, they'd watch. But after that long, apathy sets in
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Let me know when the Cincinnati Reds become relevant again. I used to be a huge Reds fan from the late-60's right up to the last lockout back in the '90s.
Don't tread on me
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 am Let me know when the Cincinnati Reds become relevant again. I used to be a huge Reds fan from the late-60's right up to the last lockout back in the '90s.
Pretty sure John says in Revelation that Jesus will come back before that happens.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:44 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 am Let me know when the Cincinnati Reds become relevant again. I used to be a huge Reds fan from the late-60's right up to the last lockout back in the '90s.
Pretty sure John says in Revelation that Jesus will come back before that happens.
Nah.

Check the post credit scene. John confirmed the Reds wouldn’t even win in hell.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Primeminister wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:20 am
Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:44 pm

Nah.

Check the post credit scene. John confirmed the Reds wouldn’t even win in hell.
Well, that's just disappointing.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

Seems like Monday is the deadline for a deal before games start getting canceled. Not postponed. MLB has said they're canceling games, they will not be made up, and salaries will be prorated.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Today is the last day to reach a deal before the owners start canceling games.
nybf

Post by nybf »

PetePierson wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:50 am
nybf wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:46 am Today is the last day to reach a deal before the owners start canceling games.
No gouda.
Nope. And the owners keep trying to pin this on the players. They're the ones who locked the players out. They're also the ones that refused to meet for over 7 weeks.
nybf

Post by nybf »

MLB told MLBPA that they're willing to cancel the first month of games. This gives ownership free service time manipulation this year, a sticking point of the new cba.
Kress

Post by Kress »

methinks not
Fat chance…
It's Fat Tuesday!

Supposedly "finalizing" a deal today. I'll believe it when I see it.
You know, when I see athletic men with balls in their hands.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

I'm sure he will have wrods and such ... nothing says this is close to being done

I have more faith the Ukrainian's will beat Russia first
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Ughh

nybf

Post by nybf »

If the guy who runs baseball is going to smile and laugh while telling me he doesn't want my money, I'll believe him.

I'm done (unless the Mets sign Freddie Freeman).
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Well well spring training canceled?..
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Hey Pittsburgh won’t even know the season hasn’t started until the Pens win the Cup so that’s cool.

I read the email the Pirates sent season ticket holders… just blaming players for having legit concerns. Maybe we should listen to the guys playing our sport considering the owners have ruined the god damn game.
nybf

Post by nybf »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:21 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 pm If the guy who runs baseball is going to smile and laugh while telling me he doesn't want my money, I'll believe him.

I'm done (unless the Mets sign Freddie Freeman).
Chin up, little camper. You still have Bonilla on the payroll.
There were rumors the new owner was going to bring him to the ballpark to give him an oversized check to celebrate.
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:31 pm
PetePierson wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:21 pm

Chin up, little camper. You still have Bonilla on the payroll.
There were rumors the new owner was going to bring him to the ballpark to give him an oversized check to celebrate.
That would be fantastic. They could seriously make an entire weekend out of that.