Albert Breer expects Russell Wilson To Be Traded...

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Albert Breer expects Russell Wilson To Be Traded...

Post by MJW »

What do you give up for him? Is his disappointing season kind of like TB12's disappointing 2019, and he'll bounce back with Arians and our offense?

Would you make this deal (just throwin' it out there:)

2022 1st
2022 3rd
2023 1st
2024 2nd

I think that's probably about the right price, based on his game and his age.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
uscbucsfan

Re: Albert Breer expects Russell Wilson To Be Traded...

Post by uscbucsfan »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:44 am What do you give up for him? Is his disappointing season kind of like TB12's disappointing 2019, and he'll bounce back with Arians and our offense?

2022 1st
2022 3rd
2023 1st
2024 2nd

If we could, hell yes.

Pete is right. It's unlikely for us to hit the lotto twice.
MJW

Post by MJW »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:02 am Nope. Not making that deal. You Homers are fucking delusional if you think the Yucks are going to catch lightning in a bottle twice, back-to-back no less.

Just BOHICA, Baby and get ready to return to suck for the next 15 years or so.
Egads! I'm just tryin' get the stink off of #3!
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:39 am
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:44 am What do you give up for him? Is his disappointing season kind of like TB12's disappointing 2019, and he'll bounce back with Arians and our offense?

2022 1st
2022 3rd
2023 1st
2024 2nd

If we could, hell yes.

I think he gets dealt. It just makes too much sense from an organizational standpoint to me.

I don't particularly believe it'll be to us.
Let's roll another joint
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:41 am
If we could, hell yes.

I think he gets dealt. It just makes too much sense from an organizational standpoint to me.

That package is fine.

We keep kicking the can down the road with the cap for 2-3 more years and keep a legit window open.

Wilson has been shit down the stretch for the last couple of years. I'm not sure why, either, but I'd obviously take it.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:43 am Weren't there some rumors yesterday about Russ to Washington?
Yes.

Washington and Cleveland seem to be leading the way and some about the Eagles.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

If we could, hell yes.

With him clearly declining, I don't think that's a good package.... at all. We could get DeShaun Watson for less than that and he's way younger. As for hitting the lotto twice, it's unlikely but possible. The Colts did it with Peyton Manning and then Andrew Luck.

I agree that he will be traded but not to us. Our organization is about to go into cap hell for a couple years and we need younger guys to put in the work so they'll be ready to roll when we come out of it. We need to acquire draft picks, not deal them.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:29 am

We could get DeShaun Watson for less than that and he's way younger.
What?

The Texans were turning down bigger packages. They've defined their minimum as 3 1st and a "high level player".

We aren't even sure if Watson will be able to play, but if he can, the Panthers and others certainly have the ammo to outbid us.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:37 am
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:29 am

We could get DeShaun Watson for less than that and he's way younger.
What?

The Texans were turning down bigger packages. They've defined their minimum as 3 1st and a "high level player".

We aren't even sure if Watson will be able to play, but if he can, the Panthers and others certainly have the ammo to outbid us.
If the Texans are still holding to their demands then their front office is even more delusional than I thought. Those demands were made before all this sexual assault stuff about Watson came to light. If they keep those demands, they will be stuck paying a player tens of millions to do nothing and it will cripple their cap. No one is going to trade that much for a guy that might end up in the slammer or suspended for a long time
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:04 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:37 am
What?

If the Texans are still holding to their demands then their front office is even more delusional than I thought. Those demands were made before all this sexual assault stuff about Watson came to light. If they keep those demands, they will be stuck paying a player tens of millions to do nothing and it will cripple their cap. No one is going to trade that much for a guy that might end up in the slammer or suspended for a long time
That's not true at all. Those demands were after the allegations and they received offers close to that, if rumors are to be believed, by teams like the Panthers.

Watson, even with his February trial, currently has a higher asking price than MJW proposed for Wilson.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:16 am
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:04 am

That's not true at all. Those demands were after the allegations and they received offers close to that, if rumors are to be believed, by teams like the Panthers.

Watson, even with his February trial, currently has a higher asking price than MJW proposed for Wilson.
I don't believe those rumors for a second
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:33 am

That's on you, but they are realistic and align with what the Texans say.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Someone please send Pedro a care package of cash, guns, ladyboiis, liquor and steak. I don't know if his back can handle blending over

#OOCA
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Believe it big dog. Houston is gonna make whoever trades for Watson pay very heavily for the privilege. They're gonna settle for no less than to Herschel Walker this thing
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:48 am

That package is fine.

We keep kicking the can down the road with the cap for 2-3 more years and keep a legit window open.

Wilson has been shit down the stretch for the last couple of years. I'm not sure why, either, but I'd obviously take it.
It's because he's physically breaking down.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:48 am
That package is fine.

And yet it's only half as broken down as the offensive lines that's been in front of him
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:59 am
CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 am

And yet it's only half as broken down as the offensive lines that's been in front of him
I don't discount that. But, he's 34 and a big part of his game is mobility. Last year, in the 3rd and 4th Q's, he was a middle of the road passer. He's not getting younger. His legs aren't going to get faster. His game isn't as a pocket passer/throw no risk-it no biscuit passes. He's not really a good fit for this offense. Last year, he had 0 4th Q comebacks and only 1 game winning drive.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

While Wilson had a down year this past season I think that taking that as a sign of his career being on the downward swing is probably wrong. There are multiple factors that contributed to Wilson's down year. First and foremost being DK Metcalf forgetting how to catch the ball for the majority of the season. Secondly, they had no running game to speak of once Chris Carson went down. Third, their offensive line is putrid. And that's just the offense.

The supporting cast matters for every QB, and not many are going to be able to overcome a completely garbage supporting cast on offense if they are always having to bail their defense out on top of it. The Seahawks didn't have the worst defense in the league but it certainly was below average and that can seriously compound issues on the offensive side of the ball, especially when you can't control time of possession on a reliable basis.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yes. He also had this

Missed four weeks after surgery and having a pin, and came back.

the Seahawks are at a crossroads, to be sure. Wilson is probably looking around the league and wondering how the last decade of his career is going to play out and if Seattle is right for him.

As it currently stands, he is under contract this year and next year. If he is cut before next year, $26 million dead cap hit. $13m the following season. Base salary is actually pretty low. So he would get cashed out for his signing bonus if traded. then get another huge deal.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:24 am
Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:59 am

I don't discount that. But, he's 34 and a big part of his game is mobility. Last year, in the 3rd and 4th Q's, he was a middle of the road passer. He's not getting younger. His legs aren't going to get faster. His game isn't as a pocket passer/throw no risk-it no biscuit passes. He's not really a good fit for this offense. Last year, he had 0 4th Q comebacks and only 1 game winning drive.
Well.... this Bucs team only has like 2-3 more seasons to kick the can down the road and if it's all Wilson's got left, I think we'll at least have a chance. I don't hate Trask/Gabbert. I just know this team CAN and WILL win a lot of games with a QB that knows how to get the job done. The fact he's even still occasionally effective despite the mess he's in speaks to the talent he still has left.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Also, look at Stafford if you want to see what going to a team that's ready to compete can do for a QBs perceived ability. I've been saying that Stafford is a borderline HoF QB even with the Lions and that if he had spent his career with a franchise that wasn't a complete dumpster fire he'd be in the top 5 QB discussion annually. He leaves the Lions and immediately makes the Super Bowl.

Russell Wilson is at least as talented as Matthew Stafford right now.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Buying low on Wilson right now would be an incredibly wise move. The guy had a fucked up hand all year, but we know he’s healthy again and when healthy he’s one of the most accurate passers in the game.

I think a 1st and Trask is the starting point.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm Buying low on Wilson right now would be an incredibly wise move. The guy had a fucked up hand all year, but we know he’s healthy again and when healthy he’s one of the most accurate passers in the game.

I think 2 1st is the starting point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

contract: Seattle has to eat $26m. could be a lot worse. it's not good, to be clear. but if they're staring down a full rebuild, it's a year with an ouchie and they move on.

contract pt 2: New team will be giving Wilson a new, gigantic deal upon receiving him. Team must be able to swing that the first season.

Wilson is coming off his first real injury. He's likely 100% as we speak. Despite his mobile style of play, he's a healthy player historically and aging shouldn't be a huge concern.
► Show Spoiler
Random thought: we tend to attribute a lot of Wilson's success to his "backyard" approach to playing. the same style largely leads to his career 8.3% sack percentage (vs Brady, 4.6% career.) and high fumble rate (87 fumbles in 158 games). but as entertaining as it is, it's still less effective than delivering balls in rhythm and utilizing good protection. Something you'd want to see if you're hitching your wagon to 34 y/o and older Wilson. Wilson is elite in clean pockets. Is it possible to get him to play in there?
► Show Spoiler
PFF goes on to describe the conundrum of his playstyle very well.
The Seahawks quarterback is one of the best passers in the league at avoiding turnover-worthy plays. Since the start of 2018, only Aaron Rodgers has a lower turnover-worthy play rate (1.9%) than the 2.3% Wilson can boast. Over the same period, Wilson leads the league in big-time throw rate (7.7%) by almost a full percentage point over Mahomes in second place.

Wilson is outstanding at the extremes of the game — making big plays and avoiding catastrophic errors — but the key is the smaller errors. The sacks he is personally responsible for are significant negative plays that are difficult to parse out from a quarterback’s statistical performance. And the tendency to invite pressure makes Wilson the architect of his biggest obstacle in the way of becoming the best quarterback in the game.

The key question for Seattle is whether this is a style he has leaned into for the sake of comfort or whether it is a necessary part of his game because he isn’t 6-foot-5. If Wilson just feels more at home in the chaotic environment of plays outside of structure, then he is voluntarily contributing to a reduction in his overall efficiency as a quarterback. He is remarkably able to do so while making a huge volume of big plays and avoiding turnovers, but it does cost him in terms of overall production and ultimately lowers his ceiling as a quarterback.
Last edited by Snake on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

It would be hard not to listen to a Seahawks offer.

That said, I agree with many of my colleagues in this thread, in that I don't think his game is going to improve with age. What always made him great was his ability to keep plays alive while his receivers ran away from coverage on deep routes. One could argue that this is exactly what this offense needs, but one could also argue that his ability to keep those plays alive is decreasing every game.

If I were Licht, I'd call them up to check their asking price, then have a good think about it.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:30 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm Buying low on Wilson right now would be an incredibly wise move. The guy had a fucked up hand all year, but we know he’s healthy again and when healthy he’s one of the most accurate passers in the game.

I think 2 1st is the starting point.
From what I’ve read, most analysts grade Trask similar to the first tier of QBs in this draft. So I’m assuming his value isn’t far off a late first at the moment.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I'd be very interested in Wilson. His downfield accuracy has always been incredible and even at his age, he has escapability we've never had before. Plus, even with Smith in there we still have a better line than he's ever seen.

My two questions are this...

One, how open is our window? We have a lot of looming FA's and a lot of guys who are aging out and in need of replacement. If we send that package for Russ, what kind of roster can we realistically build around him and his huge salary.

Two, Is there any chance we can put Trask in there in place of a pick?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:54 am

Believe it big dog. Houston is gonna make whoever trades for Watson pay very heavily for the privilege. They're gonna settle for no less than to Herschel Walker this thing
This was the biggest offer that was reported, but the rumor was multiple teams offered 1st round picks. This one was sweet!

Report: Texans rejected Deshaun Watson offer of three first-round picks and three third-round picks before draft
Posted by Mike Florio on September 12, 2021, 2:36 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ore-draft/
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty crazy to turn that offer down unless it’s the Patriots and those picks are gonna be real late every year. IMO of course.

I also haven’t a clue about the dead cap situation.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 pm Also, look at Stafford if you want to see what going to a team that's ready to compete can do for a QBs perceived ability. I've been saying that Stafford is a borderline HoF QB even with the Lions and that if he had spent his career with a franchise that wasn't a complete dumpster fire he'd be in the top 5 QB discussion annually. He leaves the Lions and immediately makes the Super Bowl.

Matt Ryan has 10k more yards than Stafford. If Stafford doesn't win a Super Bowl with this super team. He probably won't get in.
Snake

Post by Snake »

That should tell how important YARDS YARDS YARDS are.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:26 pm
The Outsider wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 pm Also, look at Stafford if you want to see what going to a team that's ready to compete can do for a QBs perceived ability. I've been saying that Stafford is a borderline HoF QB even with the Lions and that if he had spent his career with a franchise that wasn't a complete dumpster fire he'd be in the top 5 QB discussion annually. He leaves the Lions and immediately makes the Super Bowl.

Matt Ryan has 10k more yards than Stafford. If Stafford doesn't win a Super Bowl with this super team. He probably won't get in.
Matt Ryan has also played a year longer than Stafford and has only missed 3 games in his career. Stafford had 3 seasons where he played 3, 8, and 10 games respectively. He also played for the fucking Lions.

But, considering that wasn't at all the point of the post that you quoted I'll finish by saying that Stafford just had the best season of his career at the age of 33.
Dread

Post by Dread »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:02 am Nope. Not making that deal. You Homers are fucking delusional if you think the Yucks are going to catch lightning in a bottle twice, back-to-back no less.

Now I remembered why I hate you :)
Dread

Post by Dread »

Why trade for Russell Wilson when you can just re-sign Blaine Gabbert for cheap and keep all the draft picks? :P
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Dread wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:31 am

Now I remembered why I hate you :)

The only things Pete enjoys are misery and xenophobia.