Reviewing Trask’s Tape

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nobody

Reviewing Trask’s Tape

Post by Nobody »

Alright, given he’s our QBotF, I’m going to sit down and watch his tape and look at his metrics to evaluate him as a prospect.

I’m going to look at A&M, Alabama, OS, Arkansas, and his final preseason game.

The first 3 because those were top 30 defenses NCAA (everyone else was absolutely awful…really down year for SEC defenses, in part because the QBs in the SEC). Arkansas because everything was going right. OS because everything was going wrong. Preseason because that’s the latest NFL snaps.

For an on-schedule QB like Trask, I’m looking at/for the following traits:

1) How often is the ball getting out quick and on time to his first read (or 2nd when it’s a high/low or leverage concept that he has to read out)? This tells me (a) how well does he diagnose coverage presnap so he knows where he’s going immediately post-snap, (b) how well he understands defender leverage, (c) how willing/able he is to throw with anticipation, and (d) how capable he is of “throwing somebody open.”

The on-schedule NFL passing game is about diagnosing and understanding windows/lanes/trajectory and being able to (both in arm talent and courage) fit the ball into tight spaces.

Seeing receivers running wide open because they’re out-talenting the opposition and getting the ball to them in the kind of space you’ll rarely see in the NFL doesn’t tell you much at all about a prospect.

I’m hoping I mostly see the former rather than the latter.

2) When he does have to go through progressions to read 3/4 (again, hopefully not too terribly often; see 1), does he possess great pocket feel. Can he climb the pocket and slide left/right while maintaining the cognitive workspace of downfield progressions or is it a mess of immediately going from on-schedule to off-schedule because he’s now actively watching the rush?

3) Is he accurate, does he possess the ability to throw with the touch/drive-combo required to be prolific in the intermediate game, and how is his ball placement overall (on boundary 9s/Corner routes is the ball “in the bucket” and on tight window throws can he put the ball back shoulder and/or low/away when it needs to be)?

4) General mechanics; release efficiency/stroke, footwork, et al.

5) Any evidence of being able to reliably drive the ball, with accuracy, on Deep Comeback/Out.

6) If absolutely required to go off-schedule, what does that look like? Can he evade protection failures, make plays with his feet, throw off-platform at all?

=========

Alright, going to start this later today with the A&M game. I’ll put my thoughts on that game as I watch it.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Re: Reviewing Trask’s Tape

Post by MJW »

I'm interested in #5 the most. Can he move subtly in the pocket without losing focus to buy the extra millisecond? When he does have to scramble, is he keeping his eyes up? Does he re-set his feet, and does he need to in order to throw accurately?

I feel pretty good about him if he's given a clean pocket, standing tall and playing JUGS machine. But games are won when protection breaks down. Very few successful quarterbacks lack the ability to "make jazz."
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think you mean 6 now (I had to change this a bit)!

I actually put them in the order of most important to least important for my assessment.

For a QB like Mahomes/Allen/Jackson/Elway? Sure. You’re going to rearrange those.

For a Brady/Montana/Manning/Brees/Burrow?

That order will give you the most information.

Receivers are not “open-open” in the NFL. They’re almost always “covered-open.” The windows are vanishingly small. If a QB is going off-schedule a lot that means one of 3 things:

1) They fail at the cognitive aspect of the game.

2) They lack the courage/confidence to make the tight-window throws they’ll have to make.

3) Protection has catastrophically broken down.

If it’s not 3 (and that will be obvious), then it’s 1 or 2. I see that on tape and I blink when it comes to NCAA QB prospects (particularly the on-schedule variety).

If you look at this assessment criteria above and evaluate Burrow’s NCAA tape, it’s trivial to project him. His LSU tape is almost the gold standard there.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Your work up for last NE season Tom Brady was pretty accurate, so I look forward to this
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Looking forward to the analysis.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I wanna read this as well
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, first half vs A&M. The way I'm going to do this is just comment of plays of note and put a + or - and then the number associated with the suite of traits above.

+1/+3 High/low read Arrow under 11 yard Out vs Man. Gets ball out on time to the Out against very tight coverage and its absolutely on the money and should have been caught (dropped). The Arrows was wide open, but first read was the Out and he didn't come off of it despite there being solid coverage (but it was still available. Perfect throw on an 11 yard Out that has to be thrown with anticipation and precision.

+6 3rd and 6 and he bails right (pocket was ok but NT did get decent push...but this is a great pocket). They're in Zone but he's confident he can get it. He doesn't slide. He puts his head down and drives for 5, putting them in FG range and nearly picking it up. They pick up the first down after so this enabled them to go for it on 4th.

+4 Capable ball-handling mechanics (snap to throw, snap to play-action from SG to throw) and off-platform release for Bubble/Tunnel/Smoke Screen game to boundary (which we obviously feature).

-1 Perfect pocket so no post-snap processing pressure. A&M is either in Match Quarters or 1 Man Free (its impossible to tell due to broadcast). Regardless, the boundary Post he elects to throw to was matched and bracketed with a Safety over top. This was a Turnover-Worthy-Play...with absolutely zero pressure. Should have been picked. This is not the kind of snap I want to see (so far I've seen nothing resembling the kind of pressure and duress he'll face in the NFL).

+1/+4/-3 Again, either Match Quarters or 1 Man Free (Hole under FS). Looks like Match Quarters. Snap to throw is too immediate and broadcast doesn't help. Regardless, this is immediate read of boundary defender leverage and efficient stroke to get the ball out to Quick Slant. Ball placement is not good though; back hip and it didn't need to be (eg you'll throw back hip if you have to fit it in because of Low Hole defender leverage...didn't need to in this case).

+1/+3/+6 - Shallow Mesh concept (Crossers from opposite directions) against Match Quarters and a game off the right side by the iDL and Edge. It wins quick through the B gap so this is the first case of pressure here. He has to pedal back/left and completely open up in order to give him some space to get the ball off and a moment for the under defender to declare which Crosser they're taking (and if there is a good handoff). Ball is out and to the correct player and with perfect ball placement and Trask absorbs the hit.

+1/+3 High/low read Whip under 11 yard Out vs Cover 6 in Redzone Tight. Gets ball out on time against very tight coverage and its absolutely on the money and should have been caught in-bounds (didn't get feet inbounds). Again, perfect throw on an 11 yard Out that has to be thrown with anticipation and precision and this is Redzone Tight so very important to be able to make this throw. Also, there was a flash of pressure coming from the Left Edge beating the RT w/ an inside move through B gap.

+1/+3/ Reads Man or Match and gets the ball to his dominant player high and away from defender so only his guy can make the play. Good read, perfect ball placement. 6.

+3/+5/+6 This is play-action, fake Bubble Screen to Trips Right, throw to Wheel against Match Quarters. This is a designed play to get that Wheel open due to defense manipulation. The Wheel isn't open (the CB doesn't bite and matches the #2 vert as they should). With iDL pressure bearing down on him due to the play development, he throws and absolute dime of a back shoulder high and away throw to the covered Wheel route to give his guy a chance. Receiver can't stay in bounds (could have), but this is a high-level-of-difficulty ball placement throw with pressure in his face.

+4 Again, ball-handling on snap to play-action to Smoke Screen is good enough.

+1/+3 Another multiple Shallow Cross concept (3 this time) against Match Quarters and its a bust (predictably...good gameplanning). This is less about the read (there is no pressure whatsoever...no duress on this snap) and more about the accuracy/ball placement on the RB's Cross. A lot of guys put this ball back hip or pad, but he seems to do a good job of ball placement on horizontal throws to either fit it in or allow RAC (as he does here). Short range accuracy is important in Arian's offense for its abundance of boundary Screens and throws to the RB.

-1 Designed throwback left to Pitts on play-action Sprint Right. (a) He does not possess the arm strength to make this off-platform throw at all and (b) this was a hugely Turnover-Worthy-Play. If the CB gets his head around (and he had forever to do so...in the NFL this is a pick), its an easy Pick and takes 3 off the board (this was Redzone Tight). Super ill-advised. It wasn't there.

+1/+2/+3/+6 They're Zone Blitzing (dropping Edge on Trask's left and replacing with 2nd level DB off his right) and playing Match Quarters behind. They've got a Match Quarters' killer on w/ Pitts running a Whip on that left side w/ Toney running a Drive route over top of it from the other side. The RG has a terrible pass set and loses through A gap and you've got the DB coming B gap same side. Trask feels it and is backing up the whole time as he reads this out and makes this throw. Though Toney is almost surely his #2 here (off Pitts), I'm still giving him 2+ for this because (a) its on the other side of the formation (Trips, Pitts was single) and (b) there was a fair amount going on here w/ iDL + 2nd level blitz and he has to read the matching interior defenders to see if Toney's drive route wins inside leverage and Pitts' Whip pulls the #2 defender on the opposite side (as its designed to do so the window to Toney's route over it is vacated). Off-platform throw + read + accuracy. 6.

-2 Doesn't come off his primary read quickly enough here. Holds the ball and stares down concept to his right (he loves throwing right) when the underneath coverage on his left has a breakdown (again, this looks like Match Quarters) against that concept and it creates a rub for the RB Arrow route. Clearly his #1/2 on right side concept was covered. He just doesn't come off of them to get to the checkdown. Ends up throwing it away as pocket breaks down due to his holding the ball. Slow going through progressions and misses opportunity here.

+1/+3 Again, multiple Crossing Route bust vs Match Quarters. He identifies it and puts the ball in the spot for RAC.

-2 I'm seeing a bit of a tendency to be slow in coming off of primary progressions. This offense features concepts on both sides of the field. I don't know how much of "a thing" it is, but it really looks like he wants to get the ball to Pitts or Toney and depends upon them to win and/or a bust vs Match Quarters (which...this A&M defense may have been "good" per se...but they aren't showing me much here...not consistent pressure and bad 2nd level processing). He needed to come off the concept to his right and get back to his left a lot quicker. He just stays with #1/2 waaaay too long and almost gives up a QB Sack because of it (throws it away but never gets to his left).

+4 A couple good ball-handling/efficient stroke plays with play-action > plant > Hitch and another boundary WR Screen. His footwork, ball-handling, and efficiency of release/stroke look plenty up to the task of handling these concepts.

+1/+3 Immediately gets the ball to the Arrow against the 2 side of Cover 6 in Redzone Tight as defender leverage tells you straight-away the pick play will work (and it does). Ball placement is good for RAC.

-1/-6 I'm seeing this propensity by him to "fade" in the pocket. He's moving backwards too often...just kind of indecisive footwork or willingness to retreat in the pocket and then throw from a not-great platform. I don't love seeing this. Here he's got Doubles Left w/ Toney on a Post and Go between the hashes from that left Slot. They're (again) in Match Quarters and there isn't a concept on the opposite side that will prevent this from basically turning into 2 Deep Coverage + the CB matching Toney's #2 vert. He basically throws this into triple coverage while just kind of retreating in the pocket (the RG loses, but its not a terrible loss...certainly not catastrophic such that it would warrant this kind of lazy retreat). Results in an easy pick that gives A&M great field position in a game the Gators were up 21-17.

This is a "Winston-like play." Just inexplicable. Clearly forcing a ball to a particular receiver, coverage-be-damned. He gets away with it because of a Personal Foul, but catastrophic moment of the game to do it as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Alright, I'm 1 play through the 3rd. Gotta be done for now.

Mixed bag so far. I see several good and transferrable traits, I see a fair number of things I don't love, I see some inconsistency, I see some instances of play that are alarming. Given the results of his performance and where A&M was in the defensive standings, I expected a much_much_better defense than this. I'm not impressed with this A&M defense at all; not in pass rush and certainly not on the back end. A lot of these snaps are relatively clean pockets (particularly by NFL standards) and they play a ton of Match Quarters and they don't particularly play it well (and the Gators gameplan was perfectly fitted to attack Match Quarters).
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Someone on the Bucs Reddit had posted this video about Trask. Seems like the same games Nobody selected were used for the examples:

Kind of echoed many positives and negatives that I expressed pre-draft, too.

Almost all scouting reports have issues with his footwork and ability to drive the ball.

I thought that those things were coachable, but it was going to be a project. I think his lack of any practice time last year is the biggest reason why we are so open to look behind door number 2.

Excited to read the rest of your breakdown.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The weaker your arm, the better your anticipation has to be.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:58 pm The weaker your arm, the better your anticipation has to be.
Arm strength and 40 time are easily the most overrated attributes for football players, but you're not wrong. The more limited you are on certain throws, the better understanding of leverage and timing you have to have and the more control over ball placement you must have. And you need to know where you're going with the ball presnap. Manning and Brees are quintessential QBs here (Brady the same, but Brady dusts them both in ability to drive the ball).
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:36 pm Someone on the Bucs Reddit had posted this video about Trask. Seems like the same games Nobody selected were used for the examples:

Kind of echoed many positives and negatives that I expressed pre-draft, too.

Almost all scouting reports have issues with his footwork and ability to drive the ball.

I thought that those things were coachable, but it was going to be a project. I think his lack of any practice time last year is the biggest reason why we are so open to look behind door number 2.

Excited to read the rest of your breakdown.
Interesting this reviewer chose those games. My guess is part of that is because they're readily available on the net. But they also coincide with the other aspects I spoke about it in the lead post.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Nobody wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:32 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:58 pm The weaker your arm, the better your anticipation has to be.
Arm strength and 40 time are easily the most overrated attributes for football players, but you're not wrong. The more limited you are on certain throws, the better understanding of leverage and timing you have to have and the more control over ball placement you must have. And you need to know where you're going with the ball presnap. Manning and Brees are quintessential QBs here (Brady the same, but Brady dusts them both in ability to drive the ball).
Browne, in the video posted, talks about arm strength vs ability to drive the ball and how that impacts the types of throws you do on certain routes. He even mentions Brady by saying Brady never had the best pure arm strength, but could always drive the ball really well. Also, neither prevent you from throwing deep passes, they may just limit your maximum effective range of said deep ball.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, more A&M snaps after the pick in the early 3rd.

+4/-5 Again, ball handling good on Bubble Screens et al, but sometimes he just does not drive the ball to the receiver on these WR Screens. At the NFL level, you cannot just toss it out there. It has to come with quick handling > lightning release > velocity. The longer it takes to get to the WR, the longer recovery time you give the defense. That could mean anything from limiting RAC, to creating play loss from play win, to calamity (ball getting jumped). Its clearly not a case of him being unable to do it, its just an uneveness of footwork and effort to achieve velocity.

+2 Progression 1st > 2nd > climb w/ Edge rusher winning > 3rd > decisively exit pocket north for 3 yards when nothing is available. Good sequence.

+1/+3 Empty 3x2 against Match Quarters. Recognizes coverage and recognizes leverage relationship immediately when #2 wins against inside CB with vert and absolutely throws it in the bucket for a 37 yard TD on a 9 route. Footwork is crisp and decisive, ball is up and out with efficiency. This is perfect.

-1/-2 Gators are Bunch Left w/ another Mesh concept on and RB Flare route under it (this looks like the exact same concept from earlier). This time they're facing 2 Zone rather than Match Quarters. When challenged with a new coverage, Trask doesn't respond well. He clearly misidentifies the coverage presnap and his cognitive loop is fried afterward. He could have hit one of the Crossers immediately for 4 and change (assuming tackle is made), but due to that misidentification, he hitches and polishes the ball and fails to decisively escape left (there was all kinds of room because A&M "executed" a brutally sloppy game there with the DL) and pick up yards on the ground. Coverage read and pocket feel failure here leads to a Sack.

-4 Bad footwork on another perimeter Screen turns a likely play win (on 2nd and 16 after the Sack) into an incompletion and play loss. Checkdown later and its a punt late 3rd in a one score game (drive stalled entirely due to QB play).

-5 Massive window to Slant and he just doesn't drive the ball at all. Its a completion and where it needs to be but it could have been catch and RAC but he just takes so much off of the throw that the defense can recover. Its subtle, but he will randomly take a fair bit off the ball on short throws and that is a consequential thing at the next level. This kind of massive window Slant doesn't exist at the next level. And on the rare occasion that you do have a chunky window against Zone, you have to hammer that ball in there and with ball placement to give your guy a chance for RAC. This isn't an arm strength issue. He's already shown plenty of these throws that he drives. This is a random "take MPH off the ball (presumably to ensure accuracy/placement?)" event in his suite of throws. And its not a little off...its a noticeable amount.

-5 Again, Arrow route to the RB that was outleveraging the defender and should have trivially been a drilled throw with easy RAC turns into a dangerous throw (window nearly snaps shut because of the MPH taken off of it) and causes the RB to have to break a tackle that the defender shouldn't have remotely been in position to attempt. This random MPH taken off of Arrows and Slants et al and the random footwork that robs him of velocity and accuracy needs to be taken out of his game. This is a positive play in output, but this is not good QBing in terms of process getting there. This is 100 % on playcall and RB forced missed tackle and the QB play nearly screwing it up.

+2/-3 Clean pocket for days and days and days due to 6 in protection and RB chip. He goes through his progressions and doesn't panic. However, his 3rd read is where the ball goes (late Crossing route after Zone has been stretched) and he almost misfires on it. Ball is high and away on an unmolested, wide open throw which leads to the receiver having to bat it and catch it afterward. Near incompletion. This has to be on the money every time.

+1/+3/-5 Pitts is 1v1 on 3rd and 5 from A&M's 25 (so FG range). Trask identifies it and throws a back shoulder Fade from the far hash. The throw just doesn't have the requisite MPH on it but the ball placement is precise. It just barely gets to the grass and is trapped; incomplete. It should be pads to knees and with pace. He just has some mechanical issues in his lower half; (a) he opens up too much and loses a lot of torque and (b) he doesn't get on top of his front leg and post up. There is just a huge amount of velocity left on the table due to his lower half being not in play in a lot of these throws. This is fixable...but there is no guarantee that such a fix doesn't come with cost (eg now he has a new throwing rhythm so how does the accuracy/placement/trajectory resolve itself?).

Turns this into a FG in a game that is ultimately a 3 point loss. Costly miss.

+++++++++++++++++

Alright, that is it for now. I'll look at the final 7:50 later.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:35 pm

Browne, in the video posted, talks about arm strength vs ability to drive the ball and how that impacts the types of throws you do on certain routes. He even mentions Brady by saying Brady never had the best pure arm strength, but could always drive the ball really well. Also, neither prevent you from throwing deep passes, they may just limit your maximum effective range of said deep ball.

Which isn't really a consequential deal at all; "maximum effective range of deep ball."

The real problem is the Deep Comeback, the Backshoulder Fade, the Deep Out, the Skinny Post, the velocity + ball placement on Arrows/Slants/Crossing Routes/perimeter Screens for RAC.

That is where lack of MPH impacts the play win/play loss formula. Brady could throw every single one of those trivially because his lower half + stroke were so synergistic and efficient. He generated huge torque in on-platform throws. Way more than the minimum torque required to make all of those throws.

This is where Trask (at least his A&M tape) has problems. He clearly does not have a big arm (dead average to just south of it). He doesn't have the arm Brady had at Michigan. But the main problem isn't the arm, its the lack of work of the bottom half and the resultant lack of synergy, efficiency, consistency that yields throw-in, throw-out.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:51 pm This is quite possibly the silliest thread ever. Trask is trash but continue to waste your time.

However, do enjoy the sweet irony that his throwing motion is as bad as Fatwich yet has a weaker arm.
What were your thoughts about Tom Brady when he was picked in 2000?

Oh, Happy Birthday (a couple of days early). Just in case I forget to tell you on Friday.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Arm strength is only overrated if it's all you have. But if you can't stick a deep out or a skinny post with consistency, the coverage doesn't have to account for them, and everything gets harder.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion Trask has enough that it won't be a huge issue.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:26 pm

Arm strength is only overrated if it's all you have. But if you can't stick a deep out or a skinny post with consistency, the coverage doesn't have to account for them, and everything gets harder.

I'm conflicted in disagreeing with you here because I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Here is my claim (and you can let me know if you disagree with it):

"Reducing the traits necessary for a QB to be successful in the NFL down to x number, among that x, arm strength's value is considerably lower than other traits while arm strength is simultaneously disproportionately heralded as essential."

That is what I'm saying.

Something else I would say is that "arm talent" does not equal "arm strength."
BLT

Post by BLT »

See, but that's the thing with Trask. He can throw a ball hard and far. But, he really does not drive the ball well at all on those deep outs. After watching him I came away feeling like his arm looks weaker than I know it is.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, last 7:50 of Trask vs A&M.

+1/+3/+6 2x2 Shallow Dig vs Match Quarters and a bit of a messy pocket (LT doesn't do great against Edge up the arc and there is a bit of iDL push) so its an off-platform throw. Its on time and on the money to Toney to catch-and-run.

+1/+3/-4 Bunch Left and Toney is on a Drive route from the Bunch off of play-action w/ a 9 route clearing out. The play-action plus the depth of the Drive route screws up the Match principles/communication and its absolutely wide open. The pocket is not that messy, but again (like many times before), his footwork is terrible and he's just kind of drifting (I'm giving him a -4 here rather than a +6 because it didn't need to be off-platform...this is poor pocket management and footwork). But, we've got an off-platform throw that is on the money, on time for Toney to catch-and-run.

-4 Pretty poor QB Sneak that doesn't convert.

2 x catastrophic screw-ups with A&M Coverage leave basically Flare routes into the Flat completely uncovered. This isn't even gradable from a QB perspective. Again, this A&M defense is not good. Maybe they're good against the run game, but they are not a good pass defense in terms of assignment soundness, ability to cover, and pass rush win rate. And they're vanilla_as_all_hell.

-1 And his final play is against 1 Man Free where he throws a Slant to Toney from a clean pocket that is a Turnover-Worthy-Play (could easily have been picked). Shouldn't have gone there with the ball.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, after the A&M game (I'll update/course correct my evaluation as I move through these games...I think I'll look at Bama next as that is supposed to be a winner), the below is my assessment. But first, a message from our sponsors about projecting players.

This A&M defense while ranked well is not good. They are ridiculously vanilla in terms of defending the passing game (some of that may be what the Gators did formation-wise and personnel-wise to them). They play a stupid abundance of Match Quarters and they don't play it particularly well. Then they play some 1 Man Free w/ Safety over Low Hole. Then they play the very stray 2 Zone. In Redzone Tight, they play Cover 6 like everyone else.

Their Pass Rush Win Rate by their front 4 is awful individually. They don't get a lot of pressure. They don't process or cover well on the backend. Truth be told, when I saw what he did in this game, I was expecting a fiendish A&M defense or a calamity of Pass Protection for the Gators. Neither were true. He should have carved them up. They should have won this game without much problem.

And, in part, this is what makes projecting QBs difficult sometimes and what makes projecting certain coverage players difficult (I give you Devin White). If the coverage scheme you're playing in or the defense you're trying to decipher is utterly undemanding and in-no-way is an analog for the cognitive load and complexity you'll be enduring at the next level...how can you project that player based on what they did? It becomes very, very difficult.

Alright, my thoughts on him in each of the 6 categories (see lead post for reference) and some Scientific Wild Ass Guess grades for each:

1) I can only give him a C here because (a) this is just so trivially easy to tell/know what they're in and the gameplan was perfect for it and (b) he had multiple catastrophic errors that either were or should have been gamestate damaging directly related to (1). You just can't have 3-4 catastrophically poor plays related to 1st read in a game. Misreading a coverage or forcing a throw into the teeth of coverage (despite it) is disastrous for a game and a QB's resume. If you take out 2 or so of these, and I'd give him a B (ish). As is, can't get there.

2) This is a borderline incomplete because overwhelmingly there were easy 1st reads and/or schemed perimeter Screens that made up the bulk of this game. He only had to go deep into his progressions a few times. His pocket feel seems ok but certainly not notably good (in fact, you could make a case that its not that great and it is causal for his messy mechanics in clean pockets). I'd probably go with an "incomplete B-" here.

3) B+ here. Some of his throws were absolutely elite. Overwhelmingly, the easy ones were exactly where they should be. He just has an issue marrying footwork and stroke that sometimes steals his accuracy/ball placement and velocity from him. This should be able to be ironed out. If it can be, you're looking at an extremely precise QB. This area more than anything else is what scouts would look at him and project "yup...this kid can do it at the next level."

4) I'm going to separate these two. Ball-handling and efficiency of his stroke/release is a B. Footwork and marrying the entirety of platform + stroke? That is easily a (very charitable) D.

5) I have to go D+ here though part of this is married to (4) above. Its not staggeringly bad, but its certainly below the equator. If he can iron out his bottom half and marry it to his upper half, that could upgrade this to a B- to B. Presently, I don't see evidence that he's going to be able to reliably throw tight window intermediate/boundary throws that need to be on a line (Deep Comeback and Backshoulder Fade) or that need to marry just enough loft + zip (eg Seam throws to covered TE's WR where you're throwing it over the ear of a LBer). I also don't see evidence that he is going to be able to hammer Redzone Tight throws with ball placement in the stupidly tiny windows down there in the NFL.

6) He's off-platform so often in this game (mostly when he doesn't need to be) that is pretty clear that he can make throws without a solid base! He evaded a few poor Pass Pro reps that yielded losses. He also escaped and made a play with his feet. I think he's probably a B type player here. He isn't going to Sprint Right or escape up and out and go parallel to the line of scrimmage and dazzle you with a Mahomes/Allen type off-platform, off-script play...but there is enough there to feel like he can make plays in the pocket when things are messy and the lower half isn't involved in the throw.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:32 pm Alright, after the A&M game (I'll update/course correct my evaluation as I move through these games...I think I'll look at Bama next as that is supposed to be a winner), the below is my assessment. But first, a message from our sponsors about projecting players.

This A&M defense while ranked well is not good. They are ridiculously vanilla in terms of defending the passing game (some of that may be what the Gators did formation-wise and personnel-wise to them). They play a stupid abundance of Match Quarters and they don't play it particularly well. Then they play some 1 Man Free w/ Safety over Low Hole. Then they play the very stray 2 Zone. In Redzone Tight, they play Cover 6 like everyone else.

Their Pass Rush Win Rate by their front 4 is awful individually. They don't get a lot of pressure. They don't process or cover well on the backend. Truth be told, when I saw what he did in this game, I was expecting a fiendish A&M defense or a calamity of Pass Protection for the Gators. Neither were true. He should have carved them up. They should have won this game without much problem.

And, in part, this is what makes projecting QBs difficult sometimes and what makes projecting certain coverage players difficult (I give you Devin White). If the coverage scheme you're playing in or the defense you're trying to decipher is utterly undemanding and in-no-way is an analog for the cognitive load and complexity you'll be enduring at the next level...how can you project that player based on what they did? It becomes very, very difficult.

Alright, my thoughts on him in each of the 6 categories (see lead post for reference) and some Scientific Wild Ass Guess grades for each:

1) I can only give him a C here because (a) this is just so trivially easy to tell/know what they're in and the gameplan was perfect for it and (b) he had multiple catastrophic errors that either were or should have been gamestate damaging directly related to (1). You just can't have 3-4 catastrophically poor plays related to 1st read in a game. Misreading a coverage or forcing a throw into the teeth of coverage (despite it) is disastrous for a game and a QB's resume. If you take out 2 or so of these, and I'd give him a B (ish). As is, can't get there.

2) This is a borderline incomplete because overwhelmingly there were easy 1st reads and/or schemed perimeter Screens that made up the bulk of this game. He only had to go deep into his progressions a few times. His pocket feel seems ok but certainly not notably good (in fact, you could make a case that its not that great and it is causal for his messy mechanics in clean pockets). I'd probably go with an "incomplete B-" here.

3) B+ here. Some of his throws were absolutely elite. Overwhelmingly, the easy ones were exactly where they should be. He just has an issue marrying footwork and stroke that sometimes steals his accuracy/ball placement and velocity from him. This should be able to be ironed out. If it can be, you're looking at an extremely precise QB. This area more than anything else is what scouts would look at him and project "yup...this kid can do it at the next level."

4) I'm going to separate these two. Ball-handling and efficiency of his stroke/release is a B. Footwork and marrying the entirety of platform + stroke? That is easily a (very charitable) D.

5) I have to go D+ here though part of this is married to (4) above. Its not staggeringly bad, but its certainly below the equator. If he can iron out his bottom half and marry it to his upper half, that could upgrade this to a B- to B. Presently, I don't see evidence that he's going to be able to reliably throw tight window intermediate/boundary throws that need to be on a line (Deep Comeback and Backshoulder Fade) or that need to marry just enough loft + zip (eg Seam throws to covered TE's WR where you're throwing it over the ear of a LBer). I also don't see evidence that he is going to be able to hammer Redzone Tight throws with ball placement in the stupidly tiny windows down there in the NFL.

6) He's off-platform so often in this game (mostly when he doesn't need to be) that is pretty clear that he can make throws without a solid base! He evaded a few poor Pass Pro reps that yielded losses. He also escaped and made a play with his feet. I think he's probably a B type player here. He isn't going to Sprint Right or escape up and out and go parallel to the line of scrimmage and dazzle you with a Mahomes/Allen type off-platform, off-script play...but there is enough there to feel like he can make plays in the pocket when things are messy and the lower half isn't involved in the throw.
Okay... so his final grade based on your grades works out to a C+ based on the below...

Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

BLT wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:02 pm

See, but that's the thing with Trask. He can throw a ball hard and far. But, he really does not drive the ball well at all on those deep outs. After watching him I came away feeling like his arm looks weaker than I know it is.
After reading this thread and some other evaluations on Trask I have come to the conclusion that his 'arm strength' is more than enough but his mechanics and total throwing motion are not in sync. If he can correct the mechanical issues and get his torso and lower body into the throw consistently he will be OK. Now, that is not me saying that he will be OK. However, he is different from a QB that is all in sync and still can't make the throws like say (Brian Griese - under Gruden).
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:40 am
Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:32 pm Alright, after the A&M game (I'll update/course correct my evaluation as I move through these games...I think I'll look at Bama next as that is supposed to be a winner), the below is my assessment. But first, a message from our sponsors about projecting players.

Okay... so his final grade based on your grades works out to a C+ based on the below...

Thanks for collating that.

C+ is about right. These attributes aren’t all equal. There should be some significant weighting toward processing and then accuracy/ball placement.

I’d say on the whole that somewhere between C+ and B- is a QB prospect (after one game of evaluation) is about right.

That may well change after subsequent review but my guess is not by a ton. I’ll get to the Bama sometime soon.
Nano

Post by Nano »

You may drop him to an F after the OU game lol. That was his worst game at college.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Seems to me, what he did in training camp and practice all year long would be more relevant.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:46 pm Seems to me, what he did in training camp and practice all year long would be more relevant.
Let us know when the tape drops.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:24 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:46 pm Seems to me, what he did in training camp and practice all year long would be more relevant.

Can the preseason game tapes be had. Even then I would think he was put into positions where the Bucs could study how he reacted to adversity.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:27 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:24 am

Can the preseason game tapes be had. Even then I would think he was put into positions where the Bucs could study how he reacted to adversity.
I waiver back and forth on preseason tape being indicative of how he would perform. On one hand, it is the NFL but on the other, most of the people he was playing with and against were bagging groceries after the preseason. I guess from the standpoint of did he make the correct read it would be valuable but not from the results of the play as much.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

MDB, see the lead post.

I'm going to look at his final preseason game. As to the relevance of preseason play (particularly PSG4)...well, I'll mostly be looking at it to see how well his throwing platform, footwork, and stroke are consistently married and how that translates to consistent accuracy and the ability to drive the football on throws that require it. Its not going to tell me a whole lot more than that. As mentioned above, the guys he is playing against are overwhelmingly going to be out of football or practice squad (at best). There won't be any gameplanning. Defenses will be ultra-vanilla.

So you can tease out a little bit (as I mentioned), but not a ton.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, Trask vs Alabama SEC Championship.

+1/-1/+3/-5 They're 3x2 vs 3 Zone w/ 5 under (only 3 are rushing). The Doubles side features motion to a wide Stack so this is basically 2v2 against the deep 1/3 and Flat defender. Good recognition of coverage relationships if not actual coverage (whether its Match Quarters or Man or 3 Zone here doesn't matter...its going to look the same post-snap). Its a High/Low w/ 11 yard Out over Quick Out. See that +1/-1 above? He's a hair late in his read here. The ball comes out late to the Quickout (he reads the deep 1/3 defender as outside leverage - so no go on the 11 yard Out - and the Flat defender inside - so yes on Quickout). Its well after the break. The ball is accurate, but it needs to be out much more quickly and this ball needs to be thrown with more zip. The defender fell down on the break so no threat to the ball, but in the NFL, a boundary Quickout thrown late and without a ton of RPMs is in trouble. Bare minimum, you turn what could have been catch-and-RAC into just a few yards gained (as happens here).

+1/-4 Read Option and Trask Keeps. Correct read. However, he fumbles the keep and almost gives the ball away.

+1/+3 3rd and 6 and they've got 3x1 w/ Pitts Wing w/ Doubles. Bama is in Cover 2 (2 Read over the single side - boundary CB is matching vert - and 2 Zone other side). Pitts is on a simple Post and its effectively 1v1 vs the Hole defender. Trask recognizes it and gets the ball there with decent enough accuracy (not great placement...tighter coverage and this placement threatens a PBU). 1st down.

+2/-6 They're 3x1 (Tight Bunch Right) and Bama is again rushing 3 and playing 3 Zone behind. Nothing out there for Trask after he goes through progressions and he feels his RT not have a great set against the Edge's rush up the arc. He wisely escapes north after his, tucks and runs for 3 (not a play win, but good enough). However, I'm going -6 here because this play very clearly demonstrates that he doesn't have much juice at all when yards are there to be had on an escape. I was sure this was going to be 4 (or even 5), but he's not particularly football fleet-of-foot.

+1/+3 They're 3x1 again w/ Pitts the wide single vs 3 Zone. The presnap alignment shows 2 Deep, but the Safety on Pitts side isn't nearly wide enough to help on a Fade and he immediately walks down as the Buzz defender for 3 Zone post snap (pretty lazy disguise here by this Safety). Trask recognizes this and knows he basically has Pitts 1v1 vs boundary CB. This isn't a completion (Fade to Pitts), but its not Trask's fault. This is a beautiful ball exactly where it should have been (to the boundary in the bucket). Poor job tracking and adjusting by Pitts leads to incompletion.

+1/+3 They're Empty 3x2 vs 1 Man Free. Toney is Slot on the Doubles side (Trasks' left). They're playing Banjo over there (Press on boundary w/ a little Off on Toney in slot). The FS's first move is to pedal toward the Trips side so Trask knows immediately he can't help over the top of Toney. Toney runs a hard outside release Stutter and Go. Kills his man. Open by a mile. Good recognition and perfect ball. 6.

++++++++++++++++++

That is drive 1. Done for now. Good result, but I don't see anything on tape that doesn't look like A&M so far. My guess, ultimately, is Trask is exactly what he looks like. If he can tighten up his processing loop, evade the major processing errors (like in A&M), he looks like a Brees-esque prototype. Don't get too excited now. That is just what I see; reminds me a lot of a bigger Drew Brees without Brees play-making ability in the pocket (and Brees had a gang of subtle, rush-evasion, play-extending, play-making ability in the pocket). Miles and miles and miles and miles of work to go to get there, I'm just saying what some things remind me of.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Drive 2 Bama

+1/-3 Trips Left vs 3 Zone. Boundary WR is on a 9 vs boundary CB who gets caught bailing too slowly as he's looking in the backfield when the Slot WR pushes outside and Hitches (really bad here by the CB) in front of him. Boundary WR runs right by him. Wide open. Overthrow. Should have been an easy 6.

+1/+3 Defense is in 2 Zone. Split-backfield motion to 3x1 Trips Left and they show Swing Screen look out there. 1st read had to have been that Swing Screen but Edge defeated their cut block and took it away. Trask looks that way then immediately goes back to single's side and throws the Slant. The Safety is coming downhill in the window to the Slant so you don't want to lead the WR or he'll get blown up. Trask does a really good job here with ball placement (throws it to back thigh of WR to protect the throw and the WR from the hit). Really good stuff here.

+1/-1/+3 They're in 3x1 w/ Doubles Left along w/ Wing. They max protect (RB and TE stay in) and Doubles side is boundary Fade and Slot Hitch. Its 2 Zone that side (2 Read other). The correct read is that hard outside release Fade. However, the ball is late getting out (the window is going to contract the longer you wait). You've got to throw this early to give the WR a chance to catch it in bounds before the deep half Safety and the sinking CB contracts the window too much or the Safety breaks it up. Because its late, its impossible to fit it in, but the ball is still perfectly placed to keep it out of danger and give his guy a chance.

-1 They're in 1 Man Blitz and the Gators have a Mesh concept on w/ TE and WR from other side running Shallow Crosses. The Doubles side coverage is a complete bust and that WR is left free. Trask doesn't read the blitz here because he should be throwing the ball to the Mesh player receiving the rub (the WR who was uncovered and running free). He throws it to the TE who is covered and its an easy PBU.

-6 They're in FG range so its Empty 3x2 QB Draw. Trask gets a few, but this play was blocked extremely well + 2nd level climbers and should have gotten a lot more (should have picked it up). This play pretty plainly that Trask doesn't have the juice to make plays like this at the next level. FG attempt after a few yards and failed conversion.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Nobody

I just want to point out that the Bucs have been working on his footwork, base, and throwing motion. He was effectively the 4th string QB as they were trying to get his mechanics fixed this year, which is why it's looking like he won't be starting in 2022.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Any other QB acquisition that requires major resources (Guaranteed $$, premium draft picks) makes this a bad pick. Trask has to be given every opportunity to win the job.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So where would Trask rank in this years draft class
Snake

Post by Snake »

Mid round talent who may go a bit higher because teams are QB desperate.