Flores suing the NFL

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Flores suing the NFL

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 am 2) Flores being insulted by the sham interviews is the double edge of the Rooney Rule.
Say you're an NFL team looking for a new HC, and you absolutely fall in love with your first interviewee and are 100% sold... now what do you do?
Even if he's black you still must conduct a sham interview with a second black candidate. And if he's white, which he probably is, you now have to conduct two insincere interviews.
The debate of whether the Rooney Rule hurts more than helps or helps more than hurts is not new.
Someone check on @CantonJester quick
Snake

Post by Snake »

The league has never looked better insofar as parity. The fucking Bengals are in the super bowl. There will be no draft lottery.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Yeah I don't see a draft lottery happening.

If anything and assuming the Dolphins or any team was trying to tank it shows how difficult tanking really would be in the NFL.

Even as bad as the Bucs were in 2014 w/ no OC and Josh McCown as the starting QB we still were in position to beat the Saints the last game of the season and had to pull our starters to can get stupid with the playcalling to allow the Saints to win and lock-in the #1 pick.

NFL players are tied to performance and what is put on tape. Their tape is their resume. Good luck trying to convince them to tank, for many it could be end to their career. To a lesser extent the same is true for coaches.

In addition the complexity of football in terms a team has 30-40 different players ALL playing key roles in the outcomes, thus no one player is too heavily weighted in the outcome. Perhaps the QB, but again I don't think any QB will willingly play bad so the team can replace him with a better draft pick.
Last edited by Dread on Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:50 am If anything and assuming these allegation are 100% true (which I'm not there yet without additional details) it shows how difficult tanking really would be in the NFL.
Flores refusing to throw games shows how difficult it is to tank?
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:52 am
Dread wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:50 am If anything and assuming these allegation are 100% true (which I'm not there yet without additional details) it shows how difficult tanking really would be in the NFL.
I worded that poorly. I meant assuming the Dolphins were tanking.

Thanks
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:14 am
The Outsider wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 am

The shit about discriminatory practices by the NYG at least has corroboration in the form of Darth Belichick's texts with Flores.
Maybe, Maybe not. Depends on the chronology of events.

The alleged text convo does demand additional digging though for sure.

If the Flores interview with the Giants for that "Thursday" was scheduled the week prior and sometime after the Giants scheduled that interview with Flores they came the determination Daboll was their guy (he could've likely been the #1 candidate in their search given his ties to the new GM they hired) then I think the argument it was racial discrimination is tough.

But the lawsuit should lead to a discovery process where these details should come to light. Which in part is why it was filed I'm sure.
According to reports from Jan 21, the Giants scheduled interviews with Fraiser (2nd interview), Quinn, and Daboll the week before they had them. Patrick Graham's interview was announced the week of, but before the Daboll interview. So it's pretty easy to see that the interview was already in place. Again, the Giants had already met their Rooney Rule requirements before the Flores interview and even when it was reported that Daboll was likely the number 1 choice, people thought he may go to Miami instead because of his relationship with Tua. Even with the decision that they wanted him, it doesn't mean they could get him and therefore would be dumb to cancel all future interviews before Daboll accepted the job.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks
Everyone knew they were tanking, they traded away starters and picks for future picks and it was public knowledge that they wanted Tua, who was supposed to go 1st overall, the season before.

We discussed it on the previous board that the Dolphins were going to tank for Tua in one of the most obvious ways possible.

Some even said that Flores was only hired to take the fall for the tank as he had such little experience coaching.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I definitely thought Flores was “the guy before the guy.” Which I guess technically he was, despite being unfairly fired.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:45 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:49 am

I thought that was Chef. Are you saying @13F11B is Chef?
Ubuntu Buc swore Admin was editing his posts. That I do remember. I miss Chef like I miss cream cheese. I love that goofy SOB
Oh yeah! That's right. I don't know why I was thinking that was Chef. Duh.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:23 am
BJJ34 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:16 am

This could force the Dolphins to be sold. And the Draft Lottery solves nothing. Unless you’re completely giving the process up to AI without any human interaction(or hacking).

Tanking is easy to do from a head coaches perspective. Choosing to run on an obvious running situation where the defense is keyed in. Choosing to do odd scenarios throughout the game. If he was paying the coaches, what do you think he’d pay a player.
100% Ross should be forced to sell the team. But that would be breaking new ground in the NFL. And there are plenty of other piece of shit owners deeply invested in that line never being crossed because once it's crossed they'll be in danger too. Maintaining that shield is probably the one thing more important to them than money.

I don't think a lottery is needed, but I also don't think tanking is a serious issue. There are just too many people involved with their own motives for tanking to be a legitimate thing. But that doesn't matter. NFL fans believing it's a real issue is an issue, which is why the lottery is incoming imo.
Agreed on the sell if there is any shred of truth to the tanking allegation.

I think BJ did a good job explaining how easily a head coach could tank a team especially if he is calling plays. Call the incorrect defense and all of sudden you’re down 21. Call incorrect offensive plays and you can’t score more than 10. Even if the players are doing their best. Hell…install a bullshit gameplan and the team is sunk before they ever touch the field.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:03 pm
Dread wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks
Everyone knew they were tanking, they traded away starters and picks for future picks and it was public knowledge that they wanted Tua, who was supposed to go 1st overall, the season before.

We discussed it on the previous board that the Dolphins were going to tank for Tua in one of the most obvious ways possible.

Some even said that Flores was only hired to take the fall for the tank as he had such little experience coaching.
Yep. The Dolphins were as blatant a tank job as you’ll see. The only possibly worse case is when Bowles took over the Jets. They hired Bowles and started cutting starters to tank.

Same thing with the Texans hiring Culley. We knew he was hired to lose and would be fired. What we didn’t know was Culley would over perform and still get fired.

I think the Miami and Houston situations are symptomatic of the issue Flores is claiming. He was never hired to be given a fair shot. He was hired to lose and when he didn’t lose enough and even posted 2 winning seasons with a crap team he was still fired.

@Dread I don’t think Miami shows that it’s hard to tank because in that situation you had a coach unwilling to go along. It appears the GM was willing to play ball and therefore cut the talent from the team. If you have a GM, Owner and coach on board then tanking is easy. Cut the talent and call shit game plans.

Unfortunately for the coach tasked with leading a tanking ship he will be held responsible for the losses and likely won’t get another opportunity. I think this is even more true for black coaches who rarely get opportunities as it is.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:42 am The league has never looked better insofar as parity. The fucking Bengals are in the super bowl. There will be no draft lottery.
Lotteries have been implemented for less.

Call it 30 years ago the expansion Ottawa Senators finished last by an embarrassing margin like every expansion team ever has in their first season. The consensus #1 draft pick (Alexandre Daigle) had Andrew Luck hype and potential. Buncha morons said "0ttawa did the succ on pUrpiss!!"

Ottawa drafted Daigle who is universally considered the biggest bust of all time.

But there's still a lottery in the NHL
Last edited by Swashbuckler on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:54 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:42 am The league has never looked better insofar as parity. The fucking Bengals are in the super bowl. There will be no draft lottery.

Call it 30 years ago the expansion Ottawa Senators finished last by an embarrassing margin like every expansion team ever has. The consensus #1 draft pick (Alexandre Dangle) had Andrew Luck hype and potential. Buncha morons said "0ttawa did the succ on pUrpiss!!"

Ottawa drafted Daigle who is universally considered the biggest bust of all time.

The NFL won't make a change like that unless they begin to see a negative impact in regards to revenue. The parity in the NFL is a huge reason for it's success.

They knew the Dolphins tanked. Unless there some huge fan revolt, they are likely to punish the Dolphins/force Ross to sell and move on.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:57 pm
Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:54 pm

Call it 30 years ago the expansion Ottawa Senators finished last by an embarrassing margin like every expansion team ever has. The consensus #1 draft pick (Alexandre Dangle) had Andrew Luck hype and potential. Buncha morons said "0ttawa did the succ on pUrpiss!!"

The NFL won't make a change like that unless they begin to see a negative impact in regards to revenue. The parity in the NFL is a huge reason for it's success.

They knew the Dolphins tanked. Unless there some huge fan revolt, they are likely to punish the Dolphins/force Ross to sell and move on.
As usual you're on point. I for one just don't know how it'll affect the NFL's bottom line to do such a thing. I think there's too much money tied into the product to implement a (farce) system like that. But we're in the age of outrage culture and so often it happens the right changes are missed and seemingly arbitrary decisions become consequence.

I hope the Dolphins are forced to sell crime=punishment
Snake

Post by Snake »

Right. The Dolphins traded everyone worth a damn for draft picks. They hired an inexperienced coach. Everyone knew what the deal was. A rebuild/tank. The alleged conversation between the owner and Flores was idiotic and unnecessary. You don’t ask the coach to suck. You just do things that make it hard for him to succeed…or hire a bad coach.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

...I can't get past that Bill signed the text with BB after just a casual, "I fucked up"...fucking hilarious.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:01 pm Again, the Giants had already met their Rooney Rule requirements before the Flores interview and even when it was reported that Daboll was likely the number 1 choice, people thought he may go to Miami instead because of his relationship with Tua. .
I don't think that's entirely accurate. IIRC the Rooney Rule says you have to interview two candidates OUTSIDE the organization. Graham was an internal interview thus didn't count towards the rule. I think.
Yes, actually.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:19 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:01 pm Again, the Giants had already met their Rooney Rule requirements before the Flores interview and even when it was reported that Daboll was likely the number 1 choice, people thought he may go to Miami instead because of his relationship with Tua. .
I don't think that's entirely accurate. IIRC the Rooney Rule says you have to interview two candidates OUTSIDE the organization. Graham was an internal interview thus didn't count towards the rule. I think.

This is correct. And Frasier's 2 interviews only count as 1 Rooney Rule slot...
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

At least he gave them a heads up.

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Fuck it, I’m #TeamFlores now.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Uh oh, another one

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/332 ... nk-2016-17

Nfl draft need to change
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

So, the NFL's version of #metoo has begun. Sweet!
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

The failed coach club is now here to burn it down.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:20 pm Uh oh, another one

Nfl draft need to change
He should be shown the door for accepting bribes. That or he really is a worst of all time coach. 1 win in 2 years is truly remarkable
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

This is getting ugly.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Listening to him speak I believe this man is telling the truth.

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nfl draft need to change
This thing is going to get completely out of control for the NFL if they don’t settle it and take the Miami team ASAP.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Nfl draft need to change
This thing is going to get completely out of control for the NFL if they don’t settle it and take the Miami team ASAP.
I'm sure Flores and his attorneys would like that. The NFL will settle and take quick action if they know litigation would be worse.

We'll see. Facts still matter to people I'd hope. The lawsuit will bring facts to light via discovery, which the league may want to avoid for various reasons
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:59 pm I hate that it's called racism as Daboll was probably the number 1 or 2 coaching candidate. Like if you have the perfect guy, not doing a token interview to comply with the Rooney rule isn't racist. The same thing happen to the Raiders with Gruden. When Gruden said he was interested, they leaped at it and the NFL investigated that they basically decided on hiring him before interviewing a minority candidate. I can't recall if they were punished or what it was.
didn't the Saints interview Leftwich for intel reasons without ever having a thought about hiring him?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Given how the investigation of the WFT went I wonder who in the NFL world is nervous about what this investigation will bring.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I need some popcorn and big gulp for this.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

She is the director of Hue Jackson foundation. And yes she is salty. I like that in a woman. Just visiting Pedro?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I don't know where the truth lies but if what is being claimed is true then the NFL has to do some serious cleanup. Coaches should never be asked to tank seasons. The Rooney rule has done nothing to help with the problem it was meant to help with. Sad that this crap is still going on after all these years.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why do rich people go broke?

Because they create “foundations” aka money pits and pay dummies like her to do…something.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:55 pm Yeah, in a game with what? 68 players or whatever the number is now with the Practice Squad; where their film is their resume.... totally easy to tank.

GMs can absolutely draft / sign a shit roster. And even those shit players are going to do whatever it takes to stay in the league.
Those shit players will do their best: shit. We saw this with so many Yuck teams over the years. No matter how hard Winston tries he will still be Jameis.