When Does Gronk Announce His Retirement?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buccabeer

When Does Gronk Announce His Retirement?

Post by Buccabeer »

He retired once, played through injuries this year, and his Bestie is now retired. I see no circumstance that keeps him in the NFL for another season or more. The questions is when does he announce? I would imagine he'll wait a little bit so as to let the Brady retirement conversation die down and the SB to get it's attention.

So, if he retired this year, does Brady and Gronk go into the Hall of Fame at the same time? I wasn't sure how that 1 year retirement plays out for the HOF consideration.
Defense5599

Re: When Does Gronk Announce His Retirement?

Post by Defense5599 »

Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:20 pm He retired once, played through injuries this year, and his Bestie is now retired. I see no circumstance that keeps him in the NFL for another season or more. The questions is when does he announce? I would imagine he'll wait a little bit so as to let the Brady retirement conversation die down and the SB to get it's attention.

So, if he retired this year, does Brady and Gronk go into the Hall of Fame at the same time? I wasn't sure how that 1 year retirement plays out for the HOF consideration.
It doesn't. You have to have been retired from the NFL for five years regardless. If you come out of retirement, the clock starts over when you retire again.

That being said, I expect him to announce his retirement some time after the Super Bowl. He's not a family man. He's a party harty type and will enjoy the next couple weeks.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
nybf

Post by nybf »

Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:20 pm So, if he retired this year, does Brady and Gronk go into the Hall of Fame at the same time?
Brady, Gronk, Roethlisberger. Stacked class. If you're on the ballot now, better hope you get picked soon. Not going to be a lot of spare votes come 2027.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:23 pm
Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:20 pm He retired once, played through injuries this year, and his Bestie is now retired. I see no circumstance that keeps him in the NFL for another season or more. The questions is when does he announce? I would imagine he'll wait a little bit so as to let the Brady retirement conversation die down and the SB to get it's attention.

It doesn't. You have to have been retired from the NFL for five years regardless. If you come out of retirement, the clock starts over when you retire again.

That being said, I expect him to announce his retirement some time after the Super Bowl. He's not a family man. He's a party harty type and will enjoy the next couple weeks.
That's what I thought, that will be one heck of a ticket to have, the HOF induction for Brady and Gronk.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm

That's what I thought, that will be one heck of a ticket to have, the HOF induction for Brady and Gronk.
Easily the two best at their positions.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s taken a horrible beating in his career. No reason for him to play unless catching passes from Tom Brady and competing for a Super Bowl.

Welcome to Canton.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I think the guesses here are good. Likely after the Super Bowl. I don't think he will be staying past Brady.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

gronk staying, not even a question. Gronk about to live his best bro life ever.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Noles1724 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:25 pm gronk staying, not even a question. Gronk about to live his best bro life ever.
Are you saying he is staying in Florida or he will play for the Buccaneers this year?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I'd be surprised if Gronk didn't retire.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:31 pm
Noles1724 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:25 pm gronk staying, not even a question. Gronk about to live his best bro life ever.
Are you saying he is staying in Florida or he will play for the Buccaneers this year?
Probably staying in Florida. Did you see how laid back and at ease both him and Brady were during that boat parade??

Who the fuck wants to live in Massachusetts anyway??
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:47 pm

Probably staying in Florida. Did you see how laid back and at ease both him and Brady were during that boat parade??

Who the fuck wants to live in Massachusetts anyway??
I agree with you on staying in Florida. They both looked like they really liked it. I thought Gronk was back in Buffalo after retiring. That is actually worse than Massachusetts.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Thanks, Gronk
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

he won't be playing football going forward.. He'll probably move to Vegas and get kicked out of town because he's too "Yo soy Fiesta"

MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:45 pm I'd be surprised if Gronk didn't retire.
I hope he does. Not that he can't still contribute. But I love the symmetry of him leaving with his boy. And I fear that if we have a disappointing season, I'll feel like we let him down.

Let him and Brady share the stage at the HOF.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I'll put down a lifetime ban of @Swashbuckler that Gronk doesn't run it back. He's been explicitly clear that Brady is/was the only QB he had interest in playing with previously. Let that man have his 24/7 title back and enjoy the memories of a happy and rambunctious top 3 all time TE suiting up in red and pewter and catching two SB tuddies.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm
Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm

Since 2010?, no question. But Gronk's got a lot of competition for best TE of all time. Gates, Winslow, Sr., Gonzalez, Sharpe, Witten, et al. Then there's the host of TEs who played in eras where it was like "HOLY SHIT A TE CAUGHT THE BALL!" instead of shoving a LB back so the half back could pick up a few more yards.
MJW

Post by MJW »

CantonJester wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:41 pm

Since 2010?, no question. But Gronk's got a lot of competition for best TE of all time. Gates, Winslow, Sr., Gonzalez, Sharpe, Witten, et al. Then there's the host of TEs who played in eras where it was like "HOLY SHIT A TE CAUGHT THE BALL!" instead of shoving a LB back so the half back could pick up a few more yards.
I've been having this argument with my son. He insist Gronk is the greatest TE ever. I give the nod to Gonzalez, who revolutionized the position and was consistent and productive as any player in NFL history over that span of time. Gronk would likely have to play 8-9 more healthy years to catch Tony G's yardage.

Of course, it's really about what the word "Greatest" means. Most talented? Most dominant? Most productive? Most influential? ETC.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Personally I think Gates was the best. Then again, he was best with peak LT. In his defense, while he had Rivers, he never had Brady who ensured Gronk was playing often deep into the playoffs.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Not that I personally saw him play anywhere other than YouTube but I think you have to at least consider John Mackey here. He is one of the innovators of the position and is still 2nd overall amongst TEs in YPC.

Averaging almost 16 yards per catch as a TE playing in the 1960’s is pretty incredible.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The fact that you even mentioned Witten is laughable.

Gronk is the best TE of all-time. He's was the most dominant pass catcher/weapon in his prime and he has been an elite blocker to a level that Gonzalez never was. Gonzo is number two, but prime Gronk was a cheat code...even out of prime Gronk is awesome.

Yes, Gonzo has the longevity and stats, which play a role in all-time status, but wasn't as the rare talent as prime Gronk.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

CantonJester wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:07 am Personally I think Gates was the best. Then again, he was best with peak LT. In his defense, while he had Rivers, he never had Brady who ensured Gronk was playing often deep into the playoffs.
While Gates could block sometimes in a highlight reel, he wasn't a plus pass blocker. Gates even said at one point he wasn't a good blocker and that he didn't like doing it.

He was more of the mold of big WR.

Gates doesn't make my top 3...Witten isn't a top 5...maybe not a top 10 TE. Good dude, played above average football for a long time, not an elite talent.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Looks like JP losman photoshopped
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am Image

My Dude changed the position!
What the fuck is wrong with you Pete? You are going to hold up Mark Bavaro over this man?

350 receptions for 5084 yards 41 TDs long of 81 yards

vs.

Bavaro - 351 receptions for 4733 yards 39 TDs long of 61

I am all for childhood heroes and such but dude!?!
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:57 pm

I've been having this argument with my son. He insist Gronk is the greatest TE ever. I give the nod to Gonzalez, who revolutionized the position and was consistent and productive as any player in NFL history over that span of time. Gronk would likely have to play 8-9 more healthy years to catch Tony G's yardage.
He did break Tony G's record for most career 100 yard receiving games by a TE this year. Of course having the argument with your son explains everything as he probably never got to see Tony G play. I'm having a similar argument with my son over who is the greatest NBA player of all time. He insists it's LeBron but he never got to see Air Jordan play and never observed the way the game was played back then.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Gronk’s blocking is the great separator. He’s another OT out there. And not a bad one.
BLT

Post by BLT »

How many more decades before GOAT arguments become dumb?

0?
nybf

Post by nybf »

You can take the boy out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the boy.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm

Ah, Bavaro was born in Massachussettes. Attended high school there too.

nybf

Post by nybf »

13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:34 pm
nybf wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm

*sigh*

You dumb fuck. Instead of trying to be clever, think for a fucking second what state Bavaro played in. Combine that with the fact that @PetePierson is a Jersey boy and maybe it makes sense. Maybe. Still wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't figure it out. You're the kind of person who would have trouble completing this

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm
13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:34 pm

*sigh*

You dumb fuck. Instead of trying to be clever, think for a fucking second what state Bavaro played in. Combine that with the fact that @PetePierson is a Jersey boy and maybe it makes sense. Maybe. Still wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't figure it out. You're the kind of person who would have trouble completing this
Let me break this down for you. You said:
That implies the person is FROM Jersey and despite them moving somewhere else you can't take that out of them. In Bavaro's case, that statement does not apply and was idiotic.

I thought @PetePierson was actually the Pete Pierson that played for the Buccaneers. Apparently, that was a bad assumption. I am glad you and he could have your little bromance moment over Mark Bavaro. Was he the pinup you had on your wall when you were younger?
BLT

Post by BLT »

I guess no matter how many people Rocker boots (get it?) there always has to be a heel.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

BLT wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:38 pm I guess no matter how many people Rocker boots (get it?) there always has to be a heel.
I see no matter how many times I expose nybf his puppets always come running to the thread. Good line though @nybf = @BLT. How many more troll puppets do you control to disrupt the board?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:42 pm
BLT wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:38 pm I guess no matter how many people Rocker boots (get it?) there always has to be a heel.
I see no matter how many times I expose nybf his puppets always come running to the thread. Good line though @nybf = @BLT. How many more troll puppets do you control to disrupt the board?
Yes, nybf is making everyone hate you...not how you are posting or responding.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Lol dude... get help.