Official SuperBowl LVI thread: Bengals v Rams

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Official SuperBowl LVI thread: Bengals v Rams

Post by Doctor »

I mean it's hard to find a great DT that wasn't accused of being dirty. You play the dirtiest position and the better you are the more opponents are going to be dirty with you and you gotta respond in kind.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:39 pm I mean it's hard to find a great DT that wasn't accused of being dirty. You play the dirtiest position and the better you are the more opponents are going to be dirty with you and you gotta respond in kind.
Vita Vea.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Pirate Life wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:10 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:39 pm I mean it's hard to find a great DT that wasn't accused of being dirty. You play the dirtiest position and the better you are the more opponents are going to be dirty with you and you gotta respond in kind.
Vita Vea.
That seems accurate I have not heard any reports of Vea being dirty.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Easy to root for the Bengals
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:54 pm Easy to root for the Bengals
I agree. I think they have overcome a great deal to get to the big game. I like the team.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bengals are easy to root for. City and team has been through a lot of what Tampa and the Bucs have. Burrow is a great QB in the making also, possibly the best of his generation. Their kicker is already a legend as a rookie too.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Cincy is canceling school on Super Bowl Monday. They deserve to win.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

It's interesting to see people turn on Joe Burrow over his money comment and what they consider cocky twitter posts.

Makes me cheer for him a bit more.

We need a good villain in the league.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:17 pm Cincy is canceling school on Super Bowl Monday. They deserve to win.
I don't think I've ever heard of a city doing that before.

Cool move.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Joe Burrow is what we keep being asked to pretend Baker Mayfield is.

The Bengals winning the Superbowl after going 4-11-1, not adding any marquee veterans (Hendrickson is a great player, but so was Carl Lawson, who he replaced), and almost firing Zac Taylor, would be maybe the most unforeseen Superbowl Champion since...Brady and the Pats in 2001? The Eagles kind of came out of nowhere, but they were 7-9 the year before and had forward momentum.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:35 am Joe Burrow is what we keep being asked to pretend Baker Mayfield is.

The Bengals winning the Superbowl after going 4-11-1, not adding any marquee veterans (Hendrickson is a great player, but so was Carl Lawson, who he replaced), and almost firing Zac Taylor, would be maybe the most unforeseen Superbowl Champion since...Brady and the Pats in 2001? The Eagles kind of came out of nowhere, but they were 7-9 the year before and had forward momentum.
Burrow was showing signs of being "THAT GUY" last year. Getting him healthy, getting him Ja'marr Chase and doing a better job of protecting him paid dividends.

The thing that really surprised me about the Bengal is how their defense has turned it up when needed. Stonewalling the Chiefs in OT is a big boy move.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 am
MJW wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:35 am Joe Burrow is what we keep being asked to pretend Baker Mayfield is.

Burrow was showing signs of being "THAT GUY" last year. Getting him healthy, getting him Ja'marr Chase and doing a better job of protecting him paid dividends.

The thing that really surprised me about the Bengal is how their defense has turned it up when needed. Stonewalling the Chiefs in OT is a big boy move.
It's a pretty anonymous defense but they seem to be hitting their stride. They play like that against the Rams, they have a damn good chance in this game.
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:06 am
nybf wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:17 pm Cincy is canceling school on Super Bowl Monday. They deserve to win.

Cool move.
I haven't either. They have built-in snow days, so why not use one for this? Makes perfect sense and it's a move I applaud.
Don't tread on me
CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt »

They seem to usually have that day after off anyway but it didn't line up this year so they threw in the extra one when the Bengals made it. Classy move. Doubling down on rooting for the Bengals now.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 am Burrow was showing signs of being "THAT GUY" last year. Getting him healthy, getting him Ja'marr Chase and doing a better job of protecting him paid dividends.
I agree Burrow was showing magic last season even though the results were not there. It is really odd to think the team is doing a better job of protecting him when you realize just how bad his protection has been this season. That team would be truly dangerous with a good offensive line.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I was pondering my annual Superbowl bet, and I just realized the Rams have a better team, more experience, probably a better coaching staff, and they're playing at home. But Joe Burrow has kinda entered "Don't really want to bet against that dude" territory. That's probably the best definition of a franchise quarterback - you don't want to bet against him even if you should.
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:54 pm I was pondering my annual Superbowl bet, and I just realized the Rams have a better team, more experience, probably a better coaching staff, and they're playing at home. But Joe Burrow has kinda entered "Don't really want to bet against that dude" territory. That's probably the best definition of a franchise quarterback - you don't want to bet against him even if you should.
Plus he has something that no other QB does: the ability to get sacked 9 times and not be rattled one bit. That nearly negates the pass rush. The Titans wrecked Burrow and look how much it mattered. That kid is made of something else.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 am
MJW wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:54 pm I was pondering my annual Superbowl bet, and I just realized the Rams have a better team, more experience, probably a better coaching staff, and they're playing at home. But Joe Burrow has kinda entered "Don't really want to bet against that dude" territory. That's probably the best definition of a franchise quarterback - you don't want to bet against him even if you should.
Plus he has something that no other QB does: the ability to get sacked 9 times and not be rattled one bit. That nearly negates the pass rush. The Titans wrecked Burrow and look how much it mattered. That kid is made of something else.
I can't think of many guys you could say that about. Even Tom started to get rattled if he got hit too much (that was basically the only way to beat him.)
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:52 am

I can't think of many guys you could say that about. Even Tom started to get rattled if he got hit too much (that was basically the only way to beat him.)
Yep. That’s my point. I’ve never really seen any QB like him in that way.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:51 am

Yep. That’s my point. I’ve never really seen any QB like him in that way.
I can think of a few...Aikman, on those rare occasions he'd get hit, would still stand and deliver if he needed to. Elway was like that - I never saw him play scared. Those are the first two who come to mind, and it's a huge part of the reason they combined for 5 Rings.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

It has been a long time but I think Doug Williams was like that.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:22 pm This idea is quite possibly my biggest football trigger; If you hit him, he'll get rattled and play worse.

You don't want some sweat soaked 300lb beast planting your ass in the ground while wearing pants so tight you can tell his religion?

Really? Is water wet? No one likes to get hit. Including lineman that get beat on every damn play. It fucking sucks.

So dumb
In football, I agree. Perhaps there are some people that like to get hit though. Say, Mike Tyson when he was younger.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

No one likes getting hit, but QBs are usually more frail than your typical player because they don't get hit at much. Burrow does seem to shake it off like it's just part of the game and go about unaffected. At least relative to other QBs. It's a huge asset.

I expect a lot of screens from the Bengals to help slow down the Rams speed. If Raheem can defend the screen while still keeping pressure on pass plays it should be a wrap. If not it could turn into a thrilling shoot-out.

I agree, I'm team Rams but I'm not betting against Burrow.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm

I don't think Williams was like that at all. Dude was always under pressure. He played for the Bucs, after all.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:51 am
13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm

I don't think Williams was like that at all. Dude was always under pressure. He played for the Bucs, after all.
To be clear I was saying Doug Williams played like Burrow and would continue to play under pressure and not get ratteled. Then again, this was before NFL Sunday ticket and I did not get to see many games.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:20 am
Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:51 am
To be clear I was saying Doug Williams played like Burrow and would continue to play under pressure and not get ratteled. Then again, this was before NFL Sunday ticket and I did not get to see many games.
Sorry. Totally misread your post.
Don't tread on me
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

The more I think about this game… the more I’m convinced it’ll be a blowout for the Rams. Neutralize the quick screen and the game is essentially over unless Cinci’s defense sparks some dramatics.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Bengals defense held the Chiefs to three points in the second half.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:06 am

Cool move.
We should take Columbus day (which people seem to hate anyways) and just switch it to the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday and call it something different.

Or move the game to Saturday.

It's dumb to have it on Sunday evening (for the east coast) and it not ending til 10pm when it's promoted as a social event.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Rams by 20. McVay vs his protégé?? Won't be close.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:35 pm Rams by 20. McVay vs his protégé?? Won't be close.
Fool’s gold.

Bet?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Rocker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:59 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:35 pm Rams by 20. McVay vs his protégé?? Won't be close.
Fool’s gold.

Bet?
Yea make me a sweet sig when the Rams win.

This has more to do with the Bengals than it does the Rams honestly. Getting a real "deer in headlights" vibe from them. That defense is poo poo and that Oline going against the Rams front? Have fun, Joe/Joe.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

You must have spent your time away in Bora Bora. Joe Burrrrrrow has ice water for blood. I’m expecting a very competitive game.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Rocker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:16 pm You must have spent your time away in Bora Bora. Joe Burrrrrrow has ice water for blood. I’m expecting a very competitive game.
Some Mod inactived my account or something. I don't know about computer shit. But it is what it is.

I love Joe. He's on his way to be one of the best. But it doesn't escape me that A. His coaching staff does him no favors with the offense he plays in, B. His Oline is arguably the worst in football and C. Up until mid November he was in the middle of the pack in terms of QB play and also was leading the league in INTs until an amazing December.

If the Bengals are to win that pisspoor defense will have to do much better.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:20 pm
Rocker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:16 pm You must have spent your time away in Bora Bora. Joe Burrrrrrow has ice water for blood. I’m expecting a very competitive game.
Some Mod inactived my account or something. I don't know about computer shit. But it is what it is.

I love Joe. He's on his way to be one of the best. But it doesn't escape me that A. His coaching staff does him no favors with the offense he plays in, B. His Oline is arguably the worst in football and C. Up until mid November he was in the middle of the pack in terms of QB play and also was leading the league in INTs until an amazing December.

If the Bengals are to win that pisspoor defense will have to do much better.
He's got that thing. That thing that's the opposite of what KirK Cousins has. How does a guy take 9 sacks in a playoff game on the road and keep dealing? I have no idea.

I agree with your points, though. It's not a brilliant offense, the line is awful, and he does have a penchant for pushing the ball into questionable situations.

It's pretty simple to me. If this is His Moment, the Bengals will win. If it's not, they'll get dogwalked. I was too young to remember the Marino Superbowl in 1984, but I imagine it was a similar scenario. Second year brilliant QB, overmatched on paper, couldn't quite get it done. I'm hoping Burrow does, though. I like the kid and the league needs some new superstars. Plus, screw the Rams.
Let's roll another joint