2022 NFL Coaching/GM Carousel thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Swashbuckler

Re: 2022 NFL Coaching/GM Carousel thread

Post by Swashbuckler »

Houston might hire Lovie Smith

Good GAWD King
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Swashbuckler wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:52 pm Houston might hire Lovie Smith

Good GAWD King
Report: Texans hire Lovie Smith as head coach
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-texans-hir ... 02709.html
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yup I post it earlier today
Edit:
Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 am
Houston Texans in talks with Lovie Smith about potentially becoming next head coach, sources say

Whaaaaaat? Jesus Christ
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

He didn’t do shit while he was here
Snake

Post by Snake »

Not really surprised. Dysfunctional org is settling for a bloop single instead of striking out again. He’s a “true professional” who players respect.

Also, another guy to take the fall for a massive rebuild.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

In defense of Lovie, he had this team at .500 in December for the first time in who knows how long? If Kyle fucking Brindza could make any kick whatsoever it's not impossible he'd have been .500 to finish his 2nd season. Dude got fired for the sake of the front office derping over Koetter and Winston staying together. I'm not saying Lovie was great either. But it's not like Koetter did any better and he was a far cry from the bullshit we had with Schiano and even Morris getting thrown to the wolves.

His years sucked but he'll always have my respect. I wish him nothing but the best in Houston
Snake

Post by Snake »

I will always respect him taking a bad job like Illinois and sticking with it.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:16 pm Not really surprised. Dysfunctional org is settling for a bloop single instead of striking out again. He’s a “true professional” who players respect.

Also, another guy to take the fall for a massive rebuild.
You can say that again and it still might not be enough.

This is the biggest "fall job" I've seen since Shurmur took the gig with the NYG, any Browns job in the last 15 years and McCoy following the mess Norv Turner left behind in San Diego.

Like I know he probably can't do better at this point in his career, but I'd argue Lovie still deserves better.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yep, gotta respect Lovie. This is a guy whose first coaching job was DC for his high school team in 1980. He’s coached all over the country at all levels of the game. He was 81-63 before coming to the Tampa Bay Yucks. Man of faith, family man, epic beard.

I hope he kills it. First step: figure out the Watson situation.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I'm happy for Lovie, he's a good dude.

This is his 3rd different NFL HC job, right? The last one he went 8-24 over his two seasons. Then failed as a college HC.

I do love a good narrative buster...
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:37 pm Yep, gotta respect Lovie. This is a guy whose first coaching job was DC for his high school team in 1980. He’s coached all over the country at all levels of the game. He was 81-63 before coming to the Tampa Bay Yucks. Man of faith, family man, epic beard.

I hope he kills it. First step: figure out the Watson situation.
I have a good hunch, that's settled. He wouldn't walk in without some knowledge of the end result.

I don't see Watson in the picture
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Breaking: The New Orleans Saints have informed their defensive coordinator Dennis Allen that they are hiring him as their next head coach, sources tell Adam Schefter.

God I hate the Saints more than Panthers and Falcons
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

But good news for Bucs fan, Winston is most likely sign another contract with Saints
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm Breaking: The New Orleans Saints have informed their defensive coordinator Dennis Allen that they are hiring him as their next head coach, sources tell Adam Schefter.

Easiest thing to do with Payton transition. No one else would want the job, since there is a chance he could come back.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:26 pm But good news for Bucs fan, Winston is most likely sign another contract with Saints
Yeah...... good luck managing stick of dynamite. I wish Winston all the luck and success in the world but I am VERY skeptical of it. If he can't take advantage here, I can't speak to the kind of opportunities he's going to have for the rest of his career. This probably does it for Hill too. I can't imagine teams wanting to invest in a gadget QB like that
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:15 pm

He didn’t do shit while he was here
Locked up that #1 pick that we got our franchise QB with, lol

(Tried to make that blue but it was illegible on my screen when I did that)
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Lovie Smith is the least exciting coach they could have hired and also will likely win less than their last coach. Good for him though. Wish him the best, but I know how this movie goes. I truly think the man is just a bad coach.

That being said if he somehow became the Watson Whisperer to figure that shit out this move is a home run. Won’t happen.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Probably the most underwhelming coaching cycles in recent memory. Everything people thought they knew about what teams look for when hiring coaches went completely out of the window.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Crocaneers wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:59 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm Breaking: The New Orleans Saints have informed their defensive coordinator Dennis Allen that they are hiring him as their next head coach, sources tell Adam Schefter.

Easiest thing to do with Payton transition. No one else would want the job, since there is a chance he could come back.
Dennis Allen has coached that Saints defense into an elite unit when healthy.

But that roster has the worst cap situation in the NFL and no QB or Offensive Cordinator. Plus their financially committed to Taysom Hill and can't afford not to use him.

Very possible they lose both their LT and LG this offseason also.

Tough spot for the Saints. The division is going to be so different next year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

So the Texans fire their respected, mediocre, elderly black head coach so they can elevate their respected, mediocre, elderly black defensive coordinator to the job?

I guess the real winner is Kliff Kingsbury. He's no longer the worst college head coach to turn that into an NFL head coaching job.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 am So the Texans fire their respected, mediocre, elderly black head coach so they can elevate their respected, mediocre, elderly black defensive coordinator to the job?

I guess the real winner is Kliff Kingsbury. He's no longer the worst college head coach to turn that into an NFL head coaching job.
Not that Lovie is a great hire. I never understood the "excitement" we hired him in '14. But we pretending this man didn't ride to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his QB?

What has Kingsbury done except prove he sucks at recruiting and prove that his teams fade late in the season?
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:31 pm Probably the most underwhelming coaching cycles in recent memory. Everything people thought they knew about what teams look for when hiring coaches went completely out of the window.
Agreed.

Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 am So the Texans fire their respected, mediocre, elderly black head coach so they can elevate their respected, mediocre, elderly black defensive coordinator to the job?

Not that Lovie is a great hire. I never understood the "excitement" we hired him in '14. But we pretending this man didn't ride to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his QB?

What has Kingsbury done except prove he sucks at recruiting and prove that his teams fade late in the season?
You may have misinterpreted he Kingsbury comment if that is your response. She was not promoting/propping up any of his accomplishments.

The problem w/ Lovie is he doesn't adjust to his players and his style of defense requires an elite front 4 Dline. Which the Texans don't have.

The Texans need to trade Watson and hope that GM and Lovie nail those picks b/c that roster is probably the least talented one of the 32 NFL teams.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:39 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm

You may have misinterpreted he Kingsbury comment if that is your response. She was not promoting/propping up any of his accomplishments.

The problem w/ Lovie is he doesn't adjust to his players and his style of defense requires an elite front 4 Dline. Which the Texans don't have.

The Texans need to trade Watson and hope that GM and Lovie nail those picks b/c that roster is probably the least talented one of the 32 NFL teams.
I give it 2 years tops. Lovie is not made for this NFL. You're absolutely right he doesn't adjust and you simply cannot win that way in today's NFL.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:29 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:31 pm Probably the most underwhelming coaching cycles in recent memory. Everything people thought they knew about what teams look for when hiring coaches went completely out of the window.
Agreed.

So at a time where supposedly teams are looking for the next Sean McVay, we had the following:

-3 OCs who neither called plays or headed the offensive game planning
-4 retread HCs
-1 DC that headed a defense that was great at turnovers and bad at everything else.
-1 OC who headed the development of one of the best QBs in football today.

Hackett & Allen are no doubt on thin ice from the start. The Broncos ownership situation gives me pause. Payton might decide he wants his job back in 12 months. I had never heard of Eburflus. But this is the 2nd year a coach is hired from under Frank Reich. O'Connell & McDaniel? Odd.
McDaniels and LV might be a match made in hell. Lovie won't succeed. Pederson is overrated. Daboll is the lone hire I'd have confidence in but again great OC=/=HC.

We'll see where we stand in 24 months. My guess is most of these guys will either be looking for new jobs or entering year 3 on an extremely hot seat.
Dread

Post by Dread »

McDaniel and O'Connell are the young whizz kid types teams are hoping become Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur (both come from that coaching tree).

I agree Daboll was an obvious choice to be a HC and likely a top candidate for many of the teams looking this offseason. Which is just another oddity surrounding the Flores drama and him feeling entitled to that Giants job.

The get the Dennis Allen hire from a continuity perspective

Broncos have to be hoping to lure Rodgers to Denver with that Hackett hire. Makes sense they would go with an offensive guy though with the talent they have on that side of the ball (sans QB).

Eberflus was a surprise hire imo. Surprised that new Bears GM didn't hire Flores.

Pederson and Lovie... lol..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Pederson and Lovie are stability hires for franchises in disarray.

Lovie's fall here was more his loyalty to Leslie Fraizer who the FO was apparently over on, but he wasn't. Both kept insisting on a scheme that relied too heavily on our weakest personnel group.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:31 pm Pederson and Lovie are stability hires for franchises in disarray.

Lovie's fall here was more his loyalty to Leslie Fraizer who the FO was apparently over on, but he wasn't. Both kept insisting on a scheme that relied too heavily on our weakest personnel group.
Pederson and Lovie?? Stability?? Hilarious.

Pederson was fired because of all of the stability within the Eagles locker room and their QB situation. Lovie went 8-24. Hardly any stability with either situation.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Good for Lovie. I hope he finds success this time around.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:35 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:31 pm Pederson and Lovie are stability hires for franchises in disarray.

Pederson and Lovie?? Stability?? Hilarious.

Pederson was fired because of all of the stability within the Eagles locker room and their QB situation. Lovie went 8-24. Hardly any stability with either situation.
This.

Pederson is a pretty low-key kinda guy, but that locker room fell apart. When you get fired that soon after winning a Super Bowl, things went sideways hardcore.

Lovie Smith's coaching record since getting fired by the Bears is 25-63 between here and Illinois.

Neither guy is going to grind on a co-ed at a college bar or trade six first round picks for a left tackle, but that's damning by faint praise IMHO.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

So GB is finalizing hiring Rich Bissacia as their ST coach, after the Raiders opted for McDaniels over the interim HC that took them to the playoffs. So, what is Rich's perceived failings that have kept him as a ST coach for the past 20+ years?
Push the damned button already!
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

So GB is finalizing hiring Rich Bisaccia as their ST coach, after the Raiders opted for McDaniels over the interim HC that took them to the playoffs. So, what is Rich's perceived failings that has kept him as a ST coach for the past 20+ years?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

IronDog wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 pm So GB is finalizing hiring Rich Bisaccia as their ST coach, after the Raiders opted for McDaniels over the interim HC that took them to the playoffs. So, what is Rich's perceived failings that has kept him as a ST coach for the past 20+ years?
He's black?
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

What? Who? Rich?

And what the fuck difference would that make anyway?