2022 NFL Coaching/GM Carousel thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
nybf

Re: 2022 NFL Coaching/GM Carousel thread

Post by nybf »

That is wild.
MJW

Post by MJW »

nybf wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:32 pm

That is wild.
I feel like Jack Easterby in Houston kind of softened us up to this kind of bullshit, but wow.

And, again, it's not like the dude is Ozzie Newsome or Ron Wolf in terms of talent evaluation. I'll do a deep dive into his draft record when I have more time. All I can think is, this is just one of those dudes who's very good at SOUNDING like he has the answers.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Per Schefter, the Jaguars are hiring Doug Pederson, the platonic ideal of a low-drama option.
Let's roll another joint
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Pederson won a championship with Nick freaking Foles as his QB. I cannot for the life of me see why he's a bad hire
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:02 pm Pederson won a championship with Nick freaking Foles as his QB. I cannot for the life of me see why he's a bad hire
I don't follow the Eagles enough to know why he was fired after going 4-11. He could be good but he really only had one good season in Philly.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

That is wild.
WTF? How the hell is Baalke still employed?
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:18 pm

That is wild.
He has been around Jacksonville for all of what like a year? That would be a quick firing. And not to purposely defend firing that many guys in that short of time but I was convinced on day one that getting saddled with Urb was Khan meddling and he wouldn't last one year. I have no way to prove I'm right but Khan strikes me as an owner who meddles too much and would instruct a guy to make a "splash" hiring like that

The shit in San Francisco though? That's insane. But I think remember some nonsense going on with ownership too at the time.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baalke fell into GM job in Jax right? I think he was a director of personnel and the GM was fired and he took over.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:26 pm
Primeminister wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:18 pm

He has been around Jacksonville for all of what like a year? That would be a quick firing. And not to purposely defend firing that many guys in that short of time but I was convinced on day one that getting saddled with Urb was Khan meddling and he wouldn't last one year. I have no way to prove I'm right but Khan strikes me as an owner who meddles too much and would instruct a guy to make a "splash" hiring like that

The shit in San Francisco though? That's insane. But I think remember some nonsense going on with ownership too at the time.
I read this incorrectly. I read it as Baalke firing 4 Jax coaches in 4 years.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:29 pm Baalke fell into GM job in Jax right? I think he was a director of personnel and the GM was fired and he took over.
As far as I know he hadn't. San Fran fell apart (again I feel like I remember some shit with the DeBartolo family making it worse) and then took the job in Jax 2 years to do the day actually. I really do think he got saddled with Urb. The fact Khan kept giving public reassurances tells me he made the call. And then trying to hire Lefty? Again... "splash" But I could be wrong.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Baalke is trash.

Doug is about one of the few good hires left. Good for them. But as long as Baalke is there I won't hold my breath.

Miami is gonna be left hiring the SpyKid from SF.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel is in Miami for his second interview with the team on Friday.

The other finalist for the Dolphins is Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. Moore is also interviewing with the team a second time on Saturday.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:39 pm Baalke is trash.

Doug is about one of the few good hires left. Good for them. But as long as Baalke is there I won't hold my breath.

Miami is gonna be left hiring the SpyKid from SF.
I'm optimistic for the Jags. Build in the trenches this year and focus on dominating the line of scrimmage. This year they can go 3-14 and the correct answer would be "who the hell cares?" and you're now in position trade out of the pick for extra assets or go BPA. A few smart free agent signings and I can't see why they won't turn the corner.

Urb ate a shit season for absolutely free. As far I'm concerned, the Pederson just scored a free off-season to do anything he wants without any blame for what just happened
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Given Baalke's record, what is the over/under on Pederson's career at Jacksonville? 1?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

13F11B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:48 pm Given Baalke's record, what is the over/under on Pederson's career at Jacksonville? 1?
Under whatever your choice is
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

13F11B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:48 pm Given Baalke's record, what is the over/under on Pederson's career at Jacksonville? 1?
0.00%

Take this draft to build the trenches and dominate the line of scrimmage. The skill positions will fill out later. You're all set at RB already with Etienne and Robinson. There's more names than I care to recall as free agent WR's that could become Lawrence's #1 target. And it's not like they don't have a stupid amount of cap space. If the Jags do things right in that regard and make a the right moves on offensive line, they can at least outscore what problems they have on defense. What's the worst that's gonna happen? Go 3-14 again? That just means you have (probably) the 1st overall pick again. You can trade out or go BPA on defense. There is not a coach in the world who is gonna make this shitshow a 12 win team this year. You might as well keep the coach.

This is the same organization that hired a dude who'd get his grind on at the club and kick his own players saying dumb shit like "I'm the head ball coach" like he's Steve Spurrier or something. If they fired Pederson after a season then maybe it's time Khan realizes that he needs to sell the team.

Edit: They just drafted the best QB prospect we've seen in like 10 years. All Baalke and Pederson LITERALLY have to do is make a 2 year plan (post April 2022) outlying what they want to address each offseason (i.e secondary, offensive line etc) the exact kind of players they want, coordinate as such on draft day and free agency and agree no one is getting fired.

It's amazing to me how many teams manage to fuck rebuilds up because coaches and GM's can't get on the same page or their talent evaluation is so shit they somehow make it worse
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Swashbuckler wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:53 pm
0.00%

Take this draft to build the trenches and dominate the line of scrimmage. The skill positions will fill out later. You're all set at RB already with Etienne and Robinson. There's more names than I care to recall as free agent WR's that could become Lawrence's #1 target. And it's not like they don't have a stupid amount of cap space. If the Jags do things right in that regard and make a the right moves on offensive line, they can at least outscore what problems they have on defense. What's the worst that's gonna happen? Go 3-14 again? That just means you have (probably) the 1st overall pick again. You can trade out or go BPA on defense. There is not a coach in the world who is gonna make this shitshow a 12 win team this year. You might as well keep the coach.

This is the same organization that hired a dude who'd get his grind on at the club and kick his own players saying dumb shit like "I'm the head ball coach" like he's Steve Spurrier or something. If they fired Pederson after a season then maybe it's time Khan realizes that he needs to sell the team.

Edit: They just drafted the best QB prospect we've seen in like 10 years. All Baalke and Pederson LITERALLY have to do is make a 2 year plan (post April 2022) outlying what they want to address each offseason (i.e secondary, offensive line etc) the exact kind of players they want, coordinate as such on draft day and free agency and agree no one is getting fired.

It's amazing to me how many teams manage to fuck rebuilds up because coaches and GM's can't get on the same page or their talent evaluation is so shit they somehow make it worse
Have you ever worked with someone who’s inept? Imagine being a head coach in the league, seeing all of the players and knowing you need talent to compete but your GM is so bad at his job that it holds you back. Is that not frustrating? Then the GM blames you and fires you because he says you’re not listening.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Dolphins hired 49ers OC Mike McDaniel, who I had never heard of before this hiring cycle.

The Bienemy truthers are going to blow a gasket at this rate.
Let's roll another joint
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:34 pm The Dolphins hired 49ers OC Mike McDaniel, who I had never heard of before this hiring cycle.

It would be a stupid take if they did. The Jags tripped over their dick trying to hire the guy who worked with Brady. Who was it? Mike McCoy and Adam Gase who got jobs purely for working with Peyton Manning? If the guy who works with Mahomes can't get a job then maybe after all these years it's time to consider that perhaps it's a problem with him.

I'm not saying there is not systemic racism in the NFL and that it does not exist. It is alive and well and that issue will unfortunately take decades to resolve. But as it comes to Bieniemy, I'm at the point where I wish someone will just throw the dude a bone so we can finally stop talking about him.

Again: if the dude who works with Mahomes can't get a job then maybe it's true there's a very serious problem with systemic racism in the NFL and a very serious problem with Bieniemy people are seeing. Both can be real at the same time
Snake

Post by Snake »

Enough smart people have interviewed Bieniemy and done their homework on him to suggest he’s just not a good HC candidate.

Great QBs are typically great no matter who the OC is (see: Leftwich). And everyone knows Reid is an offensive mind for the ages. Where does that leave Bieniemy? Reportedly, Bieniemy can’t articulate a 30,000 feet perspective on a team during an interview, which is a problem if you’re gonna be a HC.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Swashbuckler wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm
MJW wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:34 pm The Dolphins hired 49ers OC Mike McDaniel, who I had never heard of before this hiring cycle.

It would be a stupid take if they did. The Jags tripped over their dick trying to hire the guy who worked with Brady. Who was it? Mike McCoy and Adam Gase who got jobs purely for working with Peyton Manning? If the guy who works with Mahomes can't get a job then maybe after all these years it's time to consider that perhaps it's a problem with him.

I'm not saying there is not systemic racism in the NFL and that it does not exist. It is alive and well and that issue will unfortunately take decades to resolve. But as it comes to Bieniemy, I'm at the point where I wish someone will just throw the dude a bone so we can finally stop talking about him.

Again: if the dude who works with Mahomes can't get a job then maybe it's true there's a very serious problem with systemic racism in the NFL and a very serious problem with Bieniemy people are seeing. Both can be real at the same time
All true, but I was just thinking about Bienemy specifically, since he's been a notable OC for a long time and this dude has been an OC for one year. He's actually biracial, so...hooray?

Here's the thing - has any considered that Bienemy is just a shitty candidate? I didn't say he had a shitty resume, but he's just not head coach material? Doesn't present himself well, doesn't show up prepared for the interview, gets stymied by questions he didn't anticipate, etc? If you've ever been in a position to hire somebody (I have and I hate it), there are people with great resume who you know would be a mistake, and vise versa.
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

The fact that Bienemey can’t get hired despite calling plays for one of the best offenses is now proof that something is wrong with him. This is the conundrum some black coaches find themselves in. Everyone on the outside assumes that if you were any good SOMEONE would give you a shot and therefore when no one does it must be because you aren’t any good.

The fact this is a league where Gase has been hired twice makes this laughable.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I mean, he’s been interviewed and sucked. What are teams supposed to do, look past the sucking? Him not being hired is his own doing at this point.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:08 pm
Swashbuckler wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm

All true, but I was just thinking about Bienemy specifically, since he's been a notable OC for a long time and this dude has been an OC for one year. He's actually biracial, so...hooray?

Here's the thing - has any considered that Bienemy is just a shitty candidate? I didn't say he had a shitty resume, but he's just not head coach material? Doesn't present himself well, doesn't show up prepared for the interview, gets stymied by questions he didn't anticipate, etc? If you've ever been in a position to hire somebody (I have and I hate it), there are people with great resume who you know would be a mistake, and vise versa.
That whole second paragraph is where I'm at. I am not really a great interview. I only really have one bad flaw. Ask me where I'll be in 5 years and you can tell I'm thinking "What kind of bullshit question is that?" because I feel there's no way to answer it. Telling them "You commit to a vision but you need to be prepared for everything that comes in the way of your vision, I feel like the question loans itself to what you can't see and how you prepare for it and overcome as opposed to what I want" makes me sound wishy washy, not answering their questions or just straight up bullshitting them. My interviews always tanked after that. I got no one to blame but me for that.

But back to EB. It's clear he's a great OC. It's clear he's got a great mind for the game. But if the dude shows up and says stuff like "That's not my job" I'm not surprised he hasn't been hired. We may never know the truth but if someone thought this dude was even Byron Leftwich -nevermind another McVay, he'd have a HC job
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm The fact that Bienemey can’t get hired despite calling plays for one of the best offenses is now proof that something is wrong with him. This is the conundrum some black coaches find themselves in. Everyone on the outside assumes that if you were any good SOMEONE would give you a shot and therefore when no one does it must be because you aren’t any good.

It really is sad. I respect Leftwich more for staying because it's possible he saw a red flag with the Jags (shocker) and pulled out. But the point makes itself when an idiot like Gase gets a job twice and Raheem Morris doesn't even get a whisper while killing it in LA. This is a league where a Muslim coaches the Jets, a man named Rivera runs it in DC. In light of that there is definitely something fishy. But those demanding action need to be careful to want change for those qualified as opposed to the pure emotion of feeling like change isn't happening fast enough.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm The fact that Bienemey can’t get hired despite calling plays for one of the best offenses is now proof that something is wrong with him. This is the conundrum some black coaches find themselves in. Everyone on the outside assumes that if you were any good SOMEONE would give you a shot and therefore when no one does it must be because you aren’t any good.

He also doesn't call any plays nor creates gameplans. Andy Reid confirmed that again in the playoffs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:32 pm

He also doesn't call any plays nor creates gameplans. Andy Reid confirmed that again in the playoffs.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Ahhh that I didn't know. He's gotta take an OC job somewhere else first. Andy doing all that work proves little on EB's end
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm

The fact that this is a league where Gase has been hired twice makes it a problem when it comes to diversity....or certainly contributes to it.

This doesn't appear to be the best year for the NFL to end up with one African American HC out of all of them...and one who's been in place for many years.

Not a particularly good look for the league. If McCown gets the Texans job over Flores, it's going to look worse.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What does McCown have to do to prove it was the correct hire despite apparently being racist?

And teams are gonna be even more skeptical of Flores after he went scorched earth with lawsuits.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Andy Reid said the exact opposite in regards to playcalling. He said Bienemy calls the plays.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:25 pm

Andy Reid said the exact opposite in regards to playcalling. He said Bienemy calls the plays.
He said he should have called better plays down the stretch and the loss falls completely on him. He spoke about the bad set of plays he gave Mahomes at the end of the first half, too.

He went into detail about how he changed his script in the first quarter to get them a faster start.

He also said before the playoffs that he tells EB what to call and he communicates it to the players.

EB added this:

"We have an operation in how we do things and we have a communications system, Bieniemy said. “I mean, coaches communicate with me, I’m communicating to the quarterback. To be honest with you, I think people are making something out of nothing.”

Andy Reid calls the plays in KC. Players say that EB has input and he helps, but Reid goes into great detail of why he called what play in regards to the circumstances after games. Other coaches under him left to be HCa eithiut calling plays, but EB is not a true OC there, like all OCs under Reid.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Houston Texans in talks with Lovie Smith about potentially becoming next head coach, sources say

Whaaaaaat? Jesus Christ
Snake

Post by Snake »

[Deleted insensitive remark]
Last edited by Snake on Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Swashbuckler wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm if the dude who works with Mahomes can't get a job then maybe it's true there's a very serious problem with systemic racism in the NFL and a very serious problem with Bieniemy people are seeing.
This statement is way off base. If he's not getting a job after getting so many interviews, then maybe he needs to improve his interview skills. Because the feedback I'm getting from my sources are that when he interviews, he comes across as off-putting and the owners/GMs don't like what he has to say.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion