Big Ben calls it a career

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Big Ben calls it a career

Post by Defense5599 »

Ben Rothlisberger has officially announced his retirement. Now he can go ride motorcycles and get hit by cars all he wants without drawing the ire of anyone but other drivers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... m-the-nfl/
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Snake

Re: Big Ben calls it a career

Post by Snake »

You know the league has changed for good when the 38 y/o corpse of Big Ben put up 33 TDs last season.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

No one had a better first year .. and ultimate one team success than BR.

Tomlin must have a plan

1. Ben Roethlisberger, 2004
13 starts, 66.4% comp%, 2,621 passing yards, 17 passing touchdowns, 11 interceptions, 144 rushing yards, one rushing touchdown
Roethlisberger didn’t have the statistical success of the others on this list, but winning is the ultimate goal, and he did that better than any other rookie QB in NFL history.
Taking over for the injured Tommy Maddox in Week 2, Roethlisberger went 13-0 as a starter, and sat out the final game of the 2004 campaign to rest for the playoffs, as the Pittsburgh Steelers finished 15-1. Roethlisberger also led his team to a win over the Jets in the divisional round before falling to the New England Patriots. His rookie year set the stage for a Super Bowl victory in 2005 and another in 2008. After suffering an injury last season and missing really the first significant time of his career, Roethlisberger is back for at least one more NFLrun in the Steel City.
https://clutchpoints.com/5-best-rookie- ... l-history/
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Was an honor to be alive during his tenure. Lots of ups and downs. Never will forget Haloti Ngata punching him in the face, and him continuing to play.

He had Hines Ward, Plexico Burress, Antonio Brown, and a plethora of great defensive players/runningbacks on his squad. Not to mention Steelers great Heath Miller. Maybe if Tomlin was able to gameplan Brady better, they’d have more rings. 2 is acceptable though.

Hope he rides off and does his own thing for the rest of his life. Heard the guy’s a total douche though.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

BJJ34 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am Heard the guy’s a total douche though.
You likely heard wrong. He's working with a firm to help homeless in Pittsburgh. He also have several other programs that are working in the community.

My finding is when you go that route, you are doing what you're called to do.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Crocaneers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 am
You likely heard wrong. He's working with a firm to help homeless in Pittsburgh. He also have several other programs that are working in the community.

He was a complete scumbag in his early years in the NFL but as he got older, he mellowed out and wizened up. He realized being a scumbag, not following the terms of his contract, and committing sexual assaults would shorten his NFL career.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Stay away from Winston. You've been warned
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 am

He was a complete scumbag in his early years in the NFL but as he got older, he mellowed out and wizened up. He realized being a scumbag, not following the terms of his contract, and committing sexual assaults would shorten his NFL career.
I won't defend nor justify anything in a past. I think anyone's redemption is a good story. Maturity does a lot of things to someone when you remove yourself from the equation.

I have a chance to hear him speak if I am in town (Virginia). I'll go for sure.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Crocaneers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am

I won't defend nor justify anything in a past. I think anyone's redemption is a good story. Maturity does a lot of things to someone when you remove yourself from the equation.

I have a chance to hear him speak if I am in town (Virginia). I'll go for sure.
I agree. The fact that he realized he wasn't acting appropriately and that he could have a longer career if he straightened himself out and that he took the necessary steps to do so is a good thing.
BLT

Post by BLT »

It's called PR. It's a well known fact he's a douche.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He has humbled when he got near the end of his career. But he had a weekly radio show he would do and would literally throw everyone on the team under the bus after every loss. It was never his fault, of course. Even his star players like AB. "If AB was catching balls better that game, maybe we could have sustained drives." Things like that.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:37 pm

He has humbled when he got near the end of his career. But he had a weekly radio show he would do and would literally throw everyone on the team under the bus after every loss. It was never his fault, of course. Even his star players like AB. "If AB was catching balls better that game, maybe we could have sustained drives." Things like that. In fact, it was that comment that triggered AB eventually needing to trade him.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:37 pm

He has humbled when he got near the end of his career. But he had a weekly radio show he would do and would literally throw everyone on the team under the bus after every loss. It was never his fault, of course. Even his star players like AB. "If AB was catching balls better that game, maybe we could have sustained drives." Things like that.
What was more off putting to me about Big Ben was the fact that he allegedly committed not one, but two sexual assaults and local law enforcement in the area supposedly got rid of the evidence.

Not only that but the issue with the motorcycle accident as well. He was warned the day before the accident about doing dangerous stuff like riding motorcycles and went ahead and did it anyway. NFL contracts have language that prohibits dangerous activities and motorcycle riding is specifically mentioned.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Ben Roethlisberger has benefitted greatly from an unwritten rule: you can be a loathsome piece of shit, but if you hang around long enough and stay out of the news, people will memory-hole what you did and pretend you're a great dude with wisdom to impart.

I'd name this rule after a certain President, but I don't want to tax the mods.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He also benefitted greatly from the halo effect.

He got carried by a great team to a 15-0 first season and a SB in the second and that shine lasted him a really long time.

He did eventually develop into the QB people believed him to be and did eventually have a great Super Bowl in his own right. But overall I feel Ben's actual play has been overrated for most of his career. Like a bizzaro Eli.