What's this mean?
Snake

Re: The requested user does not exist.

Post by Snake »

Yeah that’s a good question
PanteraCanes

Post by PanteraCanes »

You can’t ban bootz twice? Well, not on the same account.
ModX

Post by ModX »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:28 pmWhat's this mean?
Perhaps there is some context you want to share that makes this confusing for you?
nybf

Post by nybf »

ModX wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:10 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:28 pmWhat's this mean?
Perhaps there is some context you want to share that makes this confusing for you?
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 pm
ModX wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:10 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58
"Account deactivated by administrator"

Bootz got smacked for not heeding a mod warning.

TD/NFL forum is for football discussions. If it gets out of hand again, I'm sure mods will handle it. Rinse and repeat until the message sinks in or they get bored and make it indefinite, I suppose.
ModX

Post by ModX »

And that warning (that he ignored) was for attacking other posters. Take heed.
Snake

Post by Snake »

So he’s banned?
ModX

Post by ModX »

Suspended. For now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What’s the point of suspending accounts if the same people are going to come back and obviously post under different names immediately?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 am What’s the point of suspending accounts if the same people are going to come back and obviously post under different names immediately?
My thought exactly
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Mods are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just let them run the place. In the meantime, if you're really worried about suspended people coming back under different names, then I suggest you beware of any new user names that pop up. :D
Don't tread on me
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 am What’s the point of suspending accounts if the same people are going to come back and obviously post under different names immediately?
Hey, Monero and Lugz are totally different....Lugz said JTS would have been a 3rd rounder and Monero said a mid 2nd...and Monero hates Patrick Mahomes without mentioning anything about his race or hair type.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 am Mods are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just let them run the place. In the meantime, if you're really worried about suspended people coming back under different names, then I suggest you beware of any new user names that pop up. :D
The whole idea of heavy handed Mods suspending people for, typically questionable offenses, only to let them come back immediately with a new username just seems ridiculous.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

It does seem rather difficult to ban a poster. Bootz had maybe 30 different names before the Admins finally gave up and allowed Grownish to post.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 am Mods are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just let them run the place. In the meantime, if you're really worried about suspended people coming back under different names, then I suggest you beware of any new user names that pop up. :D
The whole idea of heavy handed Mods suspending people for, typically questionable offenses, only to let them come back immediately with a new username just seems ridiculous.
I think the issue is when a poster has multiple emails they can register along with a VPN that masks their IP. How do you stop that?
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:10 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am

I think the issue is when a poster has multiple emails they can register along with a VPN that masks their IP. How do you stop that?
You can't stop it. But you can ban (not suspend) every iteration that pops up. Yes, it's annoying. But if you want to foster healthy discussion, it's what you've got to do.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

nybf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:44 am

You can't stop it. But you can ban (not suspend) every iteration that pops up. Yes, it's annoying. But if you want to foster healthy discussion, it's what you've got to do.
That makes sense. However, how can you be sure a new user is, in fact, a suspended user?

And let's get this right out there since we know it's Bootz we're discussing here...

Do you suspect any current new users since Bootz was suspended of being Bootz? If so, who is the user you suspect and why do you suspect them?
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

We are such a little speck on the Internet. anyone who just shows up, unprompted, and starts contributing as if they have been here for a long time is suspect. Not, “hey guys I’m Monero! Glad I found this community!” Just straight into it? And with a good amount of volume?

It’s obvious
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 pm We are such a little speck on the Internet. anyone who just shows up, unprompted, and starts contributing as if they have been here for a long time is suspect. Not, “hey guys I’m Monero! Glad I found this community!” Just straight into it? And with a good amount of volume?

It’s obvious
Good point. But if that isn't convincing enough, this post seals it for me...

viewtopic.php?p=40466#p40466

A prototypical Bootz post. His very first post in the above linked thread and he's trying to start an argument. :lol:
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm

That makes sense. However, how can you be sure a new user is, in fact, a suspended user?

And let's get this right out there since we know it's Bootz we're discussing here...

Do you suspect any current new users since Bootz was suspended of being Bootz? If so, who is the user you suspect and why do you suspect them?
Well, you can't. However...

There was one poster I noticed who jumped right in to some conversations like they had been around forever. I clicked on the profile, saw that they registered back in September but waited until sometime within the last couple days to make their first post. Nothing wrong with lurking, but you don't lurk for 4 months and then make 5 posts in an hour.

I reported it with my hunches. The mod team checked it out, and handled it. For the record, that had nothing to do with boots.

Cna you immediately know that a new user is a retread? No. But like @snake said, we're a small alley in a giant city. How does someone just find us and jump right in like they've been around forever? With one new user in particular, I asked them straight up how they found us. They ignored the question. To me, that's a red flag. Enough to ban / suspend? No. But something to keep an eye on.

Watch someone long enough, and they tell on themselves. Like when lugs came back as a train. What did that take, 10 minutes before we found out?

And let's just say that the poster that was suspected of being someone else isn't actually someone else. That shouldn't really matter. Just hold tight to the idea that no one should be trying to make the message board all about them and it doesn't matter. If some brand new user comes storming in attention whoring it up, spamming the whole board with bullshit, they should be dropped. Not because they're allegedly a biposter, but because they're ruining the message board for everyone else.

Let's take a look at Monero. They registered Sunday night. First post was Monday morning. They've been on quite the prolific posting spree in the last 48 hours. Odd for someone brand new to a community. Maybe they were just looking for like minded people to chat with after the loss. There were probably a lot of those types of people, right?

Actually, no. The entire month of January we had 6 new users sign up at iabl. Only 2 of which ever made a post. The other new poster who made a post was only active for 2 weeks.

Given all of this, I don't think it's out of the ordinary that someone would look at a "new" user suspiciously. So you check their registration info. If it matches a suspended user, you ban them both. If it doesn't, you watch. Because eventually they'll tell on themselves. Whether it's turning the entire board into something about them or if the new account all of a sudden goes dark when the suspension is over. Remember grownish?
Snake

Post by Snake »

furthermore: Why should you care? Why do I care?

The majority of us here have followed this community from place to place over the course of - literally decades - at this point.

People have spent money to go meet others from here. People have spent money and time to build websites. This site is the third thing I check every morning. Work email, couple news headlines, pop in here. Why do I do that? Because there are good and intelligent people here. Because I look forward to thoughtful discussions regarding pretty much everything.

When you allow negative and bad faith elements to infiltrate over and over again, it discourages participation. They may drive traffic with trolling but it’s not sustained. It’s a net loss and people don’t wanna be around it.

I don’t think this place is at risk of failing. However, I know for a fact that a couple key contributors are not here largely because a deranged serial poster with an unhealthy relationship to this community is allowed to do whatever he wants and come back even after he’s banned.

I know we don’t have the luxury of turning new people away. I’ve tried a couple times to go out (online) and find new members. Do you know what we were known for? Bootz.

Pretty tragic considering the history of this place. Unsurprising tho, because he is on here 24/7, stirring up shit to the tune of at least 150,000 posts between all the screennames and all the websites.

So yeah, maybe it’s gatekeeping but I think it needs to happen if we plan on becoming a flourishing community again.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:07 pm furthermore: Why should you care? Why do I care?

The majority of us here have followed this community from place to place over the course of - literally decades - at this point.

People have spent money to go meet others from here. People have spent money and time to build websites. This site is the third thing I check every morning. Work email, couple news headlines, pop in here. Why do I do that? Because there are good and intelligent people here. Because I look forward to thoughtful discussions regarding pretty much everything.

When you allow negative and bad faith elements to infiltrate over and over again, it discourages participation. They may drive traffic with trolling but it’s not sustained. It’s a net loss and people don’t wanna be around it.

I don’t think this place is at risk of failing. However, I know for a fact that a couple key contributors are not here largely because a deranged serial poster with an unhealthy relationship to this community is allowed to do whatever he wants and come back even after he’s banned.

I know we don’t have the luxury of turning new people away. I’ve tried a couple times to go out (online) and find new members. Do you know what we were known for? Bootz.

Pretty tragic considering the history of this place. Unsurprising tho, because he is on here 24/7, stirring up shit to the tune of at least 150,000 posts between all the screennames and all the websites.

So yeah, maybe it’s gatekeeping but I think it needs to happen if we plan on becoming a flourishing community again.
Ha! We are pretty much on the same schedule. Boot up my computer, check my work email, open my news feed and check out the headlines...maybe read a story or two, then open IABL.

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree. I was seriously just trying to understand how we're to know when a suspended poster has registered a new user name. I get there are signs you can watch for. I even posted one of them in my previous post that I believe fits that bill. Anyway, I'm confident that the poster in question is being watched by the powers that be and that they will take any necessary action if/when needed. Well, I hope so anyway.
Don't tread on me
irishHITMAN4rent

Post by irishHITMAN4rent »

What was Bootz banned for this time??
And how long for??
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

The first line of defense is the community policing themselves; and following up with moderators. Mods do their homework and handle things. A few occasions, I've been asked to help out - but it all circles back to the userbase being proactive in calling out BS when they catch that first whiff.

I've been on a self-imposed administrative break to take of some personal things after my aunt's passing, and my work schedule is about to go to Mach 2 in a few weeks, but I am always available for private discussions via PMs.
ModX

Post by ModX »

And that is what is done so far. As well, it is worth discussing banning the original user name permanently if during a ban that poster repeatedly makes new accounts. That has its challenges as well but we are working on it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:24 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:07 pm furthermore: Why should you care? Why do I care?

Ha! We are pretty much on the same schedule. Boot up my computer, check my work email, open my news feed and check out the headlines...maybe read a story or two, then open IABL.

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree. I was seriously just trying to understand how we're to know when a suspended poster has registered a new user name. I get there are signs you can watch for. I even posted one of them in my previous post that I believe fits that bill. Anyway, I'm confident that the poster in question is being watched by the powers that be and that they will take any necessary action if/when needed. Well, I hope so anyway.
I think you just know when you know. None of us are forensic linguists, but we know each other enough at this point to recognize patterns of posting, language use, and other identifiers on a subconscious level. We had GrownishBF pegged pretty damn fast for e.g.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

We should have left him as Grownish- he was less combative there and didn’t post nearly as much.
I said what I said

nybf

Post by nybf »

Yeah, no.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Fuck it, I'm gonna ban every username I recognize. and go from there. Like a firebreak. Only more vindictive. First on the chopping block is @Buc2 , because he flaked on drinks. Second is @PetePierson for being a humongous twatwaffle.

Yall better start thinking of new usernames or remembering your alt account passwords, cuz Uncle Rocker is ready to rumble.
PanteraCanes

Post by PanteraCanes »

Damn, what was the password for NSYNCGator or NewKidsOnTheNole?
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Rocker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 pm Fuck it, I'm gonna ban every username I recognize. and go from there. Like a firebreak. Only more vindictive. First on the chopping block is @Buc2 , because he flaked on drinks. Second is @PetePierson for being a humongous twatwaffle.

Yall better start thinking of new usernames or remembering your alt account passwords, cuz Uncle Rocker is ready to rumble.
I'm confident there is a purple sarcasm shade in this post ... think twice before you cast a shadow on the land ..

Hope you're having a better morning
nybf

Post by nybf »

Flaking on drinks is definitely a bannable offense.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

nybf wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 am Flaking on drinks is definitely a bannable offense.
Get off my lawn!
Don't tread on me
Nano

Post by Nano »

I was wondering why the forum seemed more peaceful lately.