Payton stepping away - does this affect Brady's decision?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Tnbandwagoner

Payton stepping away - does this affect Brady's decision?

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

I can't stand Payton, and think he's a dirty coach; but apart from that, he's also one of the handful of the best coaches in the league. It's almost a guarantee that there will be a steep drop-off from him to whomever they hire to replace him, which in turn means there's a lot better shot of those two games being Ws next season.

The schedule is indeed brutal; but two games that were all but automatic losses for us the past two seasons just got a lot easier, as did winning the division.

Does this affect Brady's decision?
nybf

Re: Payton stepping away - does this affect Brady's decision?

Post by nybf »

There would have been a steep drop off had he stayed. But he's a pussy, so he's running like a bitch.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

No QB and they're in cap hell, right? He's getting out to protect his winning percentage. If he stays retired, he'll have a comfy commentator gig (hopefully replacing Romo).
BLT

Post by BLT »

They are in cap hell, yes. Defense is aging. Basically nobody on offense other than Kamara. Guy doesn't want to go through a rebuild.

Here's to the fall of the Saints! Finally it feels like they've been good for way too long.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Saints clock has run out. It's time to pay the piper. Payton is doing the smart, albeit cowardly, thing "stepping away".

I predict Jerry Jones to trade for his rights when he comes back next year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

So how many first round picks does Dallas give NO for Payton?
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm So how many first round picks does Dallas give NO for Payton?
Ricky Williams level
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm So how many first round picks does Dallas give NO for Payton?
None. Trading for a coach after "time off" is cheap because teams don't want to carry both HC contracts and the team has "moved on".
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

He's going to the booth. Amazon has newly acquired TV rights, yes? He'll get a uh...'prime' deal to be their lead commentator.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Be interesting to see if he has a clause that voids the Saint's claim on him if he's not coaching for a period of time. Also guessing Jerry Jones was on the phone with Payton's people around 30 seconds after this became public knowledge.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

I'd also be getting Dennis Allen on the phone about being the d-coordinator here if Bowles ends up elsewhere. Though Brady yelling at him in the second Saints game may be an issue.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm Be interesting to see if he has a clause that voids the Saint's claim on him if he's not coaching for a period of time. Also guessing Jerry Jones was on the phone with Payton's people around 30 seconds after this became public knowledge.
Thirty seconds? That seems extreme...I'd say more like fifteen tops.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He might be a scumbag but if we’re just talking about the ability to coach, he’s pretty fucking top-tier.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm I'd also be getting Dennis Allen on the phone about being the d-coordinator here if Bowles ends up elsewhere. Though Brady yelling at him in the second Saints game may be an issue.
I think the chance to be on a team with Brady might outweigh hurt feelings over Brady's invitation to him to self-fornicate.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:30 pm Saints clock has run out. It's time to pay the piper.
Same will happen for the Rams this offseason.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Monero

Post by Monero »

The NFC South is now completely wide open. It has become a race to whichever franchise finds the best HC and QB combination. Whoever finds that first will have a stranglehold of this division for the next 5-10 years. The Bucs need to decide if going for long term sustained success is better than going all in on Brady for 2022. Because if we choose going all in on Brady, we need to actually go all in. Doing so will fuck the cap and potentially even draft picks for the next several years, but if we get another Lombardi, it will be worth it. Payton retiring at least gets the Saints back to being the 'Aints where they belong.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Um... I think we pretty clearly have the best HC/QB situation
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Monero wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm The NFC South is now completely wide open. It has become a race to whichever franchise finds the best HC and QB combination. Whoever finds that first will have a stranglehold of this division for the next 5-10 years. The Bucs need to decide if going for long term sustained success is better than going all in on Brady for 2022. Because if we choose going all in on Brady, we need to actually go all in. Doing so will fuck the cap and potentially even draft picks for the next several years, but if we get another Lombardi, it will be worth it. Payton retiring at least gets the Saints back to being the 'Aints where they belong.
Who is this We? Team has no say in Brady coming back...
BLT

Post by BLT »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:05 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:30 pm Saints clock has run out. It's time to pay the piper.
Rams only lose Von Miller and Odell.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:14 pm Um... I think we pretty clearly have the best HC/QB situation
Assuming Brady doesn't retire. But then that's only for one year. After that we don't have a starting QB on the roster currently. I also don't trust Arians so it's mainly just Brady vs the NFC South.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:36 pm
None. Trading for a coach after "time off" is cheap because teams don't want to carry both HC contracts and the team has "moved on".
Payton stepped away. He's not still getting paid.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Even if Brady retires I still think we have the best HC/QB situation. If for nothing else by default.
Last edited by Doctor on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:40 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:36 pm

As long as he's away he's not. But when he comes back he will be, that's how teams retain rights. You can't retain rights and not pay the person.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:41 pm Even if we retire, I still think we have the best HC/QB situation. If for nothing else by default.
Who is the starting caliber QB on our team currently?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:40 pm

As long as he's away he's not. But when he comes back he will be, that's how teams retain rights. You can't retain rights and not pay the person.
I don't believe that is correct.
Don't tread on me
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

BLT wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:20 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:05 pm

They are currently $5 million over the cap with the 48 players they have signed and have zero draft picks in the first four rounds next year. No first round or fourth round pick the following season.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:41 pm Even if Brady retires I still think we have the best HC/QB situation. If for nothing else by default.
lol, you are the ultimate optimist with this team. You thought Winston would be/was elite, you think Trask is a better starting QB than Matt Ryan/Taysom Hill, you think all of our coaching decisions are brilliant or whatever else you've been pushing.

You are basically bizzaro Lugz.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Who are the starting caliber QBs in the division?

As far as our own, we still have Trask who is as promising an unknown as any other QBOTF in the league, including those that already have some starts under their belts like Fields and Mills and those that don't like Lance. Heck, you could probably throw Tua and Lawrence into that group as well. All these guys are more talent and promise than they are established known commodities.

And all higher on my list than whatever the Saints, Kitties, or Falcons currently have rostered.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

What would people say if Raheem Morris was the new Saints HC?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I would laugh and be very happy.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:41 pm Even if Brady retires I still think we have the best HC/QB situation. If for nothing else by default.
lol, you are the ultimate optimist with this team. You thought Winston would be/was elite, you think Trask is a better starting QB than Matt Ryan/Taysom Hill, you think all of our coaching decisions are brilliant or whatever else you've been pushing.

Um, I had Winston 4th on my list behind Brady, Brees, and Carr.

But I guess for the AnybodyButWinston mob anything short of a firing suqad is "thinking him elite".
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:49 pm Who are the starting caliber QBs in the division?

As far as our own, we still have Trask who is as promising an unknown as any other QBOTF in the league, including those that already have some starts under their belts like Fields and Mills and those that don't like Lance. Heck, you could probably throw Tua and Lawrence into that group as well. All these guys are more talent and promise than they are established known commodities.

And all higher on my list than whatever the Saints, Kitties, or Falcons currently have rostered.
Trask is a guy that many thought would be a mid-round pick who has poor mechanics and a weak arm. We basically spent a 3rd rounder on him and no one, outside of fans, has labeled him as QBOTF. There's a slim chance he is, but he's more likely, judging by history, going to be a back-up QB.

There's been nothing shown on tape that we should put faith into the idea that Trask is our next QB...certainly nothing that would sell anyone on the idea that him and BA are the best HC/QB in the conference. For all we know, he's worse than Gabbert, which I'm sure you would sell to others that Gabbert is a great option to start...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:50 pm What would people say if Raheem Morris was the new Saints HC?
Funny you ask, I actually just texted a group chat I predict just that just so they can scapegoat him after the ugly rebuild years.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Um, I had Winston 4th on my list behind Brady, Brees, and Carr.

But I guess for the AnybodyButWinston mob anything short of a firing suqad is "thinking him elite".
Winston in the correct offense could be elite. I think Brady coming in and doing what he did in year one showed that Winston was not elite under Arians.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm
BLT wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:20 pm

They are currently $5 million over the cap with the 48 players they have signed and have zero draft picks in the first four rounds next year. No first round or fourth round pick the following season.
Yeah, they mortgaged the future to hopefully get a ring. I'm just saying they don't really lose much next season.