With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
kaimaru

Re: With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

Post by kaimaru »

How is this guy still employed with NFL after this mock draft. FIVE QBs in the first round? (And #6 round 2.) They have us reaching for a center when Kenyon Green, G, Texas A&M is available? Round 2 was decent, depending on his combine: Logan Hall, DT, Houston. He has been shooting up a lot of mock drafts. Never watched any Houston games. Third round, Zamir White, RB, Georgia. He doesn't catch passes. Why would we even want him? Vaughn 2.0 maybe?

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-20 ... in-round-1
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa would be a home run. Let him and Robert Hainsey figure out who plays center and who plays guard. Both can play both.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:07 pm I think Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa would be a home run. Let him and Robert Hainsey figure out who plays center and who plays guard. Both can play both.
He would be, but I doubt he lasts that long.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:24 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:07 pm I think Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa would be a home run. Let him and Robert Hainsey figure out who plays center and who plays guard. Both can play both.
He would be, but I doubt he lasts that long.
Taven Bryan, Tyler Linderbaum, or Cameron Thomas?
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

If Bowles stays, we need a shut down corner.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:22 pm If Bowles stays, we need a shut down corner.
Corner is going to be interesting. I'm assuming CD24 gets the tag. Then next year, you've got him, Dean, and SMB all up. A lot is going to be riding on how those guys play next year - for us, and for them.

But yeah. BEST case, 2 of them get extensions. SMB seems like the odd man out, because he's more of a pure zone corner than a turn and run corner. But he's also likely to be the most affordable. Corner is definitely on the table in this draft. And the good news is, there are so many good ones, and so much scheme diversity among them, that we'll get a damn good one in the 1st or even the 2nd if we go that direction.

Of the guys who might be there, I really liked McCreary when I watched him. He's a more physical, more consistent Dean who can tackle.

Also, mandatory GBR - Cam Taylor-Britt. One of the best off coverage corners in this draft. Probably the best tackling corner in this draft. Not an elite athlete and doesn't have mind-blowing measurables, but he's good enough to compete down the field and he's going to be a monster in soft zone coverage. I don't think I saw a single WR screen to his side go for anything this year.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@MJW Tony Pauline has 32 CB's going in 7rds. Will some be better than what we got? I dunno, but we better look close at the whole picture. Could there be undrafted players that just need reps and training to be a part of those 32?

Personally I think that is what NFL teams just dont want to bother with.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The more time that goes by, the more I am hoping for Jameson Williams for us at pick 27 in the first round.

If not for his knee injury in the national championship game, Williams is a top 10 pick. As is, he will probably miss all of training camp and at least a few games to start the season even with an optimistic timeline. But if he returns healthy, which he should, he can FLY.

I've penciled him in for my big annual mock writeup post after free agency, and I can think of few guys I'd rather we have, especially if Godwin is gone as I suspect he will be.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can Trask get him the ball in 2.5 seconds?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Ekwonu is the only offensive player that I have given thought to for our first pick
Kona

Post by Kona »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:36 pm The more time that goes by, the more I am hoping for Jameson Williams for us at pick 27 in the first round.

If not for his knee injury in the national championship game, Williams is a top 10 pick. As is, he will probably miss all of training camp and at least a few games to start the season even with an optimistic timeline. But if he returns healthy, which he should, he can FLY.

I've penciled him in for my big annual mock writeup post after free agency, and I can think of few guys I'd rather we have, especially if Godwin is gone as I suspect he will be.
Even if we don’t lose Godwin, Williams would be a great pick at 27.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Kona wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:48 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:36 pm The more time that goes by, the more I am hoping for Jameson Williams for us at pick 27 in the first round.

I agree with the consensus. But I seriously doubt he drops that far even injured. There is a possibility he'll be ready for training camp from what I'm hearing out of Tuscaloosa. His agent hired one of the best rehab facilitators in the business.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:13 pm
Kona wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:48 pm

I agree with the consensus. But I seriously doubt he drops that far even injured. There is a possibility he'll be ready for training camp from what I'm hearing out of Tuscaloosa. His agent hired one of the best rehab facilitators in the business.
If he drops to us, Licht better be running that card up like he was being chased by a bear.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

These remarks gotta make me believe folks just love what college football has turned into. The convenient tie at the last moment and then 60 consecutive points a piece before the missed field goal to end the overtimes.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Williams would be an ideal complement to Evans on the other side. And Trask with that bread basket deep ball.

I think he could fall that far.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Zion Johnson.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:30 am Zion Johnson.
Been seeing him mocked to us a bunch recently, even we can re-sign Cappa I think this would be a good pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Just looking at how the draft could fall and where it's thickest in talent, I'm thinking this pick will be a WR, CB, or OL. Just the most likely to have the BPA when our pick roles around.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:42 am Just looking at how the draft could fall and where it's thickest in talent, I'm thinking this pick will be a WR, CB, or OL. Just the most likely to have the BPA when our pick roles around.
Everyone always says best player available, but they'll need to get a starter with this pick. Assuming Godwin is back. I guess we'll know more in a few weeks. If they lose just one of Jensen/Cappa they can solidify a really young OL with another guard/center at 27.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Kona wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:20 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:30 am Zion Johnson.
Been seeing him mocked to us a bunch recently, even we can re-sign Cappa I think this would be a good pick.
Been looking at him since @The Outsider mentioned him not long ago.

Have Zion plug in for Marpet at LG
Hainsey take over at Center (Jensen is going to cost alot)
re-sign Cappa at RG (or re-sign Stinne for much less?)

Fact is we have to get younger/cheaper on the Oline. We can role with that Oline for the next 2 seasons then let Donovan Smith leave when it's time to back the Brinks truck up for Wirfs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Do it, Dread!
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

If this comes to be I'm obviously taking full credit for it.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

With Marpet retiring, guard moved from a want to debatably the highest need on the team. Zion is a great player and would be a day one starter, and he likely is going to be there at the end of the first.

Do it Dom.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 pm With Marpet retiring, guard moved from a want to debatably the highest need on the team. Zion is a great player and would be a day one starter, and he likely is going to be there at the end of the first.

Do it Dom.
I'd really hate for need to make this pick for us, especially when you can make a case we need a defensive lineman every bit as much. Or that we will need a corner that much in a year.

But I highly doubt we'd end up regretting plugging in Zion (or Kenyon Green, for that matter) for a decade.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:37 am
Cheb wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 pm With Marpet retiring, guard moved from a want to debatably the highest need on the team. Zion is a great player and would be a day one starter, and he likely is going to be there at the end of the first.

Do it Dom.
I'd really hate for need to make this pick for us, especially when you can make a case we need a defensive lineman every bit as much. Or that we will need a corner that much in a year.

But I highly doubt we'd end up regretting plugging in Zion (or Kenyon Green, for that matter) for a decade.
If the entire interior offensive line from 2021 is gone you don’t have much choice. You do your best not to reach for someone, but if a highly rated guard is there don’t hesitate.

Especially if Trask is the guy. He’s going to need a pocket to throw from.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Seen mocks that have Zion going before us. He could very well be BPA when our pick rolls around.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:38 am
MJW wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:37 am

If the entire interior offensive line from 2021 is gone you don’t have much choice. You do your best not to reach for someone, but if a highly rated guard is there don’t hesitate.

Especially if Trask is the guy. He’s going to need a pocket to throw from.
Yeah, I wouldn't be upset. But at the same time, if you've got someone sitting there rated 5 or 10 slots higher, I'd hate to think "Oh well, we really need a guard" would dictate the pick. Never forget, that's why we drafted VHIII and not Laremy Tunsil.
Let's roll another joint
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Christian Watson from NDSU would be my pick at 27. He's being projected to go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd. While the wr position isn't a pressing enough need to invest such a high pick for a #3 WR, I think his ceiling is off the roof. He reminds me of Demariyus Thomas, only more athletic. He would be projected much higher in most other drafts, but this class has a ridiculous abundance of good wideout prospects.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Jonny wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:19 am Christian Watson from NDSU would be my pick at 27. He's being projected to go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd. While the wr position isn't a pressing enough need to invest such a high pick for a #3 WR, I think his ceiling is off the roof. He reminds me of Demariyus Thomas, only more athletic. He would be projected much higher in most other drafts, but this class has a ridiculous abundance of good wideout prospects.
And this is why you wait until round 2 to draft your receiver. Focus on your trenches in round 1. The interior of both lines needs to be shored up. I'm still high on Wyatt or Davis from UGA for the interior D-Line. Both are expected to go late first round.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:54 am
Jonny wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:19 am Christian Watson from NDSU would be my pick at 27. He's being projected to go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd. While the wr position isn't a pressing enough need to invest such a high pick for a #3 WR, I think his ceiling is off the roof. He reminds me of Demariyus Thomas, only more athletic. He would be projected much higher in most other drafts, but this class has a ridiculous abundance of good wideout prospects.
And this is why you wait until round 2 to draft your receiver. Focus on your trenches in round 1. The interior of both lines needs to be shored up. I'm still high on Wyatt or Davis from UGA for the interior D-Line. Both are expected to go late first round.
And how many times has Licht drafted in the trenches in the 1st round since he got here? I think we might go 3-4 DE this year only because we have no one else (unless we get someone in free agency). But who knows with Licht.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'd be tempted to take him in the 3rd.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:43 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:54 am

And how many times has Licht drafted in the trenches in the 1st round since he got here? I think we might go 3-4 DE this year only because we have no one else (unless we get someone in free agency). But who knows with Licht.
One time, but that one time was a big success (Wirfs)
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

WITH THE 60TH and 91ST PICK IN THE 2022 NFL DRAFT THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS SELECT?
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:41 am WITH THE 60TH and 91ST PICK IN THE 2022 NFL DRAFT THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS SELECT?
In the universe where we take Zion Johnson or Keyon Green in the first round, I'll say: #60, Phidarian Mathis, DL, Alabama, and #91, Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State

That would be a damn good first three rounds for me.
Let's roll another joint
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:51 am
kaimaru wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:43 pm

One time, but that one time was a big success (Wirfs)
Yes, but that was pure luck. This was one of the few drafts that all 4 OTs lived up to the hype.