With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Nano

Re: With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

Post by Nano »

So uh....what does Bowles like to draft lol
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Nano wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 pm So uh....what does Bowles like to draft lol
Scanned his 3 drafts in NY.

Linemen, Linebackers, quarterbacks, and wide receivers.

His 2017 draft was almost all secondary.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:24 pm
Nano wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 pm So uh....what does Bowles like to draft lol

I think our draft is probably going to be the same as it would have been otherwise. Or very close. I can see Bowles getting his way with the two 7ths. But Licht was calling the shots on draft day before, and if anything, that role has been solidified today. I never got the impression Bowles was particularly interested in that side of the equation. He's a ball coach.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:18 pm
_MB_ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:24 pm

I think our draft is probably going to be the same as it would have been otherwise. Or very close. I can see Bowles getting his way with the two 7ths. But Licht was calling the shots on draft day before, and if anything, that role has been solidified today. I never got the impression Bowles was particularly interested in that side of the equation. He's a ball coach.
Agree. The draft is Licht's baby.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I haven’t gotten a chance to look into prospects much yet, but this team could really get younger on the defensive line. Is there any good potential interior lineaman that could be an option at 27? A new running mate for Vea would be my ideal firsr round pick.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

YOU HAVE 3
TRADE OFFERS

NEXT →
Tampa Bay
Pick 27

SF
Pick 61

Pick 93

Pick 172

2023 SF 2nd

2023 SF 3rd
Backside

Post by Backside »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:45 am I haven’t gotten a chance to look into prospects much yet, but this team could really get younger on the defensive line. Is there any good potential interior lineaman that could be an option at 27? A new running mate for Vea would be my ideal firsr round pick.
Travis Jones (UCONN) is a guy I’ve seen linked to the Bucs a few times, and fits the mold.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I think they'll probably look to future needs and draft a cornerback like Kaiir Elam. He's tall and fast. Seems like a Bowles guy.
Phantom

Re: With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selec

Post by Phantom »

Here is Mike Tannenbaum picks

Jordan Davis at 27, I don’t know about that

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/stor ... arterbacks
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:12 pm Here is Mike Tannenbaum picks

Davis is this draft's biggest hit or miss prospect. He'll either be one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the league or he'll be out of the NFL in three years. Physically, there isn't even anyone to comp him to. I mean that. I looked. The best I can do is recent Hall Of Famer Richard Seymour, but Davis is bigger and faster (in shorts.)

At the same time, his film often sucks. Ask Cheb. Dude plays high. He takes more plays off than you'd like. He's often content to stalemate a blocker than blow him up.

He's either going to be Contract Year Albert Haynesworth or he's going to be "After He Got Paid" Albert Haynesworth.

Good risk at #27? Abso-fucking-lutely. At #7? Not so much.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I expect Jordan Davis to be gone before we pick, because men that size (6'6", 340lb) aren't supposed to be able to move that quickly. That's 1% of 1% of NFL athletes, and Davis is draftable just because of that, film quibbles and technique poppycock be damned.

If he drops down to our pick... well, it would be interesting. Because Arians, when he was coach, seemed to prefer guys in the first round (White, Wirfs, and JTS) with troubling technical flaws but elite-of-the-elite measureables. Hell, I've heard him say in multiple interviews across multiple years that he can coach up elite athletes, and thus far his staff has been able to.

Jordan Davis would certainly fit that same mold. Whether or not Bowles feels the same way is a philosophical question at the moment. But it he does, Davis could well be a Buc.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:38 am

I expect Jordan Davis to be gone before we pick, because men that size (6'6", 340lb) aren't supposed to be able to move that quickly. That's 1% of 1% of NFL athletes, and Davis is draftable just because of that, film quibbles and technique poppycock be damned.

If he drops down to our pick... well, it would be interesting. Because Arians, when he was coach, seemed to prefer guys in the first round (White, Wirfs, and JTS) with troubling technical flaws but elite-of-the-elite measureables. Hell, I've heard him say in multiple interviews across multiple years that he can coach up elite athletes, and thus far his staff has been able to.

Jordan Davis would certainly fit that same mold. Whether or not Bowles feels the same way is a philosophical question at the moment. But it he does, Davis could well be a Buc.
That's a good point. Remember Robert Nkemdiche? Similar guy, in the sense that he was a 5 star, all world recruit, had all the measurables and skill you could ask for, but only sporadically put it together. Or another guy, the tackle...Humphries. Same deal. All world talent. Considered inconsistent. Another Arians first rounder.

Of course there are a lot of variables here.

The one thing I expect with #27 is someone who can help out the 2022 team. Doesn't mean he has to start or it'll be a "need" pick. But whether it's a guard to compete with Stinnie, a receiver who can play in 00 or 10 personnel immediately, a defensive lineman who can eat some snaps, or even a corner who can play in dime...I think it'll be someone who helps immediately.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:18 am

That's a good point. Remember Robert Nkemdiche? Similar guy, in the sense that he was a 5 star, all world recruit, had all the measurables and skill you could ask for, but only sporadically put it together. Or another guy, the tackle...Humphries. Same deal. All world talent. Considered inconsistent. Another Arians first rounder.

Of course there are a lot of variables here.

The one thing I expect with #27 is someone who can help out the 2022 team. Doesn't mean he has to start or it'll be a "need" pick. But whether it's a guard to compete with Stinnie, a receiver who can play in 00 or 10 personnel immediately, a defensive lineman who can eat some snaps, or even a corner who can play in dime...I think it'll be someone who helps immediately.

Did a sim this morning where the Steeler's gave us a 2023 2nd round and pick 52 for 27.

26 days and we will find out.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I too don't expect him to last that long... but assuming both him and his linemate Devonte Wyatt are available, who do you take?
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I was asking that with Jones and Wyatt. When we added a DB we were going with 2 guys in the middle a lot. It would be good to have another guy with Vea where they could switch things up some on who gets the double team. In that regard I keep going with Jones.

Also, it seems that our edge OLB's do not seem to work real well when we do that. I get the feeling we need more power on the edge when we do that.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Defense5599 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:05 am

I too don't expect him to last that long... but assuming both him and his linemate Devonte Wyatt are available, who do you take?
One could rightly argue that Davis and Vea have too much of a skill overlap, and we don't need another big run plugger, we need a guy with third down ability who can generate a rush, not another stone wall.

It depends on what you want your defense to look like and how much flexibility is important to you. If you want a more diverse skillset, you pick Wyatt. If you want to supercharge an area of existing strength, you pick Davis.

If it were me I would take Davis. His ceiling is too high to not take that chance.

Assuming we added Davis, that just makes the center of our defense even stronger, to the point where I think people don't even call runs between the B gaps against us. Davis would keep our backers pristine, letting LVD and White run and chase even more which is their strong suit.

On passing downs, just tell him and Vea to bullrush the apex of the pocket. There are only three offensive linemen there, so one of you is going to get singled. Walk your guard's ass back into the QB's lap, either flushing him deeper into the waiting arms of Shaq and JTS, or causing him to step around you to try to beat Devin White and LVD.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

IDK how much it's worth not but Bruce did speak to how they were looking for more speed inside and not two Veas.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:45 pm IDK how much it's worth not but Bruce did speak to how they were looking for more speed inside and not two Veas.
So, I'm guessing you don't know who that is?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:03 am Don't draft for need.
Everyone drafts for need.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nope
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:36 pmNope
You're going to be wrong about it no matter how many times you insist you aren't.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:45 pm IDK how much it's worth not but Bruce did speak to how they were looking for more speed inside and not two Veas.
Travis Jones is faster than gapshooter.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Is it possible to trade down twice and still get Travis Jones?
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

They're visiting with Burks out of Arkansas. Would they draft a 1st round WR?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Redrum wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:16 pm They're visiting with Burks out of Arkansas. Would they draft a 1st round WR?
It seems both possible and unlikely. Our Top Three receivers - ages 28, 26, and 26 - are all under contract for the next 3 seasons. Additionally, we have an interesting group behind them - Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller, Jaelen Darden, Breshad Perriman, Cyril Grayson - etc. So it seems *unlikely* we'd target another wideout with our top pick.

OTOH, Godwin is going to start the year on the PUP list. It might be December before he's back to normal. Evans's cap hit goes up to $24 mil next year. Gage can be cut painlessly after the year if he struggles. And none of that "interesting" group seized the job last year.

I still don't think it happens. There are a couple of great guards in this draft. A great center. Three or four defensive linemen worth the pick. Several corners. If we take a wideout, I gotta believe we think he's a REALLY special prospect.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:39 am
Redrum wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:16 pm They're visiting with Burks out of Arkansas. Would they draft a 1st round WR?
It seems both possible and unlikely. Our Top Three receivers - ages 28, 26, and 26 - are all under contract for the next 3 seasons. Additionally, we have an interesting group behind them - Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller, Jaelen Darden, Breshad Perriman, Cyril Grayson - etc. So it seems *unlikely* we'd target another wideout with our top pick.

OTOH, Godwin is going to start the year on the PUP list. It might be December before he's back to normal. Evans's cap hit goes up to $24 mil next year. Gage can be cut painlessly after the year if he struggles. And none of that "interesting" group seized the job last year.

I still don't think it happens. There are a couple of great guards in this draft. A great center. Three or four defensive linemen worth the pick. Several corners. If we take a wideout, I gotta believe we think he's a REALLY special prospect.
Agree on your take, but I don't think Godwin starts on the PUP. I think he's ready to go by training camp.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:18 am
MJW wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:39 am

Agree on your take, but I don't think Godwin starts on the PUP. I think he's ready to go by training camp.
From your lips...
Let's roll another joint
Backside

Post by Backside »

I’ve heard that Arkansas WR compared to Deebo Samuel. If that’s true, and we actually used him out of the backfield I’d be fine with it. We need a change of pace back anyway.

If Leftwich was feeling confident enough to add those kind of packages to the playbook and advocating for the right kind of players to plan around, I think it’d be a great sign.

Regardless of the how the draft goes our running scheme really needs a shake up.
Backside

Post by Backside »

The Athletic did seven round mock.

Bucs:
1(27): G Kenyon Green, Texas A&M
2(60): DL Logan Hall, Houston
3(91): LB Channing Tindall, Geogia
4(133): CB Akayleb Evans, Missouri
7(248): TE Derek Deese Jr., San Jose St.
7(261): P Jordan Stout, Penn St.

I won't pretend to know anything about these players. My only note is that I hate the reasoning behind the Green pick. Zion Johnson went a few picks before, but we still draft a guard to fill the need. Maybe Green is as good or better than Johnson, but that is definitely not the consensus. By most accounts he's a tier below as a prospect. So it just seems like reaching for need.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Ask Mike
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The majority of the boards on fanspeak go with Green.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Backside wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:01 pm The Athletic did seven round mock.

Bucs:

I won't pretend to know anything about these players. My only note is that I hate the reasoning behind the Green pick. Zion Johnson went a few picks before, but we still draft a guard to fill the need. Maybe Green is as good or better than Johnson, but that is definitely not the consensus. By most accounts he's a tier below as a prospect. So it just seems like reaching for need.
I’ve seen a few mocks that have Green rated higher than Johnson. Both should be plug and play Guards with pro bowl potential. I’d be happy with either honestly.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bucs:

This would be a weird draft for me. Green is a nice safe pick. But Hall, I'm not sure his fit. I guess he's kind of an Anthony Nelson type? 6'5 267...not sure he helps the main issue with the D-Line. Tindall would be a possible successor to LVD, but I'm wary taking a linebacker that small (6'2 230) for that role. And yes, I know LVD is that small, but LVD also has supernatural instincts for avoiding blockers. Who knows if Tindall does?

Evans would be a solid value pick. Deese I know almost nothing about, except that his dad played for us. Stout, again, I know little, but it feels like about time to get cheaper at punter. Can't get too much cheaper than pick 261 for four years.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Kona wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:31 pm

Bucs:

I’ve seen a few mocks that have Green rated higher than Johnson. Both should be plug and play Guards with pro bowl potential. I’d be happy with either honestly.
I have Green a little ahead of Johnson on my official MJW big board. But it doesn't matter much. Both guys start Day One, both are plus guards in the league, possibly Pro Bowlers. It would very much resemble 2006, when we took Davin Joseph and plugged him in at guard and good to go.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

There are dudes in every draft who, when your team takes them, you nod slightly, clap exactly twice, and then did a little fist pump. Both those guards are exactly those kinds of picks. JTS was that kind of pick last year. Wirfs was a "high five the room" pick. White, it depended.
Let's roll another joint