With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Backside

With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

Post by Backside »

The top 28 is locked in. Bucs get 27 just ahead of Green Bay.

What will the Bucs do?
13F11B

Re: With the 27th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…

Post by 13F11B »

It all depends on what happens with free agents and if Brady stays.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kenny Pickett
Backside

Post by Backside »

Gardner from Cincy would never drop far enough. But I love that dude. It’s a good CB draft and we could definitely use one. Draft is also supposed to be solid in the trenches, which is always needed.

WR is now a need, and probably RB as well. If there was ever a year to have a great batting average on draft picks..
Snake

Post by Snake »

Don't draft for need.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I would hope not a quarterback. None of the runners are worthy of a first round pick. Ditto with the tight ends.

Receivers are interesting. It's a deep class. Both of the Ohio State guys are likely gone by the time our pick rolls around, as is Williams from Alabama. Treylon Burks is an interesting prospect but also likely gone by that point. I like Drake London from USC as kind of a more finesse Mike Evans. Jahan Dotson doesn't impress me much, but I've seen him mocked to us alot; I don't think he's explosive enough to justify his small size.

There's a non-zero chance that we go for a guard or center, depending on what happens in free agency. I haven't scouted them much.

We're set at edge and all the juicy guys would be gone there anyways.

Interior d-line is a HUGE need with both Gholston and Suh set to be free agents, but none of these guys really light my fire. Either of the Georgia guys would be fine, Jordan Davis or Travon Walker, although I have my reservations about both. Demarvin Leal looks underwhelming to me. Logan Hall could be alright but again, not really getting my juices flowing as a first round possibility.

If we drafted an off-ball linebacker in the first I'd puke.

Plenty of good corners in the draft, especially projected at the end of the first round. Kaiir Elam, Derion Kendrick, Daxton Hill, Trent McDuffie, and Roger McCreary are all rated as late first-rounders. Can't say I've seen them all, but that could be good, particularly if we let Carlton Davis get paid elsewhere.

Safety? Not our biggest need but Jaquan Brisker is a good player.

---

In short, I have no idea. As others have said, it all depends based on what we do in free agency in March.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Realistic options in order of my personal wants

1: Kenny Pickett if Tom retires.
2: Treylon Burks
3: Devonte Wyatt
4: Daxton Hill
5: Jordan Davis
6: Demarvin Leal
7: Roger McCreary
8: Andrew Booth Jr
9: Trent McDuffie, only this low because I don't think there's much chance he's there at 27. He's my top corner pick if he's there though.

If Brady stays I think Burks is a no brainer if he's there. He brings a Deebo Samuel playmaking ability in a DK Metcalf body. We dont have a receiver on the roster that has the type of height weight speed component that Burks offers. Brady would have a trio of WRs again without having to babysit one of them so they don't go crazy.

If he's gone, then Wyatt is my next choice. He would be a great compliment to Vea with his fast get off and the ability to penetrate gaps. Vea needs his partner in crime and I think Wyatt fits the bill.

Pickett would be great value if Brady retires. His ceiling is so much higher than Trask and I would genuinely be excited to see the offense built around him. Good chance he's long gone though and who knows if Brady will retire or not.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm I would hope not a quarterback. None of the runners are worthy of a first round pick. Ditto with the tight ends.

Receivers are interesting. It's a deep class. Both of the Ohio State guys are likely gone by the time our pick rolls around, as is Williams from Alabama. Treylon Burks is an interesting prospect but also likely gone by that point. I like Drake London from USC as kind of a more finesse Mike Evans. Jahan Dotson doesn't impress me much, but I've seen him mocked to us alot; I don't think he's explosive enough to justify his small size.

There's a non-zero chance that we go for a guard or center, depending on what happens in free agency. I haven't scouted them much.

Interior d-line is a HUGE need with both Gholston and Suh set to be free agents, but none of these guys really light my fire. Either of the Georgia guys would be fine, Jordan Davis or Travon Walker, although I have my reservations about both. Demarvin Leal looks underwhelming to me. Logan Hall could be alright but again, not really getting my juices flowing as a first round possibility.

Plenty of good corners in the draft, especially projected at the end of the first round. Kaiir Elam, Derion Kendrick, Daxton Hill, Trent McDuffie, and Roger McCreary are all rated as late first-rounders. Can't say I've seen them all, but that could be good, particularly if we let Carlton Davis get paid elsewhere.

---

In short, I have no idea. As others have said, it all depends based on what we do in free agency in March.
Respectfully disagree on Dotson. He might be my favorite "late 1st round" prospect I've watched so far. Yes, he's smallish, and no, he's not a 4.33 type guy (though he does have that knack for being a step faster than the guy covering him.) He runs good routes, has good body control, and has great hands. Seriously one of the most aggressive hands catchers I've watched coming into the draft. I think in the right system he catches 80 balls as a rookie and goes from there. If Brady is back, he'd make a ton of sense just in terms of next year.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Monero

Post by Monero »

I'm All In on Treylon Burks being our pick. He's 6'3" 230lbs and looks to run at the low 4.4 range. He's a matchup nightmare and completes our trip of Evans Godwin Burks poison pill that defenses will have to swallow.

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 amKenny Pickett
What are you going to give up in order to move up in the draft to get him?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:36 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 amKenny Pickett
What are you going to give up in order to move up in the draft to get him?

Tom!

Stephen M. Ross is an American real estate developer, philanthropist, and sports team owner. Ross is the chairman and majority owner of The Related Companies, a global real estate development firm he founded in 1972.

Pay us good, for that one year run.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:03 am Don't draft for need.
Definitely not. Look at how drafting Wirfs and Winfield backfired on us. If only we had drafted BPA all draft...
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm I like Drake London from USC as kind of a more finesse Mike Evans. Jahan Dotson doesn't impress me much, but I've seen him mocked to us alot; I don't think he's explosive enough to justify his small size.

Interior d-line is a HUGE need with both Gholston and Suh set to be free agents, but none of these guys really light my fire. Either of the Georgia guys would be fine, Jordan Davis or Travon Walker, although I have my reservations about both.
London may not make it to the combine. He might be unable to practice until shortly before it. It might affect his draft stock.

Dotson is better than he looks. QB Clifford has been inaccurate on deep balls. In the Wisconsin game alone he missed THREE 60+ yard TDs on a wide open Dotson who got past the defense.

What about Perrion Winfrey? I know he's a 3 technique but I am not good at evaluating linemen. Do you think neither Georgia DT or both may be gone by our pick?
Last edited by kaimaru on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:03 am Don't draft for need.
Definitely not. Look at how drafting Wirfs and Winfield backfired on us. If only we had drafted BPA all draft...
They may have actually been the BPA or close to it. I was banging the table for Winfield during the lead up.

All in all, it is a imprecise science. Teams are probably grouping guys into tiers/peer groups. What I’m talking about is reaching down a tier or two just because it’s a better fit.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:02 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm I like Drake London from USC as kind of a more finesse Mike Evans. Jahan Dotson doesn't impress me much, but I've seen him mocked to us alot; I don't think he's explosive enough to justify his small size.

Interior d-line is a HUGE need with both Gholston and Suh set to be free agents, but none of these guys really light my fire. Either of the Georgia guys would be fine, Jordan Davis or Travon Walker, although I have my reservations about both.
London may not make it to the combine. He might be unable to practice until shortly before it. It might affect his draft stock.

Dotson is better than he looks. QB Clifford has been inaccurate on deep balls. In the Wisconsin game alone he missed THREE 60+ yard TDs on a wide open Dotson who got past the defense.

What about Perrion Winfrey? I know he's a 3 technique but I am not good at evaluating linemen. Do you think neither Georgia DT or both may be gone by our pick?
Oh, I'm sure that London's draft stock will likely drop. Kinda counting on that, really, as a possible first rounder for us. Not that we will get him -- Licht hasn't drafted a bigger receiver since he picked Mike Evans. Moreover, Brady likes guys who can get open fast, hence why he fed Godwin and AB touches ad nauseum, so I expect if we go for a receiver early in the draft it'll be for a quicker guy with route running chops who can work himself open in the first two seconds of a route.

I'll have to take another look at Dotson.

Winfrey is a developmental lineman, I think. I was reading last year that he had first round buzz, and he's been dropping consistently since that time. He's currently a second to fourth rounder depending on where you look, and for good reasons I think. If you'll notice, he makes most of his plays in pursuit and rarely wins at the line for a number of different reasons; not exactly what you want to be seeing in a potentially top defensive lineman.

I think someone will take Davis before our pick, and it's a fairly likely that Walker and Wyatt will both be gone as well.
MJW

Post by MJW »

My "problem" with London and Burks is they both do Mike Evans things, and I think we'd benefit more from a guy who does AB/Godwin type things - underneath/intermediate routes, smoke routes, slicing up the middle of the field, etc.

Like I said, I like Dotson. I love both the Ohio State boys but they'll both be gone.

Here's a guy for the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how he works out - Kyle Philiips from UCLA. 5'10 190 and he does everything you want in that role. And he's an excellent punt returner. He's going to run well, but not great, and he's not huge. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd be a 1st rounder.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

On record on three points here:

- I really like Kenny Pickett. He's not plug and play. He needs to work on pocket poise a bit. But I see the tools for him to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

- I have a pretty good draft record and a fucking horrendous quarterback record, so Pickett will probably be awful.

- We're not drafting a quarterback. OBP loved Trask in the draft last year and I haven't heard anything to make me believe that has changed. Trask is the future as long as BA is here.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If this is the draft where we can build our d-line then I think that is what we should do. Other than Tom being off with his throws in the first half - it was the reason we lost. Too many times we got to 3rd and long only to be easily converted.

It has actually been a steady problem for a few years.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:59 am My "problem" with London and Burks is they both do Mike Evans things, and I think we'd benefit more from a guy who does AB/Godwin type things - underneath/intermediate routes, smoke routes, slicing up the middle of the field, etc.

Like I said, I like Dotson. I love both the Ohio State boys but they'll both be gone.

Here's a guy for the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how he works out - Kyle Philiips from UCLA. 5'10 190 and he does everything you want in that role. And he's an excellent punt returner. He's going to run well, but not great, and he's not huge. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd be a 1st rounder.

Turn your switch to defense, I challenge you to do all defensive picks. I watched you guys love on our expensive o-line all year, while they struggled in many ways with many teams. It may as well be cheap guys making Brady throw the ball in 2.3 seconds.

We need the 2.3 second guys on our team.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:39 am On record on three points here:

- I really like Kenny Pickett. He's not plug and play. He needs to work on pocket poise a bit. But I see the tools for him to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

- I have a pretty good draft record and a fucking horrendous quarterback record, so Pickett will probably be awful.

- We're not drafting a quarterback. OBP loved Trask in the draft last year and I haven't heard anything to make me believe that has changed. Trask is the future as long as BA is here.
I haven’t heard anything, sources? He was awful in preseason against 3rd string defense. Gabbert>Trask. No one heard a peep about him in regular season.. NONE
Monero

Post by Monero »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:59 am My "problem" with London and Burks is they both do Mike Evans things, and I think we'd benefit more from a guy who does AB/Godwin type things - underneath/intermediate routes, smoke routes, slicing up the middle of the field, etc.

With all due respect I disagree on London and Burks just being "Evans type" receivers. Both Drake and Burks are incredible after the catch. Do you remember the Rams game last year when Evans made that crazy effort play in the redzone where he fought multiple defenders for a TD? That's a routine play for Drake. He's bigger than Evans bodywise and uses it well, making him very hard to bring down after the catch. He would be amazing as a #2 receiver for Brady with Godwin in the slot. Burks is not really close to what Evans is. He's much closer to Deebo Samuel in DK Metcalf's body. I'm pulling for Burks personally because I think he's our #1 receiver on day 1. He can turn a 3 yard slant from Brady into a 20 yard gain, all in a 6'3" 220-230 lb frame. He would give us a height weight speed combination presence that our receivers currently lack.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 am

I haven’t heard anything, sources? He was awful in preseason against 3rd string defense. Gabbert>Trask. No one heard a peep about him in regular season.. NONE
I really hope we're not married to Trask if Brady retires. There's nothing special about him on tape. In fact his selection makes me worried about Licht's ability to scout QBs if he saw Trask and though he's not only our future, but we need to select him with a valuable 2nd round draft pick during a repeat campaign with Brady already under center. If Licht falls victim to sunk cost fallacy with Trask, we could have a wasted two to three years of our current roster. The Bills Chiefs game should be a paradigm shift for all QB evaluation. There's a Before and After quality to their game and when you compare Trask to either, he's not even in the same galaxy of either Allen or Mahomes in any facet of the game. I get that Josh Allen's and Patrick Mahomes don't grow on trees, but we at least need to try and find a guy that checks off some of their boxes. Trask checks of exactly zero. Personally I've never seen a QB succeed with the physical traits that Trask offers, which is weak arm, long delivery, average size, low mobility. Brady at least has great feet, pocket presence, and one of if not the fastest delivery of all time. If Licht forces Trask upon the franchise, we won't be relevant again until 2025 at the earliest, which after having elite QB play for just the two years we've had Brady, going back to the old style of awul Bucs QB play is just unacceptable.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Carson Strong is another QB that would be much better suited for the NFL than Trask. He's actually running the Air Raid offense at Nevada and is used to throwing the ball 45-50 times a game. He's basically tailor made for the Arians offense. If Brady retires I'm truly worried that we're going to pass on much better QB prospects just to force Trask onto the field in order to justify his selection. Either Strong or Pickett would be monumental upgrades over Trask and they would be players to get excited about.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Georgia DT Jordan Davis is my draft crush. If he falls to 20 we should trade up and get him.

Imagine having him and Vea in the middle of DL for the next 5 years!!!

Now I need a napkin or odd sock..

#DoItDom
Monero

Post by Monero »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:44 pm Georgia DT Jordan Davis is my draft crush. If he falls to 20 we should trade up and get him.

#DoItDom
That would be a fun pick. Could basically run a 4 man defensive front with Shaq and JTS on the edge and still have sound run defense. White and LVD kill the outside run while not having to devote resources from the secondary to try and stop the run first. Could be transformational for our defense. I've seen mocks where he's in the top 15 and others where he's damn near falling into the 2nd round. It would be hilarious looking at Davis and Vea in the middle of the defense and attempting to run it up the gut.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Cheb
Thanks
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I think someone will take Davis before our pick, and it's a fairly likely that Walker and Wyatt will both be gone as well.

That leaves Cameron Thomas
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 pm @Cheb
Thanks

Good job! We need to keep him motivated.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:44 pm Georgia DT Jordan Davis is my draft crush. If he falls to 20 we should trade up and get him.

#DoItDom
The draft picks you would give up would involve how many years?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

1st round mock draft round-up: Three people are mocking QBs to us in the first round? Ouch.

3 QB
3 WR
2 TE
2 OLine
7 DLine
6 CB

Drafttek
Ian Cummings - PFN
Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Brad Weiss - Fansided
Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

Daniel Jeremiah - NFL
Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State

Charlie Campbell - Walter Football
Luke Easterling - Draftwire
Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Chris Trapasso - CBS Sports
Ryan Wilson - CBS Sports
Trey McBride, TE, Colorado St

Bryan Perez - The Draft Network
Darian Kinnard, IOL, Kentucky

Zack Patraw
Kenyon Green, IOL, Texaas A&M

Mel Kiper Jr - ESPN
Kyle Yates - Fantasy Pros
Tankathon
DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M

BR NFL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT
Austin Smith - Flurry Sports
Logan Hall, DL, Houston

Walter Cherepinsky - Walter Football
Travon Walker, DE/DT, Georgia

Todd McShay - ESPN
Cameron Thomas, DE, San Diego State

Paul M Banks - The Sports Bank
Jermaine Johnson, DL, Florida State

Bucky Brooks - NFL
Josh Edwards - CBS Sports
Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

Vinnie Iyer - Sporting News
Joe DiTullio - The Game Haus
Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

Trevor Sikkema, PFF
Shane Hallam - Draft Countdown
Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The Queen calls in a favor and we pick Andre Carter II.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm I would hope not a quarterback. None of the runners are worthy of a first round pick. Ditto with the tight ends.

---

We have the sort of first world problems that come with winning. It's a lot harder to pick in the late 20's then in the top 10.

You see things much like me. I really covet someone who can replace Suh but I don't know who that is. The more I read, the more I like the selection of corners we will have a shot at. Even if we pay Davis, getting a true stud to line up next to him would be a fantastic option. If we can draft a corner who is as good as Davis, or hopefully better, that kind of corner tandem can change a defense.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Monero wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 am

With all due respect I disagree on London and Burks just being "Evans type" receivers. Both Drake and Burks are incredible after the catch. Do you remember the Rams game last year when Evans made that crazy effort play in the redzone where he fought multiple defenders for a TD? That's a routine play for Drake. He's bigger than Evans bodywise and uses it well, making him very hard to bring down after the catch. He would be amazing as a #2 receiver for Brady with Godwin in the slot. Burks is not really close to what Evans is. He's much closer to Deebo Samuel in DK Metcalf's body. I'm pulling for Burks personally because I think he's our #1 receiver on day 1. He can turn a 3 yard slant from Brady into a 20 yard gain, all in a 6'3" 220-230 lb frame. He would give us a height weight speed combination presence that our receivers currently lack.
I'm not disputing their ability, I'm questioning how they'd fit into the offense as designed. Not as bullish as you are on their ability to do the things Brady needs for the offense to be successful. Also, yeah, maybe you are a little too high on Burks. I watched him. I question his ability to get open consistently against NFL speed.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 am

What did you expect to hear about a rookie and designated 3rd quarterback during the season? Did you think he was going to earn the #2 job under BA? Was the media asking a lot of questions about a guy who was inactive all season by design?

It's possible he was complete ass all year and OBP is past him. I acknowledge I don't know. But I do know they loved him during the process last year, to the point where they discussed taking him at #32. I have no reason to think that's changed.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I might even consider Trevor Penning