A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Crocaneers

Re: A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

Post by Crocaneers »

There are Carson Wentz rumors floating...

Dunno
Monero

Post by Monero »

Crocaneers wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:53 am There are Carson Wentz rumors floating...

Dunno
I hope those rumors have nothing to do with the Bucs..
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:29 am
Crocaneers wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:53 am There are Carson Wentz rumors floating...

Dunno
I hope those rumors have nothing to do with the Bucs..
Again .. I saw it's writers throwing shit against a wall to see who gets closest

https://heavy.com/sports/tampa-bay-bucc ... ntz-colts/
MJW

Post by MJW »

Wasn't BA in on Bridgewater before landing Brady? Because that would be horrible also.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Monero

Post by Monero »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:22 pm Wasn't BA in on Bridgewater before landing Brady? Because that would be horrible also.
I'd rather roll the dice on a Trubuski than endure a Bridgewater 2022 campaign...
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

QB
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Hello Kirk Cousins…
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Welp, what's our cap number without TB12?
Nano

Post by Nano »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:51 pm Welp, what's our cap number without TB12?
According to OTC, we had 11 million going into this offseason. With Brady retiring, we're about to take a 32 million dead money cap hit.

So...yeah.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Move QB to the top of the list. We currently have none.

I really hope Carr can be had.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Nano wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:56 pm
The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:51 pm Welp, what's our cap number without TB12?
According to OTC, we had 11 million going into this offseason. With Brady retiring, we're about to take a 32 million dead money cap hit.

So...yeah.
Eh, I read something saying if the team rosters him until June 2 (which they can still do even now that he's announced it, they don't have to process his retirement immediately) that we can avoid that.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:08 pm Move QB to the top of the list. We currently have none.

I disagree.

We have Trask, who let's not forget was drafted by this same GM and coaching staff as the QBotF. Gabbert could probably be resigned for a song and dance. Moreover, we have no money, and if Brady retires we are going to have even less.

All those dreams of signing or trading for a Big Name quarterback, a likely retread who is at best inconsistent and at worst sucks so bad their former fanbase wants them gone? Going down that road would be a horrible idea.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm
Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:08 pm Move QB to the top of the list. We currently have none.

I disagree.

We have Trask, who let's not forget was drafted by this same GM and coaching staff as the QBotF. Gabbert could probably be resigned for a song and dance. Moreover, we have no money, and if Brady retires we are going to have even less.

All those dreams of signing or trading for a Big Name quarterback, a likely retread who is at best inconsistent and at worst sucks so bad their former fanbase wants them gone? Going down that road would be a horrible idea.
Carr is good people. Your point about money is valid. I simply will not consider Trask a viable QB at this point and neither should Licht. Unless we're going to have a planned down year where we punt the season away, then Trask can be the fall guy and earn us the #1 overall pick.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Might sound mean but I really wish Arians would retire as well. Let's just get this rebuild started. One last year with Arians is just delaying it.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Nano wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:28 pm Might sound mean but I really wish Arians would retire as well. Let's just get this rebuild started. One last year with Arians is just delaying it.
I agree. We can get involved with the current coaching hiring process right now

Personally I'd like to see Mike McDaniel be given a chance. Keeping Arians is pointless.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

With the Brady retirement looking to be crystallizing, I think you sell like crazy in a full tear down:

* Get whatever you can get for White. Odds are fair that Bowles won’t be here for a long haul and White was a Bowles pick for his defense. The next coordinator almost surely won’t be as blitz-heavy and will ask the MLB to play more orthodox ILB.

If we can get a pick somewhere in the 50-90 range (mid 2nd to late 3rd), jump on it and move White before the 2nd contract comes around.

* Move LVD to a contender for a 3rd or 4th.

* Move Barrett mid-season for a playoff team that is desperate for pass rush juice (late 1st if we can get it).

* Get comp picks for CD3, Whitehead, Jensen, Cappa.

* Sign Godwin long term.

* See what Trask, Hainsey, Stinnie, Vaughn can do with Evans, Godwin, Marpet, Wirfs around them.

* If Smith regressed without Brady, move him in the off-season for a LT desperate team.

+++++++++

Defense will be a train-wreck but offense will be intact enough that we’ll get a fair idea what potential Trask has (and if we need to further invest in the position). We’ll win like 3 games next year but we’ll draft high and also have a ton of picks in the next few years due to trades and FA/Leftwich comps.

Unless we somehow come away with a Rodgers in the off-season, we’re going to win between 3 games and 7 games. Much, much, much better to let the dam burst immediately than try to futilely staunch the flow and persist in the worst place possible in the NFL for a few years:

“Just south of mediocrity with neither premium picks nor a bunch of draft assets nor a well-developed idea of/plan for your QB picture for the next 7 years (or Tampa Bay for the pre-Brady decade).”

That limbo is actually Football Hell.
Last edited by Nobody on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm
Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm

I disagree.

Carr is good people. Your point about money is valid. I simply will not consider Trask a viable QB at this point and neither should Licht. Unless we're going to have a planned down year where we punt the season away, then Trask can be the fall guy and earn us the #1 overall pick.
Writing off Trask before he takes a regular season snap is dumb. What is it based on? Your analysis of his college tape? The same tape that over two seasons led to a 17-5 record, 4300 passing yards in his final season, leading the country in passing touchdowns with 43 that same season, and being a Heisman finalist, all while playing against SEC competition? If so, I doubt you could find your ass with both hands and a map, and I'd argue that you don't know what you're seeing when you watch football. Dude can sling it with the best of them.

Besides, we have seen what middling quarterback play gets you in the NFL. If you don't have The Guy, you are wasting your time. The current NFL is littering with average quarterbacks, and they inevitably lead average teams. All those free agent retreads, none of them are The Guy, and they aren't likely to become so on a new squad. They may fool you for a year or three, like Garropolo or Tanehill or even Cousins, but they eventually prove that they don't have It. The only exceptions over the past 20-ish years that come to mind are Brees with the Saints, Peyton with the Broncos, and Brady here; and two of those three were already locked in first ballot Hall of Famers by that point in their careers. How likely do you think it is that we capture lighting in a bottle in that? Are you willing to bet all of our cap space on it?

I say let Trask shoot his shot and see what we have. If we can have elite quarterback play or even good quarterback play on a rookie contract, that's the fucking dream.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:31 pm With the Brady retirement looking to be crystallizing, I think you sell like crazy in a full tear down:

* Get whatever you can get for White. Odds are fair that Bowles won’t be here for a long haul and White was a Bowles pick for his defense. The next coordinator almost surely won’t be as blitz-heavy and will ask the MLB to play more orthodox ILB.

If we can get a pick somewhere in the 50-90 range (mid 2nd to late 3rd), jump on it and move White before the 2nd contract comes around.

* Move LVD to a contender for a 3rd or 4th.

* Move Barrett mid-season for a playoff team that is desperate for pass rush juice (late 1st if we can get it).

* Get comp picks for CD3, Whitehead, Jensen, Cappa.

* Sign Godwin long term.

* See what Trask, Hainsey, Stinnie, Vaughn can do with Evans, Godwin, Marpet, Wirfs around them.

* If Smith regressed without Brady, move him in the off-season for a LT desperate team.

+++++++++

Defense will be a train-wreck but offense will be intact enough that we’ll get a fair idea what potential Trask has (and if we need to further invest in the position). We’ll win like 3 games next year but we’ll draft high and also have a ton of picks in the next few years due to trades and FA/Leftwich comps.

Unless we somehow come away with a Rodgers in the off-season, we’re going to win between 3 games and 7 games. Much, much, much better to let the dam burst immediately than try to futilely staunch the flow and persist in the worst place possible in the NFL for a few years:

“Just south of mediocrity with neither premium picks nor a bunch of draft assets nor a well-developed idea of/plan for your QB picture for the next 7 years (or Tampa Bay for the pre-Brady decade).”

That limbo is actually Football Hell.
We owe it to Evans to get him to a contender as well. He doesn't deserve to go from catching TD passes from Brady to winning 2 games a year. He served his time with the Bucs and should be able to compete for Lombardi's during the last could years of his prime.

He'd be perfect for the Ravens, big target for Jackson to just chuck it to when under pressure.

Is it fair to say we went from arguably the best roster in the league to potentially the worst in the span of one year?

Oh well, we got our hardware. Back to It's a Bucs Life.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

You're retarded.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:32 pm
Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Writing off Trask before he takes a regular season snap is dumb. What is it based on? Your analysis of his college tape? The same tape that over two seasons led to a 17-5 record, 4300 passing yards in his final season, leading the country in passing touchdowns with 43 that same season, and being a Heisman finalist, all while playing against SEC competition? If so, I doubt you could find your ass with both hands and a map, and I'd argue that you don't know what you're seeing when you watch football. Dude can sling it with the best of them.

Besides, we have seen what middling quarterback play gets you in the NFL. If you don't have The Guy, you are wasting your time. The current NFL is littering with average quarterbacks, and they inevitably lead average teams. All those free agent retreads, none of them are The Guy, and they aren't likely to become so on a new squad. They may fool you for a year or three, like Garropolo or Tanehill or even Cousins, but they eventually prove that they don't have It. The only exceptions over the past 20-ish years that come to mind are Brees with the Saints, Peyton with the Broncos, and Brady here; and two of those three were already locked in first ballot Hall of Famers by that point in their careers. How likely do you think it is that we capture lighting in a bottle in that? Are you willing to bet all of our cap space on it?

I say let Trask shoot his shot and see what we have. If we can have elite quarterback play or even good quarterback play on a rookie contract, that's the fucking dream.
I'm basing my opinion of Trask on not assuming he's going to be an extreme outlier. I've yet to see a weak armed, unathletic, slow delivery QB with mediocre accuracy and mechanics succeed at the NFL level. Maybe Trask will overcome his long list of physical deficiencies and become an incredible pocket passer. But I'm skeptical to say the least.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Mediocre accuracy that led to nearly 70% completions percentages in college. In the preseason this year he hit some many guys in the hands only for it to be dropped that it was almost a meme. His delivery is speedy enough. He's not going to win a footrace but who cares.

As far as his mechanical difficulties, I will donate $10 to your charity of choice if you can point out his mechanical flaws with any degree of credibility or acumen. I look forward to reading your riveting analysis.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BootzishGottaMonJaboo
Nano

Post by Nano »

According to report, Arians has given his entire staff permission to seek jobs elsewhere, even if not promotions
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nano wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:55 pm According to report, Arians has given his entire staff permission to seek jobs elsewhere, even if not promotions
Maybe we can hire more non-binary trans POC staff in their place to bolster Bruce’s street cred.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Capsaicin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:44 pmQB
:lol:

Yep
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm Mediocre accuracy that led to nearly 70% completions percentages in college. In the preseason this year he hit some many guys in the hands only for it to be dropped that it was almost a meme. His delivery is speedy enough. He's not going to win a footrace but who cares.

As far as his mechanical difficulties, I will donate $10 to your charity of choice if you can point out his mechanical flaws with any degree of credibility or acumen. I look forward to reading your riveting analysis.
I never heard Trask being called weak-armed either.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Nano wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:55 pm According to report, Arians has given his entire staff permission to seek jobs elsewhere, even if not promotions
Can only hope that's signaling his imminent retirement as well.

Just need Bowles to go as well. No interest in being stuck with Bowles as a promoted HC.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

As I predicted. Arians is retiring too. Licht has to start getting his interviews in order now.
Monero

Post by Monero »

13F11B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:01 pm
As I predicted. Arians is retiring too. Licht has to start getting his interviews in order now.
Mike McDaniel please...
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

If the reports that Arian has given blanket permission to the entire coaching staff to seek jobs elsewhere (regardless of promotion), then I hope their goal is to suck-out-loud for Stroud.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Addendum to my post above:

* Escalate as much of the money you allocated toward future cap to buy last year's window to next year's cap number (including Brady's massive retirement cap number).

* Teams make stupid, desperate moves for CBs all the time (because you need so many to have success). If you can swindle a 4th (or even early 5th) for SMB, make that move.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Another thought.

What a calamity (and absolutely Bucs thing to do) if we draft Trask as the QBotF in round 2 of 2021, therefore not bulwarking our 2021 roster for a title run, and the entire coaching staff vacates the premises only to (a) leave Trask without any continuity and (b) inevitably have the next coaching regime pull the very typical "this isn't my QB, I didn't draft him/want him, so now I'm drafting my guy" shtick.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm Another thought.

What a calamity (and absolutely Bucs thing to do) if we draft Trask as the QBotF in round 2 of 2021, therefore not bulwarking our 2021 roster for a title run, and the entire coaching staff vacates the premises only to (a) leave Trask without any continuity and (b) inevitably have the next coaching regime pull the very typical "this isn't my QB, I didn't draft him/want him, so now I'm drafting my guy" shtick.
It was an absolute disaster of a draft pick that was inexcusable then, and a complete embarrassment now. There's simply no justifying the pick. The only way Licht can make up for his bungle is to at least not succumb to sunk cost fallacy and have they guts to admit a mistake and move on. If he tries to square peg Trask we could be looking at multiple years lost of viability.
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

I'm somewhat dejected to hear that TB12 is retiring and now the dominoes fall. Gronk, others to abandon ship. Coordinators too. The SB win was worth it, but I'm afraid the team doesn't really have a plan going forward. Arians has what? Maybe one more season in him before he leaves (if that)?

Reminds me of Groundhog Day - cold, gray, and it's going to last us the rest of our lives (or a decade).....
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:28 pm Might sound mean but I really wish Arians would retire as well. Let's just get this rebuild started. One last year with Arians is just delaying it.
If Brady's done, sure. Make a clean break from this era. Focus on re-signing our young talent and retool our losses through the draft with guys who fit what the next guy wants to do. Do it right, you're back to legit competing in a couple of years.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."