A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Rocker

A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

Post by Rocker »

ROLB (JPP Replacement)
ILB (LVD Replacement/understudy)
NCB (SMB Replacement)
DT (Suh retires)
TE (Gronk retires)
QB (Brady finally ends it)
CB1 (CD3 walks?)
WR2 (Assuming we cant resign Godwin)
SS (Whitehead walks)
P (Pinion sucks. I said it)

This list is by no means comprehensive, I'd love to discuss and entertain thoughts about the 2022 roster. Regardless of Brady's future, we are in for a somewhat major change in this team moving forward.
Cheb

Re: A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

Post by Cheb »

The ROLB replacement is already on the roster, JTS.

As far as roster construction, alot could change based on our coordinators. It wouldn't shock me if one of them left, and if they do, we could be looking at schematic changes on their side of the ball.
Nano

Post by Nano »

I feel like we try to heavily lean on this season's draft class.

For ROLB, I think JPP retires and Joe Tryon is likely the starter next year. He has a lot of potential, though is weak against the run. Lets see what happens with a full offseason for him.

For ILB, Lavonte David still has a year left, and I think we drafted KJ Britt to be his understudy.

For NCB...who knows lol. SMB is not good. Not terrible, but not good. Maybe he returns in that role with the staff believing he'll be better if he's healthy.

For DT, I think we draft someone high for this role. Suh is gone...he looked old this year and should retire. Tbh, we don't really have anyone for that role right now outside of Roches(is he even signed next year?). Filling this would be my odds on favorite with our first pick this draft(27th according to Tankathon)

For TE, I think it depends on Brady. OJ Howard is gone...and honestly, it's probably for the best. Cutting Brate(who hasn't been good in a couple of years) could save us some money if we want to re-sign someone else.

For QB, who knows lol. If Brady wants to come back, he's back in a heartbeat. If he decides to retire, we're completely fucked at the position(and as a team) and we should start mocking QBs with our top 5 pick in 2023. Is Trask the future? Personally, I don't think so. More unknown than Gabbert at least(and Gabbert is FA as well). Hey, doesn't Aaron Rodgers want a new team?

For CB1, I think Davis is the most likely of our "big" FAs to walk this offseason. He can be really good, but also occasionally has cold streaks and beaten by speed. I think we could target this high in the draft, maybe another 2nd round pick.

For WR2, I assume we really try to re-sign Godwin, even if Brady retires. If he walks though, maybe we go after someone cheaper. Some decent mid-tier WRs in FA like Jamison Crowder or Byron Pringle. I don't think we trust Johnson or Miller. Draft depth too.

For SS2, Whitehead walks. Tell him to go get paid before he gets too hurt. Stick with Edwards and AWJ as our starters, draft depth.

For P...shit, PFA or 7th round pick. Cheaper than Pinion at least.

Positions not on your list:

RB1/RB2: Do we let Fournette and Jones walk? Both could want their big contract finally and we might not be able to pay either. Only RB on the roster for next year right now is Vaughn. Maybe we draft someone.

OC/RG, I assume at least one of Cappa and Jensen is gone. Maybe both. That kid we drafted from Notre Dame this year is supposedly a swiss army knife of an OLmen. I say he's groomed to fill in for whoever we don't re-sign.

Glad I'm not Licht
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I don't know why there's so much talk about Brady retiring. Nothing he has said at any point this season is indicative of a man who isn't going to be playing football next season.

I get it, he's 44, but he's also still one of the best players in the league.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Probably too much uncertainty in areas of the utmost importance (QB, coaching) to make informed predictions but I'll make some uninformed thoughts.

- I like Whitehead's playstyle. I still let him walk if he gets paid by another team. Winfield is a great LOS safety under team control a while. I'd like to add another coverage safety. SMB's lack of physicality is unacceptable from a NB. CDIII is likely too expensive to re-sign. Sherman's corpse must be returned to the morgue. Major turnover at CB is almost a given.

- Am I the only one who likes Nuñez-Roches? Billy Gholston is 30. Suh just turned 35. I'd be surprised if either were here next season unless Gholston takes a discount.

- Brady needs excellent pass pro and sure handed RBs. Preferably more than 1. You could fire the entire room tomorrow and I wouldn't blink tbh. Rojo's absence was just as noticeable as his presence. that is to say, not noticeable at all. Seriously, I can't recall a single post saying "if we only had Rojo..."

- I need more Scottie Miller in my life. Less Tyler Johnson. I can live with: 1. Evans. 2. ??? 3. Perriman. 4. Miller. 5. ???. Perriman has juice. Miller has juice. Evans is true #1 (hi Jalen!). That #2 needs to be physical though. Maybe it's Godwin. Money will decide.

- Justin Watson ended up on the practice squad for the first time in four years. Any chance he returns?

- Gronk retires and Howard moves on and the Bucs don't have a "real" TE rostered.

- JTS will be starting next season. Nelson will be the primary edge backup. If JTS struggles, Nelson may just take the starting spot.

- I have nothing against JPP. Injuries suck, getting old sucks. He played the game like a complete savage and I'll always respect him for that. Money is tight and it's just time. JTS needs to play with that JPP edge next season. Especially if we want to have a top run D again.

Given our financial constraints, I'd love to see Brady leading a lean and mean balanced offense next season. One that doesn't abandon the run. Money being spent more wisely and allocated to areas requiring more depth, etc. Though this likely requires a couple coordinators to go and a general philosophy shift is my guess.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Think we keep Godwin, ideally Whitehead and Fournette too and then hammer CB in the draft.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Bucs won't be able to sign both Godwin and CD3 so imo we'll prioritize Godwin.

Cappa and Whitehead will test the FA market and likely be gone also.

JPP and Suh are done with football imo. Bucs should re-sign Nacho.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Rocker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm ROLB (JPP Replacement)
ILB (LVD Replacement/understudy)
NCB (SMB Replacement)
DT (Suh retires)
TE (Gronk retires)
QB (Brady finally ends it)
CB1 (CD3 walks?)
WR2 (Assuming we cant resign Godwin)
SS (Whitehead walks)
P (Pinion sucks. I said it)

This list is by no means comprehensive, I'd love to discuss and entertain thoughts about the 2022 roster. Regardless of Brady's future, we are in for a somewhat major change in this team moving forward.
ROLB- We drafted JTS to eventually take over for JPP. Anthony Nelson has looked good in spot starting duty.

ILB- LVD has a year left on his deal and we drafted KJ Britt to take over for him.

DT- Glaring need because I don't think Suh is coming back. There are some good DT's that can be had in the first two or three rounds.

QB- Will he or won't he? Either way, we have Trask. But if Brady retires, do we bring in a proven vet?

TE- As Brady goes, Gronk goes. I think we move on from OJ Howard. This draft class is deep with TE's

CB- Re-signing Davis is a top priority. I think the team may tag him.

WR- Whether or not we re-sign Godwin, I'd love to get the Williams kid from Bama who busted his knee in the championship game. He was a top ten pick. Now that he's hurt, he will drop into the mid 20s where we are.

SS- I'm iffy about Whitehead. He's good when he can play but he can't stay healthy

P- There are plenty on the market to replace Pinon.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
nybf

Post by nybf »

DC - Todd Bowles is a fucking fraud
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

I think we should take a pass-rusher with our first pick. After that, the best skill-position offensive player available other than QB (this is all assuming Brady comes back because I don't want to contemplate the other possibility at this juncture), preferably a fast RB who can catch passes or a dominant TE. Then a LT, then a CB, then maybe a LB who can run but doesn't constantly get out of position like a certain player we have at the moment, then another LT and another CB.
Monero

Post by Monero »

In the ideal world Arians retires/gets fired and we pursue someone like MIke McDaniel. Bring the Shanahan system to Tampa. Surround him with a veteran coaching staff on defense and special teams. Then focus most of our resources to the offense since that's the most important aspect of team building now. We have too many holes to fill to try and rebuild both the offense and defense in one offseason. There's about $30ish million in cap restructuring/cuts that can happen which gets us to nearly $60 mil in cap space so keeping Godwin, lenny, and at least Jense/Cappa shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to set up the infrastructure needed so in the even we have to start Trask, he is supported as much as possible. If he's not the guy, chances are we have a top 5 pick and we can add a young talented QB in 2023 and the offense will be setup for him.

The defense will have to be patchwork for the 2022 season. Something has to give and unfortunately it's the defense this time around. I'd rather have a functioning offense that has some exciting plays and puts up points but loses due to defense than having a defense work their ass off only to watch the offense barely move the ball. That's basically what the Bears had and Im not interested in living the Bears life.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Monero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 pm In the ideal world Arians retires/gets fired and we pursue someone like MIke McDaniel. Bring the Shanahan system to Tampa. Surround him with a veteran coaching staff on defense and special teams. Then focus most of our resources to the offense since that's the most important aspect of team building now. We have too many holes to fill to try and rebuild both the offense and defense in one offseason. There's about $30ish million in cap restructuring/cuts that can happen which gets us to nearly $60 mil in cap space so keeping Godwin, lenny, and at least Jense/Cappa shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to set up the infrastructure needed so in the even we have to start Trask, he is supported as much as possible. If he's not the guy, chances are we have a top 5 pick and we can add a young talented QB in 2023 and the offense will be setup for him.

The defense will have to be patchwork for the 2022 season. Something has to give and unfortunately it's the defense this time around. I'd rather have a functioning offense that has some exciting plays and puts up points but loses due to defense than having a defense work their ass off only to watch the offense barely move the ball. That's basically what the Bears had and Im not interested in living the Bears life.
Put down the pipe hombre.
Monero

Post by Monero »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:30 pm
Monero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 pm In the ideal world Arians retires/gets fired and we pursue someone like MIke McDaniel. Bring the Shanahan system to Tampa. Surround him with a veteran coaching staff on defense and special teams. Then focus most of our resources to the offense since that's the most important aspect of team building now. We have too many holes to fill to try and rebuild both the offense and defense in one offseason. There's about $30ish million in cap restructuring/cuts that can happen which gets us to nearly $60 mil in cap space so keeping Godwin, lenny, and at least Jense/Cappa shouldn't be an issue.

If you don't mind me asking, which part do you disagree with and why?
nybf

Post by nybf »

God damn lugz you thirsty bitch stop spamming the fucking board with all these alts.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s funny because you can tell they meticulously monitor their syntax and diction and try to bury their posting pathologies but it always shines through.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Monero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 pm

The first 6 words. Guy just won a super, turned the franchise around and went 13-4 with a rash of injuries and a quitter. Put the pipe down, you don't get rid of a successful NFL coach for a "what if."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Seriously, we finish with a franchise-best 13 wins along with a top offense and defense and fans want our championship coaching staff to go elsewhere, retire, or die.

I don't get it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pick out five games the coaching staff was more responsible for a W than just sheer out talenting/Bradying the other team the last two years.

You can’t.

Pick some losses where this Buccaneers team was simply outcoached. Almost all.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So you're arguing Brady just had two of the best seasons of his career, while in his mid 40s, in spite of Bruce Arians?
Gee, by that logic I wonder how much you believe BB must have been holding Brady back all these years...
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm So you're arguing Brady just had two of the best seasons of his career, while in his mid 40s, in spite of Bruce Arians?
Gee, by that logic I wonder how much you believe BB must have been holding Brady back all these years...
You need to step back and see the forest for what it is. Early 21st century was a far more balanced run/pass league. Defenses also were allowed far more contact with receivers. Frankly, the game was a lot more physical. Nowadays it's a track meet. The running game is basically an anomaly, and defenses are pretty much hogtied on how to defend, hit receivers.

I mean, that Bills v Chiefs game last night? Everyone is lauding it as OMGZ the greatest game EVAR!!1, when in reality, that OT coin toss put both defenses out of their misery. :lol:
Last edited by CantonJester on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm So you're arguing Brady just had two of the best seasons of his career, while in his mid 40s, in spite of Bruce Arians?
This is about ten miles away from being accurate. Brady never had close to the level of weapons while he was with the Pats that he had here, WHEN they weren't all on IR. We were able to mask pedestrian (a euphemism, to be sure, for it) playcalling when all our starters were out there because we just had more talent than most teams; then we started getting injuries and it leveled the field.

Give Belichick this roster last year and he goes undefeated. This year he would lose one or two because of injuries - but he sure as hell would not have lost that game yesterday because he wouldn't have abandoned the run in the first quarter, and he sure as shit would not have blitzed on the final play (or for that matter, have left Kupp single-covered at any point during the game).
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Right... so our three time SB champion, two time Coach of the Year, who has fielded a top 6 scoring offense in 5 of the last 7 years (one of which he was retired for)... is a fraud.

Yeah, no chicken little'ing in this thread at all.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:19 pm Seriously, we finish with a franchise-best 13 wins along with a top offense and defense and fans want our championship coaching staff to go elsewhere, retire, or die.

I don't get it.
I don't want them to go anywhere. I really only have issues with Bowles in some critical situations where he makes what feel like predictable gut calls instead of playing the odds (using analytics). Even then I think part of the issue with the defense is middle-of-the-road DBs vs. elite DBs.

If Brady goes I think the coaching staff goes as well. I just don't think Arians wants to do a rebuild. I think Brady staying in 50% what his family wants and 50% what Licht can pull off to put a 'one more shot' roster together. To put it more clearly, if Licht can't put together a roster Brady believes in I think he will retire. If Licht puts together a roster he believes in he may still retire if his family asks him to. To be honest, if he was my dad I am not sure I could ask him to quit a game he loves. At the same time, if I had his money I would not be working looking to spend some really good healthy years doing amazing things with my family. The family issue seems really murky to me but it is clear he loves his kids a great deal.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Arians has already said he's not going anywhere, even if Brady walks. Which, I for one, am grateful for.

I can't think of any coaching staff out there that would be an improvement over what we have, let alone a better HC/QB combo to do a speedy reset with than Arians/Trask-year-2.

With that said I doubt Brady is going anywhere. His body feels great after an extra long season and he's at the top of his game.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Monero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 pm

All of it, because it's all asinine.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Back on topic, just some quick thoughts about our current guys because those decisions will contribute to creating the "team needs" for 2022:

Keepers:
Assuming Brady stays, work the Brady/Gronk combo one more time. The "why" part of that is obvious.
Davis. He has a hard time staying healthy, but that may help us afford him because I think he'd otherwise go get himself paid.
Whitehead. He's a playmaker, and I like playmakers.
Godwin. Franchise him again, but after he puts up a great year with Brady and no A.B. distractions, he'll outprice us in 2023.
Suh. He can still play, and his veteran leadership is a plus. Especially since JPP is in the "nope" column.
Gholston. For the right price.
RoJo. If only because I'm ditching almost everyone else in that room.

Nope:
JPP. He should likely call it a career at this point.
Fournette. I really like him, but I think he'll be too much for a running back.
Bernard and Bell. No explanations needed.
O.J. Howard? Not even wasting the font.
Jensen. That is, unless we can get something really friendly and unless Brady says otherwise (I mean, it's HIS center, after all).
Cappa. I'm actually indifferent.

With that done, our biggest needs are:
Offensive Tackle
Edge Rusher
Running Back
Corner
Wide Receiver
Snake

Post by Snake »

In that scenario, sign another White/Bernard third down back for cheap and pray for health. Draft a mid round all purpose back. Re-sign Perriman for depth. And you’re getting close.

But I still don’t see how it’s feasible to bring back both Davis and Godwin. I’d almost rather let CD3 leave and take that $15m-$18m and shore up 3 areas instead.

It’s a mess. I’d love to hear what Godwin is asking for.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:11 pm Back on topic, just some quick thoughts about our current guys because those decisions will contribute to creating the "team needs" for 2022:

Keepers:
Assuming Brady stays, work the Brady/Gronk combo one more time. The "why" part of that is obvious.
Davis. He has a hard time staying healthy, but that may help us afford him because I think he'd otherwise go get himself paid. I don't see a way he stays if we make a serious multi-year offer to Godwin
Whitehead. He's a playmaker, and I like playmakers. I think he chases the money, thankfully, Edwards is still under team control through next year
Godwin. Franchise him again, but after he puts up a great year with Brady and no A.B. distractions, he'll outprice us in 2023.
Suh. He can still play, and his veteran leadership is a plus. Especially since JPP is in the "nope" column. Disagree, but I can see the argument for one last hurrah
Gholston. For the right price. Highly underrated, unglamorous yet important role, but aging. I'd like him back as well
RoJo. If only because I'm ditching almost everyone else in that room. Why not?

Nope:
JPP. He should likely call it a career at this point. Yup
Fournette. I really like him, but I think he'll be too much for a running back. Yup
Bernard and Bell. No explanations needed. Yup
O.J. Howard? Not even wasting the font. Yup. Same for Brate. TE position needs turnover, now.
Jensen. That is, unless we can get something really friendly and unless Brady says otherwise (I mean, it's HIS center, after all). Give the ginger maniac as much time as he likes. He's a tone setter for the line and still playing at a high level. We could do worse.
Cappa. I'm actually indifferent. The small college victory that is Ali Marpet doesn't quite extend. He's serviceable. I'm okay with moving on as well.

With that done, our biggest needs are:
Offensive Tackle
Edge Rusher
Running Back
Corner
Wide Receiver
I think like as you do, mostly. Unless the toast comes after the jelly is already on the avocado belt.
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

How Licht deals with this coming off-season will have a lot to do with the upcoming decade. TB12 (and Gronk) and Arians are likely out the door either this offseason (Brady) or after next (Brady, Gronk, Arians).

It would be great to know that they have a head coach in waiting - and a QB in waiting. I see a serious issue with transition here.....
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

OneBuc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:55 pm How Licht deals with this coming off-season will have a lot to do with the upcoming decade. TB12 (and Gronk) and Arians are likely out the door either this offseason (Brady) or after next (Brady, Gronk, Arians).

It would be great to know that they have a head coach in waiting - and a QB in waiting. I see a serious issue with transition here.....
Todd Bowles and Kyle Trask.

Crisis averted.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:10 pm
OneBuc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:55 pm How Licht deals with this coming off-season will have a lot to do with the upcoming decade. TB12 (and Gronk) and Arians are likely out the door either this offseason (Brady) or after next (Brady, Gronk, Arians).

Crisis averted.
I hope that's sarcasm?
Monero

Post by Monero »

How different is the off-season plan if Brady retires? Do Licht rip the team down to the studs and start fresh? Does he bother with a bunch of restructuring? Could players like LVD get traded for modest compensation to a contender so they don't have to end their careers with another Bucs rebuild? How long does Licht make us endure Trask? Could he trade for a vet QB to maybe take over, and if so, who?
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

Crisis averted.
That combo will win a few divisions. :roll:
3-13
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

OneBuc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 pm

Crisis averted.
That combo will win a few divisions. :roll:
3-13
If that happens, I will definitely put money down to win the super bowl! /s
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So teams are going to pour out money for our defensive backfield? Playing poorly, cannot stay on the field, missed assignments, bad tacklers...