Los Angeles Rams @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Game Day Thread: Divisional Round Edition

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Los Angeles Rams @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Game Day Thread: Divisional Round Edition

Post by King Bootz »

LMAO! Man people are in their feelings tonight.

Imagine saying we could cut Vita Vea or Mike Evans to sign other players. Wow.
Rocker

Re: Los Angeles Rams @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Game Day Thread: Divisional Round Edition

Post by Rocker »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm
Rocker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:26 pm

Tom Brady, Vita Vea, Mike Evans, Devin White, and others.

What a dumb fuck response. We have no idea how the roster shakes out between now and then. Hence, opinion.
I hear you. But the math is a serious problem.
No doubt. In Licht we trust.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Rocker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm

I hear you. But the math is a serious problem.
I trust Licht and think he's a fine GM.

That said, I don't think he can repeat his miracle of bringing the band back together. That huge list of dudes, no way can we resign even a quarter of them for market value, unless it's all the guys who barely play.

Depending on your source online, we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million in cap space. And now that our draft pick is set at 27th overall, we need $8 million just to sign our rookie class, so drop that down to $12 million in cap space.

Good luck, Mr Licht.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 pm
Rocker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 pm

I trust Licht and think he's a fine GM.

That said, I don't think he can repeat his miracle of bringing the band back together. That huge list of dudes, no way can we resign even a quarter of them for market value, unless it's all the guys who barely play.

Depending on your source online, we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million in cap space. And now that our draft pick is set at 27th overall, we need $8 million just to sign our rookie class, so drop that down to $12 million in cap space.

Good luck, Mr Licht.
They will have a lot of tough decisions to make. So many free agents, so many potential holes to fill. Bringing everyone back wasn't good enough this year.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:23 pm
The Outsider wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm assuming that we lose Godwin. Godwin is great but a luxury. Honestly the only must keep players for me are Jensen and Davis. I assume Gronk will be back if Brady is. But guys like JPP, Suh, Cappa, Whitehead and Gholston are guys who are either at the end or simply serviceable. All of those guys are replaceable to me with smart FA acquisitions and good drafting.
And you are missing the point.

Not likely we can even keep Jensen and Davis.

Jensen is going to bring in 12 million on the market.

Only targets that make sense for a restructure would be Evans and David.

With that you might be able to sign Jensen, Godwinn and Gronk (if you are trying to keep Brady). If Brady walks you might as well blow the whole thing up.

Everyone else would have to go.
Much like last offseason you could see people take less money to keep the team together. Point is, we're not in dire straits and there are a lot of things that can be done to manipulate cap numbers. Things that you or I probably aren't even aware of or informed enough to consider.

I'm not going to say I'm 100% certain of anything other than this: We're hardly in a 'sky is falling, we're all gonna die' situation.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

We brought everyone back and some of the guys we brought back were just not up to the task. I was not impressed with JPP this year at all.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed, JPP wasn't up to snuff. I can see him coming back on a reduced deal. He could also chase one last payday somewhere. We'll still have Tyron and Shaq, along with LVD and White. I'd love to bring back Suh but who knows.

I think Godwin will be a huge priority. As long as we keep this OL together we have a good shot at a SB. Though we may let Jensen go for cap reasons.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm We brought everyone back and some of the guys we brought back were just not up to the task. I was not impressed with JPP this year at all.
I agree, and we got horrible value for what we paid for.

JPP made $12.8 million this year, the equivalent of our entire cap space for next year as it stands after paying for our draft picks. And in his injury hobbled season including two postseason games, he made 33 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 TFLs, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and four passes defended. That's slightly worse than peak Daniel Te'o-Nesheim.

Paying premium prices to reward prior play when current performances are subpar is bad business. There are a few guys like this on the roster, all of whom are fodder for the chopping block imo. In this case JPP is a free agent and I doubt he returns, in large part for this reason.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Team can and should move on from Suh and JPP.

The cap crunch is daunting but it presents an opportunity to optimize some things.

If we’re lucky and Bowles/LunchBox get HC jobs, that becomes a greater possibility.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:24 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm We brought everyone back and some of the guys we brought back were just not up to the task. I was not impressed with JPP this year at all.
I agree, and we got horrible value for what we paid for.

JPP made $12.8 million this year, the equivalent of our entire cap space for next year as it stands after paying for our draft picks. And in his injury hobbled season including two postseason games, he made 33 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 TFLs, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and four passes defended. That's slightly worse than peak Daniel Te'o-Nesheim.

Paying premium prices to reward prior play when current performances are subpar is bad business. There are a few guys like this on the roster, all of whom are fodder for the chopping block imo. In this case JPP is a free agent and I doubt he returns, in large part for this reason.
Brate, as much as I love the guy, is one of them.