Tom Brady: Undecided

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will Tom Brady Retire?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 42

King Bootz

Re: Tom Brady: Undecided

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:54 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:36 pm

It has everything to do with Lance. Unless your position is that Lynch is a shit GM, you don't trade 3 1sts and a 3rd for a guy you don't believe in.

This was always the plan. Ride Jimmy G in 2021, develop Lance, have him ready to go in 2022. I get that Bucs fans wouldn't understand that. But it was their plan all along and it's coming to fruition.

This Niners team is built for a young QB to take over and succeed in without having to shoulder the burden. Great run game, Oline, weapons and defense. Lance will be fine and an upgrade over Jimmy G.
The 49ers are built to win now. And as a Bucs fan you should know that draft picks are nothing more than lottery tickets. You (and the 49ers for that matter) don't know if Lance will even become an average starter in this league. Lance could sit for another year. He'll be 22 years old in 2023. The 49ers would be out of their minds to pass up on Brady to play Lance one year earlier.
It's very easy for you to take a confident stand on something that has a less than 0% chance of happening. You know it'll never happen so you making this false bravado claim that "The 49ers would be out of their minds" means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's not happening.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Max wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 pm

The 49ers are moving on from Jimmy G because he's garbage. I don't thinkt that has anything to do with them believing in Lance. He didn't play a snap in the playoffs despite Jimmy actively trying to throw the ball to the other team for three straight games. They obviously didn't believe he gave them a better chance to make the Super Bowl than an injured, below average QB in Garoppolo two weeks ago, but now they're going to pass on the best QB in football because of him? Well that wouldn't make any sense. Lance is the only 2021 first round QB that didn't play significant snaps all season. What does that tell you about their trust in him.

And do you really believe our FO would play hardball if Brady asks them to let him finish his career with his hometown team? After he won us a Super Bowl and put us back on the map? Yeah that's not going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Brady will unretire, and if he does, staying with the Bucs would give him the best shot at another ring. But let's not act like he wouldn't be an absolute no-brainer for the 49ers. Brady in the Shanahan offense throwing to Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk? Shanahan running the ball and play-action out of 12-personell with Kittle, Gronk and Deebo in the backfield? Seriously? As a football fan, I'd like to see that happen, I'm not gonna lie.
It has everything to do with Lance. Unless your position is that Lynch is a shit GM, you don't trade 3 1sts and a 3rd for a guy you don't believe in.

This was always the plan. Ride Jimmy G in 2021, develop Lance, have him ready to go in 2022. I get that Bucs fans wouldn't understand that. But it was their plan all along and it's coming to fruition.

This Niners team is built for a young QB to take over and succeed in without having to shoulder the burden. Great run game, Oline, weapons and defense. Lance will be fine and an upgrade over Jimmy G.
Agree with all this. This IS the plan. The only thing they probably didn't count on was getting all the way to the NFCCG behind Garappolo.

Next year, they'll plug in Lance, give a well designed, well executed run game, a great trio of receivers, a good OL, and a solid defense I expect them to focus on this offseason.

I'm not comparing Lance to Mahomes, but it's basically the same exact thing Reid did with Alex Smith. The Chiefs being competitive with Smith during Mahomes's rookie year didn't move the needle at all for them, nor should Garapollo move the needle for Shanahan here.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:56 pm

Agree with all this. This IS the plan. The only thing they probably didn't count on was getting all the way to the NFCCG behind Garappolo.

Next year, they'll plug in Lance, give a well designed, well executed run game, a great trio of receivers, a good OL, and a solid defense I expect them to focus on this offseason.

I'm not comparing Lance to Mahomes, but it's basically the same exact thing Reid did with Alex Smith. The Chiefs being competitive with Smith during Mahomes's rookie year didn't move the needle at all for them, nor should Garapollo move the needle for Shanahan here.
This. Wash, rinse, repeat. This has always been the formula for bringing along a young QB taking over for an incumbent in year 2 or 3. An incumbent that you know won't put you over the top. Niners knew better than anyone what they had in Jimmy G. All of those "wins" didn't blind him to what he really offered on the field.

Lance won't have to be a star on that team, but he has the talent and the smarts to do so. He won't flub the game and keep the other team competitive the way Jimmy G does.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:20 am

This. Wash, rinse, repeat. This has always been the formula for bringing along a young QB taking over for an incumbent in year 2 or 3. An incumbent that you know won't put you over the top. Niners knew better than anyone what they had in Jimmy G. All of those "wins" didn't blind him to what he really offered on the field.

Lance won't have to be a star on that team, but he has the talent and the smarts to do so. He won't flub the game and keep the other team competitive the way Jimmy G does.
Agreed. The 49ers did everything the right way. I like to think this is what would have happened here if Trask had gotten another year, but the best laid plans...

BTW, time to take another moment and point out that despite a few bad draft misses, John Lynch is a HELL of a GM/architect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting in the HOF twice someday.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lance probably should’ve been picked off four times in the Texans game. But…rookie’s first real game, surprise “start”, etc.

Some really good stuff there tho. Arm is freaky, he’ll take a chin shot, no fear throwing into windows, pretty mobile.

It’s all about seeing the field and making good choices. He has the best teaching him. Time will tell if it all clicks. He only turns 22 in May.

(Full disclosure. If I like QBs, they bust. IIWII.)
Last edited by Snake on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:23 am Lance probably should’ve been picked off four times in the Texans game. But…rookie’s first start, surprise start, etc.

Some really good stuff there tho. Arm is freaky, he’ll take a chin shot, no fear throwing into windows, pretty mobile.

It’s all about seeing the field and making good choices. He has the best teaching him. Time will tell if it all clicks. He only turns 22 in May.

He has it all, physically and in terms of football character and work ethic (by all accounts.) The head is the question, and we won't know until he gets some real reps. But I'm betting high on him, especially with everything the 49ers are giving him to work with.

But again, like you, if I love a QB they end up selling cars in their college town by the time they're 27.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:20 am

Agreed. The 49ers did everything the right way. I like to think this is what would have happened here if Trask had gotten another year, but the best laid plans...

BTW, time to take another moment and point out that despite a few bad draft misses, John Lynch is a HELL of a GM/architect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting in the HOF twice someday.
Oh he had his early growing pains for sure. That's 2017 draft could've been epic if he uses the 3rd overall pick on damn near anyone other than Solomon Thomas. Mahomes, Watson, Fournette, Adams, Lattimore, Humphrey, CMC. Anyone.

But he's gotten better. They've done well finding elite talent after round 1(Kittle, Deebo, Warner).

The idea that they don't believe in a guy who is quite literally the reason they won't have their own 1st round pick until 2024 is ludicrous. Lance is their guy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 am
Snake wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:23 am Lance probably should’ve been picked off four times in the Texans game. But…rookie’s first start, surprise start, etc.

He has it all, physically and in terms of football character and work ethic (by all accounts.) The head is the question, and we won't know until he gets some real reps. But I'm betting high on him, especially with everything the 49ers are giving him to work with.

But again, like you, if I love a QB they end up selling cars in their college town by the time they're 27.
Actually the head is why he went as high as he did. If he had played at Oklahoma or USC or really any power 5 school on National TV, he’s likely in competition with Lawrence for #1 overall. By all accounts he’s has an extremely high football IQ and learns very quickly on the fly what a defense is trying to do. That was on display in both of his starts. He got better as the game went along and played his best ball later in the game. As @Snake mentioned, he probably could’ve been picked several times vs Houston. But as the game progressed, he adjusted and made plays to get a win.

The issues with him will be the speed of the game. I honestly don’t think it’ll take long before he gets rolling on the right track in Shanahan’s system.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I think Trevor's wife shuts him down before it hardly matters.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:08 pm
Tnbandwagoner wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:52 pm
So sometimes you make insightful posts; sometimes, not so much.

I certainly can't imagine any team that came within a bad QB of playing in the Super Bowl trading that QB that cost them a shot at a championship for the GOAT. Why would anyone ever do that when they have a second-year player who's still figuring out which way the field is from the locker room and is only ten thousand levels below the GOAT they could trade for? Yeah, nobody would do that.
Your assessment of Lance doesn't lineup with anything based in reality. The Niners and Garoppolo have both acknowledged that they are moving on. That doesn't happen if they don't believe in Lance. By all reports and indicators as well as they handful of starts he's made, he's more than ready.

Additionally, Lynch had the chance to bring in Brady 2 years ago and didn't bother. In fact all reports indicate Brady's market wasn't as hot as it was projected to be. Why? It's because of his age. Plain and simple. We got lucky for 2 years. But Father time is undefeated and eventually the bell will toll. There's not an athlete alive that it didn't happen for.

So if you believe the Niners are going to trade MORE draft picks to use on their QB position(We both know you don't actually believe that) after they've spent 3 1sts & a 3rd for the guy they are handing the keys to, you're crazy.
They traded all those picks because they clearly thought Lance was the kind of player that could be a franchise QB. An observant person might have noticed that maybe, just maybe, they might not be thinking that at this point quite as much, considering they kept rolling with Jimmy G. throughout the season despite his repeated and well-documented erratic play.

I never said it was a lock that they will try to trade for Brady. Anyone who thinks they haven't thought about it is just in denial.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Ok, I'm gonna step out on this feeble little branch a ask a silly question. Can any one conceive of any reason there could be an "under the table" scenario with TB agreeing to come back to Tampa Bay next season, but keeping it "in-house" and off the radar? Could there be some heavy-handed poker game to see how the rest of the league responds to his leaving? Silly, I know, but we've all seen coaches/GMs slow play news about what the teams are doing here or there, maybe (often) flat out lying about it.
Push the damned button already!
Snake

Post by Snake »

you come up with some pretty crazy ideas!
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Well, think about it. Until he actually files the papers with the NFL office, it hasn't happened.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

IronDog wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:41 pm Well, think about it. Until he actually files the papers with the NFL office, it hasn't happened.
He's doing it to save us a ton of cap. It's a courtesy, just like Brees.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Mahomes played in the Big 12. Lance played in the Missouri Valley Conference. Slight difference.

Also, as has been noted previously, if they were so confident in him they could have played him this year when Jimmy G. was stinking it up on a weekly basis.

For every Mahomes that sits on the bench for a year or two and then lights it up from day one, there's a thousand Jordan Loves. Saying Lance will be great because he was drafted highly and had a year to sit is every bit as sound as saying Doug Pederson is going to do great for the Jags because Shaq Khan hired him.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I'm in the Brady likely stays retired or uncommitted or whatever words he used last week camp. That may be more because I don't feel like going through Favre II.

Having said that, should he waver, I think the Niners are the best bet. Steve Young said the same earlier today.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Fantasy!!!!!!!!! I love this msg board, it is like my dreams
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

TB doesn't care what any of us think.
Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen’s dog implores them to pick up the pace.
MiamiPIXX/CPR / BACKGRID

The photogenic couple didn’t seem to have the impending Super Bowl LVI on their minds as they gamboled hand in hand with one of their dogs at their heels.

https://pagesix.com/2022/02/11/tom-brad ... can-beach/
Don't tread on me
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Such poor writing. They are at the dog's heels, not the other way around. Just friggin lazy!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

IronDog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:38 pm Such poor writing. They are at the dog's heels, not the other way around. Just friggin lazy!
Well, actually, that blurb was under a different photo but you couldn't see the dog at all so I chose a different photo that showed the dog. :D
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Mahomes played in the Big 12. Lance played in the Missouri Valley Conference. Slight difference.

Also, as has been noted previously, if they were so confident in him they could have played him this year when Jimmy G. was stinking it up on a weekly basis.

For every Mahomes that sits on the bench for a year or two and then lights it up from day one, there's a thousand Jordan Loves. Saying Lance will be great because he was drafted highly and had a year to sit is every bit as sound as saying Doug Pederson is going to do great for the Jags because Shaq Khan hired him.
Who cares where they played college ball? Mahomes wasn't dominant in the Big 12, a conference that plays no defense. Unless you have some insight about their respective development curves during their "red shirt" NFL seasons, it's not relevant. I could also point out that Lance was drafted well before Mahomes was.

Please show me where Jimmy G was "stinking it up on a weekly basis." It's a fun narrative, but the numbers don't support it. 68% completion, 8.3 YPA, NFCCG.

And I didn't say Trey Lance would be great, in the post you quoted or elsewhere. I like him a lot. I said it was a great situation for him to come into, and I didn't think Jimmy G's play would alter the plan any. If you think the 49ers aren't going to be looking to deal him this offseason, then their PR is working. He will get dealt.
Let's roll another joint
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 am
Tnbandwagoner wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Who cares where they played college ball? Mahomes wasn't dominant in the Big 12, a conference that plays no defense. Unless you have some insight about their respective development curves during their "red shirt" NFL seasons, it's not relevant. I could also point out that Lance was drafted well before Mahomes was.

Please show me where Jimmy G was "stinking it up on a weekly basis." It's a fun narrative, but the numbers don't support it. 68% completion, 8.3 YPA, NFCCG.

And I didn't say Trey Lance would be great, in the post you quoted or elsewhere. I like him a lot. I said it was a great situation for him to come into, and I didn't think Jimmy G's play would alter the plan any. If you think the 49ers aren't going to be looking to deal him this offseason, then their PR is working. He will get dealt.
Mahommes wasn't exactly on a talented team, so they weren't winning but how can someone with 9705 yards, 77 passing TDs, and 22 rushing TDs in his last two years not be dominant? His biggest knock is he takes risky throws. At the beginning of this year, he was. That was probably why he was red shirted his first season in KC.

Jimmy G didn't stink it up on a weekly basis, but he did struggle early in the season. Wks 3-6 0-3 61% completion, 6.7 YPA, 4 TDs, 4 Ints.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Hmm

Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m sure Arians was already three sheets to the wind, as well.

Arians: you want balanced offense? We’re throwing 50 times a game dammit!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Nano wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:38 pm Hmm

I heard some interesting things to but I don't post them on Twitter.

I'll be honest I am getting tired of all these reporters trying to make stories out of things they heard from a person who shopped at a store with the person who once delivered a pizza to Tom Brady's neighbor.
Last edited by 13F11B on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:49 pm I don't believe this (was why Brady retired) for one second.
I would need A LOT more than the word of some rando ex player with a fledgling media career before I'd buy this. There was zero indication of this in the way BA and TB12 interacted publicly, including on the sidelines of games.

My guess, which is as uneducated as his but makes more sense, is that his wife had a "Come To Jesus" talk with him about his family and their future and he made a difficult choice.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

"Interesting things" "Apparently".....

This guy can fuck off with this nonsense.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

But because he's a former player(former teammate of Brady in NE) and has a verified social media presence he'll get his 15 minutes.

Unbelievable.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Well... There was "tension" in the room as alluded to by some guys
MJW

Post by MJW »

Swashbuckler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:32 pm Well... There was "tension" in the room as alluded to by some guys
Some guys might have a point. There was tension in a high stakes workplace filled with millionaires with giant egos during a challenging period while under 24/7 media scrutiny? I can see why Brady wanted out!
Let's roll another joint
Executus

Post by Executus »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:49 pm I don't believe this (was why Brady retired) for one second.
Of course not. Anyone who thinks anyone else than family, i.e. Giselle and his kids would have a relevant say in his decision is just completely out of the loop. Look, Brady still loves football more than anyone. He still wants to win, he still wants to play. But this has been an ongoing struggle for multiple years with his wife. She already gave him way more years than she wanted to. Brady still has it, the play is there, the drive is there. But The wife has had enough. She is done with seeing him getting hit(19 times against Rams), and to make matters worse, she is pulling the "you need to be there for the kids" card, which is something that is hard for Brady to deal with, since he aspires to be the best at everything he does in life.
nybf

Post by nybf »

🤔
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:37 pm
Doneso.

Saddening.

Bring on the Blaine Gabbert Era.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:37 pm
Soon we'll hear that BA hated Road Trip movies and that's why this is happening.