Tom Brady: Undecided

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will Tom Brady Retire?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 42

King Bootz

Tom Brady: Undecided

Post by King Bootz »

This will be a major topic of discussion at some point. We all knew it was coming up. The question now is will he come back and for how long?
Phantom

Re: Tom Brady: Undecided

Post by Phantom »

Jesus Christ, not this again! Hes coming back for one more year.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 am

This will be a major topic of discussion at some point. We all knew it was coming up. The question now is will he come back and for how long?
I think it's 50/50 currently. He's expressed that the season has been difficult for him, on his family, and his body....but he also wants to win.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

If he comes back, great. If he retires, thanks for all of the memories and appreciate what he's done for the franchise. Knowing that David, Evans, Vea, Wirfs, Barrett, White, Brate, Winfield Jr, Whitehead and a host of other Buc players will get to retire with at least one ring after the teams some of them have been on in the past is all I can ask for as a Bucs fan.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:45 am
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 am

I think it's 50/50 currently. He's expressed that the season has been difficult for him, on his family, and his body....but he also wants to win.
He’s taken the “vet days off” basically for the 1st time of his career. That’s a major change.

And I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not. But I really think seeing all of the injuries around him over the course of the year has influenced this thinking. Didn’t help either that with Wirfs out and Jensen hobbled he got sacked 4 times and hit a few more.
CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt »

"At times throughout this season, Brady has felt committed to returning in 2022 regardless of the outcome, simply because he feels like he owes it to an organization that doesn’t have a clear quarterback succession plan, sources said."

Sounds like Trask is not the future.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

CupidStunt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 am "At times throughout this season, Brady has felt committed to returning in 2022 regardless of the outcome, simply because he feels like he owes it to an organization that doesn’t have a clear quarterback succession plan, sources said."

I don't think anyone thinks Trask is QBOTF. He was basically a 3rd round pick as a development guy, likely a backup
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

CupidStunt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 am "At times throughout this season, Brady has felt committed to returning in 2022 regardless of the outcome, simply because he feels like he owes it to an organization that doesn’t have a clear quarterback succession plan, sources said."

I don't agree. You don't draft a quarterback in the second round just to give up on him eight months later, especially when he's done nothing on or off the field to make you think he can't be the guy moving forward.

If Brady returns next year it would be for a number of different reasons I imagine, but I doubt that his concern for the Bucs' succession plan at quarterback will be the deciding factor.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

I still don’t buy Brady retiring with a year left on his deal and him going out as the leader passing this year.

Brady is one of those guys who has a fire inside of him. If we win it all, he’d be hard pressed to not try for the 3peat. If we don’t win it all… what could he have done with a healthy receiver corps.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Also…

32 yards over a season to have a record that no one will ever break…(unless Lamar Jackson or Mahomes last beyond 40, doubtful)
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:35 am Also…

32 yards over a season to have a record that no one will ever break…(unless Lamar Jackson or Mahomes last beyond 40, doubtful)
That's a record Aaron Rodgers breaks easily in 2 years. He hasn't appeared to lose any of his running ability.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am

That's a record Aaron Rodgers breaks easily in 2 years. He hasn't appeared to lose any of his running ability.
Aaron Rodgers hasn't committed to playing in 2022. For all we know he will decide to become a professional dog walker or perhaps a professional frisbee player.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

I've been saying it all year long. If we win this year I think it's highly likely he'll be back next year to try his hand at accomplishing something no one has yet, winning the superbowl 3 years in a row. If not, I think it's very likely he retires. I dont blame him, evem though we've had him a short time, it's been a very blessed time, THANK YOU TOM BRADY.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:57 am I've been saying it all year long. If we win this year I think it's highly likely he'll be back next year to try his hand at accomplishing something no one has yet, winning the superbowl 3 years in a row. If not, I think it's very likely he retires. I dont blame him, evem though we've had him a short time, it's been a very blessed time, THANK YOU TOM BRADY.
That's what I said as well.

Not winning the SB and I think he's done, winning and he'll try another record.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am

Does Rodgers even play beyond 40?
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Jesus. Way to bring the mood down. How about we table this thread until after the parade? Thanks
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Per Tampa Bay Times
Bruce Arians believes Tom Brady will return to Bucs next season
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

This is just an article about what we’ve always known.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

You play it by ear and keep your head about you. If Brady goes he goes. He doesn't owe us shit. The situation then becomes "Tom Brady has proven you can win with this Bucs team and they've proven as a team that they could help Tom Brady win. Who wouldn't want to come here right now?"

The last thing you do is panic about it. If Tom wants to go you send him off into the sunset with hero's farewell and get Rodgers on the phone. BA is coming back too and that relationship would potentially work too
Last edited by Swashbuckler on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

If Brady loses to Jimmy G in the NFCCG he may never retire.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

The Outsider wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 pm If Brady loses to Jimmy G in the NFCCG he may never retire.
I didn't think of it that way. You're right. It would be "I lost to THAT motherfucker?"
Nano

Post by Nano »

He(or his intern) also posted this though

I think there's going to be a lot of discussions about the future of this team over the next month. If Brady doesn't like the direction we're headed(Possibly letting Godwin walk), I could see him retiring. Maybe the new OC/DC systems(and if he likes his coordinators) can help Brady determine his decision as well.

That said, if he does come back, I imagine it's almost certain that next season is his fairwell tour. I can't see him playing beyond next season. I don't know if it'd be worth it for either side at that point. By then, we're no longer the team he joined.

We as fans should also be prepared for when Brady does leave and the bandaid is ripped off. The seasons after his departure will likely be very rough. At least early on.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I think he comes back for one more year. He convinces Licht to re-sign Godwin and the Bucs draft the Williams kid from Bama to replace AB (he will drop because of his knee injury).

If Godwin and Jensen are allowed to walk, he could very well hang up his pads.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't get all this gloomy talk about the future of the team. Brady is at the top of his game. Only way he doesn't come back is if some switch got flipped and he's done. Which I doubt.

We'll try to bring back as many as we can, patch the rest of with some bargain guys and hope our draft picks come through.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Brady didn't wave to the crowd, linger for a last look at the stadium or look like a guy who played his last game. We'll see, but gut feeling right now for me is that he's back next season. Rodgers looked more done than Brady honestly.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

He’s back. Give Godwin the Evans contract. Sign Fournette. We good for another big year.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 pm I don't get all this gloomy talk about the future of the team. Brady is at the top of his game. Only way he doesn't come back is if some switch got flipped and he's done. Which I doubt.

We'll try to bring back as many as we can, patch the rest of with some bargain guys and hope our draft picks come through.
You mean the switch called 'wife' and 'family'. He has spoken a great deal about that this year. It will be a question of if his competitive fire runs hotter than his desire to spend time with his family. It also depends on what happens with the coaching staff. Changes in the offensive coaching staff may impact his decision.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Nano wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:44 pm

He(or his intern) also posted this though

I think there's going to be a lot of discussions about the future of this team over the next month. If Brady doesn't like the direction we're headed(Possibly letting Godwin walk), I could see him retiring. Maybe the new OC/DC systems(and if he likes his coordinators) can help Brady determine his decision as well.

That said, if he does come back, I imagine it's almost certain that next season is his fairwell tour. I can't see him playing beyond next season. I don't know if it'd be worth it for either side at that point. By then, we're no longer the team he joined.

We as fans should also be prepared for when Brady does leave and the bandaid is ripped off. The seasons after his departure will likely be very rough. At least early on.

That little post is not the words of a man who is done. If he retires it'll be because it's what is best for his family. Wanting to stay and doing what is best are entirely different things and it sounds like nothing has been discussed yet and there's simply no possible way to answer any questions at this point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

This sounds like BS to me. Owing the org?

Anyways. I think Tom comes back if he truly believes he has a legit shot to win the SB. He's a really smart dude who knows what it takes to win. He knows the cap crunch. he knows what the Bills and Chiefs are and will continue to be. Can Licht reload it?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think Brady is going to announce his last season as a farewell tour type thing tbh.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

This year was evidence that just having your 'guys' come back was not enough. The defense needs to be seriously improved through better players or through a scheme change. Far too many times the defense was burned. Our outside rush was weak sauce most of the season. Brady will not stay for a rebuild. I agree with @Snake that the only way he comes back is if he feels the team has a legit shot at another Super Bowl.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:49 am This year was evidence that just having your 'guys' come back was not enough. The defense needs to be seriously improved through better players or through a scheme change. Far too many times the defense was burned. Our outside rush was weak sauce most of the season. Brady will not stay for a rebuild. I agree with @Snake that the only way he comes back is if he feels the team has a legit shot at another Super Bowl.
I couldn’t agree with you more.. this is it

I’ll feel better if a Vic Fangio run the Bucs defense. Nobody is scared of Todd Bowles defense. @nybf is right about him, he’s a fraud
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Good points

nybf

Post by nybf »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:49 am This year was evidence that just having your 'guys' come back was not enough.
Getting to the divisional round only to be stopped by the most brain dead defensive play call of the year is evidence? Interesting.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:49 am This year was evidence that just having your 'guys' come back was not enough.
Getting to the divisional round only to be stopped by the most brain dead defensive play call of the year is evidence? Interesting.
Note I said "This year" and not "this play" or "this game". I think the defense has been a weakness most of the season. Brady was able to overcome it to the point the team still had a chance to win the Super Bowl but it could have been improved and was not. I think this season showed that you have to focus on getting better not just staying the same. Natural wear and tear really affected the Buccaneers defense at key positions and I think it was noticeable all year. If you don't that is fine but twisting my words doesn't accomplish a damn thing.