Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

Post by Buc2 »

This is not a hill I'd be willing to die on but, personally, I don't have an issue with interviewing during the postseason. These guys are professional coaches. If they couldn't pace themselves accordingly and allocate the necessary time to do their current job, then they have no business being coordinators in the first place.
Don't tread on me
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 am This is not a hill I'd be willing to die on but, personally, I don't have an issue with interviewing during the postseason. These guys are professional coaches. If they couldn't pace themselves accordingly and allocate the necessary time to do their current job, then they have no business being coordinators in the first place.
Seconded.
BLT

Post by BLT »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm
BLT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm

Yea, that's not really the point though it's more the focus/distraction/investment.
Can you imagine if people actually felt interviewing for a better job would sway your focus or investment in the current job or be a distraction? There'd never been promotions in any industry.
Not the same thing.

The off-season is only a few weeks long why not wait until after for currently active coaches still in the playoffs.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BLT wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:53 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm

Can you imagine if people actually felt interviewing for a better job would sway your focus or investment in the current job or be a distraction? There'd never been promotions in any industry.
Not the same thing.

The off-season is only a few weeks long why not wait until after for currently active coaches still in the playoffs.
I think you're about 30 years behind the process
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:23 pm

It's not too difficult now to just hop on a zoom call.
Yea, that's not really the point though it's more the focus/distraction/investment.
These guys aren’t practicing and game planning 100% of the day. There’s no reason they can’t talk to another team for an hour or so to discuss philosophy and future.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:09 pm

These guys aren’t practicing and game planning 100% of the day. There’s no reason they can’t talk to another team for an hour or so to discuss philosophy and future.
And the players that know their favorite coach, or the person that vouched for them is leaving. Obviously I get what you're saying, and I know these are professional adults, but there is a reason that in the corporate world managers don't tell their entire team they are going to be leaving and are actively interviewing for new jobs. It would be considered unprofessional and detrimental to morale.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BLT wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm

And the players that know their favorite coach, or the person that vouched for them is leaving. Obviously I get what you're saying, and I know these are professional adults, but there is a reason that in the corporate world managers don't tell their entire team they are going to be leaving and are actively interviewing for new jobs. It would be considered unprofessional and detrimental to morale.
As someone else reminded us in this very thread, the NFL isn't the corporate world, so comparing them doesn't work.
Don't tread on me
BLT

Post by BLT »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:41 pm

As someone else reminded us in this very thread, the NFL isn't the corporate world, so comparing them doesn't work.
That's true... you can't rape people in the corporate world and have companies fight over hiring you.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:46 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm I think the story's all started out with "asking permission".
I don't think teams can deny the request.
I was reading up to the change. The change is they can interview before the end of the season. Teams can deny permission for requested head coach interviews during Weeks 17 and 18, but if they allow one team to interview a candidate, they must grant permission to any other requesting clubs as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pris ... rady-bucs/
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BLT wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:00 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:41 pm

That's true... you can't rape people in the corporate world and have companies fight over hiring you.
Depends how much money you've made in the corporate world.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

So you are saying that if Bowles was leaving, then they defense who loves him would just pout and not play well? They won't try to run through a wall to have one last championship with him here? Think about which one is more likely.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm

So you are saying that if Bowles was leaving, then they defense who loves him would just pout and not play well? They won't try to run through a wall to have one last championship with him here? Think about which one is more likely.
Monte Kiffin?
BLT

Post by BLT »

I honestly think the other one is more likely.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:55 am

Monte Kiffin?
All the evidence you need.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Monte Kiffin?
bOOM HEADSHOT
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Monte Kiffin?
Yep and most of them got their walking papers in the offseason.

If that's the road our guys wanna travel down again, please make yourself known. But I can't imagine as a grown man being that upset about another grown man getting another job to the point that I stop doing the one I have.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm
Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Yep and most of them got their walking papers in the offseason.

If that's the road our guys wanna travel down again, please make yourself known. But I can't imagine as a grown man being that upset about another grown man getting another job to the point that I stop doing the one I have.
Exactly my point. Kiffin was pissed at Gruden per all rumors at the time. He quit showing up to meetings.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 am This is not a hill I'd be willing to die on but, personally, I don't have an issue with interviewing during the postseason. These guys are professional coaches. If they couldn't pace themselves accordingly and allocate the necessary time to do their current job, then they have no business being coordinators in the first place.
I agree with all of that.

My only minor concern is that it's easier for a not-active coach to prepare for and schedule interviews than it is a coach still in the playoffs. It's somewhat of a disadvantage, especially if your team goes to the Superbowl and that's two more weeks you're asking teams to wait to hire you and start building. All things being equal, an owner is likely to opt for someone who can start recruiting a staff and building a plan in early January over early February. That's really my only quibble.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am
I agree with all of that.

My only minor concern is that it's easier for a not-active coach to prepare for and schedule interviews than it is a coach still in the playoffs. It's somewhat of a disadvantage, especially if your team goes to the Superbowl and that's two more weeks you're asking teams to wait to hire you and start building. All things being equal, an owner is likely to opt for someone who can start recruiting a staff and building a plan in early January over early February. That's really my only quibble.
I'd call that the nature of the beast. If an owner isn't willing to wait 2-3 more weeks, then he's very likely missing out on a great candidate and will get what he deserves...back to the search in a couple of years.
Don't tread on me
Dread

Post by Dread »

There would be no indication or announcement of Bowles or Lunchbox taking a HC job until after the Conference Championship game anyways.

But even if there is, I don't buy into the narrative it would be a distraction for players on that side of the ball. Nor do I think the Monte KIffin comparison is close to being relatable to this current Bucs team for a few reasons.

1) We're in the playoffs and trying to defend a title.
2) Monte wasn't taking a NFL HC job, if players admire Bowles or Lunchbox then they'd be happy for them to get that promotion.
3) We have Tom Brady along with guys on defense like JPP and LVD providing way better leadership than that Bucs team did.

I don't even buy it's a distraction for the coordinators themself. These are Zoom meetings and the Bucs are playing at home this weekend. Bowles has been a Head Coach in this league and been through these interviews many times. I can't believe their is a ton of prep work required, much less demanded considering teams interviewing know the Bucs are still in the playoffs.

Tbh, I'd pretty surprised by the commentary in this thread that implies this would even be an issue. We should be happy both our coordinators are being evaluated by multiple teams to be HC. It's all baked into being a successful franchise with competent coordinators.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 am There would be no indication or announcement of Bowles or Lunchbox taking a HC job until after the Conference Championship game anyways.

But even if there is, I don't buy into the narrative it would be a distraction for players on that side of the ball. Nor do I think the Monte KIffin comparison is close to being relatable to this current Bucs team for a few reasons.

1) We're in the playoffs and trying to defend a title.
2) Monte wasn't taking a NFL HC job, if players admire Bowles or Lunchbox then they'd be happy for them to get that promotion.
3) We have Tom Brady along with guys on defense like JPP and LVD providing way better leadership than that Bucs team did.

I don't even buy it's a distraction for the coordinators themself. These are Zoom meetings and the Bucs are playing at home this weekend. Bowles has been a Head Coach in this league and been through these interviews many times. I can't believe their is a ton of prep work required, much less demanded considering teams interviewing know the Bucs are still in the playoffs.

Tbh, I'd pretty surprised by the commentary in this thread that implies this would even be an issue. We should be happy both our coordinators are being evaluated by multiple teams to be HC. It's all baked into being a successful franchise with competent coordinators.
It's not surprising.

Bucs fans aren't use to their coordinators interviewing for other jobs. Let alone being in the playoffs while interviewing for other jobs. I can see how fans of this team would be concerned but it's only because they aren't aware that this practice has been occurring for years and years.

Hell 3 of the head coaches left in the playoffs coached their last game with their former teams in the Super Bowl. Sean McDermott with the Panthers, Kyle Shanahan with the Falcons and Zack Taylor with the Rams. Brian Flores coached his last game with the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

This isn't anything new, groundbreaking or really distracting. No need to worry.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside

Post by Backside »

That image should have “Rooney Rule” across the bottom. With a check mark next to it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 am That image should have “Rooney Rule” across the bottom. With a check mark next to it.
Multiple teams looking for a HC or GM posted these announcements.

Soooo you're saying "Rooney Rule" on Bowles & Morris', "Real candidate" on Quinn & Moore?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 am
Backside wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 am That image should have “Rooney Rule” across the bottom. With a check mark next to it.
Multiple teams looking for a HC or GM posted these announcements.

Soooo you're saying "Rooney Rule" on Bowles & Morris', "Real candidate" on Quinn & Moore?
No. He's saying he's a dumbass.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

That’s the first time I’ve seen Coach Bowles smile.

Feels weird.

It’s like seeing your 1st grade teacher at the grocery store.
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW

Post by MJW »

I read Bowles is/was interviewed by the Raiders. Hadn't seen that before. Seems like he has a real good shot there. They haven't interviewed many guys.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 am I read Bowles is/was interviewed by the Raiders. Hadn't seen that before. Seems like he has a real good shot there. They haven't interviewed many guys.
If Bowles goes away, do you think Matt Patricia would be a good replacement?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Idk. It’s my understanding the Patriots had three coaches, including Patricia, leading defensive meetings before Belichick took it back over because it wasn’t working.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

MY guess is it will be Moore, he has that inbreed cracker look that will take him far in the NFL.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:42 am
MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 am I read Bowles is/was interviewed by the Raiders. Hadn't seen that before. Seems like he has a real good shot there. They haven't interviewed many guys.
Patricia was an unmitigated disaster the moment he stepped out of New England, so no thanks.

If we lose Bowles, I would presume that we promote from within for a new DC. My money would be on Mike Caldwell or Larry Foote (inside and outside LB coaches respectively) but I could be wrong.
Dread

Post by Dread »

If Bowles goes away, do you think Matt Patricia Vic Fangio would be a good replacement?
FIFY, and Yes :D

Kidding aside, Patricia comes from the Belichick tree and based on what he ran in New England and Detroit there is some overlap in the type of players and roles within scheme.

Both Bowles and Patricia ran a 3-4 base defense where the Dlinemen were powerful/physical 2-gappers, so guys like Vea, Suh, Gholston (even though the latter two may not be back) would be natural fits.

Both also incorporate a heavy m2m scheme in the secondary, since Bowles arrived we've been drafting taller and more athletic m2m type CBs.

Like most DC's these days they want their Safeties to be interchangeable instead of the designated FS v SS skillsets.

All that said, I don't know that there is a relationship between BA and Patricia. But Licht has Patriot roots so that is possible.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am
Patricia was an unmitigated disaster the moment he stepped out of New England, so no thanks.

If we lose Bowles, I would presume that we promote from within for a new DC. My money would be on Mike Caldwell or Larry Foote (inside and outside LB coaches respectively) but I could be wrong.
Yeah, Matt was a crappy HC... But wasn't Bowles, at one time? Or does Patricia NOT deserve the reputation as a good DC?

It's like Leftwich... Does he deserve the accolades of being a great OC, or was it because he had Brady?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am
Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am

Yeah, Matt was a crappy HC... But wasn't Bowles, at one time? Or does Patricia NOT deserve the reputation as a good DC?

It's like Leftwich... Does he deserve the accolades of being a great OC, or was it because he had Brady?
Patricia went from good DC to crappy HC.

Bowles went from crappy HC to crappy DC.

Leftwich is new to HC, so I don't know that these comparisons fit.