Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BJJ34

Re: Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

Post by BJJ34 »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am Gotta get those Rooney interviews out-of-the-way
No lie, all the good prospects for coaching in the Pros are black.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am Gotta get those Rooney interviews out-of-the-way
This reads like bullshit
Snake

Post by Snake »

Too easy.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 am Teams have been doing it all wrong.

Tell me when was the last time a team hired a HC or OC to successfully develop a QB and it resulted in a Super Bowl win for said HC & QB? Never. Often times those operations fail because the other 52 spots are ignored and the team fails.

Hiring a head coach should be done with the mindset of catering to the entire roster. Same with an OC, catering to the entire offense. Not just the QB. The next time that operation works it'll be the 1st time.
Argument can be made for Payton and Brees as fitting your case. Or Pederson and Wentz.

Sure, Brees was already in the league and was brought in shortly after Payton took the job, but Brees was considered a bit of a risk (remember, the Dolphins wanted him to take a pay cut because of his shoulder and questions on if he could be 'the guy' without the supporting cast in San Diego).

Wentz may have been on injured reserve when the Eagles beat the Patriots, but hard to argue they would have gotten there without the season he was having - he was thought of as having a strong chance to be MVP before blowing out his knee.

Payton and Pederson both brought in as HC who could fix/develop QBs. Payton especially - NO either wanted him to help Brooks or their next QB.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:51 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 am Teams have been doing it all wrong.

Tell me when was the last time a team hired a HC or OC to successfully develop a QB and it resulted in a Super Bowl win for said HC & QB? Never. Often times those operations fail because the other 52 spots are ignored and the team fails.

Hiring a head coach should be done with the mindset of catering to the entire roster. Same with an OC, catering to the entire offense. Not just the QB. The next time that operation works it'll be the 1st time.
Argument can be made for Payton and Brees as fitting your case. Or Pederson and Wentz.

Sure, Brees was already in the league and was brought in shortly after Payton took the job, but Brees was considered a bit of a risk (remember, the Dolphins wanted him to take a pay cut because of his shoulder and questions on if he could be 'the guy' without the supporting cast in San Diego).

Wentz may have been on injured reserve when the Eagles beat the Patriots, but hard to argue they would have gotten there without the season he was having - he was thought of as having a strong chance to be MVP before blowing out his knee.

Payton and Pederson both brought in as HC who could fix/develop QBs. Payton especially - NO either wanted him to help Brooks or their next QB.
Payton you might have a case for except as you mention Brees had already turned the corner.

Wentz, no. Can't play "What if" even though they won the SB. They didn't come anywhere near it again.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:51 pm

Payton you might have a case for except as you mention Brees had already turned the corner.

Wentz, no. Can't play "What if" even though they won the SB. They didn't come anywhere near it again.
Didn't say Brees turned the corner. He was very much considered damaged goods due to his shoulder and the thought being it was more the team around him in SD than his performance (a 30-28 record will do that when you have LT in the backfield). There's a reason the Chargers drafted Rivers and let Brees walk.

You really like changing the terms to fit your narrative. Your statement was it never works, not that it never works for multiple seasons. Working one time means it works more often than never. ;)
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Might need to make this the Bowles, Leftwich and Spytek tracker.

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 pm Might need to make this the Bowles, Leftwich and Spytek tracker.

Nope. Keep Spytek.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Didn't say Brees turned the corner. He was very much considered damaged goods due to his shoulder and the thought being it was more the team around him in SD than his performance (a 30-28 record will do that when you have LT in the backfield). There's a reason the Chargers drafted Rivers and let Brees walk.

You really like changing the terms to fit your narrative. Your statement was it never works, not that it never works for multiple seasons. Working one time means it works more often than never. ;)
Here's the thing about Brees:

He was flat-out bad his first three years in the league. 29 TDs, 31 INTs, 10-17 as a starter.

Before his 4th season, they draft Rivers. The light comes on for Brees during his "seatwarmer" season. 27 TDs, 7 INTS, 11-4 record.

If he does that a year sooner, the Chargers don't draft Rivers. In fact, they're likely not in a position to draft Rivers.

If John Lynch doesn't blow up Brees's shoulder, do the Chargers keep Brees and deal Rivers? We'll never know.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Apparently Leftwich has become the betting favorite to become Jags HC
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 am
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm

Here's the thing about Brees:

He was flat-out bad his first three years in the league. 29 TDs, 31 INTs, 10-17 as a starter.

Before his 4th season, they draft Rivers. The light comes on for Brees during his "seatwarmer" season. 27 TDs, 7 INTS, 11-4 record.

If he does that a year sooner, the Chargers don't draft Rivers. In fact, they're likely not in a position to draft Rivers.

If John Lynch doesn't blow up Brees's shoulder, do the Chargers keep Brees and deal Rivers? We'll never know.
Brees following up his 'lightbulb' season with a 9-7 24 TD 15 INT season his final year in SD gave the impression the 4th year was an anomaly and he was regressing to the mean. Still a good season, but with a promising Rivers on the bench and Brees' shoulder being a huge question mark he wasn't the prospect he could have been after the 2004 season. After 2005, he really only had two choices: Miami or New Orleans. Miami decided to go with Culpepper when Brees wouldn't bring his asking price down when they expressed concerns about his shoulder.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:07 am
Could be a good spot for Bowles. Their offense is already one of the best in the league. If he can do something with their defense, they could actually compete with the Packers again for the division.

This interview coupled with the Vikings interviewing Spytek for their GM position earlier this week could possibly be an indication for the direction Minnesota wants to go.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Despite what some fans think it’s going to suck if we lose both Leftwich and Bowles.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Have to wonder if Arians just hangs it up at that point. I imagine that losing both would suck for him.

On a side note, do we get 2 3rd pick if we lost both?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Arians already said he's done if he has to rebuild his coaching staff.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Interesting article. Given what Arians has said in the past I wonder what this means regarding the two coordinators.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2022/01/repo ... n-in-2022/
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Would Licht's phone ring more than Tom's for the coaching opportunity
MJW

Post by MJW »

ATrain wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:21 am Arians already said he's done if he has to rebuild his coaching staff.
I don't think he would have to rebuild though. It's now forgotten, but Harold Goodwin was his OC in Arizona from 2013-2017. Kacy Rodgers was Todd's DC with the Jets for four years. Assuming they don't just ship to join Bowles/Leftwich in their new jobs (who knows?), both could step into coordinator roles pretty easily. And we have a ton of promising young coaches who can then get promoted to their old jobs.

My guess is, any way you slice it, 2022 is the last dance. Not basing that on anything. It just makes sense, especially with the cap carnage that'll hit for us after that season.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Raiders additionally have expressed interest.
nybf

Post by nybf »

It's wild to me that the raiders are reaching out about HC and GM when they haven't officially opened those positions.

Woops, guess they started the firings last night.
Last edited by nybf on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I hate the way the hiring process is handled. I don't have a better way, but these dudes are kind of busy right now..
BLT

Post by BLT »

I've never understood how active coaches interviewing in the middle of the playoffs is an acceptable practice.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:07 am
A job worth having vs. Jacksonville which candidates should politely decline while they run away as fast as they can.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:57 pm Despite what some fans think it’s going to suck if we lose both Leftwich and Bowles.
Idc about losing Leftwich. For as long as Brady is here so will BA, who has been the one to develop Leftwich as a coach in the NFL. Not to take anything away from Leftwich, but being Tom Brady's OC at this stage in his career is probably the easiest OC job in the NFL.

We could lose Leftwich and still have the same offensive playbook and verbiage and everything else so the continuity would be largely unaffected. The playcalling tendencies would just change, which isn't a terrible thing tbh.

Losing Bowles would have a much bigger affect imo. For one, Bowles is a MUCH more proven DC and this is his defense. Sure we could promote from within, but Bowles likely takes Dline coach Kacy Rodgers with him again and perhaps some other defensive coaches.

If we did lose Bowles, which I predict we will, I hope we make a serious push for Vic Fangio. He's one of the best DC in the NFL for the past decade.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I hope Sandwich takes a HC job.

Please!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BLT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm I've never understood how active coaches interviewing in the middle of the playoffs is an acceptable practice.
It's not too difficult now to just hop on a zoom call.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:23 pm
BLT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm I've never understood how active coaches interviewing in the middle of the playoffs is an acceptable practice.
Yea, that's not really the point though it's more the focus/distraction/investment.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BLT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:23 pm

Yea, that's not really the point though it's more the focus/distraction/investment.
Can you imagine if people actually felt interviewing for a better job would sway your focus or investment in the current job or be a distraction? There'd never been promotions in any industry.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I think the story's all started out with "asking permission".
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm I think the story's all started out with "asking permission".
I don't think teams can deny the request.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:46 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm I think the story's all started out with "asking permission".
I don't think teams can deny the request.
The idea Arians would make any of this difficult for one of his assistants is insane. I've never seen a coach as focused on helping his assistants advance as BA seems to be. If someone wanted to interview Leftwich/Bowles DURING the Rams game, BA would probably let them just to make a point.
Let's roll another joint
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Am I the only one that thinks this "interview coordinators during the playoffs" is a terrible idea. If they want to give coordinators of playoff teams a fair shake, just impose a moratorium on hiring coaches until 2 weeks after the playoffs.

Personally, I wouldn't care if someone hired Lefty. Arians might, as he's said I has no desire to take back the playcalling duties. Bowles I'd like to keep. Some of have been critical of him but he's been coaching defense without a secondary for most of the year, then lost both MLBs and both starting edges for nice stretches. We've had so many piss poor DC's in here over the last 10 years, I am perfectly happy with a guy who is good and occasionally great.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 am Am I the only one that thinks this "interview coordinators during the playoffs" is a terrible idea. If they want to give coordinators of playoff teams a fair shake, just impose a moratorium on hiring coaches until 2 weeks after the playoffs.

Personally, I wouldn't care if someone hired Lefty. Arians might, as he's said I has no desire to take back the playcalling duties. Bowles I'd like to keep. Some of have been critical of him but he's been coaching defense without a secondary for most of the year, then lost both MLBs and both starting edges for nice stretches. We've had so many piss poor DC's in here over the last 10 years, I am perfectly happy with a guy who is good and occasionally great.
It seems like there should be some unified "start" date for interviews. The week after the Superbowl, whatever. No matter if the candidate is affiliated with an active team or not. But the problem with rules like that is, they'd just be broken. Teams would do remote interviews and have jobs decided beforehand. Kinda like how free agents have always been able to strike deals literally seconds after free agency opened, even when they were still at risk of tampering.

As for the Leftwich/Bowles thing, neither of them are perfect in their playcalling. It's tough to evaluate Leftwich with Brady here, but I strongly suspect he wouldn't be in the mix for head coaching jobs if Jameis was still the quarterback.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 am Am I the only one that thinks this "interview coordinators during the playoffs" is a terrible idea. If they want to give coordinators of playoff teams a fair shake, just impose a moratorium on hiring coaches until 2 weeks after the playoffs.

I'm sure fans hate it. But I don't see why they would. In no other industry would you be precluded from interviewing for another position while still working in your current role. Doesn't make your current job any less important. Doesn't mean you lose all interest in your current job. Just means you're looking out for yourself and setting yourself up for a potential life changing move.

I can't imagine calling someone putting their life and their families life in a better "a terrible idea" at any stage. Even during the playoffs.