Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

Post by King Bootz »

Jags asking to speak with both Bowles and Leftwich. Raiders interested in Bowles. They've also asked to speak with both Dallas coordinators as well.
Last edited by King Bootz on Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Backside

Re: Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

Post by Backside »

Leftwich feels like an awful hire for the Jags.

So it’s definitely happening.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Arians also says he'd welcome teams who would want to speak to them both.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think Josh McDaniels is the best candidate for Jaguars job. Trevor Lawrence+ Travis Ettenie= Josh McDaniels

Doug Peterson? Maybe

Byron Leftwitch will stay for another year. Sorry folks
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don’t see either of them as great head coaches but let’s be real, it’s all about the QB. Get yourself hooked up with a top quarterback and no one will know the difference.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:04 pm I think Josh McDaniels is the best candidate for Jaguars job. Trevor Lawrence+ Travis Ettenie= Josh McDaniels

Doug Peterson? Maybe

Byron Leftwitch will stay for another year. Sorry folks
I'll never understand the obsession with McDaniels. He showed in Denver that as a leader of men he's not one. He showed in St Louis that without Brady his offense is crap. He showed Indianapolis that he can't be trusted or relied on. Great head coach? Convince me.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Leftwich is interviewing for the Jags job today via Zoom.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I wonder how many boring worn out football cliche's Byron will fit into his zoom interview.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

ATrain wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:03 pm I wonder how many boring worn out football cliche's Byron will fit into his zoom interview.
I don't get your irrational hate for our coordinators...you know, the one's that just helped us win a SB, and led us to our best record ever as a franchise.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:18 pm
ATrain wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:03 pm I wonder how many boring worn out football cliche's Byron will fit into his zoom interview.
I don't get your irrational hate for our coordinators...you know, the one's that just helped us win a SB, and led us to our best record ever as a franchise.
He's not alone in hating our coordinators. Many people feel we've won in spite of the coaching staff.

I assume this is a misguided position many fans project onto their favorite team when they don't like the result of the play calling.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can we interview Josh Johnson for OC?
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Can the jags take them both? :)
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:10 pm I don’t see either of them as great head coaches but let’s be real, it’s all about the QB. Get yourself hooked up with a top quarterback and no one will know the difference.
I don't think that's necessarily true. There have been QB's that have had much better careers under a different coach. Alex Smith and Rich Gannon come to mind right off the top of my head. I think it's the right pairing of QB and coach that makes the difference. Look at Matt Ryan. He's at least a decent QB, but he's never had a good coach, so, he's never been great. Could he be? Maybe, I don't know... I just know he's had a lot of bad coaches while in Atlanta. Andy Dalton was solid in Cincinnati, and he had bad coaches there. He may have been able to be a better QB with a better coach.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I will say this, I'd much rather have the draft picks for both Bowles and Leftwich leaving for HC jobs, than having them as our coordinators.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:23 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:10 pm I don’t see either of them as great head coaches but let’s be real, it’s all about the QB. Get yourself hooked up with a top quarterback and no one will know the difference.
I don't think that's necessarily true. There have been QB's that have had much better careers under a different coach. Alex Smith and Rich Gannon come to mind right off the top of my head. I think it's the right pairing of QB and coach that makes the difference. Look at Matt Ryan. He's at least a decent QB, but he's never had a good coach, so, he's never been great. Could he be? Maybe, I don't know... I just know he's had a lot of bad coaches while in Atlanta. Andy Dalton was solid in Cincinnati, and he had bad coaches there. He may have been able to be a better QB with a better coach.
Tom Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls with Eli Manning. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:28 pm I will say this, I'd much rather have the draft picks for both Bowles and Leftwich leaving for HC jobs, than having them as our coordinators.
Wut?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:37 pm
CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:28 pm I will say this, I'd much rather have the draft picks for both Bowles and Leftwich leaving for HC jobs, than having them as our coordinators.
Wut?
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pas ... ches-execs

"Teams that lose a minority coach or executive to a head coach or general manager job with another team will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years, per Pelissero. If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to HC and GM roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years."

Yeah, I'd much rather have 2 extra picks in the 3rd round 2 years in a row. I don't think Bowles or Leftwich are special. If someone wants them, they can have them.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

The fact of the matter is when you have Brady, you have 50% of an OC to begin with. I'm good with Byron moving on. Bowles is such a jeckyl and hyde with his DEF. One half I want to kiss him, the other I want to kick him in the balls. Can someone please take our Special Teams Coach please????
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:03 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:37 pm

Wut?
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pas ... ches-execs

"Teams that lose a minority coach or executive to a head coach or general manager job with another team will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years, per Pelissero. If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to HC and GM roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years."

Yeah, I'd much rather have 2 extra picks in the 3rd round 2 years in a row. I don't think Bowles or Leftwich are special. If someone wants them, they can have them.
Edit: misread.

Did not know this. Thanks.
Last edited by Backside on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nano

Post by Nano »

It's a Comp pick, the other team doesn't give up anything.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Op, missed that part.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buccabeer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:05 pm The fact of the matter is when you have Brady, you have 50% of an OC to begin with. I'm good with Byron moving on. Bowles is such a jeckyl and hyde with his DEF. One half I want to kiss him, the other I want to kick him in the balls. Can someone please take our Special Teams Coach please????
I don't think finding the right coach has a ton to with how their respective units played. It's relevant, but you're really looking at personality.

FWIW, I think Bowles was largely hamstrung by Sanchez then Darnold in NY. I think he's got it in him to be a good head coach. Leftwich? Based on what I've heard/read/seen, I'm not so sure. He comes off more like a trusted assistant than the guy who'd you want running the show. Wouldn't be the first thing I was wrong about though.

My guess is Bowles gets hired somewhere, Leftwich doesn't. And if Bowles does go, Kacy Rodgers almost certainly gets promoted here.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kacy Rodgers worked with Bowles in NY as his DC the entire time he was the Jets head coach. He's here exclusively because of that relationship.

I'd have to believe Bowles hires him as his DC before we would.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm
Buccabeer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:05 pm The fact of the matter is when you have Brady, you have 50% of an OC to begin with. I'm good with Byron moving on. Bowles is such a jeckyl and hyde with his DEF. One half I want to kiss him, the other I want to kick him in the balls. Can someone please take our Special Teams Coach please????
I don't think finding the right coach has a ton to with how their respective units played. It's relevant, but you're really looking at personality.

FWIW, I think Bowles was largely hamstrung by Sanchez then Darnold in NY. I think he's got it in him to be a good head coach. Leftwich? Based on what I've heard/read/seen, I'm not so sure. He comes off more like a trusted assistant than the guy who'd you want running the show. Wouldn't be the first thing I was wrong about though.

My guess is Bowles gets hired somewhere, Leftwich doesn't. And if Bowles does go, Kacy Rodgers almost certainly gets promoted here.
I'd like to see Bowles in Jacksonville.

Let him have Trevor Lawrence and hire a proven OC and QB coach with a track record of developing a young QB.

Bowles can focus on the defense where we know he'll get the run defense stout like his units have always been. Which would bode will in a division where you play Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry 2x each every season.

Plus with Bowles your getting a professional NFL coach that won't embarrass the franchise with personal antics (the opposite of Meyer) and that players seem to universally respect.
Last edited by Dread on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Teams have been doing it all wrong.

Tell me when was the last time a team hired a HC or OC to successfully develop a QB and it resulted in a Super Bowl win for said HC & QB? Never. Often times those operations fail because the other 52 spots are ignored and the team fails.

Hiring a head coach should be done with the mindset of catering to the entire roster. Same with an OC, catering to the entire offense. Not just the QB. The next time that operation works it'll be the 1st time.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Good post @Dread .

You can’t consistently win in the NFL with Sanchez and Darnold. Certainly not in a division with the Pars/Brady.

Bowles absolutely comes off as “a leader of men.” I’d like to see him get another crack at it with an actual QB.

And let’s be honest. If Arians had retired last year and Bowles took over…would this year have looked much different? Brady and Bowles strike me as the alphas of OBP.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Both Leftwich and Bowles getting a lot of traction. Rooting for them both.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Gotta get those Rooney interviews out-of-the-way
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am Gotta get those Rooney interviews out-of-the-way
Tell us the white candidates that are really gonna get the jobs..
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Sadly I think Leftwich and Bowles are easy Rooney rule check-boxes and nothing more. Given the team they coach for, it gives whichever club that interviews them plausible deniability and then they can quickly move on to their real candidates.

I'm 99% sure Arians is retiring this offseason as well. He has a ruptured achilles which will require surgery to fix. The rehab for that is going to be rough given that he's old, fat, and unhealthy. He's going to be in no shape to handle being a HC.

Which ultimately means we likely end up promoting Leftwich or Bowles to HC which will be pretty lame and cost us the diversity comp picks which we desperately need given all the roster turnover we're going to experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong though(not about Arians though, done with him).
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 am Sadly I think Leftwich and Bowles are easy Rooney rule check-boxes and nothing more. Given the team they coach for, it gives whichever club that interviews them plausible deniability and then they can quickly move on to their real candidates.

I'm 99% sure Arians is retiring this offseason as well. He has a ruptured achilles which will require surgery to fix. The rehab for that is going to be rough given that he's old, fat, and unhealthy. He's going to be in no shape to handle being a HC.

Which ultimately means we likely end up promoting Leftwich or Bowles to HC which will be pretty lame and cost us the diversity comp picks which we desperately need given all the roster turnover we're going to experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong though(not about Arians though, done with him).
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:06 am Tell us the white candidates that are really gonna get the jobs..
Snake

Post by Snake »

If a team hires Leftwich, that’s some major cringe.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Backside wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:57 pm Leftwich feels like an awful hire for the Jags.

So it’s definitely happening.
Good. They can have him. He will fail miserably there. You really can't trust the coordinator if the head coach has the same background and calls the plays.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am Gotta get those Rooney interviews out-of-the-way
I doubt that.

Look at the post above yours, where the Bears want to interview both of our coordinators and both the Bills'. Three out of four of those men are black; if this was a Rooney rule thing then only one of them would get a sniff.

I think the league (rightfully) thinks highly of them. I hope they advance their careers and think at least one of them is gonna be a head coach on another team next season.