NFL MVP Predictions

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

MVP will be..

Tom Brady
56%
Cooper Kupp
7%
Aaron Rodgers
23%
Matthew Stafford
5%
Johnathan Taylor
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 43

ATrain

Re: NFL MVP Predictions

Post by ATrain »

Our offense runs through Brady. He has more volume because the team literally depends on it. He's also the only QB that can throw it as much as he does and still win. Meanwhile when Rodgers is asked to throw the ball as often as Brady his win rate is abysmal.

If voters are just blindly looking at one or two stats and then auto awarding MVP based on that, then the entire award is meaningless and a Mickey Mouse endeavor.

Brady is the Most Valuable Player in the league. Period.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

When is the actual voting to take place? I know that the announcement is the night prior to the Super Bowl, but WHEN are they required to vote?

It may be as simple as which QB takes his team farther. If Brady loses before the NFCCG, then Rodgers will definitely get it. But if Rodgers loses early, Tom should be a lock.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 pm It will come down to the things that have decided 4 of the last 5 MVP races. TD% and QBR. 4 of the last 5 MVPs have led the league in both QBR and TD%.
Were those the only stats the winning QBs led in?

Did they lead in yards?
Did they lead in TDs?
Did they lead in first downs?
Did they lead in passes over 20 yards?
Did they only lead QBR by .3?
Did they lead PAA?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:16 pm Our offense runs through Brady. He has more volume because the team literally depends on it. He's also the only QB that can throw it as much as he does and still win. Meanwhile when Rodgers is asked to throw the ball as often as Brady his win rate is abysmal.

If voters are just blindly looking at one or two stats and then auto awarding MVP based on that, then the entire award is meaningless and a Mickey Mouse endeavor.

Brady is the Most Valuable Player in the league. Period.
Exactly what I've been saying since people tried for weeks to convince me that this IS a QB award.

The numbers reflect that you guys were right. It's a QB award. Lead in QBR & TD%=MVP.
Last edited by King Bootz on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:16 pm When is the actual voting to take place? I know that the announcement is the night prior to the Super Bowl, but WHEN are they required to vote?

It may be as simple as which QB takes his team farther. If Brady loses before the NFCCG, then Rodgers will definitely get it. But if Rodgers loses early, Tom should be a lock.
This week sometime. Also before the 1st playoff game.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

The GB offense is a fairly well-oiled machine. Buc offense never really felt like we saw it run smoothly for a whole game. Put Brady in the GB offense, I don't think it skips a beat. Not sure Rodgers can do the same with this offense. Not saying Rodgers is a bad or system QB, just think he needs a certain level of comfort in the office nse and his supporting cast. Brady showed last year coming to a new team and not being able to really practice with them that he's just on another level

For that reason, if it's down to these two I go with Brady.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm The GB offense is a fairly well-oiled machine. Buc offense never really felt like we saw it run smoothly for a whole game. Put Brady in the GB offense, I don't think it skips a beat. Not sure Rodgers can do the same with this offense. Not saying Rodgers is a bad or system QB, just think he needs a certain level of comfort in the office nse and his supporting cast. Brady showed last year coming to a new team and not being able to really practice with them that he's just on another level

Rodgers played with out his top 4 receivers and all but 1 starter on his line was out and played fine.

He is the reason why they are a well oiled machine.

Rodgers and Brady are great QBs. They both have traits that are better than the other. There's no need to stretch truths to build one up or tear another down.

The Packers have a better scheme, coaching, and balance, but we have better talent around Brady, arguably even with our recent injuries.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Wait wait wait....Now Brady is the GOAT no question.....But I KNOW people aren't trying to tear Aaron Rodgers ability down like he won't be in the HOF 5 years after he retires. I know that's not what I'm seeing.

Rodgers can run any system successfully and has the added element of his mobility. From a pure God given physical talent standpoint, I don't think there's ever been a more physically gifted QB in football.

What makes Brady great is more so his mentality, his command of the QB position, his smarts. Probably neck and neck with Peyton as greatest QB before the snap. Rodgers isn't that great but there's nothing he can't do. He's by far the most accurate QB ever and his arm is better than Brady's.

To say he wouldn't be successful in our offense is a pure lie and anyone who calls themself a fan of this league needs to find another sport.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I really think Brady earned it this year. Both had great seasons and are deserving. But it does bug me how easily the winds change on this. It was Brady’s to lose a month ago. One terrible game and I’ve hardly heard his name in the discussion since. He lost half his offense, didn’t lose another game. And locked up lead league in every counting stat for QB, by a wide margin (especially vs Rodgers). And he’s the GOAT at 44 years old, and hasn’t won MVP for several years. You’re telling me he doesn’t have a chance? It’s just odd.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:16 pm When is the actual voting to take place? I know that the announcement is the night prior to the Super Bowl, but WHEN are they required to vote?

The vote already happened. That's why Patrick thinks Rodgers won.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:32 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm The GB offense is a fairly well-oiled machine. Buc offense never really felt like we saw it run smoothly for a whole game. Put Brady in the GB offense, I don't think it skips a beat. Not sure Rodgers can do the same with this offense. Not saying Rodgers is a bad or system QB, just think he needs a certain level of comfort in the office nse and his supporting cast. Brady showed last year coming to a new team and not being able to really practice with them that he's just on another level

Rodgers played with out his top 4 receivers and all but 1 starter on his line was out and played fine.

He is the reason why they are a well oiled machine.

Rodgers and Brady are great QBs. They both have traits that are better than the other. There's no need to stretch truths to build one up or tear another down.

The Packers have a better scheme, coaching, and balance, but we have better talent around Brady, arguably even with our recent injuries.
Not stretching truths. Every team has missing pieces due to injury, the players stepping in are ones that are already on the team. I don't know that Rodgers can do what Brady did last year and just step into a new team and new offense while getting the same results.

Like I said, not diminishing his skills or talent. Brady doesn't have the arm talent or the mobility that Rodgers has, just think Brady is better at the cerebral/leadership part.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:33 pm Wait wait wait....Now Brady is the GOAT no question.....But I KNOW people aren't trying to tear Aaron Rodgers ability down like he won't be in the HOF 5 years after he retires. I know that's not what I'm seeing.

Rodgers can run any system successfully and has the added element of his mobility. From a pure God given physical talent standpoint, I don't think there's ever been a more physically gifted QB in football.

What makes Brady great is more so his mentality, his command of the QB position, his smarts. Probably neck and neck with Peyton as greatest QB before the snap. Rodgers isn't that great but there's nothing he can't do. He's by far the most accurate QB ever and his arm is better than Brady's.

To say he wouldn't be successful in our offense is a pure lie and anyone who calls themself a fan of this league needs to find another sport.
Lighten up Francis. Didn't say he wouldn't be successful or had no talent. Just don't think he'd have achieved the same results Brady did last season in the same circumstances. You really do love to take people's posts at the extreme don't you?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

This is 100% stretching the truth
Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm Not sure Rodgers can do the same with this offense. Not saying Rodgers is a bad or system QB, just think he needs a certain level of comfort in the office nse and his supporting cast.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Imagine thinking Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be successful throwing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown*, and Rob Gronkowski. Wow! Now I've heard it all.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:59 pm Imagine thinking Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be successful throwing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown*, and Rob Gronkowski. Wow! Now I've heard it all.
Ya, I think it's fair to guess he'd outperform Brady statistically, especially against teams with good pressure due to his movement in the pocket, but it's equally fair to assume he wouldn't have lifted the rest of the team up, especially in the playoffs.

Neither are known and both would still be elite in each other's offense, but obviously we can't say for sure.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:59 pm Imagine thinking Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be successful throwing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown*, and Rob Gronkowski. Wow! Now I've heard it all.
Ya, I think it's fair to guess he'd outperform Brady statistically, especially against teams with good pressure due to his movement in the pocket, but it's equally fair to assume he wouldn't have lifted the rest of the team up, especially in the playoffs.

Neither are known and both would still be elite in each other's offense, but obviously we can't say for sure.
The guy threw 48 TDs to Davante Adams and a who's who of supporting characters. Some guy named Robert Tonyan caught 11 TD passes last year.

What I'd be interested to see with Rodgers in BAs system is whether his turnovers would go up. He hasn't thrown double digit INTs since 2010 and overall has 93 INTs in 213 career games.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 pm You [@King Bootz ] really do love to take people's posts at the extreme don't you?
That is his one schtick. It was tired years ago but he is one dog that can not learn a new trick.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Remember when Steve McNair and Peyton Manning were co-MVPs in the 2003 season?

I doubt anyone would be mad at Brady and Rodgers splitting the title.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Tom Brady was the highest-graded QB this season according to Pro Football Focus
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

I learned there's a bunch of posters that get their covid information from FB. Morons.
nybf

Post by nybf »

AJPG wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am I learned there's a bunch of posters that get their covid information from FB. Morons.
You're the real MVP
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

AJPG wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am I learned there's a bunch of posters that get their covid information from FB. Morons.
Hey… don’t hate on BIBL so openly like that.

I believe we lost the other nutbag in JB though.
Dread

Post by Dread »

MVP is a QB award b/c elite QBs are more instrumental and influential in the outcome of a game than any other position.

As great as Jonathan Taylor was or even Henry when he's healthy, they don't influence the game anywhere close to a QB.

If you have an elite QB you ALWAYS have a chance. It's the only position where that is true and it's why they get paid twice as much.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 pm This is 100% stretching the truth
Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm Not sure Rodgers can do the same with this offense. Not saying Rodgers is a bad or system QB, just think he needs a certain level of comfort in the office nse and his supporting cast.
No, that is not stretching the truth. That is an opinion. Please learn the difference.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am MVP is a QB award b/c elite QBs are more instrumental and influential in the outcome of a game than any other position.

As great as Jonathan Taylor was or even Henry when he's healthy, they don't influence the game anywhere close to a QB.

If you have an elite QB you ALWAYS have a chance. It's the only position where that is true and it's why they get paid twice as much.
Yes, given the context of the modern NFL, no other position can provide as much value as QBs and it's not even close.

Case in point, Henry and Taylor. Both were getting MVP talks about midway through the season and still gets mentioned even now. Yet Henry goes down midway through the season and the Titans barely skipped a beat in securing the #1 overall seed. Meanwhile, Taylor supplanted Henry as the leagues best RB and was helpless while the Colts got blown out by the Jaguars due to Wentz being historically terrible and the Jaguars doing a good job shutting down the run.

How about Cooper Kupp? Well we watched him play amazing against the 49ers, yet no matter how well he played, his value still can't overcome what Stafford brings(or in this case doesn't bring) to the table as Matt chokes by throwing a game losing interception.

It's cute to mention other positions for MVP, but it's not grounded in reality.
Dread

Post by Dread »

ATrain wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:25 am
Dread wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am MVP is a QB award b/c elite QBs are more instrumental and influential in the outcome of a game than any other position.

Yes, given the context of the modern NFL, no other position can provide as much value as QBs and it's not even close.

Case in point, Henry and Taylor. Both were getting MVP talks about midway through the season and still gets mentioned even now. Yet Henry goes down midway through the season and the Titans barely skipped a beat in securing the #1 overall seed. Meanwhile, Taylor supplanted Henry as the leagues best RB and was helpless while the Colts got blown out by the Jaguars due to Wentz being historically terrible and the Jaguars doing a good job shutting down the run.

How about Cooper Kupp? Well we watched him play amazing against the 49ers, yet no matter how well he played, his value still can't overcome what Stafford brings(or in this case doesn't bring) to the table as Matt chokes by throwing a game losing interception.

It's cute to mention other positions for MVP, but it's not grounded in reality.
Yup, I'd argue that Matt Stafford is more valuable to Rams than Cooper Kupp is. That is no disrespect to Kupp, who just had one of the best seasons in NFL history for a WR.

Kupp is a better WR than Stafford is a QB relative to their peers, but Stafford is still the more valuable player. Which is why the "Most Valuable Player" is a now a QB award.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Reading comprehension is apparently a lost art. I'll try this slower for you.

I don't think the Bucs win the SB last season with Rodgers as QB. Not that he'd have a losing season. I'd put money on Brady winning it with GB if he was there.

Food for thought on Rodgers:

1) He ranks 40th all-time in comeback wins. 11 of his 18 are against the Lions and Bears. Jay Cutler, Kerry Collins and Vinny Testeverde all have more.

2) He is 41-44-1 in his career against teams that finish over.500 for the season. (Brady is 80-50 FWIW)

3) Rodgers is abysmal when it comes to beating winning teams when GB is behind in the 4th quarter with his lone win being this year against the 49ers. 1-41 in his career (I removed the Fail Mary game).

4) Since winning the Super Bowl in 2010, he's 7-8 in the playoffs.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:03 pm Reading comprehension is apparently a lost art. I'll try this slower for you.

I don't think the Bucs win the SB last season with Rodgers as QB. Not that he'd have a losing season. I'd put money on Brady winning it with GB if he was there.

1) He ranks 40th all-time in comeback wins. 11 of his 18 are against the Lions and Bears. Jay Cutler, Kerry Collins and Vinny Testeverde all have more.

2) He is 41-44-1 in his career against teams that finish over.500 for the season. (Brady is 80-50 FWIW)

3) Rodgers is abysmal when it comes to beating winning teams when GB is behind in the 4th quarter with his lone win being this year against the 49ers. 1-41 in his career (I removed the Fail Mary game).

I agree. If we swapped Brady and Rodgers last year, GB has whatever lame and boring equivalent to a boat parade instead of us. We do NOT win the SB with Rodgers.

We needed more than just a low turnover ratio. Brady is a leader of men. Rodgers is a front runner that wilts under pressure. There's a reason he's 1-4 in NFC championship games and his awful stats demonstrate why.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cowherd hates Rodgers more than Skip Bayless does. This has been known for years.

I also love how you posted a video that refutes a point you just agreed with right off the bat. WINS ARE NOT A QB STAT.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Cowherd hates Rodgers more than Skip Bayless does. This has been known for years.

I also love how you posted a video that refutes a point you just agreed with right off the bat. WINS ARE NOT A QB STAT.
Never said wins are a QB stat. But Rodgers has been dogshit overall in NFC championship games and his stats demonstrate that.

Rodgers leads in one stat, passer rating. Cool. Great. Brady leads in way more categories and by a larger margin.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:09 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Cowherd hates Rodgers more than Skip Bayless does. This has been known for years.

Never said wins are a QB stat. But Rodgers has been dogshit overall in NFC championship games and his stats demonstrate that.

Rodgers leads in one stat, passer rating. Cool. Great. Brady leads in way more categories and by a larger margin.
I also love how you posted a video that refutes a point you just agreed
Reading is fundamental.

Also I don't think MVP awards are based off of past results in past playoff appearances.

You're ignoring the common denominator. TD%+QBR=MVP.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:03 pm Reading comprehension is apparently a lost art. I'll try this slower for you.

Your #1 and #4 points are confusing me. The first stat is true for 4th quarter comebacks. How can he have 18 4th quarter comebacks and be 1-41 when behind in the 4th quarter?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Your #1 and #4 points are confusing me. The first stat is true for 4th quarter comebacks. How can he have 18 4th quarter comebacks and be 1-41 when behind in the 4th quarter?
Presumably the other 17 wins are against teams w/ losing record as the 1-41 was against teams w/ winning record.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm Your #1 and #4 points are confusing me. The first stat is true for 4th quarter comebacks. How can he have 18 4th quarter comebacks and be 1-41 when behind in the 4th quarter?
The 1-41 stat is against teams with winning records. The majority of his comeback wins are against the Lions and Bears who have rarely had winning records in the years Rodgers has been in the league. So the comebacks are against losing teams.