NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Post by King Bootz »

Croc usually runs this thread but I imagine he didn't do one because it doesn't seem as if there will be a ton of vacancies. Las Vegas and Jacksonville will obviously have new head coach. Beyond that though, most teams seem to be middle of the pack. The worst teams all have 1st year head coaches.

Any teams you guys think could be looking at coaching changes?

Jaguars: Urban Meyer FIRED
Raiders: Jon Gruden FIRED
Broncos: Vic Fangio WARMING AND GETTING WARMER HOT FIRED
Vikings: Mike Zimmer LUKEWARM HOT FIRED
Bears: Matt Nagy HOT FIRED
Dolphins: Brian Flores FIRED
Giants: Joe Judge HOT SAFE FIRED
Texans: David Culley FIRED
Panthers: Matt Rhule SIMMERING SAFE
Last edited by King Bootz on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 12 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Re: NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Post by uscbucsfan »

People in Carolina are calling for Rhule to be fired. They really hate him, what he's done with Darnold/Bridgewater, not drafting a QB, and bringing Cam back.

Most seem to think he's an idiot.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:48 pm People in Carolina are calling for Rhule to be fired. They really hate him, what he's done with Darnold/Bridgewater, not drafting a QB, and bringing Cam back.

But he's such a great head coach
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Who coaches NYG… for the next three games at least???… he gone
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

We're going to have a new HC in 2022. Arians already said that if Leftwich left, he'd retire and so far Byron is getting a ton of buzz around him for the Jags job.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

If Bruce retires and Brady stays I want McDaniels so fucking hard. I don't think McDaniels will even necessarily be a great HC, especially post-Brady, but there is definitive proof that the two of them can work magic with an offense.

Of course we'd probably just promote Bowles and then all is potentially lost.
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

Nagy is gone for sure as well. I wonder about Minnesota too. They seem to have reached their limit with that coaching staff.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

wesmon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:11 pm Nagy is gone for sure as well. I wonder about Minnesota too. They seem to have reached their limit with that coaching staff.
Zimmer has a chance to save his job by making the playoffs, albeit not a very good chance. They finish the year with Rams, @Packers, Bears. They are the leader of that logjam of teams sitting at 7-7 with the 7th spot. The Rams/Cardinals seemed destined for the 5th spot and San Francisco is getting hot and putting some distance between the 6th & 7th spots.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:16 pm Who coaches NYG… for the next three games at least???… he gone
Completely forgot about Judge. Yet another undeserving Belichick disciple that got a HC job. He genuinely seems way in over his head. He's gone for sure.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Is Mike Tomlin truly untouchable? Does he go and Ben goes with the hope of a new era?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:24 pm Is Mike Tomlin truly untouchable? Does he go and Ben goes with the hope of a new era?
Untouchable? Yes. Pittsburgh is the exception when it comes to head coaches. 3 head coaches since 1969. The Bucs weren't even in the league yet 2 Steelers coaches ago.

Not only that, Tomlin has been there for 14 years now and has yet to have a losing season. Not only that, he signed a multiyear extension 7 months ago.

Pittsburgh isn't as knee jerk as most franchises are. Tomlin will probably be there for as long as he wants.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 pm
Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:24 pm Is Mike Tomlin truly untouchable? Does he go and Ben goes with the hope of a new era?
Untouchable? Yes. Pittsburgh is the exception when it comes to head coaches. 3 head coaches since 1969. The Bucs weren't even in the league yet 2 Steelers coaches ago.

Not only that, Tomlin has been there for 14 years now and has yet to have a losing season. Not only that, he signed a multiyear extension 7 months ago.

Pittsburgh isn't as knee jerk as most franchises are. Tomlin will probably be there for as long as he wants.
I actually forgot about his extension. You raise the correct points otherwise because I had no idea how much longer he had to go and figured he had to be at the end of his contract or very close and it could've been a matter of not renewing the deal. Sure enough he re-signed 7 months ago. Yeah definitely nevermind then. This little question can go get buried
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

ATrain wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm We're going to have a new HC in 2022. Arians already said that if Leftwich left, he'd retire and so far Byron is getting a ton of buzz around him for the Jags job.
I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

If that happens, I'd assume that Todd Bowles is our new head coach, and I wouldn't hate it. I would like to see a really strong young offensive coordinator under Bowles in that scenario, but that remains a talk for another day.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:44 pm
wesmon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:11 pm Nagy is gone for sure as well. I wonder about Minnesota too. They seem to have reached their limit with that coaching staff.
Zimmer has a chance to save his job by making the playoffs, albeit not a very good chance. They finish the year with Rams, @Packers, Bears. They are the leader of that logjam of teams sitting at 7-7 with the 7th spot. The Rams/Cardinals seemed destined for the 5th spot and San Francisco is getting hot and putting some distance between the 6th & 7th spots.
Vikings are a competitive team. I think they are coached well. The reason they aren't a better team has more to do with the (lack of) depth on the roster imo.

Not sure Zimmer is the guy who gets them over the top, but careful what you wish for. You can do MUCH worse than Mike Zimmer.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Zimmer constantly gets blown out in big games, refuses to give young guys a chance way past the point they should be in there, keeps Sean Mannion on the roster, is ultra conservative and thus keeps games close that they should pull away in and then they end up losing, and the defense hasn't been good this year. I watch them and hope he gets fired but if he wins out he deserves another year.

Fun fact: Zimmer has a girlfriend way out of his league who could marry people twice as wealthy as him.

I agree with the sentiment of hiring McDaniels if Arians leaves. I like offensive head coaches.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

I can see Pete Carroll losing his job. Maybe more of a here's your Rolex Watch, please retire to save face. DK Metcalf's career is being wasted. He's a one man wrecking machine who is running routes I ran in an empty field in grade school.
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

Redrum wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 pm Zimmer constantly gets blown out in big games, refuses to give young guys a chance way past the point they should be in there, keeps Sean Mannion on the roster, is ultra conservative and thus keeps games close that they should pull away in and then they end up losing, and the defense hasn't been good this year. I watch them and hope he gets fired but if he wins out he deserves another year.

Fun fact: Zimmer has a girlfriend way out of his league who could marry people twice as wealthy as him.

I agree with the sentiment of hiring McDaniels if Arians leaves. I like offensive head coaches.

Midlife crisis anyone?

But hey, I would do it too if I could
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

ATrain wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm We're going to have a new HC in 2022. Arians already said that if Leftwich left, he'd retire and so far Byron is getting a ton of buzz around him for the Jags job.
I have heard that and think the team may lose Arians, Leftwich, and Brady. It will be an interesting off-season. I am hoping they can get another ring before that happens but I think the window is this year only.
Snake

Post by Snake »

wesmon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:25 pm
Redrum wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 pm Zimmer constantly gets blown out in big games, refuses to give young guys a chance way past the point they should be in there, keeps Sean Mannion on the roster, is ultra conservative and thus keeps games close that they should pull away in and then they end up losing, and the defense hasn't been good this year. I watch them and hope he gets fired but if he wins out he deserves another year.

Midlife crisis anyone?

But hey, I would do it too if I could
Money and power really are amazing things.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:16 pm
I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

If that happens, I'd assume that Todd Bowles is our new head coach, and I wouldn't hate it. I would like to see a really strong young offensive coordinator under Bowles in that scenario, but that remains a talk for another day.
“If I lost Byron or Todd [Bowles], I’d have to think about [quitting] because not losing any coaches this year makes next year so much easier and so much easier to repeat,” Arians said. “But once you start deleting your coaching staff, I don’t want to go back to calling plays. And Byron right now is still the only guy I trust doing it. And I’d have to think long and hard if I was going to lose him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ays-again/
Snake

Post by Snake »

“I only trust Byron to run my idiotic and inflexible offense.”

That’s pretty on brand for Arians.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:47 pm “I only trust Byron to run my idiotic and inflexible offense.”

"Byron is the only one stubborn enough to run only go routes and deep posts on 3rd and 1. I like that. I like that a lot."
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:53 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:47 pm “I only trust Byron to run my idiotic and inflexible offense.”

"Byron is the only one stubborn enough to run only go routes and deep posts on 3rd and 1. I like that. I like that a lot."

Situational football to Arians is when everyone is on the line or in the box on defense. That's one on one on the outsides baby!
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

I was just trying to wrap my head around someone stating that Lefty was the only person he trusted to run his offense. No wonder our offensive gameplans suck ass - we've got united idiocy in charge.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:53 pm

I'm sure it's nice for Bruce to not have someone turn to him and ask "Hey Bruce, isn't it retarderd to throw 40 yard low percentage sideline passes on 3rd and 1?".
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:57 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:48 pm People in Carolina are calling for Rhule to be fired. They really hate him, what he's done with Darnold/Bridgewater, not drafting a QB, and bringing Cam back.

Just so we're clear, you're saying that an informal fan reckoning is evidence of something? I don't think that's true.

You're so quick to identify when fans are being irrational in your opinion. This is irrational also. The Panthers didn't ignore any great QB options over the last two drafts/offseasons, unless we're all going to pretend we thought Mac Jones was in play there. Instead they've completely rebuilt their roster and are in a position to plug a QB in who has the potential to succeed early. They've pretty much gone BPA and avoided bad contract obligations. Their defense is friggin' loaded and they have some young talent on offense.

Frankly, I hope they fire Matt Rhule, because it would be really, really silly.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:02 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Frankly, I hope they fire Matt Rhule, because it would be really, really silly.
Yea because it's working out so well for them :roll:
Nano

Post by Nano »

I mean, that's just an outside view of the dysfunction in Carolina right now. From players finding out news about themselves during press conferences to Rhule throwing his QB under the bus(and 3 days later coming out to the media to apologize) for situations that don't happen as told.

Not to mention his handling of the QB situation

Like...why.

There's a reason that 90% of the fanbase is openly calling for him to be fired, and it's almost amusing that one of his few defenders is a Bucs fan.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

His handling of the QB situation has been comical. Cam Newton has seemingly been "benched" in every game over the last couple of weeks. Rhule is platooning the QB spot with Cam and PJ Walker. Now Darnold will be back in the mix?

He's not yet equipped to run an NFL team.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I heard Todd Bowles is expected to interview with the Raiders. Very high chance we lose both coordinators..
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Redrum wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:38 pm I heard Todd Bowles is expected to interview with the Raiders. Very high chance we lose both coordinators..

High chance? To whom? Errr you…?

LOL
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:43 pm
Redrum wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:38 pm I heard Todd Bowles is expected to interview with the Raiders. Very high chance we lose both coordinators..

High chance? To whom? Errr you…?

LOL
You don't think they'll get head coaching jobs? Jaguars seem pretty interested in Byron.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Both are deserving of the opportunity.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Bowles would surprise me. Not that I don't think he deserves it, but it kind of feels like he's being groomed to take over once Arians retires.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Nano wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:31 pm Bowles would surprise me. Not that I don't think he deserves it, but it kind of feels like he's being groomed to take over once Arians retires.
We'll know whether promises were made if he takes interviews or not.